Board games

Alan_R

So looking for some board game suggestions.

Bit of background. My auld mans health has been failing last few years. He was always very active, lots of diy type hobbies and out dog walking. We lost the dog a few years back and with his health he cant be as active. Im worried about him as hes just brushes off all the ideas for hobbies etc and sort of mopes about now hes retired. Sorry if thats a bit heavy but jkb always seems quite supportive when it comes to that sort of stuff.

Anyway my idea once all this covid stuff passes is i wonder if i could go up with various board games, have a blether and a bit interest without seeming like im forcing him into anything

Not really looking for monopoly or the like. I was hoping someone could maybe recommend strategy or themed games from kickstarter etc?

Im not really sure what he'd be into, if at all. Nothing overly nerdy or complicated but maths or complicated word play not great either.

Strategy/risk or adventure/scottish themed stuff perhaps?

Also looking for suggestions of more straight forward family games where kids could get involved too

Anyway cheers for reading this far. My idea may fall flat but ideas welcome.

Catan is one of the best games you can get, and has a huge array of expansions if you get bored of the base game.

Ticket to Ride is also great and has tons of different versions.

Pandemic is good fun and topical. It's co-operative as well, all players working together to beat a disease.

Most games have junior versions but are so simple that you can get kids into them as well.

The Real Maroonblood
42 minutes ago, Mr 3 Putt said:

Cards against humanity is a good laugh. Best not involve the kids.

Better let the kids stick to Call of Duty or the likes.

Stramash is fantastic. It's loosely like Ludo but it's played with playing cards instead of rolling a dice. It's much more complex than Ludo though and you only really win with a mixture of luck and clever strategy. It's a good game with 2 but much more interesting if you've got 4. 

Love a good board game. Anytimenim with my boys and wer're somewhere new or not been fir a while we raid the charity shops for board games. Randomly picked up a few stinkers but also some gems.

We also get a new board game every Christmas.

My lads quite enjoy Labyrinth, Scotland Yard,

UNO and the Colt Express (not really two player though)

Backed a couple of kickstarters....received a card game Monkey two weeks ago which they liked and waiting on Space Invaders.

Gonna teach them Perudo this easter.

Cant go wrong with Connect 4....unless you play me....im a beast at it.

6 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

Stramash is fantastic. It's loosely like Ludo but it's played with playing cards instead of rolling a dice. It's much more complex than Ludo though and you only really win with a mixture of luck and clever strategy. It's a good game with 2 but much more interesting if you've got 4. 

Still waiting on the price to drop on Amazon. Always been 44 quid which puts me off.

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, Der Kaiser said:

Love a good board game. Anytimenim with my boys and wer're somewhere new or not been fir a while we raid the charity shops for board games. Randomly picked up a few stinkers but also some gems.

We also get a new board game every Christmas.

My lads quite enjoy Labyrinth, Scotland Yard,

UNO and the Colt Express (not really two player though)

Backed a couple of kickstarters....received a card game Monkey two weeks ago which they liked and waiting on Space Invaders.

Gonna teach them Perudo this easter.

Cant go wrong with Connect 4....unless you play me....im a beast at it.

Connect 4 and Frustration are one I remember fondly with the kids.

47 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

Still waiting on the price to drop on Amazon. Always been 44 quid which puts me off.

I'm sure they only sell it themselves and through very limited stockists. Price probably won't come down. I'm sure it cost me that three or four years ago 

scott herbertson

I'd second Ticket to Ride - probably best with 3 players or more though. The old Mastermind game is good for two players. For card games one not so commonly played now but which is good for two players is German Whist. Rules easy to find

scott herbertson

For a bit of fun see if you can find a second hand game of 'Little Big Horn' online - it's a cowboys (well, soldiers and Custer) and Indians shoot up board game and pretty good for a laugh

13 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Connect 4 and Frustration are one I remember fondly with the kids.

There was also Headache. Like Frustration, but you had to capture the other player's wee cones.

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

There was also Headache. Like Frustration, but you had to capture the other player's wee cones.

Can't remember that one but it was probably there. 

Already mentioned but Catan and Ticket to Ride are both good fun games that are easy to learn for beginners. Carcassone would also fit the bill and Star Realms is a decent wee card game that's really cheap to pick up.