Domestic violence in France

Morgan

Up 34% since Lockdown started 16 days ago.

I mean, :wtf: 

As if things aren’t bad enough.  What the Hell is wrong with some people?

It’s a stressful time. People the world over are worried about jobs and money and their health. Then they have lockdown to contend with, suddenly finding yourself in the house with the other half for 24 hours a day when you’d normally not see each other during the day as you’re both at work. Then you have the time you spend playing 5’s, golf, going for a couple of jars - all gone.

That’s in no way to condone any sort of domestic violence. It’s abhorrent. More that I can understand the rise you quoted :( 

There will be many negative consequences of this pandemic. An increase in domestic abuse cases, will without doubt, be one.

I mean, 2 weeks in self isolation with my girlfriend certainly tested my patience at times. But I can't imagine a situation that would make me lift my hands to her. If only she'd lift her hands... to a ****ing hoover or a dirty plate.

John Findlay

It would interesting if possible to see the percentage of who is doing the violence to whom.

Shanks said no

There has been a dramatic increase in domestic violence in Scotland, direct quote from a person in Victims Support Scotland this morning. 

Victims of domestic abuse are also having great difficulties as they are in lockdown, no escape and difficult to report incidences of violence.

Me and the missus have got on much better than I thought. Never in our 11 years have we been together as much as much as this. Suppose the kids being around and not wanting to bicker or argue in front of them helps. 

Would never dream of lifting my hands to her nor would she do the same to me. We have had some pretty heated exchanges over the years but violence never crossed my mind. 

11 minutes ago, Dia Liom said:

That's the french for you.

They’re not my favourite people, I must admit, but that’s a bit of a sweeping statement.

37 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

It would interesting if possible to see the percentage of who is doing the violence to whom.

Can't find stats for Scotland, but:

"An estimated 1.6 million women and 786,000 men experienced domestic abuse in England and Wales in the year ending March 2019, according to the Office for National Statistics."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52081280

Shocking statistic.

Edited by Ray Gin

24 minutes ago, Dia Liom said:

That's the french for you.

Settle down. Domestic abuse is certainly not limited to France.

Robbo-Jambo
2 hours ago, Locky said:

I mean, 2 weeks in self isolation with my girlfriend certainly tested my patience at times. But I can't imagine a situation that would make me lift my hands to her. If only she'd lift her hands... to a ****ing hoover or a dirty plate.

:laugh2:

alwaysthereinspirit
20 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

"An estimated 1.6 million women and 786,000 men experienced domestic abuse in England and Wales in the year ending March 2019, according to the Office for National Statistics."

Shocking statistic.

Well that's the English and Welsh for you.

23 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Shocking statistic.

There's a difference between domestic abuse and domestic violence though.  Abuse could be a lot of things, including name calling and sulking, yes sulking, at the lower end of the scale; according to Women's Aid.  If they're including sulking in those statistic, I don't believe them. :D 

1 minute ago, Lemongrab said:

There's a difference between domestic abuse and domestic violence though.  Abuse could be a lot of things, including name calling and sulking, yes sulking, at the lower end of the scale; according to Women's Aid.  If they're including sulking in those statistic, I don't believe them. :D 

Some non-physical abuse can be even more harmful than violence.

Obviously not sulking though. 

1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

Some non-physical abuse can be even more harmful than violence.

Obviously not sulking though. 

I did a training course on domestic violence at work a few years ago. Me the sole bloke and 13 women.  A woman from Women's Aid presented it, along with a female police sergeant.  Boy, did I feel uncomfortable listening to some of the stories we were told. 

*this is not meant as a joke*

It will sadly be happening all over the world, and I would imagine a spike in Glasgow one way or another when it’s decided what will happen with the league title this year. 

2 hours ago, redjambo said:

Settle down. Domestic abuse is certainly not limited to France.

😆 sorry!  I read ray gin's comment as 'There's a lot of cretins out there (in France)'.

Should have used a smiley to indicate irony. Lot of snowflakes on this site nowadays.    (.... 😜)

22 minutes ago, Dia Liom said:

😆 sorry!  I read ray gin's comment as 'There's a lot of cretins out there (in France)'.

Should have used a smiley to indicate irony. Lot of snowflakes on this site nowadays.    (.... 😜)

Normally I would react to the inane use of the word "snowflake", even as a joke, but hey, given the seriousness of the subject matter, I'm not even going to go there this time. You take care.

32 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

If you are a kid who is subject to abuse at home this will be a hellish time as well. 

Was saying the same to one of the girls (by text of course) earlier today.

davemclaren
29 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Was saying the same to one of the girls (by text of course) earlier today.

Yip, most of us view the family home as a warm, welcoming and safe place but for some kids it’s anything but, unfortunately. 

8 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Yip, most of us view the family home as a warm, welcoming and safe place but for some kids it’s anything but, unfortunately. 

:(

Hadn't even thought of that.

Probably intensified in many instances by parents now needing to find the money for meals that school would normally have taken care of.

davemclaren
18 minutes ago, The Roller said:

Hadn't even thought of that.

Probably intensified in many instances by parents now needing to find the money for meals that school would normally have taken care of.

Yip, schools mean a lot more to some kids than just education. School might give them the only decent meal of the day and time away from drug addict parents etc..

27 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Yip, schools mean a lot more to some kids than just education. School might give them the only decent meal of the day and time away from drug addict parents etc..

31 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I had a school friend who had a horrific home life. Last I heard he got to the manager's position at Debenhams, which is brilliant considering his home life was so fuct up. I  now believe he made sure he was on detection just to delay going home. 

2 hours ago, redjambo said:

Normally I would react to the inane use of the word "snowflake", even as a joke, but hey, given the seriousness of the subject matter, I'm not even going to go there this time. You take care.

Ok, 2 bad jokes from me. Sorry to have upset people!  Contrary to Morgan, the french actually are some my favourite people - I'm half french.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Marvin said:

I had a school friend who had a horrific home life. Last I heard he got to the manager's position at Debenhams, which is brilliant considering his home life was so fuct up. I  now believe he made sure he was on detection just to delay going home. 

Good to see he got through it and has done well for himself.

3 hours ago, davemclaren said:

If you are a kid who is subject to abuse at home this will be a hellish time as well. 

Being a foster carer I hear a lot of stories from social workers that are heartbreaking, must be awful just now (more than usual).

Social workers are pretty much working from home so anything that might have been picked up on a home visit is going to be missed.

1 hour ago, Dia Liom said:

Ok, 2 bad jokes from me. Sorry to have upset people!  Contrary to Morgan, the french actually are some my favourite people - I'm half french.

I’ve lived in France for 12 years, had a house here for 19 years.

I’ll counter your ‘two bad jokes’ with my ‘one bad joke’.  :) 

Deal?

3 hours ago, redjambo said:

:thumbsup:

51 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Good to see he got through it and has done well for himself.

He has done brilliantly RM. Not to mention his girlfriend is really gorgeous; lucky barsteward.

The Real Maroonblood
13 minutes ago, Marvin said:

He has done brilliantly RM. Not to mention his girlfriend is really gorgeous; lucky barsteward.

👍

10 hours ago, Morgan said:

Up 34% since Lockdown started 16 days ago.

I mean, :wtf: 

As if things aren’t bad enough.  What the Hell is wrong with some people?

Same here. Up 30% (Mrs Cant works for the police) Folk still having house parties too !!

i was saying to the missus that we haven’t got on as well as this for ages. Just something that happens when you really need to look out for each other I’d have thought. 

16 hours ago, Morgan said:

They’re not my favourite people, I must admit, but that’s a bit of a sweeping statement.

You started the thread. :D

luckyBatistuta
19 hours ago, John Findlay said:

It wouldn’t really John. It’s going to be a high percentage of men against women, guaranteed. Even if it was the opposite, (which I don’t think it would be) hardly any men are going to report/phone the police if their partner hits them

John Findlay
Just now, luckyBatistuta said:

It wouldn’t really John. It’s going to be a high percentage of men against women, guaranteed. Even if it was the opposite, (which I don’t think it would be) hardly any men are going to report/phone the police if their partner hits them

Maybe 10 years ago. Nowadays alot more men are coming forward. Historically domestic violence has been men violating women, as many believed women are not violent(which in all honesty is a load of nonsense), even today there are many still believe that women are not violent 

Domestic violence is just wrong regardless of who the perpetrator is.

It shouldn't happen, but sadly it does.

luckyBatistuta
3 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Maybe 10 years ago. Nowadays alot more men are coming forward. Historically domestic violence has been men violating women, as many believed women are not violent(which in all honesty is a load of nonsense), even today there are many still believe that women are not violent 

You’re spot on with the part in bold, but I still believe that there will be a large majority of men who are assaulted/abused by their partners who still wouldn’t report it. I think, even nowadays, that they would still feel they somehow aren’t a man if they can’t deal with a woman hitting them, wrong as that is.

9 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

The old Zero Tolerance adverts used to really piss me off.

To me, I always found "There's No Excuse For Violence Against Women" implied that there was an excuse for violence against men. Should have just stuck with "No Excuse For Violence". 

1 minute ago, Normthebarman said:

To me, I always found "There's No Excuse For Violence Against Women" implied that there was an excuse for violence against men. Should have just stuck with "No Excuse For Violence". 

That's a very good point, Norm.

luckyBatistuta
22 minutes ago, Normthebarman said:

:spoton:

doctor jambo

Domestic violence is very much man on woman

Domestic abuse however I suspect is weihgted in the other direction.

It is not reflected in the stats, but coercion, control, verbal abuse and the like are much more a female domain.

Quite a few nights out where the partner of a pal of mine has kicked off giving it verbals , never seen it the other way arouind

AlphonseCapone
11 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Domestic violence is very much man on woman

Domestic abuse however I suspect is weihgted in the other direction.

It is not reflected in the stats, but coercion, control, verbal abuse and the like are much more a female domain.

Quite a few nights out where the partner of a pal of mine has kicked off giving it verbals , never seen it the other way arouind

Ah well if you've never seen then that definitely means something 🙄

13 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Same here. Up 30% (Mrs Cant works for the police) Folk still having house parties too !!

i was saying to the missus that we haven’t got on as well as this for ages. Just something that happens when you really need to look out for each other I’d have thought. 

House parties?  Still?

FFS!

Second part of your post, Jimmy, is spot on.  :thumbsup:

5 minutes ago, indianajones said:

That country is full of short tempers.

Who the feck are you talking to?

:whistling: