Crystal Palace after Hickey

Blackie the Cat

NaturalOrder74

Anywhere but celtic is a positive even if we lose out on money (doubt we will as there’s so much more money down there) 

Why would we rush through a cheap transfer to them ?
We are strong enough to wait a bit and there are better teams than them interested which would probably appeal more to Hickey and pay us more. He doesn't want to stay so he can go but we gave him his chance so we get the best deal we can out of it.

1 minute ago, alanbauld said:

Why would we rush through a cheap transfer to them ?
We are strong enough to wait a bit and there are better teams than them interested which would probably appeal more to Hickey and pay us more. He doesn't want to stay so he can go but we gave him his chance so we get the best deal we can out of it.

This is true.

However he'd have a better chance of regular football with CP than say Man C to find his feet.  He can then get his big transfer in the same way as Andy Robertson did going to Liverpool via Hull.

So I wouldn't rule it out.

JamboAndrew

Cheapish transfer with sell on fee would do nicely.

By cheapish I mean English premier league cheap, not Scottish premier league cheap.

I'm a Palace season ticket holder and this story has been going around for some time. Palace need cover at full-back. We sold Wan-Bissaka to Man U at the start of this season and didn't replace him. But £50m for Wan Bissaka and £1m for Hickey? Shows the ridiculous nature of transfer fees in England and Scotland. I would question if he has the physicality at the moment for the EPL but presumably he will be one for the future. We bought Scott Banks from Dundee Utd in Jan and then loaned him out to Alloa - bit of a strange one. Anyway - hope the transfer happens and that Hearts get a good fee from it.

40 minutes ago, Longshanks said:

Could he not just reject the 50% pay reduction and then go on a free? 

Was about to say the same. They cant make exceptions. Our "fee" might be all the wages we have cut back on. Chance you take and the price of business

Hope he stays.

31 minutes ago, East Lothian Jambo said:

The lad really needs another year or possibly 2 with us 

Still very young 

Yup, not the first and certainly won't be the last. 

Shame really, 2 years could really see him kick on. Hope we get a fair fee for him so we can try and invest more in the academy.

East Lothian Jambo
Just now, OTT said:

Yup, not the first and certainly won't be the last. 

Shame really, 2 years could really see him kick on. Hope we get a fair fee for him so we can try and invest more in the academy.

I believe we have invested significantly in the Academy over last 6 years. I'm not convinced we've seen any meaningful return after what feels like a substantial period of time 

Hickey has played the most but he did so by making his debut less than a year after joining from Celtic.  Brandon the same after joining from Rangers 

The Academy has basically produced:

Cochrane 

Macdonald 

Henderson 

Moore 

Irving 

Not sure that's terribly great return if millions of pounds have been directed towards Academy 

1 minute ago, East Lothian Jambo said:

I believe we have invested significantly in the Academy over last 6 years. I'm not convinced we've seen any meaningful return after what feels like a substantial period of time 

Hickey has played the most but he did so by making his debut less than a year after joining from Celtic.  Brandon the same after joining from Rangers 

Cochrane 

Macdonald 

Henderson 

Moore 

Irving 

Not sure that's terribly great return if millions of pounds have been directed towards Academy 

Yeah, compared to Paterson, Nicholson, Carrick, King, Walker & Holt we've not really saw the same quality of returns. I know there is a fair degree of luck around youth development (e.g. player amazing up until pro then suddenly out of depth and shite). Considering how poor the quality of football is in Scotland coupled with the investment you point out makes me wonder about who is running the academy. Its a results driven business and the results aren't there. If anything it should be easier to break into the first team at Hearts compared to various clubs down south. It doesn't look like thats the case and begs the question why? We've made a big song and dance about youth development and not really produced anyone of note in 5 years. Thats certainly long enough IMO. 

I'm sure posters who are more familiar with the academy will be better placed to comment though. Certainly at a glance thats my view. 

ford donald
3 hours ago, David Bennett said:

I'm a Palace season ticket holder and this story has been going around for some time. Palace need cover at full-back. We sold Wan-Bissaka to Man U at the start of this season and didn't replace him. But £50m for Wan Bissaka and £1m for Hickey? Shows the ridiculous nature of transfer fees in England and Scotland. I would question if he has the physicality at the moment for the EPL but presumably he will be one for the future. We bought Scott Banks from Dundee Utd in Jan and then loaned him out to Alloa - bit of a strange one. Anyway - hope the transfer happens and that Hearts get a good fee from it.

Definately one for the future,he has all the attributes to make it at a high level,still one or two years needed.

2 hours ago, Longshanks said:

Could he not just reject the 50% pay reduction and then go on a free? 

He might not qualify for a pay cut because he's still on youth wages. 

3 hours ago, David Bennett said:

Like a young Paolo Maldini. Physically not quite there yet but he can cope with the nature of it up here so I don't think that's the main issue. The main is being, he's probably not quick enough to cope with the 100m sprinters that play in the wide areas of the EPL.

Famous 1874

Decent initial fee, add ons, sell on fee and a 1 year loan back. Palace are quite a small team but the lure of playing in the Prem for a London team would be too much. 

8 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

That is my understanding

Famous 1874
1 hour ago, East Lothian Jambo said:

Cochrane 

Macdonald 

Henderson 

Moore 

Irving 

Agreed. With the amount of investment we should definitely be producing higher quality players. The lack of physical players coming through is a worry, I.e a lack of size, pace and strength. Majority of them seem quite technical but don’t have the right balance (yes they can bulk up I know) but pace is a more natural attribute. 

Hickey is quality and I like Irving but apart from that I can’t see many from the current group of reserves making it longer term at the club, although Hickey will be gone soon so essentially only leaves Irving. Henderson and Moore won’t be good enough and there are question marks over Cochrane and McDonald. Young Stone in goals is a good prospect as is Connor Smith so hopefully those lads can kick on. 

45 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Like a young Paolo Maldini. Physically not quite there yet but he can cope with the nature of it up here so I don't think that's the main issue. The main is being, he's probably not quick enough to cope with the 100m sprinters that play in the wide areas of the EPL.

Interesting. The one player I thought would make it in the EPL was Callum Paterson and he did well with Cardiff in the one season they were in the top league. Agree with your point about Hickey's physique but Wan Bissaka isn't that big and he's coped well, though he is quick which picks up your other point.

Ronald Villiers
56 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Yes, I'm sure I read somewhere that he was on pretty low wages so wouldn't be expected to take a pay cut.

Palace might be a good bet for Aaron. I think Roy Hodgson (if he stays - he's getting on a bit) is a wise manager and would treat Hickey well. There wouldn't be a huge amount of pressure put on him and they seem to be a grounded club. As long as we get a good fee and decent sell-on, of course...

Pasquale for King

It would be a good move for him, good club with a good manager. He could learn his trade and get a big move, sell on fee is a must. It looks like he’s not signing a new deal so now is the time to cash in if possible.

East Lothian Jambo
1 hour ago, Famous 1874 said:

Agreed. With the amount of investment we should definitely be producing higher quality players. The lack of physical players coming through is a worry, I.e a lack of size, pace and strength. Majority of them seem quite technical but don’t have the right balance (yes they can bulk up I know) but pace is a more natural attribute. 

Hickey is quality and I like Irving but apart from that I can’t see many from the current group of reserves making it longer term at the club, although Hickey will be gone soon so essentially only leaves Irving. Henderson and Moore won’t be good enough and there are question marks over Cochrane and McDonald. Young Stone in goals is a good prospect as is Connor Smith so hopefully those lads can kick on. 

If the Academy was producing there could be a case for cutting Levein some slack. Quite incredibly the Academy hasn't produc

Palace are the kind of club that Hickey should absolutely be looking to move to.

More chance of being involved whilst actively being developed, rather than just being one of the youths.

It would be a great move for him.

Prince Buaben

Think it would be the best move for Hickey. More chance of game time. Although if we got him back for a year first would be happier. 

Mark Wotte said that instead of going down to sit in clubs academies play 100 games first.

Celtic have an abundance of left backs. Christ they paid £3m for Scotland no 3 left back and he can barely get a run of games. 

Also think folk might be a little harsh on the academy. It was decimated after previous regime.  The potential was the first team. Some of which might never have broke through. We have rebuild. Some exciting prospects. More will come through.

6 hours ago, Prince Buaben said:

Think it would be the best move for Hickey. More chance of game time. Although if we got him back for a year first would be happier. 

Mark Wotte said that instead of going down to sit in clubs academies play 100 games first.

Celtic have an abundance of left backs. Christ they paid £3m for Scotland no 3 left back and he can barely get a run of games. 

Also think folk might be a little harsh on the academy. It was decimated after previous regime.  The potential was the first team. Some of which might never have broke through. We have rebuild. Some exciting prospects. More will come through.

Its been 5 years man. 

Its long enough to have had something come through. Cochrane has faded, Irving is looking decent so far though but honestly, when we're sitting bottom of the league its hard to gauge how good he really is. 

I think a rework of the football department is necessary, Levein put these guys in and the results aren't there. Fair to say if nothing else a review is necessary to investigate if there are failings or not. 

9 hours ago, Cruyff said:

He isn’t. He is on about double the basic  youth wage 

Guest ToqueJambo

All things considered, we should take 1m or whatever, and maybe try to get him back on loan. That kind of money right now could make a huge difference to us.

40 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

He isn’t. He is on about double the basic  youth wage 

What is the basic youth wage?

Edited by Cruyff

9 hours ago, Cruyff said:

What is the basic youth wage?

What would you expect? Same as most other businesses, legal minimum based on age. 

13 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

What would you expect? Same as most other businesses, legal minimum based on age. 

No because we're a living wage employer

Had a look on Palace chat forum last night and they had a thread on Hickey. Main comments were:

- Looks a good prospect;

- Stand-out player for Hearts in Cup Final;

- Hearts in desperate need of cash just now (clearly they are looking at some of the media headlines);

- Worth paying £1m as cover for full-back positions; and

- Worth paying more (£3-4m) if other EPL clubs are in for him.

Let's hope this has legs in that, if he does leave Hearts, he goes to Palace.

55 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

No because we're a living wage employer

Does national living wage apply to u25’s?  Didn’t think it did. 

7 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Does national living wage apply to u25’s?  Didn’t think it did. 

Depends how a company wants to do it. My old work was living wage and it was everyone. Min hourly in the company was £9.50 or whatever it was, whether you were part time waitress or full time chef etc.

Not sure about Hearts tbf

Nookie Bear

I would rather we made him an excellent offer to sign a new contract and hopefully tie himto the club for another 3 years.

33 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I would rather we made him an excellent offer to sign a new contract and hopefully tie himto the club for another 3 years.

I think its worth trying. A deal which puts him on a par with the first team is a gamble worth taking IMO. Will up his value massively.  

Its a risk, but its that or be lucky to try and nab £1m for him this summer. 

He's still got loads to learn and reserve team football isn't 'real' football. Another year or two here will be massive for his development. If he goes down south (or west) he's going into the reserves or on loan. 

Edited by OTT

2 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Does Aaron know how to play Warhammer?

Warhammer lesson with Roy and then a lovely meal for 2 at the Slaughterhouse. I would be tempted. 

Stick a contract down in front of him to put him on par with the first team. Balls in his court and if he then decides he wants to stay, brilliant. If not then if we can get them to pay enough that we bank 7 figures after Celtic get their cut & get a good sell on clause in his contract then we’ll be doing good business for a 17 year old anyway.

Oh and if one of the OF want him the fee is doubled.

Nookie Bear
1 hour ago, boag1874 said:

Stick a contract down in front of him to put him on par with the first team. Balls in his court and if he then decides he wants to stay, brilliant. If not then if we can get them to pay enough that we bank 7 figures after Celtic get their cut & get a good sell on clause in his contract then we’ll be doing good business for a 17 year old anyway.

Oh and if one of the OF want him the fee is doubled.

Agreed, although I would make him one of our top 5 earners as well. You have to pay for quality. 

2 hours ago, Jodami said:

Warhammer lesson with Roy and then a lovely meal for 2 at the Slaughterhouse. I would be tempted. 

And a carcass for my St Bernard.

I don't think it will matter what clubs come along and offer him, I just get the feeling him and his auld man are holding out for a move back to Celtic. Hoping that he signs a new deal with us but just can't see it (especially if we go down).

Broke into our team at 16 as has been one of the best and most consistent performers since. 

He doesn't need another year or two at Hearts ffs. If we used that kind of thinking we'd have still never heard of him. 

Pasquale for King
On 01/04/2020 at 14:48, Tokyo Drifter said:

In that picture Hickey's 5 looks worryingly like an upside down 2

A 5 upside down looks like an S not a 2 ya daftie 😜