PFA - A National Disgrace?

busby1985

Have to admit though, I am looking forward to the pity campaign that the players/union will now put together to try and swing public opinion in their favour. Wondering who will pop their head above the parapet first... I’ll go for Jamie Walker. Loic Damour perhaps... or maybe we will all be lighting a candle to hold aloft for Uche Ikpeazu. 

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Last Laff

• Beast Boy

• Kidd’s Boots

• busby1985

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Section Q said:

That's their job mate. The players pay a percentage of their wages for representation by the equivalent of a trade union. An over paid mob I will admit but they're entitled to advice.

National disgrace......😂

It’s more about advising them basically not to do a Leeds ie agree terms with their clubs without them. For me, they are trying to stay relative and have lost the plot on the bigger picture. 

5 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

It’s more about advising them basically not to do a Leeds ie agree terms with their clubs without them. For me, they are trying to stay relative and have lost the plot on the bigger picture. 

If you say so but they are entitled to advice.. that's what they pay the PFA for.....footie players aren't the smartest on the planet.....!

Everybody's case is different.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/atletico-madrid-70-per-cent-wage-cut-players-coaching-staff-coronavirus-a4405416.html

8 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Have to admit though, I am looking forward to the pity campaign that the players/union will now put together to try and swing public opinion in their favour. Wondering who will pop their head above the parapet first... I’ll go for Jamie Walker. Loic Damour perhaps... or maybe we will all be lighting a candle to hold aloft for Uche Ikpeazu. 

I'll go for a controversial Michael Smith.

Just now, HMFC01 said:

I'll go for a controversial Michael Smith.

Ooh, curve ball. Boyce... 😬

We shall see, I suppose. 🍿

Jambo 4 Ever
1 hour ago, kingm616 said:

When all this is done and dusted and life returns to normal. The paying public should turn their backs on football. Mass cancellations of subscriptions with these tv companies and hurt these despicable *******s where it hurts. Bring the ******* roof down on the greedy selfish lot that they are!

This 

no more betting on it either and all the  Cringeworthy “coupon” chat 

Jambo 4 Ever
1 hour ago, stirlo said:

The PFA and premier league footballers really need to take a long hard look at themselves and realise how bad they are making themselves look. People who earn way less than them in many parts of society are making some fantastic gestures to help others in difficulty at the moment.

I just hope that if one positive comes out of this terrible episode it's that people will realise that life can go on without multi-millionaire footballers - but it can't go on without nurses, doctors, people stacking supermarket shelves, people producing food and essentials, people transporting food and essentials, people producing medicines etc. 

This

in some ways I actually hope football is less popular after all this and people go back to supporting their own local team 

Jambo 4 Ever
28 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

I’m starting to think that football as we know it won’t survive this.  

Good news at last 

2 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

I’m in the camp of feck the PFA and furlough football players like any other employee. What makes these people exempt from what everyone else has to suffer in this crisis ?

Who says they shouldn’t take cuts?

make no mistake though if this was happening two months later and we had pumped Hibs at hampden (again) and out of relegation trouble a lot of attitudes would be the complete reverse.  Even as to reconstruction, nobody would give a shit if Hamilton are bottom, in fact I would guess the majority on here would have a dilemma as to award Celtic being champions while championing the fact that Dundee Utd should be promoted and if we got out of trouble hardly anyone, including Budge would be wanting reconstruction to battle Hamilton’s case.  It’s all about self interest.  Me too.  Let’s not pretend it’s anything different though. 

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, Last Laff said:

make no mistake though if this was happening two months later and we had pumped Hibs at hampden (again) and out of relegation trouble a lot of attitudes would be the complete reverse.  Even as to reconstruction, nobody would give a shit if Hamilton are bottom, in fact I would guess the majority on here would have a dilemma as to award Celtic being champions while championing the fact that Dundee Utd should be promoted and if we got out of trouble hardly anyone, including Budge would be wanting reconstruction to battle Hamilton’s case.  It’s all about self interest.  Me too.  Let’s not pretend it’s anything different though. 

Two months later? Like, after the season has finished or maybe has at most one game left for most teams?

The whole reason we are discussing this is that it happened in mid March when the season is nowhere near finished - both in terms of settling final position and with a lot of matches players are not going to play or even train properly for but still seem to expect to get paid for.

If this was 2 months later, the league positions would have been decided and Celtic probably would have won the title already. Players contracts would be up. 

15 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

It’s about being fair surely. On that basis Celtic deserve the title as it was in the bag and most fans except for those of one club don’t have any difficulty with that. Dundee Utd deserve promotion, also in the bag.

Not that this mess will be adjudicated on the basis of fairness right enough but no team should be awarded a title Or promoted or indeed relegated where there was a reasonable doubt about the final outcome.

We are Hearts fans. We don’t want to be relegated and we’ll happily take whatever outcome avoids that. But we shouldn’t be relegated, nor should Partick or any other club who was bottom, but still had a fighting chance, even if that club was St Mirren (well maybe not St Mirren)

if this is two months later and we’re safe and Hamilton are 2 points behind st Mirren with 3 games to play should they go down ? No they absolutely shouldn’t. Thats totally unfair.

Not entirely sure what that’s all got to do with players looking to remain on ludicrous money for nothing for the next 4 months but hey ho.

Edited by JimmyCant

17 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

No, that’s just pure assumption.

If we were out of the relegations zone and in the final, I’d still want an expanded league. I’d not be advocating any club being unfairly relegated when there was a realistic chance they could have stayed up. I’d still be telling the PFA to go **** themselves if they started asking to see our accounts too.

Guest ToqueJambo

The aim of the SPFL now should be to help keep as many clubs as possible afloat and offset their losses as much as possible. That ultimately will help players too at all levels.

Expanding to 18 teams - even just for one season - would solve the promotion/relegation issues and give a number of clubs in the Championship (and further down as other teams get bumped up) access to Premiership opponents in the league to help recoup money lost this year. To me, that offsets any small loss of money Celtic and Rangers (and other existing Premiership clubs) might experience from fewer games vs the OF, fewer derbies, etc. It's a great opportunity to test league reconstruction of some sort. 16 or 18 team league would be my choice. It should be an easy sell to TV companies. For a start folk will just be gagging to watch football again, no matter what format the league is in. And it could be marketed as something different. If it doesn't work or clubs don't want to continue it, then relegating 4 or 6 teams to get it down to a smaller league again would be tough, but the positives seem to outweigh the negatives.

I fully expect the SPFL to make the worst decision possible though and to take ages doing it, with Celtic and Rangers the main beneficiaries whatever happens.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Another month or 6 weeks and this will sort itself out.  Clubs can't afford to keep paying wages with no income streams.

I'm of the view that AB was ahead of the pack and did the right thing at the right time.