Does anyone work for Sky Broadband?

Gershwin

Random question I know, but I find myself in a bit of a shit predicament. I need to find out if I can cancel a cancellation.

The story:

In February we decided to upgrade to BT Fibre Broadband and were given an installation date of April 2nd (this Thursday). As we were switching provider, we gave our notice with Sky so that contract ends next week.

However, BT just texted to tell us our installation was being moved until June 15th due to Covid, leaving us with the prospect of no broadband at home until then. Which isn't great as we both work jobs that require us to be online and on conference calls for much of the day.

Tried phoning Sky to cancel our cancellation but they're say they're not accepting calls or installation queries. So, in my panic, I thought I'd reach out here to see if anyone could help. 

The Mrs is also pregnant so the stress isn't good 😖

So you had Sky fibre before and the line is still active until next week? Is it fibre to the cabinet or to your door?

Don't see why Sky wouldn't want to keep you as a customer in that scenario, but likely means taking out a new contract with them. Have you tried the online chat option instead? Maybe try tweeting them too.

I just renewed with Sky because they offered me a better deal than what I was going to switch to the Post Office for, but maybe worth seeing if the Post Office can sort you out ASAP: https://www.postoffice.co.uk/broadband-phone

Sky doesn't do Fibre in our area hence why we were upgrading to BT. 

Sky might well still want us as customers, but if we can't get through, it's going to be a challenge!

Just now, Gershwin said:

We haven't found a way yet. 

Are you able to call and choose an option to leave, or to add packages? Either option should get you through to a person and both would be technically correct. The leave guy could help you stay or the extra package guy could re add your broadband.

It might also be the case that your broadband won't cut off until someone else takes it over.

Thanks for all the replies. 

The mrs managed to get the cancellation cancelled after a few hours of waiting on the phone. 

Drama Queen moment over. 

2 hours ago, Gershwin said:

Thanks for all the replies. 

The mrs managed to get the cancellation cancelled after a few hours of waiting on the phone. 

Drama Queen moment over. 

Out of curiosity did sky hold you to a new contract?

In all fairness to your Mrs it really isn't the time to be left with no broadband. My house would melt down without Netflix, sky on demand, and YouTube. 

21 hours ago, HMFC-1874 said:

Out of curiosity did sky hold you to a new contract?

No they didn't. Plus we went online instantly to pause Sky Sports so we could bring our future bills down.

I’m going to have to phone Virgin to get a cheaper deal at least until I come out of furlough as £80 a month seems a bit extravagant right now. Sadly Virgin have a great product but terrible customer relations. 

17 minutes ago, Gershwin said:

No they didn't. Plus we went online instantly to pause Sky Sports so we could bring our future bills down.

Heads up on that. I noticed that sports is paused for April, but my future payments, ie May is showing a small charge and June is showing as back to full. It could be an assumption that everything will restart be then revisit it. But I'll be keeping an eye on it. 

Edited by chubby1973

Why is it when your Sky broadband goes down and you call them for assistance, the recorded message when your’e on hold tells you to “go on-line” for tips on how to fix it?

:jjockio:

:seething:

On 31/03/2020 at 19:39, Gershwin said:

Sky doesn't do Fibre in our area hence why we were upgrading to BT. 

Sky might well still want us as customers, but if we can't get through, it's going to be a challenge!

If your changing to Bt then Sky must do fibre as it’s the same line that’s used

7 hours ago, stevie1874 said:

If your changing to Bt then Sky must do fibre as it’s the same line that’s used

Last year, a boy I know in Duff Street, Dalry, was told he could only get fibre from BT. Another provider told him fibre in his area was FTTP (Fibre To The Premises), where the fibre comes from a cable straight from the exchange to the house. At that time, providers, other than BT, could only provide fibre broadband through FTTC (Fibre To The Cabinet), where fibre cables had been run to the cabinets in the streets. 

Dean Winchester
10 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Why is it when your Sky broadband goes down and you call them for assistance, the recorded message when your’e on hold tells you to “go on-line” for tips on how to fix it?

:jjockio:

:seething:

Most people generally have an alternative form of internet (i.e. mobile). You can run a check on your line via the website and it'll attempt to fix some issues automatically.

Doesn't help everyone of course but it has fixed my connection a few times.

1 hour ago, Dean Winchester said:

Most people generally have an alternative form of internet (i.e. mobile). You can run a check on your line via the website and it'll attempt to fix some issues automatically.

Doesn't help everyone of course but it has fixed my connection a few times.

Far too sensible and you ruined my attempt at humour. Cheers!