Stendel and future squad

Clerry Jambo

Clerry Jambo

Full story in EEN

Daniel Stendel reveals plan for new Hearts structure focused on youth

Manager aims to use more Riccarton academy kids

Hearts manager Daniel Stendel intends to promote more young players. 

Hearts manager Daniel Stendel today outlined plans to restructure his team by playing more youngsters alongside a few experienced anchors.

Edited by Clerry Jambo

Morning Clerry you're up early. So it's back to basics. That policy of mixing youth with experience does seem to work for us. Good times ahead.

Clerry Jambo
3 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Morning Clerry you're up early. So it's back to basics. That policy of mixing youth with experience does seem to work for us. Good times ahead.

Have a trapped nerve for a few weeks mate, cannae lie in kip!! Can’t link either from phone, totally useless at the moment

David McCaig
2 minutes ago, Barack said:

Wise to plan for life in the Championship. Can't see Liam Boyce playing in it though...

And if we're planning on keeping the likes of Lewis Moore we may be staying there for a while.

Bunny Munro

It's strange. 6 weeks ago the idea of keeping Bozanic and Dikimona seemed mental, now I'd be inclined to offer them a deal if the wages were right.

I'm not sure what youths we have to step up. Cochrane, Smith, Hamilton, Moore, Henderson, Irving is a reasonable number. We need some experience in midfield.

Doesn’t sound like Daniel is planning on leaving us anytime soon. I’m sure he’s invested in us with his backroom team and  forgoing his salary. I’m sure he gets what we’re all about. Tall oaks grow from small acorns and if he’s given the time to get things right then we’ll be back. HHGH 

David McCaig
9 minutes ago, Barack said:

Moore's been fine playing. Certainly has put in more effort than some.

Might actually see the enigma that is Harry Cochrane too, if he's given himself a shake.

25 1st team games and zero goals, one assist.  His standard is Forfar, can't fault his effort but shouldn't be anywhere near a contract renewal.

He's 22 in June so not even really a youngster anymore.

Edited by David McCaig

TyphoonJambo

Theres a few players need booting out the door long before Lewis Moore. 

The Internet

His Barnsley team at the start of this season was insanely young. Think he only had 3 players that were 25 or older and no one near 30. If he stays I'm confident he'll be trying to make full use of the academy. 

Clerry Jambo
16 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Meh more words. Let’s see how this translates into the pitch. 

It is Nookie, but when the fitba returns I hope the gaffer stays and has a go at working “his” squad into shape without the previous management hanging about like a bad stench.

52 minutes ago, Saughton Jambo said:

Doesn’t sound like Daniel is planning on leaving us anytime soon. I’m sure he’s invested in us with his backroom team and  forgoing his salary. I’m sure he gets what we’re all about. Tall oaks grow from small acorns and if he’s given the time to get things right then we’ll be back. HHGH 

Maybe knows something regards reconstruction not out in public yet?🧐

Either way I’d like him to stay. He has his detractors but I think the majority of Hearts fans would like to see him given a shot from the start of a fresh season. 

I feel it’s similar to the Sergio situation. You felt his style would work in time and something was coming, only for the manager to leave due to circumstance.  

TyphoonJambo
1 minute ago, Debut 4 said:

Either way I’d like him to stay. He has his detractors but I think the majority of Hearts fans would like to see him given a shot from the start of a fresh season. 

I feel it’s similar to the Sergio situation. You felt his style would work in time and something was coming, only for the manager to leave due to circumstance.  

Absobloodylutey, 100%

1 minute ago, Debut 4 said:

Maybe knows something regards reconstruction not out in public yet?

Yep. 

Fozzyonthefence
45 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

His Barnsley team at the start of this season was insanely young. Think he only had 3 players that were 25 or older and no one near 30. If he stays I'm confident he'll be trying to make full use of the academy. 

That’s all well and good if we’re producing good young players but if they’re mostly pish it won’t work.  Anyhow, I’ve already stated I want most of the frauds binned even if it means getting relegated with the kids so I’m in.

Fozzyonthefence
9 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Come on, you’re giving credit to the SFA / SPFL even knowing what day it is!

2 hours ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Full story in EEN

Daniel Stendel reveals plan for new Hearts structure focused on youth

Manager aims to use more Riccarton academy kids

Hearts manager Daniel Stendel intends to promote more young players. 

Hearts manager Daniel Stendel today outlined plans to restructure his team by playing more youngsters alongside a few experienced anchors.

Must be no relegation then.  Stendel wouldn’t stay if we are not in top league and we wouldn’t pay a championship manager £8-10k per week.  Decent news if true but it is Barry Anderson. 

1 hour ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Bottom of the league though 

4 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Must be no relegation then.  Stendel wouldn’t stay if we are not in top league and we wouldn’t pay a championship manager £8-10k per week.

Along with Budge putting season tickets on sale, I think all the evidence points towards this.

9 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Must be no relegation then.  Stendel wouldn’t stay if we are not in top league and we wouldn’t pay a championship manager £8-10k per week.  Decent news if true but it is Barry Anderson. 

Having read the article there is no indication of any knowledge around league structure - not even a hint. Its basically a fluff piece from Barry as usual.

Too young. We got rid of the experienced lynchpins! 

David McCaig
1 hour ago, TypoonJambo said:

Theres a few players need booting out the door long before Lewis Moore. 

True, but are they players with contracts that expire in 7 weeks?

chuck berrys hairline

Firing shot at the older pros holding us too ransom imo. He will go with whatever he has too play with 👍

16 minutes ago, Sherbet said:

Great plan.   Difficult part is deciding which experienced dross to keep

Over 25’s. Naismith, Smith and Boyce.  Wasn’t that hard 😎

16 minutes ago, RonnieG said:

Having read the article there is no indication of any knowledge around league structure - not even a hint. Its basically a fluff piece from Barry as usual.

He was just giving his opinion based on what’s being said and reading between the lines.

20 minutes ago, RonnieG said:

He wont be here next season.   Expect Robbo to be in position.  This assumes we are in the Championship.

Much like you have done here ^^

With no knowledge whatsoever of league structure or set up at HMFC.

Nookie Bear
1 hour ago, Clerry Jambo said:

It is Nookie, but when the fitba returns I hope the gaffer stays and has a go at working “his” squad into shape without the previous management hanging about like a bad stench.

Let's hope so. Unfortunately our youth is not filling me huge hope and our experienced players are quickly burning their bridges withthe club. Will be an expensive business trying to turn this around but I am sure DS is up for the challenge.

Saint Jambo

How many of then came through the Barnsley youth system? I'm sure when he was being discussed as a possible manager and giving academy players a chance was being touted, I looked at his squad from his promotion season and only one or two were Barnsley youth players.

2 hours ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Have a trapped nerve for a few weeks mate, cannae lie in kip!! Can’t link either from phone, totally useless at the moment

You brought people's attention to this.

Much more of a potential good news story

Full story here - new contracts for Henderson and Moore being discussed.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/daniel-stendel-reveals-plan-new-hearts-structure-focused-youth-2527452

21 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Let's hope so. Unfortunately our youth is not filling me huge hope and our experienced players are quickly burning their bridges withthe club. Will be an expensive business trying to turn this around but I am sure DS is up for the challenge.

Yeah

But Moore coming back from nowhere is at least a hopeful sign. 

He can perhaps manage the youngsters a lot better especially with more time to spend with them being limited to first team so far.

9 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/daniel-stendel-reveals-plan-new-hearts-structure-focused-youth-2527452

That bit at the bottom about EN journos being so great...

1 hour ago, RonnieG said:

He wont be here next season.   Expect Robbo to be in position.  This assumes we are in the Championship.

Why do you assume that? 

I did suggest that. Long time since EEN sports dept got an exclusive scoop of any meaning. 

Clerry Jambo
13 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Cheers MIkey

David McCaig
46 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Yeah

But Moore coming back from nowhere is at least a hopeful sign. 

He can perhaps manage the youngsters a lot better especially with more time to spend with them being limited to first team so far.

Moore’s return has been a signal of us slumping to the bottom of the League.  Surely no one who was at St Mirren in our last match would seriously be considering renewing his contract.

He’s 22 in the summer, so not a youngster and has never scored a professional goal at a level above League One, he’s not in the same class as Billy King and ultimately Billy King wasn’t good enough.

The club needs rebuilding on the pitch and players like Moore and Dikamona are part of the problem, not the solution.

Edited by David McCaig

2 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Come on, you’re giving credit to the SFA / SPFL even knowing what day it is!

True 😁

Hahahaha amazing. 

Still believe Stendel is the right guy to take us forward. 

I think the players need to know that the fans and club are backing Stendel 100%. There is no room for player power and if they don't like the situation the door is there. 

Thankfully this team has no heroes so perfectly fine with a blanket change around over the summer so we can get the right characters in. This issue with the pay is only exacerbating the situation. So on top of being inept footballers they're also absolute shit stains. 

Pleased to read the article though, ultimately we're pishing money up the wall if we aren't forcefully using the academy. Every academy develops players who aren't good enough, our advantage though is that the bar is lower than say at Ajax or Man Utd. There is no excuse for spending 7 figures on the academy and not having a first team littered with youngsters. Instead, Levein shat the bed and went after journeymen. 

So far, Hickey* and Irving have really impressed me. I think Moore and Henderson need to improve but Moore is growing with Stendels confidence in him which is amazing to see. Cochrane and McDonald seem to have stalled a bit (probably Cochrane more than McDonald given his Falkirk appearance and generally looking like there is something there). There seems to have been constant rumours about Cochrane not having his head screwed on, so maybe time to cut him loose if there is a need to stamp some authority on the academy. 20/30 games is not 'making it', just ask Neil Janczyk...

*Hickey I don't think we can claim much development for given his late stage in joining us. 

jamboinglasgow
26 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

Moore’s return has been a signal of us slumping to the bottom of the League.  Surely no one who was at St Mirren in our last match would seriously be considering renewing his contract.

He’s 22 in the summer, so not a youngster and has never scored a professional goal at a level above League One, he’s not in the same class as Billy King and ultimately Billy King wasn’t good enough.

The club needs rebuilding on the pitch and players like Moore and Dikamona are part of the problem, not the solution.

You really do not want to give Moore any praise do you. You disparage him, people point out that he has been playing well, now you turn that to him playing means we are terrible. 

East Lothian Jambo
23 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

Some people might think you're being somewhat brutal. I do think we need to seriously review our squad and understand why we've been the worst side in the top flight for 18 months

The squad does require a significant overhaul. I like the endeavor that Moore shows. I'm not convinced the quality is there if I'm honest.  Obviously had some personal difficulties and he deserves credit for forcing his way back into contention. At 22 you are correct in saying he's no longer really a "youngster"

We must be careful about revisionist ideas about what this squad is capable of. They've shown themselves to be capable of some of the worst things many of us can recall witnessing 

I think league reconstruction is likely 

4 minutes ago, OTT said:

*Hickey I don't think we can claim much development for given his late stage in joining us. 

We can claim most of Hickey's development because we have played him in first team. And thanks to his own great attitude not needed to be rested. 

Famous 1874

Hope and assume the squad will dramatically be changed this summer, although very unlikely we will spend any money on players. Moore has put in a shift but isn’t good enough whereas Henderson isn’t good enough full stop.

Hickey likely will leave, hopefully getting us a decent fee. Otherwise I’d keep the other younger players (Irving, C.Smith, McDonald, Cochrane etc) and Naisy, Smith, Boyce and thats about it. Although Smith and Boyce won’t be here next season if we go down, otherwise every single player should have a valuation and if met will go. I wouldn’t mind Clare and Washington staying either, provided valuations are not met. Souttar will also be with us as he is injured. No clue about the mysterious case of Peter Haring, maybe time he gets released unfortunately.

Famous 1874
3 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

We can claim most of Hickey's development because we have played him in first team. And thanks to his own great attitude not needed to be rested. 

Agreed. Plus Hickey was originally with us before leaving for Celtic, then came back. 

5 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

True, wouldn't have got a chance at Celtic. They're probably responsible for a few lads not reaching their potential by not giving them a chance. 

David McCaig
6 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

You really do not want to give Moore any praise do you. You disparage him, people point out that he has been playing well, now you turn that to him playing means we are terrible. 

Define playing well?

Does he have pace? No

Does he have strength? No

Does he score goals? No

0 in 25 at Hearts

6 in 74 at Forfar and Cowdenbeath

Does he create goals? One assist for Hearts that I can recall.

Could he get a game at Falkirk? No

Did he stand out at Cowdenbeath or Forfar? Not particularly

Does he try his best? Yes

Trying your best surely cannot be a reason to award a 22 year old a first team contract.

Put it another way, if we release him will he even get a contract from a Championship side.  He spent the first half of the season on loan at Falkirk in League One and couldn’t get near their first team!!

i don’t want to be brutal, but Hearts are in the midst of a financial whirlwind, every penny going forward needs to be a prisoner awarding contracts just to be nice is lunacy. 

3 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

Define playing well?

Does he have pace? No

Does he have strength? No

Does he score goals? No

0 in 25 at Hearts

6 in 74 at Forfar and Cowdenbeath

Does he create goals? One assist for Hearts that I can recall.

Could he get a game at Falkirk? No

Did he stand out at Cowdenbeath or Forfar? Not particularly

Does he try his best? Yes

Trying your best surely cannot be a reason to award a 22 year old a first team contract.

Put it another way, if we release him will he even get a contract from a Championship side.  He spent the first half of the season on loan at Falkirk in League One and couldn’t get near their first team!!

i don’t want to be brutal, but Hearts are in the midst of a financial whirlwind, every penny going forward needs to be a prisoner awarding contracts just to be nice is lunacy. 

You trying running at full pace and closing players down for vast majority of a game and see how long you last. 

He's only 22 he can still add a bit more strength if he's working out during the break.

Scoring goals isn't his job.

He does create chances and he's only just back into the first team recently, hard to judge him on that.  

He was out of position at Falkirk, and possibly out of mind.  

Can't comment on the Cowdenbeath and Forfar much but I would say he's not been lead well to this point.

Yes he is big grafter, which I love!

Trying your best most certainly gets you well thought of and should be considered a new contract.

I think his best chance to progress is with Hearts and Stendel.  I say give him another year, 23 is the cut off point for a young player.