Little Things To Pass The Time.

...a bit disco

...a bit disco

As the title says, share your little time wasters. Be it internet finds, what's going on in your garden, sock wars with your kids, your latest attempt at baking, whatever.

I'm starting with this.

Edited by ...a bit disco

...a bit disco
1 minute ago, milky_26 said:

a friend did a pub quiz last night over zoom, was reasonable was also good to see people

Other people!

I was beginning to feel like Will Smith in I Am Legend.

I know that everyone has different amusements, but I've decided to spend some of my time writing a piece of software to solve killer sudoku puzzles. The logic involved is keeping the old grey matter going and, more importantly, me distracted. Even then, I think I should find a greater variety of things to do, some manual and some mental. My ukulele is lying there begging me to practice on it, so I'll probably give in to its demands.

Scrabble.  :facepalm:  Remember Scrabble?  Jesus.

Doing football trivia in my head.

Trying to beat my wife at Scrabble.  FFS, losing to my wife at Scrabble.  :vrface:

At least it’s Scrabble on the iPad, not on a board.  Still losing though.  :jj_facepalm:

...a bit disco
6 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I know that everyone has different amusements, but I've decided to spend some of my time writing a piece of software to solve killer sudoku puzzles. The logic involved is keeping the old grey matter going and, more importantly, me distracted. Even then, I think I should find a greater variety of things to do, some manual and some mental. My ukulele is lying there begging me to practice on it, so I'll probably give in to its demands.

:thumbsup:

...a bit disco
14 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Trying to beat my wife at Scrabble.  FFS, losing to my wife at Scrabble.  :vrface:

At least it’s Scrabble on the iPad, not on a board.  Still losing though.  :jj_facepalm:

Scrabble with family is ill advised at the best of times!

27 minutes ago, ...a bit disco said:

Other people!

I was beginning to feel like Will Smith in I Am Legend.

i live alone so it was just people not other people

1 minute ago, ...a bit disco said:

Scrabble with family is ill advised at the best of times!

My whole post got 34 points.

Your one line answer was worth 56.

FFS, I’m even losing at Scrabble on here to folk I don’t know.  ::facepaw::

...a bit disco
30 minutes ago, Morgan said:

My whole post got 34 points.

Your one line answer was worth 56.

FFS, I’m even losing at Scrabble on here to folk I don’t know.  ::facepaw::

Sorted mate.

81VImyXrRiL._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.c648e0bbae799bd742fb28319c13a138.jpg

...a bit disco
33 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

i live alone so it was just people not other people

There have been times recently I wish I did live alone!

scottish_chicP

I am going to attempt online yoga this afternoon :lol: Have also ordered a Sega Mega Drive mini with 40 games. 

...a bit disco
3 minutes ago, scottish_chicP said:

I am going to attempt online yoga this afternoon :lol: Have also ordered a Sega Mega Drive mini with 40 games. 

Both at the same time?

Very Zen.

4 minutes ago, scottish_chicP said:

i was bored so built a retro gaming console out of a raspberry pi. i have master system, mega drive, NES, SNES and N64 games on it

scottish_chicP
3 minutes ago, ...a bit disco said:

Both at the same time?

Very Zen.

Ha sadly the Sega hasn't arrived yet, hence the yoga! 

scottish_chicP
2 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

i was bored so built a retro gaming console out of a raspberry pi. i have master system, mega drive, NES, SNES and N64 games on it

Yeah that's a wee bit above my abilities to be honest :lol:

3 minutes ago, scottish_chicP said:

Yeah that's a wee bit above my abilities to be honest :lol:

it was straight forward using online guides. i got an os image as a free download and followed the instructions. the hardest bit was getting the wireless controller to work, it is all fine now

...a bit disco
3 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Watching Countdown.

Heads up.

Ms Riley is back after giving birth.

Her breasts are magnificent!!!!

This is content!

Jingle Bells
1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Dirty (word) Scrabble  is more fun.

21 minutes ago, Jingle Bells said:

Dirty (word) Scrabble  is more fun.

Zuck is worth 60 points if you get a treble word square.

My wife is getting it later.

Jingle Bells
2 hours ago, Morgan said:

Zuck is worth 60 points if you get a treble word square.

My wife is getting it later.

I'm sure she will be thankful.

Jingle Bells
31 minutes ago, Angry Haggis said:

WELL against the spirt of the rules mate. 🤷‍♂️

Apart from fact that the Government  is running daily TV Ads telling  people to take outdoor evercise but practice safe distancing, whilst doing so, as long as they are not in the higjh risk categories.

You know better than them?

14 minutes ago, Jingle Bells said:

Apart from fact that the Government  is running daily TV Ads telling  people to take outdoor evercise but practice safe distancing, whilst doing so, as long as they are not in the higjh risk categories.

The guidelines clearly state you’ve not to drive anywhere to exercise or walk dogs. 

Jingle Bells
8 minutes ago, Tazio said:

The guidelines clearly state you’ve not to drive anywhere to exercise or walk dogs. 

Aye, thats why I previously mentioned that they were closed, plus they both got rammed a few weeks ago.

I'd need a car and a dog first to comply.

41 minutes ago, tedarmy said:

might get some vinyl played

vinyl2.jpg

Been doing a lot of that as I’ve imposed a rule of no telly before 6pm so I don’t turn into a couch potato. Today was jazz day, I might do soul and blues tomorrow. 

Doing a bit of Family Tree research. Anyone any experience of using Scotland's People, Ancestry UK etc? Any tips, recommendations?

7 hours ago, robroy1874 said:

Doing a bit of Family Tree research. Anyone any experience of using Scotland's People, Ancestry UK etc? Any tips, recommendations?

Yes, I've used ScotlandsPeople a lot. I don't use Ancestry, but I do use FamilySearch a great deal and find it very useful. For censuses, I also often use FindMyPast at the local library.

Feel free to PM me or ask me any specific questions on this thread. Note also that @Jambo-Jimbo on the Coronavirus shared journal thread mentioned yesterday that he does a lot of family history research, and others on here have mentioned their interest in the past too.

My first recommendation is usually to get in contact with as many older living relatives as you can and ask them what they remember of their ancestors and relatives. It can be a gold mine of information. Then work backwards from there. But with ScotlandsPeople you can usually work back a few generations very quickly anyway.

Edited by redjambo

Have got back into running big time really rediscovered a love for it again. 

Practicing music. 

Binge watching TV shows I would otherwise have never given a chance. Same with movies. 

E books and podcasts. 

And of course two young kids running round like mental. 

I P Knightley

I've still got work to do but am missing out on my (cycling) commute. So for my exercise time, I've been getting out on the bike using Strava to try and trace a good cock'n'baws over London. I'm getting there and think that my next effort will be very presentable. 

8 hours ago, robroy1874 said:

31 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Yes, I've used ScotlandsPeople a lot. I don't use Ancestry, but I do use FamilySearch a great deal and find it very useful. For censuses, I also often use FindMyPast at the local library.

Feel free to PM me or ask me any specific questions on this thread. Note also that @Jambo-Jimbo on the Coronavirus shared journal thread mentioned yesterday that he does a lot of family history research, and others on here have mentioned their interest in the past too.

My first recommendation is usually to get in contact with as many older living relatives as you can and ask them what they remember of their ancestors and relatives. It can be a gold mine of information. Then work backwards from there. But with ScotlandsPeople you can usually work back a few generations very quickly anyway.

I'd agree with all of that, but can beat getting into Register House.

I used to do a bit of indexing for FamilySearch, which was basically trying to decipher handwriting on certificates. That's something else to pass the time, if the notion takes you. There's a link for 'volunteer' on their website.

Салатные палочки

What's sock wars?  

It sounds similar to a game me and my mates started playing years ago when we were bored and skint, where you would put a balled up pair of socks in a pair of football socks and hit each other with them. A few of us lived in a big tenement at the time with a big almost hexagonal hallway.  Winner was the person who stayed in the ring.  It got quite serious and we had a ring marked out in tape on the laminate, fighting names, homemade t-shirts and sponsorship.  Some of the sponsors were labels ripped off the tins in the cupboard and stuck to the wall.  That also created another game by accident, which was tinned food lottery, in which we had to eat whatever tin you picked.  

We also played 'The Bin is Out of Bounds', usually on a Sunday, where you weren't allowed to put any of your rubbish in the bin and it was only allowed on the floor.  Loser was the first person to crack and tidy up.  That particular game could last a week.  

Other's included post-it notes all over the owner of the house's room, collectively putting our Nokia phones outside his room and playing the ringtones continuously while him and his girlfriend tried to spend Sunday in bed until he lost his nut and putting bread on his window sill to try to get seagulls to fly in.  

These are all just ideas for you on these long, boring days.  Or you could just go a walk. 

Angry Haggis
16 hours ago, Jingle Bells said:

Your original post seems to have vanished from this thread. However - how is travelling on a bus to go and walk round the Pentland hills essential excercise? You putting yourself and other at risk just by travelling on the bus mate. 

Execise in your locale. 🤷‍♂️

My Internet chess rating has done well over the 10 days.    Lifetime best rating of 1627 on the ELO rating scale.    Top third of 2,000,000 players on Gameknot.

Now possess the ranking of complete nobody.

4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

My Internet chess rating has done well over the 10 days.    Lifetime best rating of 1627 on the ELO rating scale.    Top third of 2,000,000 players on Gameknot.

Now possess the ranking of complete nobody.

Would like to give you game 👍

3 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Would like to give you game 👍

Are you on gameknot?    Victorian00.   

4 hours ago, redjambo said:

That's very helpful. Thanks very much

8 hours ago, redjambo said:

Obviously the buildings are closed at the moment but just a wee bit of behind the scenes info from friends still working there is that they are working from home indexing Prison Registers (ironic given the staff are self isolating 🙂 ) so expect them to get added sometime soon. 👍

6 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Obviously the buildings are closed at the moment but just a wee bit of behind the scenes info from friends still working there is that they are working from home indexing Prison Registers (ironic given the staff are self isolating 🙂 ) so expect them to get added sometime soon. 👍

Great news. I'll be able to find out more about my poaching and sheep-stealing ancestors. ;)

Just now, redjambo said:

Great news. I'll be able to find out more about my poaching and sheep-stealing ancestors. ;)

True story (I've been promised) from way back in the day, certainly pre-digital

Stroppy and beligerent Australian visitor arrived at West Register House. They had traced their ancestry back to a Scottish convict transported to Australia for a crime commited here and to be able to trace back that far is quite prestigious in a way. The Aussie demanded to see the court records of the bullying British state who condemned their g-g-g-g-g-grandfather for such a trivial misdemeanour, probably petty theft to feed their family or something similarly noble.

Genuinely turned out they were actually convicted and transported for animal bestiality

😄

Jambo-Jimbo
30 minutes ago, RobboM said:

One of my wifes direct blood ancestors spent a month (with hard labour) in Jedburgh jail in 1865, the record gave wonderful pieces of information, such as height, hair & eye colour, weight, could they read or write, lots of wee details which you couldn't get from any other documents.

Oh, his crime, he got caught poaching, got caught red handed with nets etc, a month in the clink for that, even made the local newspaper.

But what the records didn't tell you is about his wife and 6 kids, who for a whole month (at least) went with no money and this was in the middle of December, must have been hard.