Steve Fulton

pointon

Over these difficult times I have watching a lot of older footage dam he was some player and from what his background was loves the club 

PHM

thoughts ?

1 hour ago, pointon said:

Over these difficult times I have watching a lot of older footage dam he was some player and from what his background was loves the club 

PHM

thoughts ?

Look on YouTube for the Si Ferry interview. Imo absolutely class.

He was different class. 

Wish someone would do a Stevie Fulton passing, goals and assists video. 👀

Proper football player. 

Relieved he's no deid. 

Or Velicka. 

Stop it. 

Edited by martoon

I remember being a wee bit underwhelmed when we signed Fulton but it was misplaced. 

1995-98 were three very good years for us and Stevie was at the heart of it. 

Smashing player. 

andyscott82
6 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

A Rolls Royce of a player. Not good enough for Scotland though apparently.

I said in another thread the other day, it’s a disgrace he wasn’t in the squad for the ‘98 World Cup. He’d had an incredible season and was at his peak. 

6 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Booked at Fester for being ugly

Ah yes, I remember the Hibs patter of yesteryear too. It’s not improved any.

SectionDJambo

He had the full range of passing a ball. Long or short, it usually ended up exactly where he wanted it.

Had some weight/fitness problems, but JJ helped him along there and his quality more than made up for it.

For older guys, similar to Jim Townsend in respect of skill making fitness less important, in my opinion.

Different class. Sort of player you're happy to pay to watch. And somehow looked so much classier because he was left-footed.

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

He had the full range of passing a ball. Long or short, it usually ended up exactly where he wanted it.

Had some weight/fitness problems, but JJ helped him along there and his quality more than made up for it.

For older guys, similar to Jim Townsend in respect of skill making fitness less important, in my opinion.

This.

Салатные палочки

I remember my dad telling me on the way to a game that if Fulton was playing to try and watch him all game and watch his range of passing.  I'm convinced he could hit the corner flag from the opposite corner so precise was his passing. 

Another one, like Mickey, who would burst a gut to get into the box.  He looked at times like he actually was going to burst a gut!  We were really lucky that I think we got him at his peak.  He looked lean in the 97/98 season and it showed on the park.  Although he was still class with the ball at his feet, come the following season he looked to have put some weight back on.  

William H. Bonney

Unbelievably poor in his first season. When his name appeared on the team sheet you would shake your head in disbelief . 
Something changed, he went on to become one of our most pivotal players during that era. I would lambast jj during that first season but I’m sure glad he stuck with him. 

45 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

Unbelievably poor in his first season. When his name appeared on the team sheet you would shake your head in disbelief . 
Something changed, he went on to become one of our most pivotal players during that era. I would lambast jj during that first season but I’m sure glad he stuck with him. 

Saw him in a midweek game away at Fir Park on what must have been close to his debut. Barely moved from the centre circle, and looked ridiculously unfit. Went on to be some player.

StevenNaismith

My son was in the youth team when Fulton was at Hearts and he used to pick him up and drop him home most days. An absolute gentleman, a wonderful player and an absolute machine on the drink 🍻

Edited by StevenNaismith

Had the talent to make it at a high level but fitness or motivation just couldnt do it.

What a player though!   97/98 running from midfield with the ball into dangerous areas.  Having salvatori and cameron with the legs let him do what he done best, not having to wprry about tracking men back and defending that much.

Auld Reekin'

He and Skacel are my favourite Hearts' midfielders (and Skacel wasn't really a "midfielder" as such). A great player, and nice to hear that he's a good-guy as well.

Fantastic player and Hearts Captain.

It was clear to all that he gave absolutely everything in that cup final.  He was out on his feet long before the final whistle but gave his all!

Brilliant!!

Fantastic player and an absolute peach of a Jefferies signing (along with so many others during JJ's first rebuild). Makes you wonder how Jefferies could get it so spot on when he had limited cash to burn, but totally fecked it up with the SMG money on Simpson and that Pog look-a-like huddy cant Petric! 

Anyway, back on topic, Stevie "Baggio" Fulton was an immense player for us and part of one of the best midfields we've had at Hearts (certainly in my 42 years on this planet). His banter with Lockie on the Neil Pointon 98 home video was brilliant (when they walk into the changing room at Parkhead) as well😂. As someone mentioned above, a Cup Winning Captain!! 

Edited by Fraggle

East Lothian Jambo
55 minutes ago, Apache Mal said:

I wonder it’s lost on some that he’s a cup winning Hearts captain. 

He most certainly is 

97/98 season was his best. Great down the left hand side with Naysmith and McCann 

Cameron used to get on his bike and know Fulton would find him 

Played the way football should be played. Have it on good authority he was a lunatic when it came to practical jokes and once attended a club fancy dress in the scud

Edited by Jamhammer

Fulton was a brilliant football player great passer of a ball with an intelligent football head with fantastic skills .

2 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Fulton should have played at a much higher level.  What a baller. 

I think if he was much naturally fitter and a bit quicker, he'd never have been near Falkirk or us in his prime. 

3 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

I’d heard that his laddies were gonna be very good but not heard a lot about them.

Jay Fulton played in the English Premier League with Swansea. 

ArcticJambo

Thought he was pretty pish like, but then I only saw him up to sep '96. :ohhwell:

1 hour ago, stevie ed said:

Naismith, Fulton and McCann what a left side of the park we had!

Baggio would play the ball through the channels for McCann and Mickey to run onto. As someone said they were on their bikes as soon as he drew back his left foot to pass the ball. An advantage of a settled side where the players had an understanding of each other. Another reason why chopping and changing has not benefited us these past 3 years. 

35 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

Thought he was pretty pish like, but then I only saw him up to sep '96. :ohhwell:

So who lightens you’re world these days?

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, pointon said:

Probably the grim reaper.

ArcticJambo
3 minutes ago, pointon said:

A mint cream from Aldi's.  :sweeet:

4 hours ago, Cruyff said:

I think if he was much naturally fitter and a bit quicker, he'd never have been near Falkirk or us in his prime. 

Liked the fags and junk food too much. 

upgotheheads

Another of JJ's inspired signings in his first spell at the club, he could read a game and pass a ball like very few others.

21 hours ago, martoon said:

I remember being a wee bit underwhelmed when we signed Fulton but it was misplaced. 

1995-98 were three very good years for us and Stevie was at the heart of it. 

Smashing player. 

another great signing by JJ. 👍

1 hour ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

another great signing by JJ. 👍

Absolutely, bud. 

Skippy Doodle

This goal is a simple quick example of what he brought to the team that we lack in current squad. Head up and good forward pass to Makel who then plays in Wales. A bozanic type would have played square pass or backwards to Berra 

gashauskis9
19 hours ago, Apache Mal said:

I wonder it’s lost on some that he’s a cup winning Hearts captain. 

It’s not hard to be fair, Lockie wouldn’t give him a sniff of the trophy.