Olympic football

Locky

Just seen an article on Twitter saying FIFA are going to increase the age restriction to 24 for next years tournament, and it led to many disparaging comments in the replies.

And it did get me thinking, who actually pays much attention to it? I genuinely don't think I've ever watched an Olympic football match, not even when GB were in it.

I imagine, before the World Cup was created that the Olympics was quite a big deal, but the fact it's limited to under 23's these days pretty much sums up where we're at. Every age group has it's own form of World Cup already.

Samuel Camazzola
6 minutes ago, Locky said:

Just seen an article on Twitter saying FIFA are going to increase the age restriction to 24 for next years tournament, and it led to many disparaging comments in the replies.

And it did get me thinking, who actually pays much attention to it? I genuinely don't think I've ever watched an Olympic football match, not even when GB were in it.

I imagine, before the World Cup was created that the Olympics was quite a big deal, but the fact it's limited to under 23's these days pretty much sums up where we're at. Every age group has it's own form of World Cup already.

Would be ideal if it was only open to non Football League /SPFL players. Someone playing for Bonnyrigg Rose and getting an opportunity to go to the Olympics would be something else. 

I remember watching one game live on the TV at the Soviet games in 1980. Amateurs only back then and It was terrible. Like tennis, it just doesn't feel like an Olympic sport.

Some of the newer ones often seem a bit bizarre to me but they're often fledgling, minority sports and if they encourage punters to take them up and become fitter then their inclusion is worthwhile, imo. 

1 hour ago, martoon said:

I remember watching one game live on the TV at the Soviet games in 1980. Amateurs only back then and It was terrible. Like tennis, it just doesn't feel like an Olympic sport.

Some of the newer ones often seem a bit bizarre to me but they're often fledgling, minority sports and if they encourage punters to take them up and become fitter then their inclusion is worthwhile, imo. 

Yeah I know what you mean. I think with a lot of other Olympic sports, the Olympics is the holy grail, and breaking a record there or winning a gold medal, is the pinacle of the athlete's careers. 

But in football, it isn't. I'm sure the players and coaches involved in it will take it serious and enjoy any success, but there's not one footballer who dreams of winning an Olympic medal playing football. As you said, like Tennis, there's other major tournaments that are more prestigious. The major tournament to represent your nation is the Davis Cup.

I understand the romantic notion that these are sports which have been in the games for almost, if not all, of the entire moderm games history. But it's a bit like the League Cup of international football. It's a tradition that many in the modern game could probably do without.

6 hours ago, Locky said:

Yeah I know what you mean. I think with a lot of other Olympic sports, the Olympics is the holy grail, and breaking a record there or winning a gold medal, is the pinacle of the athlete's careers. 

But in football, it isn't. I'm sure the players and coaches involved in it will take it serious and enjoy any success, but there's not one footballer who dreams of winning an Olympic medal playing football. As you said, like Tennis, there's other major tournaments that are more prestigious. The major tournament to represent your nation is the Davis Cup.

I understand the romantic notion that these are sports which have been in the games for almost, if not all, of the entire moderm games history. But it's a bit like the League Cup of international football. It's a tradition that many in the modern game could probably do without.

Really well put, Locky.