Sky Sports - Abdication of responsibility

Greenbank2

How many here are still having their Sky Sports subscriptions collected? How many have tried to cancel (which I understand you have to do by calling them - as usual making it as difficult as possible)?

Lot's of discussion on millionaire footballers continuing to collect eye watering wages, but what about the sponsors that contribute a huge proportion of that cash? I know they have contractual obligations to the organisations that provide them with content, but then so they do to their customers.Understandably, they have zero new content to broadcast and that looks like the case for months. Are they cutting of waiving their subscription fees? Even though their own costs will have been slashed? They have a subscription mode that I suspect is preserving close to 100% of their revenue, which in turn is lining the pockets of said footballers and Sky executives.

For what it's worth, I would continue to pay my subscription and feel it was worth it IF they took the sponsorship money normally pay to EFL, F1, Ryder Cup etc for coverage and pay it into a fund for key workers.

Instead of lining the pockets of millionaires.

highlandjambo3

The rich will always look after themselves first and foremost.  Any deemed thought for the minions will be their second priority, in a disguised fashion of course, making it look like they are putting everyone else first so long as their first priority (themselves) is secure.

been here before
44 minutes ago, Greenbank2 said:

How many here are still having their Sky Sports subscriptions collected? How many have tried to cancel (which I understand you have to do by calling them - as usual making it as difficult as possible)?

Lot's of discussion on millionaire footballers continuing to collect eye watering wages, but what about the sponsors that contribute a huge proportion of that cash? I know they have contractual obligations to the organisations that provide them with content, but then so they do to their customers.Understandably, they have zero new content to broadcast and that looks like the case for months. Are they cutting of waiving their subscription fees? Even though their own costs will have been slashed? They have a subscription mode that I suspect is preserving close to 100% of their revenue, which in turn is lining the pockets of said footballers and Sky executives.

For what it's worth, I would continue to pay my subscription and feel it was worth it IF they took the sponsorship money normally pay to EFL, F1, Ryder Cup etc for coverage and pay it into a fund for key workers.

Instead of lining the pockets of millionaires.

You subscribe to Sky sports you played a part in creating "millionaire footballers".

If the season was continuing as per normal we'd be getting shat on and dragging our arses up to Aberdeen tonight to suit television companies and fans who dont go to games. 

The EPL is run as a license to print money and to make the rich richer. Its a monster created and fed by people like you.

Sky and their counterparts are 100% responsible for fans being shat on time and time again. You're in part responsible for that too.

Whether Sky are 'abdicating responsibility' is almost a moot point. 

If you honestly cared about creating "millionaire footballers" you'd have ditched sky by now. You're only greeting now because it doesnt suit you. 

Its impossible to have a single iota of sympathy for Sky or their subscribers.

Edited by been here before

2 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

They may have paused subscriptions to Sky Sports, but they have as yet refused to do the same for their Now TV customers.

Now TV is Sky's streaming service.

Yea I thought I could pause my BT sport there aswell but does not seem to have happened looking further into it.

12 minutes ago, been here before said:

You subscribe to Sky sports you played a part in creating "millionaire footballers".

If the season was continuing as per normal we'd be dragging our arses up to Aberdeen tonight to suit television companies and fans who dont go to games.

The EPL is run as a license to print money and to make the rich richer. Its a monster created and fed by people like you.

Sky and their counterparts are 100% responsible for fans being shat on time and time again. You're in part responsible for that too.

If you honestly cared about creating "millionaire footballers" you'd have ditched sky by now. You're only greeting now because it doesnt suit you. 

Its hard to have a single iota of sympathy for Sky or their subscribers.

I'm not looking for sympathy or am I "greeting" because it doesn't suit me. Although I understand that may be how it looks from your morally superior ivory tower.

All the money continuing to flow to support services not being created, not being delivered could surely be diverted where it is needed.

34 minutes ago, Greenbank2 said:

Thanks I had tried that a couple of times over the past weeks - each time it says "sorry we are having technical difficulties"

I had the same message but when checking future bills I could see that it had actually worked.

If it hasn't worked try clearing your cookies and try again.

Regal Kingston

Top high horsing from Been here before.
Sounds like they would leave a pub if they had a game broadcasted from Sky on. 

Managed to pause mine no problem. Sky have also waivered the extra £5 I pay for Sky Go. 

Cant complain. 

I would have been quite happy if they gave me the movies/Box sets instead. Sky missed a trick there. 

In support for the OP it’s disgusting making people pay for the current content as subscribers have already paid for it before! Should not be allowed to do it. 

This is nothing but yet another wealth redistribution from the public to private pockets that pay very little tax. 

Again. 

And there's **** all anyone can do to stop it. 

2 hours ago, Greenbank2 said:

I'm not looking for sympathy or am I "greeting" because it doesn't suit me. Although I understand that may be how it looks from your morally superior ivory tower.

All the money continuing to flow to support services not being created, not being delivered could surely be diverted where it is needed.

You mean like the Sky CEO Jeremy Darroch (along with the Comcast Board) donating his salary to Covid related charities? Or does that not fit with the big business is bad narrative?

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

My wife’s mother has had similar difficulties cancelling  sky sports. 

I’ve contacted the financial press as I believe sky are making it more difficult for people to cancel than is needed. Particularly old folk who prefer to use the phone rather than online.

I got a reply from the This is Money website (ran by the Daily Mail) who say they are looking into it. I don’t think it’s acceptable that it’s so easy to subscribe to sky but very difficult to cancel (by phone at least).

8 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I’ve contacted the financial press as I believe sky are making it more difficult for people to cancel than is needed. Particularly old folk who prefer to use the phone rather than online.

I got a reply from the This is Money website (ran by the Daily Mail) who say they are looking into it. I don’t think it’s acceptable that it’s so easy to subscribe to sky but very difficult to cancel (by phone at least).

Like every other company just now there are limited number of people to answer the phone!

Sky's position is clear, Sky Sports customers have the option to cancel or suspend their subscription and this can be managed online or by phone, both means to cancel or suspend are under severe pressure due to either not having enough people to answer phones or internet connections dropping out. Anyone trying to cancel that has failed before another monthly bill is generated will no doubt have it refunded.

26 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Like every other company just now there are limited number of people to answer the phone!

Sky's position is clear, Sky Sports customers have the option to cancel or suspend their subscription and this can be managed online or by phone, both means to cancel or suspend are under severe pressure due to either not having enough people to answer phones or internet connections dropping out. Anyone trying to cancel that has failed before another monthly bill is generated will no doubt have it refunded.

I hope that’s the case. I can only go by the experience of the one person I know, who’s 76 and has spent a total of 3 hours over 4 different phone calls to try and cancel and still not managed to speak to the right person. 

Sky have made it easy to pause it, I'm not sure what the fuss is. Log into your account and click pause sky sports. Simple. It's an instant process and you'll continue to receive the channels. They'll only start charging you once they have things to put on again.

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

Sky have made it easy to pause it, I'm not sure what the fuss is. Log into your account and click pause sky sports. Simple. It's an instant process and you'll continue to receive the channels. They'll only start charging you once they have things to put on again.

The fuss is that some older customers don't have access to a computer as previously mentioned by another poster.

17 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

The fuss is that some older customers don't have access to a computer as previously mentioned by another poster.

Then a family member can do it for them?

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

How?

Just now, IronJambo said:

What account online? She either doesn’t think she has one or doesn’t have one? Not being a dick by the way but this is what I’m up against. 

5 hours ago, been here before said:

If the season was continuing as per normal we'd be getting shat on and dragging our arses up to Aberdeen tonight to suit television companies and fans who dont go to games. 

Its impossible to have a single iota of sympathy for Sky or their subscribers.

Agree. Anyone who subscribes to sky sports has no right to moan. You are the problem

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

What account online? She either doesn’t think she has one or doesn’t have one? Not being a dick by the way but this is what I’m up against. 

I hear you. Try here https://www.sky.com

Look at "my account".

Even if never used, hopefully she's got an email address registered even if she doesn't realise it? The details might even appear through Chrome on their own.

2 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

I hear you. Try here https://www.sky.com

Look at "my account".

Even if never used, hopefully she's got an email address registered even if she doesn't realise it? The details might even appear through Chrome on their own.

She does have an email address I think. Will ge the mrs to check it out for her when she takes her messages up. Thanks. 

Dean Winchester

Unfortunately the quick nature of this virus has meant a lot of work has needed to be done extremely quickly to get technical things done to enable things like the Sky Sports Pause... Normally that kind of thing would be a project that would last weeks if not months and be extensively tested... So problems are to be expected with the quick turnaround.

The other issue is call times as call center staff didn't really have the option to WFH before this pandemic... Which meant getting them equipped with laptops and the necessary equipment to take calls at home in a very short turnaround. Add to that reduced staffing levels and more calls and the wait times are, unfortunately, going to be longer. 

Maybe easier if she doesn't already have an email address registered with sky. I'd assume it will just be a case of setting up the account online with the correct details.

28 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

Maybe easier if she doesn't already have an email address registered with sky. I'd assume it will just be a case of setting up the account online with the correct details.

Never thought about that. Will get the wife on the case 👍

The Now TV handling has been shocking. No refund for an advertised service not provided. 

I don't have an issue with the EPL and enjoy watching the football but I won't be paying now TV for it next year. I'll make do with whatever is on BT sport.

I don't buy sports atm, but when I do, it's for other sports. NFL, Rugby league, Darts, boxing and UFC, which I receive now through BT.  I've not watched English fitbaw for years, maybe the odd game, which was in the CL. So no I don't fund the EPL, Sky does.