New Labour Party leader - Keir Starmer wins

ri Alban

With the disaster which was Corbyn and his mates, they cannot continue the Corbyn line with 3 names. Lisa Nandy could be in the future, but if they want to save the party from oblivion, it's Keir Starmer, imo. The only one with any credibility. 

Edited by ri Alban

Montgomery Brewster
1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

With the disaster which was Corbyn and his mates, they cannot continue the Corbyn line with 3 names. Lisa Nandy could be in the future, but if they want to save the party from oblivion, it's Keir Starmer, imo. The only one with any credibility. 

Comes across as reasonably coherent.

3 minutes ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

Comes across as reasonably coherent.

Never flustered, but leadership might change all that. 

What time is it to be announced? They need a dramatic move from Corbynism policies. The new leader is going to have their work cut out. Cant think of a worse time to be elected Labour leader following the catastrophe that was Jezza's leadership. 

Edited by Marvin

22 minutes ago, Marvin said:

What time is it to be announced? They need a dramatic move from Corbynism policies. The new leader is going to have their work cut out. Cant think of a worse time to be elected Labour leader following the catastrophe that was Jezza's leadership. 

Or the best time? Bungling Boris and his cabinet of eugenics supporting loonies havent exactly covered themselves in glory. If it is Starmer, he at least looks, and more importantly talks, like a proper statesman. 

He could waltz in, sack any momentum proper hardcore left wing mad *****, anyone involved in the jewish nonsense and get a while new shadow cabinet on the go. People want to see decisive action. There's no place for left or right wing politics in  major party - you have to be pretty much centralists with a leaning towards one.

Hopefully Labour can get back to some form of votable party. Corbyn ended up an absolute ****ing disaster, however, the terrorism smears were mental. Anyone actually believing that was off their tits. 

58 minutes ago, Marvin said:

11am

Keir Starmer is the new Labour party leader. Angela Rayner is deputy.

Good decision.

AlphonseCapone

I haven't been paying any attention, what's Keir Starmer's deal? What does this mean for Labour in terms of policies? 

Space Mackerel

I'll be honest, I don't really give a shit.

I do see Jackie Baillie was elected to deputy leader up here today. Even she makes Richard Leonard sound half intelligent.

Just now, AlphonseCapone said:

I haven't been paying any attention, what's Keir Starmer's deal? What does this mean for Labour in terms of policies? 

A mix. And a little uncertain. 

Starmer could equally be framed as left wing and centrist. 

Think he will be more central but still leaning quite a bit to the left.Raynar good deputy as well I think.

Space Mackerel
1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

Ian Murray 14.3% in 2nd round, eliminated in 3rd round. 

The Bairites of Nandy and Murray have been well rejected.

Leftish moderate.     Not a Blairite.    Policy will still come from conference.

1 minute ago, Space Mackerel said:

I do see Jackie Baillie was elected to deputy leader up here today. Even she makes Richard Leonard sound half intelligent

Leonard only won in Scotland as Corbyn supporter. 

Isolated now. 

Edited by Mikey1874

3 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Union vote

1. Starmer

2. Nandy

3. Long Bailey 

shocked they didn't go for long bailey as the closet to corbyn. maybe they have realised their mistakes from backing corbyn and ed milliband before him

Space Mackerel

So, how is Richard Leonard up here going to shape shift (again) into a more centrist left position?

He, who is a member of CND but agrees on having nuclear weapons. 🤡

Seymour M Hersh
30 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Back to Blairite woud be my best guess. 

Seymour M Hersh
26 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

First female deputy leader of UK party? 

Meanwhile the Conservatives have had two female Prime Ministers but folk still think Labour support women. 

2 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Meanwhile the Conservatives have had two female Prime Ministers but folk still think Labour support women. 

It's a mistaken argument. Labour has the best process and record on female MPs. Conservatives much less female representation overall. 

18 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

shocked they didn't go for long bailey as the closet to corbyn. maybe they have realised their mistakes from backing corbyn and ed milliband before him

Unions reacted to election by rejecting Corbynism.

East Lothian Jambo
34 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

I do see Jackie Baillie was elected to deputy leader up here today. Even she makes Richard Leonard sound half intelligent.

You do surprise me 

Seymour M Hersh
1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

It's a mistaken argument. Labour has the best process and record on female MPs. Conservatives much less female representation overall. 

It's a fact is what it is. Labour is all window dressing (that's only my opinion though).

4 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

It's a fact is what it is. Labour is all window dressing (that's only my opinion though).

The processes in Labour to get in more women MPs is certainly not window dressing. But maybe, especially with the unions there is a male bias at the sharp end. 

Thatcher and May are fascinating case studies. Almost unbelievable they became leaders but they did. 

Edited by Mikey1874

44 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Not Labour and their big mad mental federalism chat again?

:facepalm:

:D

London the city state.

SwindonJambo

Good appointment. Will be interesting to see who he appoints to the Shadow Cabinet. If he can boot Momentum to ****, deal with the anti semitism nonsense and clear out the Corbyn acolytes then Labour will get my vote again. Good luck Keir!

1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

How can you have a female PM if youre not in power? Out of the last 30 years they've only been in power a handful of years. 

50% of Labours current MPs are women. If you're going to try fishing, at least make a half decent attempt at it. 

5 minutes ago, The Brow said:

How can you have a female PM if youre not in power? Out of the last 30 years they've only been in power a handful of years. 

50% of Labours current MPs are women. If you're going to try fishing, at least make a half decent attempt at it. 

:D Big hands! 13 years 

5 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

:D Big hands! 13 years 

Sorry I actually meant 40 years. Doing the whole 'the year 2000 was last week' thing....

20 minutes ago, The Brow said:

not being in power doesn't stop them having a female leader

Just now, milky_26 said:

I agree but he specifically said PM and is insinuating they're anti woman. Mental. 

11 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

Foot and Corbyn were a couple of diddies does that count. :)

Edited by ri Alban

8 hours ago, Space Mackerel said:

The Bairites of Nandy and Murray have been well rejected.

Starmer could not get elected without a fair number of Leftie votes suggesting they have rejected themselves.

Maybe the penny is dropping.

John Findlay
6 hours ago, The Brow said:

I agree but he specifically said PM and is insinuating they're anti woman. Mental. 

They are anti woman as leader.

Selkirk_Jambo

People seem to want to paint Starmer as a centrist just because he looks and sounds like what you'd expect a Blairite to look and sound like. His agenda may not be massively radical, and he is course more toward the centre than Corbyn, but pledges such as increasing Income Tax for the top 5%, nationalisation of key industries and working hand in hand with trade unions don't strike me as someone angling for the 'Red Tory' vote.

I think he'll appeal to a lot of people on the left, with Rayner as deputy leader definitely helping. The voting numbers also suggest he has has some support from a fair few in Momentum, which is interesting. 

From a Scottish point of view, I am hugely interested in his ideas for UK federalism. In my opinion, Scotland becoming a federal state within the UK could and would only end up being a precursor to independence and I think he thinks that too. Perhaps diluting Labour's attitude toward indy to try and snare some seats back up here? 

Edited by Selkirk_Jambo