Most popular Scottish Premiership grounds

Rick James

According to this poll - https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/where-do-easter-road-and-tynecastle-park-rank-most-popular-scottish-premiership-grounds-thousands-fans-vote-12-top-flight-stadiums-2531016

Ugly sisters top 2. Hibs 3rd, Hearts 4th. Lot of shite that the OF occupy the top 2 spots. I'll assume that whoever took part was allowed to vote for their own club.

Little descriptions underneath each entry mention some criteria on which grounds were scored on. Would be interested to see the full results.

What's your favourite away day?

Can't be arsed ranking each ground from 1-12, but I will gladly give a wee description on my thoughts on each of them.

Celtic and Rangers - file under the same description. Shite. Sure, they're big, noisy, and it's great when you win there. But, you're herded like sheep inside, stuck in the corner and herded out again. I refuse to believe any fans of the other 10 clubs actually enjoy going there. Oh, and you can't enjoy any hospitality remotely close to the ground for your own safety.

Hearts and Hibs - always deserve to rank highly in these polls. Can see why fans love coming to both grounds. For OF fans, they get a derby like atmosphere, and for non OF fans, they get a day out in Edinburgh. Both grounds in well built areas with many great pubs in walking distance.

Aberdeen - sorry, but it's pretty shite eh? I mean, I quite enjoy it as it's the only other away day that's always got a bit of needle between fans, and makes for a decent atmosphere. But it's surrounding area is a shitehole, the ground is a bit of a shitehole, and it costs a ****ing fortune to get there.

Hamilton - only good thing about it is it's next to the train station meaning you can get the **** out of there. Strange ground, and it only has atmosphere when a team takes a decent away crowd.

Kilmarnock - only been twice, won both. Nice enough ground, but too big for them and no real atmosphere between sets of fans. Easy enough to get to though, and plenty pubs in Killie.

Livi - really is a bit shite, but I like it at the same time. Grounds far too big for them but it's great when we take a big crowd. Trek from the train station though, and all a bit soulless.

Motherwell - shite. Another which can house a good crowd, but it's a fair walk to and from the station, and the locals don't really like us do they? Ground is a dump.

Ross County - only top flight ground I've not done so can't comment, but I know people like it.

St Johnstone - nice enough ground, if not too big for the home team. In a nice enough area, but in a town of its size, I don't think they could've picked it any further away from the train station and town centre

St Mirren - call me strange, but I like it. Think its the ground of done most outwith Edinburgh. Short train journey from Glasgow, good few pubs in Paisley, and close enough to the station. Good modern stadium, not too small but not too big either. 

Remember years ago when you had to have a 10K capacity stadium to gain promotion to the SPL . Falkirk and Clyde got screwed over a couple times it can remember right . I don’t mind Rugby Park and Livingston not bad stadiums . You missed out Dens Park horrible ground .

I've never seen Easter Road rated above Tynecastle before apart from in the mouse droppings count.

Why would Parkhead and Ibrox be favourite away grounds. 

Both grounds away fans are stuck in a corner with restricted views, dogs abuse and spit and all kinds of shit getting thrown at you. 

The fact that Hearts take less fans to these venues should mean something. 

I can't speak for other fans but I would imagine they are the same. Unless people enjoy being locked in for 15 minutes for some weird reason. 

As for Easter Road no way is that a better day out than Tynecastle. 

Especially as we have a free offer of three free points to everyone. 😁

132goals1958

I think if you asked  fans of the individual clubs their favourite away day, Tynecastle would come out on top.

17 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

I think if you asked  fans of the individual clubs their favourite away day, Tynecastle would come out on top.

It certainly has in any poll I’ve seen in the past of favourite awaydays. 

Stupid Sexy Flanders

Haven't been to Parkhead since probably 1998 but went to Ibrox twice (well three times really) in the Championship season. It's fine when you're in the ground but doesn't feel safe coming out of that wee corner after the game, surrounded by the horrible ***** on both sides. Think a few Jambos took a sore face after the abandoned game. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Locky said:

According to this poll - https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/where-do-easter-road-and-tynecastle-park-rank-most-popular-scottish-premiership-grounds-thousands-fans-vote-12-top-flight-stadiums-2531016

Ugly sisters top 2. Hibs 3rd, Hearts 4th. Lot of shite that the OF occupy the top 2 spots. I'll assume that whoever took part was allowed to vote for their own club.

Little descriptions underneath each entry mention some criteria on which grounds were scored on. Would be interested to see the full results.

What's your favourite away day?

Who in their right mind would enjoy going anywhere near those two absolute shiteholes in Glasgow, Hampden is bad enough 🤷🏾‍♂️🤔🙈.

Dunfermline for me I think. 

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, Stupid Sexy Flanders said:

Haven't been to Parkhead since probably 1998 but went to Ibrox twice (well three times really) in the Championship season. It's fine when you're in the ground but doesn't feel safe coming out of that wee corner after the game, surrounded by the horrible ***** on both sides. Think a few Jambos took a sore face after the abandoned game. 

Absolutely, it’s the only time it’s worth being seen as their wee pals. Can only Imagine what it’s like for the Hibs fans.

Edited by Pasquale for King

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Remember years ago when you had to have a 10K capacity stadium to gain promotion to the SPL . Falkirk and Clyde got screwed over a couple times it can remember right . I don’t mind Rugby Park and Livingston not bad stadiums . You missed out Dens Park horrible ground .

It was only recently I realised that rule was so there was enough away space for the uglies and their cretinous fans.

been here before

Away grounds always depend on the travelling support. Lets presume things are going well and we're taking a decent support with us...

Easter Road is probably the best once you're in.

Motherwell can be a good day as can Rugby Park.

Livvy/St Mirren much of an identikit muchness as is Dingwall but with a long drive or overnight stay.

Hamilton I dont mind despite it only being half a ground. Perth is pretty grim and souless.

Ibrox/Parkhead refuse to go.

I like Dens, Tannadice isnt that bad.

Few good wee old school ground in the Championship and the League Cup has thrown up a few interesting ones recently. Elgin and Cove I both liked.

Pittodrie is by far the worst.

2 hours ago, luckydug said:

Why would Parkhead and Ibrox be favourite away grounds. 

Both grounds away fans are stuck in a corner with restricted views, dogs abuse and spit and all kinds of shit getting thrown at you. 

The fact that Hearts take less fans to these venues should mean something. 

I can't speak for other fans but I would imagine they are the same. Unless people enjoy being locked in for 15 minutes for some weird reason. 

As for Easter Road no way is that a better day out than Tynecastle. 

Especially as we have a free offer of three free points to everyone. 😁

Spot on.

And as for your last comment, I tried not to point that out. :)

1 hour ago, upgotheheads said:

Didn't Tynecastle rank as one of the best grounds for atmosphere in Europe?

Wasn't some world class player bigging up the atmosphere, saying it was one of the best he played in? Can't remember who now.

3 hours ago, been here before said:

Away grounds always depend on the travelling support. Lets presume things are going well and we're taking a decent support with us...

Easter Road is probably the best once you're in.

Motherwell can be a good day as can Rugby Park.

Livvy/St Mirren much of an identikit muchness as is Dingwall but with a long drive or overnight stay.

Hamilton I dont mind despite it only being half a ground. Perth is pretty grim and souless.

Ibrox/Parkhead refuse to go.

I like Dens, Tannadice isnt that bad.

Few good wee old school ground in the Championship and the League Cup has thrown up a few interesting ones recently. Elgin and Cove I both liked.

Pittodrie is by far the worst.

Palmerston won hands down when we were in the Championship.

Covid 19 wouldn't survive in the gents urinals.

5 hours ago, Blackshades said:

The poll forgot to thank Baird's bar and the loudon tavern for hosting the count of the poll

Baird's Bar has been shut for years but I know what you mean. Used to love going in there before SLF at The Barras. The only time I ever felt safe on that side of town.

4 hours ago, Locky said:

Wasn't some world class player bigging up the atmosphere, saying it was one of the best he played in? Can't remember who now.

Maybe not who you're meaning but Steven Gerrard said: 

‘I would love to be playing in this’. What a set-up Tynecastle is, what a stadium.

“Fans on your shoulders, banter is flying, and you can hear it all from both sets of supporters.'

3 hours ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Easter Road is shit. Pointless poll when you have Tynecastle below Easter Road.

Easter Road is the game I look forward to all season every year.  It’s brilliant. Bridge of doom, the enemy you can’t beat it.  

Been in the main stand at Celtic for Scotland games and the it’s a really good stand. The main stand at Ibrox has he-haw legroom. I thought the main stand at Easter Road was meh for the Inverness league cup games. 

I don’t mind the away end at St Mirren actually- nice size, very near the train station, though Hearts never win there.

Hamilton, Aberdeen and Motherwell are dumps. The sun is in the away ends eyes at Livingston, St Johnstone’s location is crap, not been to Killie in twenty years and never been to Ross County. 

6 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

‘I would love to be playing in this’. What a set-up Tynecastle is, what a stadium.

“Fans on your shoulders, banter is flying, and you can hear it all from both sets of supporters.'

Seen that comment somewhere last week and it reminded me of the one i'm thinking of. I think there was a thread on quotes about Hearts. Will have a dig around for it.

6 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

Had a look at said thread, and I've come to the conclusion that the world class figure I was on about was, ahem, Hugh Dallas. :rofl:

In fairness, his quote was regarding how Tynecastle trumped the Maracana and other iconic grounds he's reffed at. Because of the grounds mentioned, I think I thought it had to be some world class pro.

7 hours ago, Locky said:

Can't be arsed ranking each ground from 1-12, but I will gladly give a wee description on my thoughts on each of them.

Celtic and Rangers - file under the same description. Shite. Sure, they're big, noisy, and it's great when you win there. But, you're herded like sheep inside, stuck in the corner and herded out again. I refuse to believe any fans of the other 10 clubs actually enjoy going there. Oh, and you can't enjoy any hospitality remotely close to the ground for your own safety.

Hearts and Hibs - always deserve to rank highly in these polls. Can see why fans love coming to both grounds. For OF fans, they get a derby like atmosphere, and for non OF fans, they get a day out in Edinburgh. Both grounds in well built areas with many great pubs in walking distance.

Aberdeen - sorry, but it's pretty shite eh? I mean, I quite enjoy it as it's the only other away day that's always got a bit of needle between fans, and makes for a decent atmosphere. But it's surrounding area is a shitehole, the ground is a bit of a shitehole, and it costs a ****ing fortune to get there.

Hamilton - only good thing about it is it's next to the train station meaning you can get the **** out of there. Strange ground, and it only has atmosphere when a team takes a decent away crowd.

Kilmarnock - only been twice, won both. Nice enough ground, but too big for them and no real atmosphere between sets of fans. Easy enough to get to though, and plenty pubs in Killie.

Livi - really is a bit shite, but I like it at the same time. Grounds far too big for them but it's great when we take a big crowd. Trek from the train station though, and all a bit soulless.

Motherwell - shite. Another which can house a good crowd, but it's a fair walk to and from the station, and the locals don't really like us do they? Ground is a dump.

Ross County - only top flight ground I've not done so can't comment, but I know people like it.

St Johnstone - nice enough ground, if not too big for the home team. In a nice enough area, but in a town of its size, I don't think they could've picked it any further away from the train station and town centre

St Mirren - call me strange, but I like it. Think its the ground of done most outwith Edinburgh. Short train journey from Glasgow, good few pubs in Paisley, and close enough to the station. Good modern stadium, not too small but not too big either. 

Never been to Parkhead for a Celtic match since 1990, hate the place. Never been to Ibrox for Rangers either since around 1991. Have been when used as neutral grounds against others. Aberdeen is a pain in the arse, 1991 for that one as well. Been to McDermaid Park a few times, never ever got to the old Muirton Park before it was built. Think McDermaid is quite shite in the middle of nowhere. As for Lanarkshire, used to go to Hamilton's old Douglas Park, never been to the new place and have no intention to go, horrible little ground for a horrible little club. I'd far rather go to Fir Park out of the two, and have done many times over the years. Always enjoyed away days up in Dundee. Prefer Tannadice to Dens Park and would still go. I prefer the old terracing grounds. Love Street was pretty decent with a couple of boozers outside the ground, never been to new St Mirren Park. Old Rugby Park was pretty decent to go to. It's still pretty good now but a bit soulless with their crap support. Never done any highland grounds. Don't mind going through to Livingston as it's only along the road but another soulless place. Must be terrible when the play the likes of St Johnstone or Hamilton. Fester Road is a place I hate. The trouble you'd get trying to get away from the inbreds after the final whistle was always an issue. Haven't been there for a Hibs game since'96 but been there for two semi's, both of which we lost. St Johnstone in '98 and Motherwell in '04.

Give me the old terracing days over seated stadiums anyday. Falkirk, Airdrie, Morton, were other favourites from the 80s.

Edited by jambonian

2 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Never been to Parkhead for a Celtic match since 1990, hate the place. Never been to Ibrox for Rangers either since around 1991. Have been when used as neutral grounds against others. Aberdeen is a pain in the arse, 1991 for that one as well. Been to McDermaid Park a few times, never ever got to the old Muirton Park before it was built. Think McDermaid is quite shite in the middle of nowhere. As for Lanarkshire, used to go to Hamilton's old Douglas Park, never been to the new place and have no intention to go, horrible little ground for a horrible little club. I'd far rather go to Fir Park out of the two, and have done many times over the years. Always enjoyed away days up in Dundee. Prefer Tannadice to Dens Park and would still go. I prefer the old terracing grounds. Love Street was pretty decent with a couple of boozers outside the ground, never been to new St Mirren Park. Old Rugby Park was pretty decent to go to. It's still pretty good now but a bit soulless with their crap support. Never done any highland grounds. Fester Road is a place I hate. The trouble you'd get trying to get away from the inbreds after the final whistle was always an issue. Haven't been there for a Hibs game since'96 but been there for two semi's, both of which we lost. St Johnstone in '98 and Motherwell in '04.

Give me the old terracing days over seated stadiums anyday. Falkirk, Airdrie, Morton, were other favourites from the 80s.

St Johnstone is a pain that way, but depends on what sort of away day you're looking for. There's either the fairly no thrills supporters bus job, which goes straight to the match and back, in which Saints is a decent one as it's just up the road and ground is right beside the motorway.

As I don't get to do many away days though, my preferred method is a proper day out. Early train, carry outs, pints etc. Financially can't do it that often. Last time I went to Saints was one of those days, it was the first day of the season in 13/14, on a Sunday. What a pain in the arse it was. Done the megabus which got stuck in traffic going over the bridge so had to get a taxi to the ground. After the game, we walked all the way back to the bus station, only to be told there wasn't a bus to Edinburgh for 2 and a half hours, but if we were quick, we could get one from the Park and Ride on the other side of town. Too skint for a taxi or a bevvy session in the town centre, we walked to the other one. Absolutely knackered by the end of it.

11 hours ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Easter Road is shit. Pointless poll when you have Tynecastle below Easter Road.

Best for me is Easter road. Hyped up all week for it and you can drink locally. Easter road wasn’t shit last time we went there. Best atmosphere in ages iirc 😊. The Darkheid Tattiedome is the worst away experience for me. We don’t go for a bevvy, straight in, straight out and usually with our tail between our legs. Dingwall, as long as it’s not midweek and you’re working next day, is a good away trip as it feels totally different to others. Probably the journey and the craic going up. Is good by train and by bus.  Could fly to Tenerife in the same time it takes to get there mind. Have had some good away days to Motherwell and Killie although Killie is too big for the support they have. Dislike Hamilton, Livingston and St Johnston as I find them the most soulless stadiums I’ve ever been to. Dunfermline away In the league cup a few years ago was bouncing. Easy to get to, you can walk from the town and good pubs all around. Great to take a big support through and you can get home quickly 

Edited by Saughton Jambo

8 hours ago, Last Laff said:

Easter Road is the game I look forward to all season every year.  It’s brilliant. Bridge of doom, the enemy you can’t beat it.  

7 minutes ago, Saughton Jambo said:

Best for me is Easter road. Hyped up all week for it and you can drink locally. Easter road wasn’t shit last time we went there. Best atmosphere in ages iirc 😊. The Darkheid Tattiedome is the worst away experience for me. We don’t go for a bevvy, straight in, straight out and usually with our tail between our legs. Dingwall, as long as it’s not midweek and you’re working next day, is a good away trip as it feels totally different to others. Probably the journey and the craic going up. Is good by train and by bus.  Could fly to Tenerife in the same time it takes to get there mind. Have had some good away days to Motherwell and Killie although Killie is too big for the support they have. Dislike Hamilton, Livingston and St Johnston as I find them the most soulless stadiums I’ve ever been to. Dunfermline away In the league cup a few years ago was bouncing. Easy to get to, you can walk from the town and good pubs all around. Great to take a big support through and you can get home quickly 

When it’s full of Hearts fans going radio rental as we put them to the sword, sure. It takes a lot of beating. Can you imagine being a fan of another club in that misshapen, wonky collection of odd shaped buildings, miles from the pitch and the opposition support? Must be dire. The only thing that makes Easter Road a good away day is the Hearts support.

BerraBelieveit

Ross County by far the best for me. It would be a tie with Inverness if they were in the top flight.

Best day out of the season every season except this one with the farce midweek and the likelihood we won't get to go up there post split with the current situation.

Plenty of drink, plenty of jambos and decent boozers & due to a large proportion being merry - always a decent atmosphere in the away end.

2 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

When it’s full of Hearts fans going radio rental as we put them to the sword, sure. It takes a lot of beating. Can you imagine being a fan of another club in that misshapen, wonky collection of odd shaped buildings, miles from the pitch and the opposition support? Must be dire. The only thing that makes Easter Road a good away day is the Hearts support.

Totally agree. Easter road is shit when we don’t get it our own way.Great atmosphere walking over the bridge when we’re victorious though. Motherwell and Dundee have two of the most wonky mismatched  shitholes I’ve ever been in. I’m proud of the fact we have a great wee stadium. Don’t think it’ll be too far off into the future when it sells out every week. 

2 hours ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

While definitely true, for the same reasons I can see why Celtic rangers and partly Aberdeen would think the same.  It always seems like carnage in the way ends when they score at both our stadium and their shit tip.

avhudtheteeshirt
17 hours ago, Nobreath said:

I've never seen Easter Road rated above Tynecastle before apart from in the mouse droppings count.

Have a look at the poll again Hibs rated 4th, Hearts rated 3rd.

colinmaroon

Easter Road above Tynecastle - what a bleeding stitch up!!!

Who is it that's run this survey?  Oh yes!!!

PS To be fair, maybe they're talking about when they are playing Hearts?

Jason Dufner

Where are people seeing Easter road above Tynecastle?

The report has Easter road 4th and Tynecastle 3rd?

1 hour ago, avhudtheteeshirt said:

Have a look at the poll again Hibs rated 4th, Hearts rated 3rd.

That's changed from yesterday, or I'm losing it which is a reasonable possibility. 

Jingle Bells
18 hours ago, Last Laff said:

Each to their own, but I'd rather have my nuts cut off,  than give Fibs £30 odds.

25 minutes ago, Jingle Bells said:

Each to their own, but I'd rather have my nuts cut off,  than give Fibs £30 odds.

It’s more than justified being in the away end pumping them.