The Corona Guitar thread.

Greedy Jambo

Greedy Jambo

This is my go to when i pick up an acoustic, to be fair. 

You're music's shite, it keeps me up all night, up all night. 

Highly skilled me. 

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Greedy Jambo

• One five

• superjack

• Tazio

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 16/07/2022 at 20:38, Greedy Jambo said:

I've dragged the acoustic guitar out of the loft and put a new set of strings on it. 

D'Addario Phosphor Bronze 0.12 - 0.53 light gauge. 

Sounds so much better, highly recommend. 

I use D’ddario XL 9-42 for my electric, excellent guitar strings👍I’m thinking of changing my strings on the acoustic will give the ones you mentioned a try👍

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in a bit of a quandary. I'm really enjoying my playing now, more than I ever thought I would so I want to treat myself to a really nice guitar.

Seen a cracking gretsch, similar to malcolm youngs. But on the other hand, I'd like to keep the cash to try and see an away euro game this season for the first time ever.

The other option is to claim the wife's life insurance, all I need is a canoe.

Greedy Jambo

Get the Guitar, You'll have it for years and only have to change the strings at about 6 quid a pop. 

Robbie Neilson in Europe isn't going to last very long. 

1 minute ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Get the Guitar, You'll have it for years and only have to change the strings at about 6 quid a pop. 

Robbie Neilson in Europe isn't going to last very long. 

The wife is saying the exact same thing, apart from the Robbie nielson part.

Greedy Jambo
6 minutes ago, superjack said:

The wife is saying the exact same thing, apart from the Robbie nielson part.

Is she? I could be wrong then. 

10 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Is she? I could be wrong then. 

I know how you feel, when my wife agrees with me I usually start to doubt my original answer.

1 minute ago, superjack said:

To aid other peoples opinions, here is the exact guitar.

Screenshot_20220806-094107_Chrome.jpg

Love those. For the full Malcolm you need to rip out the neck pick up. 😄

AC Mallin_51

Hi guys hope yous don’t see this as spam but as a fellow jambo and guitar/music enthusiast I hope you don’t mind. I’ve recently been working on some new material, the first of any kind that I’ve done for 5 years. I was in a band for a while took a break and now I’ve decided to give it another crack. If you’re into indie/alternative, Joy Division meets Kasabian type vibe then maybe you’ll like it. If you do a like on my Facebook page and a follow on Spotify would be much appreciated ❤️🇱🇻🎸 

https://open.spotify.com/artist/4bRQLB3zslJJTjQ20qaicC?si=W_bZL68vT9inAoyNaJQKrQ

59 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Love those. For the full Malcolm you need to rip out the neck pick up. 😄

I seen the malcolm young signature guitar, but would need a decent win on the lottery as it was 3.5K.

Dick Dastardly
1 hour ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

Hi guys hope yous don’t see this as spam but as a fellow jambo and guitar/music enthusiast I hope you don’t mind. I’ve recently been working on some new material, the first of any kind that I’ve done for 5 years. I was in a band for a while took a break and now I’ve decided to give it another crack. If you’re into indie/alternative, Joy Division meets Kasabian type vibe then maybe you’ll like it. If you do a like on my Facebook page and a follow on Spotify would be much appreciated ❤️🇱🇻🎸 

https://open.spotify.com/artist/4bRQLB3zslJJTjQ20qaicC?si=W_bZL68vT9inAoyNaJQKrQ

I've listened to Breezy and i like it. I don't pay for Spotify so it's not letting me listen to Where Did Time Go?! on my phone just now. I'll check it out later when I'm on my tablet. 

The Joy Division/Kasabian description is spot on. 

Dick Dastardly
1 hour ago, superjack said:

To aid other peoples opinions, here is the exact guitar.

Screenshot_20220806-094107_Chrome.jpg

That is a beautiful looking guitar

AC Mallin_51
7 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I've listened to Breezy and i like it. I don't pay for Spotify so it's not letting me listen to Where Did Time Go?! on my phone just now. I'll check it out later when I'm on my tablet. 

The Joy Division/Kasabian description is spot on. 

Thanks mate that really is much appreciated ❤️

Dick Dastardly
1 minute ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

Thanks mate that really is much appreciated ❤️

It was missing a few FTH lines at the end, mind you... 😉 😂 😂 

AC Mallin_51
8 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

It was missing a few FTH lines at the end, mind you... 😉 😂 😂 

I’ll take that on board for future material 😂

2 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Something I just made up, a bit rusty like, but you get the drift. 

Guitar.m4a 693.72 kB · 11 downloads

Sounds really good bud. What you were playing at the start, I wish I had the patience to learn stuff like that. Give me some hard rock or metal and I'm fine, anything else, asuch as I want to learn, my patience disappears out the window.

Greedy Jambo
18 hours ago, superjack said:

Sounds really good bud. What you were playing at the start, I wish I had the patience to learn stuff like that. Give me some hard rock or metal and I'm fine, anything else, asuch as I want to learn, my patience disappears out the window.

Cheers,

The start is actually quite simple, it's just open C and Am and use your pinky to hammer on and off the bottom string, then it's just the F bar chord, i find that easier to play than open F. 

20 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Cheers,

The start is actually quite simple, it's just open C and Am and use your pinky to hammer on and off the bottom string, then it's just the F bar chord, i find that easier to play than open F. 

I'm the same with the F as well. Same as a B.

Dick Dastardly
21 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Cheers,

I'm the same with the F as well. Same as a B.

I struggle with barre chords so much. I gave up trying for years, which i regret, but I've been persevering for the last few weeks and I'm almost there. 

The biggest problem I have just now must be something to do with my left hand position as I'm bending the strings as I'm playing chords. They sound absolutely awful! 

27 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I struggle with barre chords so much. I gave up trying for years, which i regret, but I've been persevering for the last few weeks and I'm almost there. 

The biggest problem I have just now must be something to do with my left hand position as I'm bending the strings as I'm playing chords. They sound absolutely awful! 

A lot of people try too hard with barre chords and throttle the neck. Try putting less pressure on them. 

Edited by Tazio

Dick Dastardly
1 minute ago, Tazio said:

A lot of people try too hard with barre chords and throttle the neck. Try putting less pressure on them. 

It's not just barre chords its happening with now, though. It seems to be happening with every chord. On the plus side, my voice matches up now. 

Greedy Jambo
Just now, Dick Dastardly said:

It's not just barre chords its happening with now, though. It seems to be happening with every chord. On the plus side, my voice matches up now. 

Are you using a nylon string guitar? 

Dick Dastardly
3 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Are you using a nylon string guitar? 

Nope. I am going to try a thicker set of strings on when i get the chance, hopefully that could help

49 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

When I first started playing in the 80s, I basically gave up trying to learn them. Then, when I was doing the Duke of Edinburgh award through the cadets, I chose guitar for 1 of my 4 parts. 1 of our instructors was an excellent guitar player and it was him teaching the guitar. Within half an hour I was doing them with no bother. As someone else said, don't press too hard. For A shaped barre chords, I am lucky as when I broke my pinkie when I was 13, the last knuckle bends 90 degrees the qwong way now, meaning I could hit the d,g and b strings while completely missing the top e with my pinkie. I'm not suggesting breaking your pinkie obviously, but it does help.😉

Dick Dastardly

When I first started playing in the 80s, I basically gave up trying to learn them. Then, when I was doing the Duke of Edinburgh award through the cadets, I chose guitar for 1 of my 4 parts. 1 of our instructors was an excellent guitar player and it was him teaching the guitar. Within half an hour I was doing them with no bother. As someone else said, don't press too hard. For A shaped barre chords, I am lucky as when I broke my pinkie when I was 13, the last knuckle bends 90 degrees the qwong way now, meaning I could hit the d,g and b strings while completely missing the top e with my pinkie. I'm not suggesting breaking your pinkie obviously, but it does help.😉

Yeah, the A shaped ones are taking two fingers to do, at the moment (3 including the barre) and i can get the Am and E shaped ones bit the changes take too long, just now. Its just practice thats needed. I really wish I'd put the effort in ages ago instead of taking the easy option! 

Greedy Jambo
11 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Yeah, the A shaped ones are taking two fingers to do, at the moment (3 including the barre) and i can get the Am and E shaped ones bit the changes take too long, just now. Its just practice thats needed. I really wish I'd put the effort in ages ago instead of taking the easy option! 

You could try one of these to strengthen your hand. 

https://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/bodymax-power-hand-grip-10-40kg

Dick Dastardly
13 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

You could try one of these to strengthen your hand. 

https://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/bodymax-power-hand-grip-10-40kg

I've got something like this, somewhere. I don't think its really a strength issue now, its more muscle memory and technique. 

I've been playing Em and Am with the fingers used if i was barring to try and break that urge to use those fingers when i go to that shape, if you get my drift

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Maybe keep stretching your pinkie back at the top knuckle to see of you cam eventually loosen it enough to only need that 1 finger (plus the barre finger). 

Dick Dastardly
7 minutes ago, superjack said:

Maybe keep stretching your pinkie back at the top knuckle to see of you cam eventually loosen it enough to only need that 1 finger (plus the barre finger). 

I think it's just too girly and small. 

Dick Dastardly
1 hour ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Angus Young has small hands. 

Stop rubbishing my excuses for being crap 😂😂😂

Greedy Jambo
3 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Stop rubbishing my excuses for being crap 😂😂😂

I've been using it as an excuse for years, mate 😂

There's no way i'm going to be able to stretch across the fret board like the greats, and it annoys me haha. 

Dick Dastardly
2 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

There's no way i'm going to be able to stretch across the fret board like the greats, and it annoys me haha. 

Get the razor in between the finger joints like Slash! 😂 😂 

Greedy Jambo
2 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Get the razor in between the finger joints like Slash! 😂 😂 

I've had a look at his hands, they're massive, he also stopped going to school and just played guitar every day. 

School is overrated!

Dick Dastardly
18 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

I've had a look at his hands, they're massive, he also stopped going to school and just played guitar every day. 

School is overrated

Sometimes hand size is over rated too.... 😉 

Dick Dastardly
6 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

The boy from the darkness seems to know what he's talking about, or does he? 

He might know what he is talking about but he is struggling to get the message from his brain to his mouth. 

1 hour ago, Greedy Jambo said:

I'm the same with tiny hands, makes me look good when having a piss though!

I've always maintained that's why I struggle on an acoustic as the neck is usually wider.

Anybody on here have any experience of using a noise gate pedal to quieten down background noise from your signal?

I’m learning to play metal and you get a lot of background noise from cranking the distortion right up and I’ve been doing a wee bit of research and this kinda thing might be a possible solution.

I’m really just looking to find out how well noise gate pedals work for this issue and if anyone here has any recommendations if they use one? I’m thinking of purchasing the MXR Smartgate 

Dick Dastardly
58 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

My latest addition to the household. 

896530DD-BF81-4D8E-9927-70624B28C4D5.jpeg

Ooft! I bet that wasn't cheap?!  Looks amazing though. 

P. S. Your shed needs a couple of coats of maroon over it.... 

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Ooft! I bet that wasn't cheap?!  Looks amazing though. 

P. S. Your shed needs a couple of coats of maroon over it.... 

🤣

On 17/08/2022 at 15:04, davemclaren said:

My latest addition to the household. 

896530DD-BF81-4D8E-9927-70624B28C4D5.jpeg

Nice Dave, I’ve a studio LP awesome used to play my strat more but the LP is my go to now 👍