UB40

Locky

Been a while since I posted a random band thread. Suns out, and I need the cheering up, and a bit of UB40 always helps. Another band I grew up on, always takes me to a faraway happy place with my dad, and absent family that's no longer with us, sat in the back garden on a nice day, with a few beers.

Tuco Salamanca

I am a massive fan but I began to dislike their new stuff probably around promises and lies 

This court battle they now have is a real shame but Robin thinking they are the UB40 singing with the other brother is pretty desperate stuff UB40 will never be UB40 without Astro and Ali. 

Ali's recent album with his UB40 was decent.. 'I want you' was a great track. 

spirt of 98

Saw them live at Stirling Castle must be 25 years ago ish. What a night. The trip home was interesting as the local neds tried to tax our posters on the way home. 

Never realised how many scum bags live in Stirling. 

14 minutes ago, Tuco Salamanca said:

I am a massive fan but I began to dislike their new stuff probably around promises and lies 

This court battle they now have is a real shame but Robin thinking they are the UB40 singing with the other brother is pretty desperate stuff UB40 will never be UB40 without Astro and Ali. 

Ali's recent album with his UB40 was decent.. 'I want you' was a great track. 

Yeah it's all a bit mad that they've essentially split into 2. 

36 minutes ago, Locky said:

Yeah it's all a bit mad that they've essentially split into 2. 

Watched the documentary on them a few months ago, a more acrimonious split you won't see. One thing for sure, either Ali or Robin is a lying git.

Got their name from the code on the old dole form no?

George Galloway is a massive fan 

davemclaren
56 minutes ago, Tynieman said:

Yes. Ub40 was the card you got. 

Les Izemore

Yep, they were pretty decent in their early days, 1 in 10, King, Tyler et al (I know you can say that about loads of bands).

But once they ran out of ideas, and became in essence a covers band, they totally chucked all their creativity. That Labour of Love album and Red Red Wine was the first strike of their death knell and they fell off a creative cliff. The equivalent of a Sweet Inspiration style wedding band. 

They’re all filthy rich, of course, due to ditching their principles and almost any semblance of reggae. See Aswad also. 

The Earth Dies Screaming seems prophetic though. 

the Hearts way
4 hours ago, Les Izemore said:

Yep, they were pretty decent in their early days, 1 in 10, King, Tyler et al (I know you can say that about loads of bands).

But once they ran out of ideas, and became in essence a covers band, they totally chucked all their creativity. That Labour of Love album and Red Red Wine was the first strike of their death knell and they fell off a creative cliff. The equivalent of a Sweet Inspiration style wedding band. 

They’re all filthy rich, of course, due to ditching their principles and almost any semblance of reggae. See Aswad also. 

If you appreciate real reggae, YOUTUBE Burning Spear... Marcus Garvey. 

Prophecy at it's highest (Selassie) level! 

Sorry don't know how to upload.

🇯🇲🇶🇦🇪🇹

Edited by the Hearts way

scott herbertson
10 hours ago, Les Izemore said:

Indeed

Just by chance I saw a very early gig of theirs. I was doing a post graduate diploma at Robert Gordons in Aberdeen in 1980 and went on the piss at the University one night.  Their first single 'King ' was out and had just got in the charts so their gig was way too small for the band (place held about 150. About 250 people crammed in and they played the whole album and then ran out of material but were loving the crowd reaction (wasn't often a h'hit' band visited Aberdeen those days).

So they played their whole set again, then after a lot of encore cries decided to play it again only for the staff to literally pull the plug by disconnecting their power and turning all the lights off. mayhem ensued.

A fun night but they basically became just a covers band glossing up old reggae classics afte rthat

Les Izemore
7 hours ago, the Hearts way said:

If you appreciate real reggae, YOUTUBE Burning Spear... Marcus Garvey. 

Prophecy at it's highest (Selassie) level! 

Sorry don't know how to upload.

🇯🇲🇶🇦🇪🇹

I’ve got the vinyl 12” knocking about, great tune. 

16 hours ago, spirt of 98 said:

Saw them live at Stirling Castle must be 25 years ago ish. What a night. The trip home was interesting as the local neds tried to tax our posters on the way home. 

Never realised how many scum bags live in Stirling. 

Never had a problem with Stirlingshire people. Used to go through clubbing every other week.

crunchy frog
16 hours ago, Les Izemore said:

Totally agree bud. The first 4 albums or so were pretty unbeatable but LoL was the beginning of the end. I did see them at the Playhouse in 84 on the Jeffrey Morgan tour, from my spot in the stalls the circle and balcony was actually bouncing.

Came out of the gig and met my then girlfriend who was queing overnight to get tickets for something else the next morning (probaly Big Country), told her I'd see her in the morning then went home. She was a trooper...... 

...a bit disco
47 minutes ago, crunchy frog said:

Totally agree bud. The first 4 albums or so were pretty unbeatable but LoL was the beginning of the end. I did see them at the Playhouse in 84 on the Jeffrey Morgan tour, from my spot in the stalls the circle and balcony was actually bouncing.

Came out of the gig and met my then girlfriend who was queing overnight to get tickets for something else the next morning (probaly Big Country), told her I'd see her in the morning then went home. She was a trooper...... 

:lol:

Me and a mate were queuing for Big Country tickets that night when a boy came out the fire exit. Told us there was no bouncers around so we went in. Got there just as the band came on.

Decent concert and free as well!

crunchy frog
19 hours ago, ...a bit disco said:

:lol:

Me and a mate were queuing for Big Country tickets that night when a boy came out the fire exit. Told us there was no bouncers around so we went in. Got there just as the band came on.

Decent concert and free as well!

Good effort. Hope you weren't hitting on my burd!

Got something which has been doing my head in since I started this thread.

The song 'sing our own song' appeared o n something I watched but I can't remember for the life of me what? It was them performing it in a sort of club/bar, and it was on a comedy TV show. I'm sure it was something my old man showed me but my minds blank. I recall there was maybe a fight breaking out in the show, as they came to the stage to play.

Anyone got a clue? 

1 hour ago, Locky said:

Got something which has been doing my head in since I started this thread.

The song 'sing our own song' appeared o n something I watched but I can't remember for the life of me what? It was them performing it in a sort of club/bar, and it was on a comedy TV show. I'm sure it was something my old man showed me but my minds blank. I recall there was maybe a fight breaking out in the show, as they came to the stage to play.

Anyone got a clue? 

Was that not Boy George in the A Team. :D

...a bit disco
1 hour ago, crunchy frog said:

Good effort. Hope you weren't hitting on my burd!

:biggrin:

I P Knightley
On 01/04/2020 at 18:51, Tynieman said:

"UB" for Unemployment Benefit