Saughton Jambo

Hearts legends commission

Saughton Jambo

I’ve asked an artist to help me out with my latest venture. I’m in the process of having a Hearts legends drawing commissioned that I hope to Frame then auction off or donate this to a worthy cause that will  raise funds for the Big Hearts foundation. Permission will be favourably sought from the administrators for this though. So at the moment I’m looking for ideas and legends that will go into this picture.  I’m probably looking for at least a dozen and there are a few iconic images I can use but I’d also like some input from fellow kickbackers. Please post any images you deem worthy and I’ll forward to the artist to give him ideas. I’ve already sent him a few and given him the link the the Hearts hall of fame. 

As the tee shirts are currently lying in the printers factory, then I’m awaiting on them returning to work before they can be printed then distributed. I thought  this is something I can forge ahead with as the artist has some space available to help out. I don’t want to be flouting the rules with fundraising on jkb but these are exceptional times and require exceptional measures. 

Thanks in advance

SJ

Meadows

I done similiar , using an England based artist who does some great paintings . 
if your artist is in Scotland , ignore this post . If England, PM me incase it’s the same guy and I’ll offer words of caution . 

Big Drew

Nick Ross, David Baird, Bobby Walker, Charlie Thomson, John White, Barney Battles Jnr, Tommy Walker, Dave Mackay, Willie Bauld, John Cumming, Jim Cruickshank, John Robertson, Rudi Skacel.

That's my top 12 from studying the history of our famous club. I'll have a picture of Davie Baird somewhere if he makes the 12 - his medal haul with Hearts (won in different positions) is iconic. Long time ago, but a hero of his day just before Bobby Walker and then alongside the Great man.

Nick Ross 1888.jpg

Bobby Walker Colour Picture.jpg

Charlie Thomson Colour.jpg

Jock White Pic 2.jpg

Barney Battles Postcard.jpg

Tommy Walker Phillips 1936.jpg

Dave Mackay 1958.jpg

Willie Bauld Rover comic 1954.jpg

John Cumming Scotland 1960.jpg

Jim Cruickshank wearing Black Kit.jpg

John Robertson 1984-85.jpg

Hibernian 5-1 (N) (SCF) 19.5.2012 Rudi at Tynie with the cup.jpg

Mikey1874

Fantastic Big Drew

Mikey1874
Posted (edited)

IMG_20200331_222417.jpg

IMG_20200331_222536.jpg

Edited by Mikey1874

Saughton Jambo

Love that one with Cruiky. I have asked the artist to do a past legends and a recent legends. Past legends in black and white and recent legends in colour.

I know it’s probably not the time to be asking members to put much needed funds into our charity but I might get these drawings put into print then framed and sold with all funds going to Big Hearts. I shall see how the originals turn out and wether members would like them or not. 

Saughton Jambo
1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

IMG_20200331_222417.jpg

Love this pic 

Mikey1874
Posted (edited)

IMG_20200331_222625.jpg

IMG_20200331_222707.jpg

IMG_20200331_222834.jpg

Edited by Mikey1874

Mikey1874
Posted (edited)

Courtesy of East Coast Railways, James Boyd. 

IMG_20200331_222939.jpg

Edited by Mikey1874

Saughton Jambo
5 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

IMG_20200331_222625.jpg

IMG_20200331_222707.jpg

IMG_20200331_222834.jpg

Wish I could get this in high definition. Difficult to enlarge Rhian up as it loses all clarity. Has anyone got any contacts that could do this? 

Morgan
42 minutes ago, Big Drew said:

Nick Ross, David Baird, Bobby Walker, Charlie Thomson, John White, Barney Battles Jnr, Tommy Walker, Dave Mackay, Willie Bauld, John Cumming, Jim Cruickshank, John Robertson, Rudi Skacel.

That's my top 12 from studying the history of our famous club. I'll have a picture of Davie Baird somewhere if he makes the 12 - his medal haul with Hearts (won in different positions) is iconic. Long time ago, but a hero of his day just before Bobby Walker and then alongside the Great man.

Nick Ross 1888.jpg

Jock White Pic 2.jpg

Dave Mackay 1958.jpg

Magic stuff, Drew.

WorldChampions1902

Saughton Jambo

Some great Images and material here. Can see a youthful JJ making the cut 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Big Drew said:

Nick Ross 1888.jpg

Jock White Pic 2.jpg

Dave Mackay 1958.jpg

Fantastic photos, I’ve never seen Cruikshank in that black strip if memory serves.

Big Drew
48 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

IMG_3736.PNG

IMG_8177.JPG

IMG_3790.JPG

IMG_4150.JPG

IMG_8992.JPG

IMG_4305.JPG

IMG_9078.JPG

IMG_4287.JPG

Brilliant Images '1902' - got a couple of them and have also nicked a couple I don't have! Never thought of JJ but he was the legendary manager who built the side to end the wait for Cup Glory in 1998, so yep, can see why you've picked him. I went for Rudi Skacel as he's scored important goals in his two Cup Final wins, but there is without any shadow of doubt, many modern day candidates from 1998, 2006, 2012 as well. Can see what Saughton Jambo is saying about Black and White for past legends and Colour for the recent legends from 98, 06 and 12. Two T-Shirts is a sound idea and I would definitely buy them both! 

As an aside - the one of Cruickie in his Black kit was taken before the second leg at Molineux before the second leg of the 1970 Texaco Final.

Big Drew
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

IMG_20200331_222417.jpg

IMG_20200331_222536.jpg

These heroes are iconic too for a different reason. Respect to their memory!

Andy Black
12 hours ago, Big Drew said:

Great list!

6 others to consider

Tom Purdie
Bob Mercer
Andy Anderson
Alfie Conn Snr
Jimmy Wardhaugh
Alex Young

Mr 3 Putt

Big Drew
18 hours ago, Saughton Jambo said:

Wish I could get this in high definition. Difficult to enlarge Rhian up as it loses all clarity. Has anyone got any contacts that could do this? 

SJ :- you could try Tom Purdie who did the "Hearts at War 1914-19" book - he will likely have many good quality images. He also did "Hearts - The Golden Years" with many good images used in that book as well. 

WorldChampions1902

Some more food for thought....

IMG_9815.jpg

IMG_9819.jpg

IMG_9820.jpg

IMG_9821.jpg

IMG_9822.jpg

IMG_9823.jpg

IMG_9824.jpg

IMG_9825.jpg

IMG_9826.jpg

IMG_9827.jpg

IMG_9828.jpg

IMG_9829.jpg

IMG_9830.jpg

IMG_9831.jpg

IMG_9832.jpg

IMG_9833.jpg

IMG_9834.jpg

IMG_9835.jpg

IMG_9836.jpg

IMG_9837.jpg

IMG_9838.jpg

IMG_9839.jpg

IMG_9841.jpg

IMG_9842.jpg

IMG_9844.jpg

IMG_9843.jpg

Saughton Jambo
7 minutes ago, Big Drew said:

SJ :- you could try Tom Purdie who did the "Hearts at War 1914-19" book - he will likely have many good quality images. He also did "Hearts - The Golden Years" with many good images used in that book as well. 

Many thanks Big Drew.  Don’t suppose anyone has a contact email or number for him? 

Big Drew
17 minutes ago, Saughton Jambo said:

Many thanks Big Drew.  Don’t suppose anyone has a contact email or number for him? 

I used to have his email address on an old account with Talktalk when I helped him with Images for his "Golden Years book". Unfortunately, I had to get that closed down when someone tried to hack it. His books were published by Amberley publishing. They might be able to help you with contact details. I'm  sure he would be only too pleased to help you if he can. https://www.amberley-books.com/community-tom-purdie

Saughton Jambo
1 hour ago, Big Drew said:

I used to have his email address on an old account with Talktalk when I helped him with Images for his "Golden Years book". Unfortunately, I had to get that closed down when someone tried to hack it. His books were published by Amberley publishing. They might be able to help you with contact details. I'm  sure he would be only too pleased to help you if he can. https://www.amberley-books.com/community-tom-purdie

Thanks buddy it’s greatly appreciated. The collage of legends will only be as good as the images I can supply him and all input from JKB is again, greatly appreciated. If they turn out to be as good as I think they will, then I may approach the club in which they could possibly produce them in reprint for sale to the public with a caveat that all proceeds go to our Big Hearts foundation. The wheels are in motion though and I’ll keep members updated with progress. 

Thanks for your help! 

SJ 

Big Drew

Craig Mitchell, who used to do the Drawings for the Hearts Review magazine in the 1980's/90s drew this image when Hearts won the Cup in 1998. Good wallpaper for anyone out there? The original is very vivid - drawn with good quality coloured pencils. Love this picture! ❤️

Gorgie Legends 1998.JPG

Cory McNamara

1891team.jpg

0,,10289~3113852,00.jpg

1896-Scottish-Cup-Final-1.jpg

Hibs_1903.jpg

1901%20Scottish%20Cup%20Winners.jpg

56cup.jpg

mmoi13-mtr_K1e3rgbv9YqnP0cVuYQZvvUJ1wgdX

Saughton Jambo

image.jpeg.d609cb62cb70a20e2fee41d8b6237010.jpegComing soon. I’ll auction the original and make 12 prints, fully framed if there’s enough interest. All proceeds to FOH. Let me know if any members require these. Full costs will be know once I can get a framers that’s open 

Torry Jambo
20 minutes ago, Saughton Jambo said:

image.jpeg.d609cb62cb70a20e2fee41d8b6237010.jpegComing soon. I’ll auction the original and make 12 prints, fully framed if there’s enough interest. All proceeds to FOH. Let me know if any members require these. Full costs will be know once I can get a framers that’s open 

Looking good

jamboozy
23 minutes ago, Saughton Jambo said:

Coming on SJ, can’t wait for the finished piece.👍

HHGH.  Only Hearts.

SectionDJambo
On 01/04/2020 at 21:06, Big Drew said:

Craig Mitchell, who used to do the Drawings for the Hearts Review magazine in the 1980's/90s drew this image when Hearts won the Cup in 1998. Good wallpaper for anyone out there? The original is very vivid - drawn with good quality coloured pencils. Love this picture! ❤️

Gorgie Legends 1998.JPG

Speaking of the cup winners in 1998. It’s really difficult to pick a 12 over the history of Hearts, but no room for any of those guys?

For Hearts people of my generation, they broke the mould of failure and gave us something we thought we’d never see.

Having said that, the glory teams of the 50s gave longer suffering fans their days of joy.

Forza Cuore

I love this thread a lot. 

BelgeJambo

Sir Gio

Definitely a family resemblance in the Walker family 

Boris

Tin hat on, but no Gary Mackay? Most appearances and all that...

jambosean75

not a legend as such but one of the most iconic hearts images has to be fozzie on the fence

Jamhammer
On 01/04/2020 at 11:00, Mr 3 Putt said:

image.jpeg.63e1e36d1d589befd1a4f178eb709a85.jpeg.jpg

This is one of my favourite photos ever. Not just in football but EVER

Saughton Jambo
57 minutes ago, Boris said:

Tin hat on, but no Gary Mackay? Most appearances and all that...

He’s on the bottom, RHS but not Coloured in yet. Will uo

datw in a few weeks.  

3 hours ago, jamboozy said:

Coming on SJ, can’t wait for the finished piece.👍

HHGH.  Only Hearts.

I walked into that blindfolded JB 🙈. Trust you 😂

John Findlay

You cannot have Willie Bauld in isolation. He has to be with Alfie Conn and Jimmy Wardaugh. They are not the terrible trio for nothing.

Montgomery Brewster
12 hours ago, BelgeJambo said:

57FBD9B3-389B-40DE-865A-44E62D35BBE3.jpeg

Delighted to see this leg end on the picture.

WHAT A GUY.

japanjambo
4 hours ago, BelgeJambo said:

57FBD9B3-389B-40DE-865A-44E62D35BBE3.jpeg

😍

japanjambo
Just now, John Findlay said:

You cannot have Willie Bauld in isolation. He has to be with Alfie Conn and Jimmy Wardaugh. They are not the terrible trio for nothing.

Spot on, John. 

Saughton Jambo
23 hours ago, John Findlay said:

That’s very true John. Someone has to miss out though as I can’t fit them all in. On further reflection I’ve asked the artist to remove Alan Anderson and Henry Smith, to make way for Alfie Conn sr and Jimmy Wardhaugh respectively. 

There will be 12 signed limited edition prints and one original. I’ve had many requests already for these. There’s a few already taken and the rest of them will go to auction, which Scott Wilson has kindly agreed to do once football gets underway this season. 

Saughton Jambo

Saughton Jambo

John Findlay
37 minutes ago, Saughton Jambo said:

That’s very true John. Someone has to miss out though as I can’t fit them all in. On further reflection I’ve asked the artist to remove Alan Anderson and Henry Smith, to make way for Alfie Conn sr and Jimmy Wardhaugh respectively. 

There will be 12 signed limited edition prints and one original. I’ve had many requests already for these. There’s a few already taken and the rest of them will go to auction, which Scott Wilson has kindly agreed to do once football gets underway this season. 

Sj,

It's a tremendous thing you have done.

I hope it raises thousands for FOH. 

I would love one myself, but it's a bit out of my price range.

I'm sure there will be room for another with both Alan Anderson and Henry Smith on it.

reaths17
On 25/06/2020 at 21:56, Sir Gio said:

Definitely a family resemblance in the Walker family 

yip, noticed that, very alike

Fxxx the SPFL
On ‎25‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 19:28, Saughton Jambo said:

it's really difficult in deciding who to put on any iconic print late sixties early seventies i had a good few heroes Ford, Busby, Cruickie etc but they were mine and in the big scheme of things never won a trophy and it's difficult not to see past the Walker's, terrible trio, Mackay, Young, Cumming, Barney Battles loads more and even further back there were those who represented Scotland and won honours. For all our younger fans it's the 1998, 2006 and 2012 cup winning team. A nightmare on who to put on a single print. It may be worthwhile having two prints only joking SJ you could have the old farts print with all players pre 1960's and the young upstarts print post 1960's lol. great work so far.

bungalow

I would be interested in one of these - hopefully Alex Young makes the cut.

A robust centre forward

Slightly of topic, but I went on one of the stadium tours about 18 months ago. Our guide mentioned there were plans to create a mural on the bare wall on the old block of flats next to the entrance to the plaza.
Anyone else heard anything on this subject ?
I remembered this and thought that something along the lines of this commission would be ideal if it satisfied all the legal requirements 

Saughton Jambo

Wardhaugh and Conn now added

84E389E5-D57A-47AF-B5A9-17CED6AA7895.jpeg

Andy Black

You can't have Davie MacKay without John Cumming. The greatest Hearts half back parthership in their history. They turned Hearts from 'fanct Dans' into winners.