Management partnerships

Diadora Van Basten

Diadora Van Basten

I notice that we seem to do a lot better when we have Management partnerships than when we have just appointed a manager.

e.g.
Macadonald Jardine

Jeffries Brown 

Levein Houston

Neilson Crawford

With this in mind do you think Stendel is struggling because he doesn’t appear to have a partnership.

He's struggling because the players clearly have a god awful attitude.

I suspect given a summer transfer window to shift out the dead weight/ underachievers, we might see a big improvement. 

Scottish football is likely a tough sell to the type of players he'd no doubt be looking for. I hope Ann fights tooth and nail to keep us in the top league. As relegation will only make his job that much harder.

He's got his coaching team now, so with an extended time to coach and more of his players in I suspect a radically different experience next season. 

33 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Nah, I think he's struggling because the players are shit. 

Nailed it! Not only shit but a horrendous attitude, as we are seeing play out now. 

Diadora Van Basten
48 minutes ago, OTT said:

He's struggling because the players clearly have a god awful attitude.

I suspect given a summer transfer window to shift out the dead weight/ underachievers, we might see a big improvement. 

Scottish football is likely a tough sell to the type of players he'd no doubt be looking for. I hope Ann fights tooth and nail to keep us in the top league. As relegation will only make his job that much harder.

He's got his coaching team now, so with an extended time to coach and more of his players in I suspect a radically different experience next season. 

His last transfer window gave us two duds a player who was always injured and Boyce.

What makes you think he will do better this time.

Benny Factor
5 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

His last transfer window gave us two duds a player who was always injured and Boyce.

His ONE AND ONLY transfer window. 

48 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Nailed it! Not only shit but a horrendous attitude, as we are seeing play out now. 

Aye, the attitude of the players has been reekin all season. Never played for Levein or Macphee either, only when they could be arsed. 

Stendels a good coach. I'd prefer we stuck with him for the long term. I'm sure he will turn us around. 

3 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Aye, the attitude of the players has been reekin all season. Never played for Levein or Macphee either, only when they could be arsed. 

Stendels a good coach. I'd prefer we stuck with him for the long term. I'm sure he will turn us around. 

Yip, agree. Never disliked a group of players as much as this one. 

East Lothian Jambo
2 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Nah, I think he's struggling because the players are shit. 

What was your view on Levein? Were you early to conclude it would end in tatters or later to that realisation 

He certainly has two guys with him of his choosing 

Edited by East Lothian Jambo

1 hour ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Because Levein spent 99% of available funds signing absolute duds, leaving a bloated squad in serious need of a rework. You can only play with the hand you've got and unfortunately Stendel has been left with an absolute mess. 

45 minutes ago, East Lothian Jambo said:

What was your view on Levein? Were you early to conclude it would end in tatters or later to that realisation 

He certainly has two guys with him of his choosing 

What does it matter now? It's absolutely irrelevant. 

East Lothian Jambo
1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

What does it matter now? It's absolutely irrelevant. 

Latter realisation then 

Just the squad of "shite" to which you refer was assembled by him 

Pasquale for King

I think Fergie might disprove the theory of partnerships, he had quite a few number twos and was successful with all of them. 
I think Burley had his own assistants, Sergio too, both better than Levein and Houston I would say.

59 minutes ago, East Lothian Jambo said:

Latter realisation then 

Just the squad of "shite" to which you refer was assembled by him 

I don't see your point whatsoever tbh. We know who's ultimately responsible for what has happen in the last 4 seasons, that lies with the Chair and the former DoF. 

However the players have shown they can beat Aberdeen, Motherwell, Hibs and Rangers when they can be arsed. They are clearly more capable than what they have shown but they haven't tried a leg for any of our managers this season week in, week out. Their attitudes are reekin regardless of who signed them. 

rudi must stay
2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

I think Fergie might disprove the theory of partnerships, he had quite a few number twos and was successful with all of them. 
I think Burley had his own assistants, Sergio too, both better than Levein and Houston I would say.

Fergie chose very well. Did you know Walter Smith was the guy that told the team to go harder on Ronaldo in training to toughen him up.

But I disagree with the OP, I've been impressed with Sievers. Very impressed infact, guys a very good professional who has a smile on his face and energy :thumbsup:

Unknown user
9 hours ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

I notice that we seem to do a lot better when we have Management partnerships than when we have just appointed a manager.

e.g.
Macadonald Jardine

Jeffries Brown 

Levein Houston

Neilson Crawford

With this in mind do you think Stendel is struggling because he doesn’t appear to have a partnership.

No, he has a partnership with Sievers.

I'd also question the levein/houston partnership as we only appointed a manager there too - Peter Houston was already at the club after arriving from Falkirk with Jefferies. 

Similarly, Doddie was appointed alone in 81 with Jardine being signed as a player a year later and only being elevated to co-manager in 86, half a decade after McDonald was appointed player manager. 

Diadora Van Basten
4 hours ago, Smithee said:

Similarly, Doddie was appointed alone in 81 with Jardine being signed as a player a year later and only being elevated to co-manager in 86, half a decade after McDonald was appointed player manager. 

Jardine was assistant manager in 85 probably 84 a time when we transformed beyond all recognition. The fact that MacDonald was manager in 81 and we weren’t successful until Jardine became his assistant kind of proves my point.

Unknown user
Just now, Diadora Van Basten said:

Jardine was assistant manager in 85 probably 84 a time when we transformed beyond all recognition. The fact that MacDonald was manager in 81 and we weren’t successful until Jardine became his assistant kind of proves my point.

I don't think it proves anything TBH, a bunch of stuff came together in the mid 80s. Anyway, Stendel's got his chosen assistant in place so how can it be the problem?

Pasquale for King
9 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Fergie chose very well. Did you know Walter Smith was the guy that told the team to go harder on Ronaldo in training to toughen him up.

But I disagree with the OP, I've been impressed with Sievers. Very impressed infact, guys a very good professional who has a smile on his face and energy :thumbsup:

I forgot he was even there tbh. 

Diadora Van Basten

I would argue Alex Ferguson was very much part of a Management partnership especially with Archie Knox.

I have heard how he never used to take the training but always observed it to make it was done properly.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2013/may/08/alex-ferguson-number-twos-manchester-united