The Corona Guitar thread.

Greedy Jambo

6 minutes ago, Tazio said:

The white players from the early days often get written out of the story as well. A lot of rock and roll came from bluegrass and hillbilly music that came directly from Scottish and Irish music. Yes there’s blues but guys like Scotty Moore and Carl Perkins were country boys and played a very different style. 

It's often said that Rock'n' roll is American music. But yes , you are absolutely right, the music left Scotland and Ireland during the times of the clearances and famine and arrived in the "new world" mainly in the north. At the same time slaves from Africa were arriving, mostly in the south. As people moved around the music became intertwined, country music met Black dance and spiritual music and eventually, we had Rock'n'roll. 

Here's an interesting one. The French/Canadian province of Acadie, mainly in Nova Scotia, partly in the North Eastern area of what's now USA had a unique sounding music consisting of French fiddle and accordian sounds and some Irish and Shetland fiddle influences. The people gradually drifted south to settle in the US Appalachian mountain region, where the music thrived and became known as Acadian or better (A)cajun music. The music we know nowadays comes from all over, We in Scotland had as big apart in rock n roll as any American. 

And yes I love Scotty, Carl Perkins and don't forget Jimmy Burton too.👍

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Greedy Jambo

• One five

• superjack

• Tazio

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, whodanny said:

And yes I love Scotty, Carl Perkins and don't forget Jimmy Burton too.👍

And not forgetting Cliff Gallup who is worshipped by a lot of guitarists of a certain vintage. His playing with Gene Vincent is fantastic. 

7 minutes ago, Tazio said:

And not forgetting Cliff Gallup who is worshipped by a lot of guitarists of a certain vintage. His playing with Gene Vincent is fantastic. 

In the UK we had a couple of early pioneers, the great Joe Brown, who played with Johnny Cash when he was in the UK, and also on the brilliant "Sound Of Fury" album by Billy Fury. There was also Mick Green, fromm Johnny Kidd and the Pirates a band that massively influenced The Who and Wilko Johnson from Dr Feelgood. It just goes on and on. 

I could talk all night but I have to get my head down, out with the family tomorrow. 

G'Night all Jambo Guitar players.

• 4 months later...

Is there any tech heads that know how to solve amp problems in here ?, I’ve a 3 channel Marshall tube amp and the O/D lead is not working but the clean and O/D 1 crunch is perfect, I’ve replaced all the tubes one by one to see if any where defective but no joy, anyone any ideas of what else could be the problem or anyone know of a good tech and I could get them to have a look at it , cheers 

On 17/12/2021 at 20:25, One five said:

Is there any tech heads that know how to solve amp problems in here ?, I’ve a 3 channel Marshall tube amp and the O/D lead is not working but the clean and O/D 1 crunch is perfect, I’ve replaced all the tubes one by one to see if any where defective but no joy, anyone any ideas of what else could be the problem or anyone know of a good tech and I could get them to have a look at it , cheers 

best take it to a tech. there's a guy who sorted a dsl50 for me some years back for just £50 near tollcross. Axe Management is the name. 

A couple of months ago I thought I was going to sell my guitar, thankfully a mate talked me round.

Thought I would learn something different last night so tried some t-rex. Considering how good most of their songs sound, their music is extremely easy to learn. In 15 minutes, had 20th century boy and get it on nailed. Now looking to expand the type of tunes I play. 

Also, think I'll treat myself to a semi decent guitar in the new year as it was just a cheap thing I bought.

1 hour ago, superjack said:

A couple of months ago I thought I was going to sell my guitar, thankfully a mate talked me round.

Thought I would learn something different last night so tried some t-rex. Considering how good most of their songs sound, their music is extremely easy to learn. In 15 minutes, had 20th century boy and get it on nailed. Now looking to expand the type of tunes I play. 

Also, think I'll treat myself to a semi decent guitar in the new year as it was just a cheap thing I bought.

I bought myself a Squier Telecaster for about £200 or so from Guitar Guitar. You won’t go wrong with a Squier for semi decent.

7 hours ago, JackLadd said:

best take it to a tech. there's a guy who sorted a dsl50 for me some years back for just £50 near tollcross. Axe Management is the name. 

Cheers bud I’ll google them and get his number after the year 👍

All roads lead to Gorgie

I have an American Strat which is now over 20 years old, it has quite a bit of fret wear which makes bar cords sound a bit off. Is it worth getting it re fretted and does anyone know the likely cost. 

2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I bought myself a Squier Telecaster for about £200 or so from Guitar Guitar. You won’t go wrong with a Squier for semi decent.

I'll check that site out later. Probably want something like an SG or similar. I quite like ibanez guitars as well. As long as the action is as low as possible without any fret buzz.

On my current axe, I've lowered it as much as I can and filed the frets a touch. However, it is just a cheap thing and I knew what I was buying, just wanted to see if I would play enough to justify getting a decent one first.

27 minutes ago, superjack said:

I'll check that site out later. Probably want something like an SG or similar. I quite like ibanez guitars as well. As long as the action is as low as possible without any fret buzz.

On my current axe, I've lowered it as much as I can and filed the frets a touch. However, it is just a cheap thing and I knew what I was buying, just wanted to see if I would play enough to justify getting a decent one first.

I was in guitar guitar yesterday picking up a pedal and had a play with an SG great action mate think it was just under £1500, 

1 hour ago, One five said:

I was in guitar guitar yesterday picking up a pedal and had a play with an SG great action mate think it was just under £1500, 

About 1200 more than I hope to pay! I'll wait until next time I'm in Edinburgh and go check them out.

1 hour ago, superjack said:

About 1200 more than I hope to pay! I'll wait until next time I'm in Edinburgh and go check them out.

Yeah Gibson ! they are a expensive but with a good amp and a possible effect pedal a guitar for £300 can sound awesome mate  👍 

14 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

I’ve had a couple of bad buys on the internet with guitars, looked good and described as a good axe but I’ve found they where not for me , an electric guitar is a personal thing in my opinion although the pups, wood etc are top quality in the more expensive it’s how it feels for me is the important part as the hardware can be added to improve the sound .   

I prefer to try them first.

Only Imo obviously though mate.

Edited by One five

I’ve had a couple of bad buys on the internet with guitars, looked good and described as a good axe but I’ve found they where not for me , an electric guitar is a personal thing in my opinion although the pups, wood etc are top quality in the more expensive it’s how it feels for me is the important part as the hardware can be added to improve the sound .   

I prefer to try them first.

Only Imo obviously though mate.

I don't mind ordering online at that price point. 

You don't get much for £200 in the likes of Guitar Guitar and you best be prepared to re-mortgage the house. 

7 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

You don't get much for £200 in the likes of Guitar Guitar and you best be prepared to re-mortgage the house. 

I’ve only read good things about the Harley Benton guitars. They do a really nice looking PRS copy. I deal with Thomann who sell them a lot and the delivery and customer service is first class. 

7 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

That’s what I was trying to say there’s sometimes no need to buy expensive there are lots of good guitars out there without busting the bank but I prefer to try first.

You can send the guitar back if you don't like it, they're fine with it. 

Although i've heard of people taking the piss and ordering quite a few at once and only keeping the one. 

9 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

You can send the guitar back if you don't like it, they're fine with it. 

Although i've heard of people taking the piss and ordering quite a few at once and only keeping the one. 

Yeah I suppose but I’m a fussy git tho🙄.

32 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I’ve only read good things about the Harley Benton guitars. They do a really nice looking PRS copy. I deal with Thomann who sell them a lot and the delivery and customer service is first class. 

Without name dropping 😁😁 I am in regular contact with ex Nazareth guitarist and all round good guy Manny Charlton. He  raves about Harley Benton guitars. He has bought a few and then gets them set up professionally and he cannot fault them.

20 minutes ago, micole said:

Without name dropping 😁😁 I am in regular contact with ex Nazareth guitarist and all round good guy Manny Charlton. He  raves about Harley Benton guitars. He has bought a few and then gets them set up professionally and he cannot fault them.

I’ve never seen these around are they only on line or do you know of any shops local that sells these guitars mate?  

3 minutes ago, One five said:

I’ve never seen these around are they only on line or do you know of any shops local that sells these guitars mate?  

They’re only sold through the Thomann website as it’s their in house brand. 

Just now, Tazio said:

They’re only sold through the Thomann website as it’s their in house brand. 

Ah ok mate cheers, I must say they look good and a great price.

Just now, One five said:

Ah ok mate cheers, I must say they look good and a great price.

You see them pop up a fair bit now on Gumtree and Facebook marketplace. Someone was selling a PRS type one a couple of days ago and it seemed to sell pretty quickly. Which is good for me as I really shouldn’t be looking at buying guitars at this time of year. 

8 minutes ago, Tazio said:

You see them pop up a fair bit now on Gumtree and Facebook marketplace. Someone was selling a PRS type one a couple of days ago and it seemed to sell pretty quickly. Which is good for me as I really shouldn’t be looking at buying guitars at this time of year. 

I know where your coming from mate

I just love buying guitars,amps and pedals it’s an addiction 🤦‍♂️

5 minutes ago, One five said:

I know where your coming from mate

I just love buying guitars,amps and pedals it’s an addiction 🤦‍♂️

It certainly is an addiction. 

I put one of my guitars on gumtree for a grand, the guy came round, i had an amp ready for him to try it out etc, he didn't even bother. 

Handed me a grand in £20 notes and left. 😂

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

Just had a look on their website, looks good. Guitars in my price range and they all have really good reviews. Let's see how much cash santa gives me.

10 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

It certainly is an addiction. 

I put one of my guitars on gumtree for a grand, the guy came round, i had an amp ready for him to try it out etc, he didn't even bother. 

Handed me a grand in £20 notes and left. 😂

It was pedals big time with me , when I first got playing in a band just for fun I was buying them on eBay in a ridicules  frenzy most of them where pure shit 😂

Not guitars as such but I’m watching a documentary on SkyArts just now about the making of Dark Side Of The Moon. The tone and control David Gilmour has is mind boggling. No fancy super fast solos but the ability to play that hugely overdriven tone at high volume with perfect clarity and subtlety is astonishing. 

4 minutes ago, One five said:

I was almost there 🙄😂

F764E0F6-C094-466C-BF70-78CD28E6DFD9.jpeg

I've never really got into pedals. 

I mind getting one free with Total guitar magazine, i put the wrong ac adapter into it and fried it before even knowing what it sounded like.

8 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

I've never really got into pedals. 

I mind getting one free with Total guitar magazine, i put the wrong ac adapter into it and fried it before even knowing what it sounded like.

Don’t go near them mate once your in that hole there’s no way out 🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, One five said:

Don’t go near them mate once your in that hole there’s no way out 🤷‍♂️

Yah, i'd just prefer to have the perfect guitar and the perfect amp, but that's yet to happen!

15 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Not guitars as such but I’m watching a documentary on SkyArts just now about the making of Dark Side Of The Moon. The tone and control David Gilmour has is mind boggling. No fancy super fast solos but the ability to play that hugely overdriven tone at high volume with perfect clarity and subtlety is astonishing. 

Fantastic album 👍Dave gilmour was a big inspiration to me, tried everything to sound like him … still trying 👍

1 minute ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Yah, i'd just prefer to have the perfect guitar and the perfect amp, but that's yet to happen!

I’m still trying as well mate 🙄I really fancy a EVH 5150 amp but Jesus they are fecking expensive.I couldn’t justify spending that sort of cash.

I’m still trying as well mate 🙄I really fancy a EVH 5150 amp but Jesus they are fecking expensive.I couldn’t justify spending that sort of cash.

I bought an amp, second hand, a few months ago. A spider 6 line (I think). Comes with 16 changeable channels and all effects on the amp, with a foot pedal for changing to your pre-programmed settings. I read up on it and it has great reviews for the effects and overall sound quality. I was o ly looking g for a decent practice amp, but once I seen this I had to buy it. Problem was, I never thought of checking the size. Turned out it wasn't a small practice amp but 1 you would use for small gigs, too big for what I was after. It's up for sale now.

On the other hand, it is quite impressive.

5 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

10348727_10152485942236150_3812511220018950023_o.jpg

The only thing that picture needs is maroon tiles above the range. That's the size of amp I was after though.

42 minutes ago, superjack said:

I bought an amp, second hand, a few months ago. A spider 6 line (I think). Comes with 16 changeable channels and all effects on the amp, with a foot pedal for changing to your pre-programmed settings. I read up on it and it has great reviews for the effects and overall sound quality. I was o ly looking g for a decent practice amp, but once I seen this I had to buy it. Problem was, I never thought of checking the size. Turned out it wasn't a small practice amp but 1 you would use for small gigs, too big for what I was after. It's up for sale now.

On the other hand, it is quite impressive.

I’ve got a line spider bogner valve head for sale on on Gumtree just now lol great amps but this is a 100w its to loud for me it’s a pure beast. I’ve got to many amps so I’m selling a few as well.

Just been having a good look at the Thomann website, I think I know where I'm buying from now. 

I have 1 question though, what is the shape of guitar I should should my favourite guitar player was always Angus Young, so I've always fancied an SG. However, it may not be suited to what I like to play.

I play a mix of metal and rock, oasis being my favourite band to play along with, as well as plenty of other music that is similar. Would a hollow body guitar sound better for this or a solid body 1? I do love to switch between a soft and heavy distorted sound.

53 minutes ago, superjack said:

Just been having a good look at the Thomann website, I think I know where I'm buying from now. 

I have 1 question though, what is the shape of guitar I should should my favourite guitar player was always Angus Young, so I've always fancied an SG. However, it may not be suited to what I like to play.

I play a mix of metal and rock, oasis being my favourite band to play along with, as well as plenty of other music that is similar. Would a hollow body guitar sound better for this or a solid body 1? I do love to switch between a soft and heavy distorted sound.

If you like to play along with Oasis any guitar with twin humbuckers will fit the bill as Noel Gallagher always had Les Pauls or 335 type guitars when I’ve seen footage of them. And humbuckers suit metal as well. Avoid anything Fender style with single coil pickups. 

11 minutes ago, Tazio said:

If you like to play along with Oasis any guitar with twin humbuckers will fit the bill as Noel Gallagher always had Les Pauls or 335 type guitars when I’ve seen footage of them. And humbuckers suit metal as well. Avoid anything Fender style with single coil pickups. 

Thanks for that. There's something about how cool a fender looks though, even though I know it isn't the type for me.

N Lincs Jambo
On 08/07/2021 at 00:23, davemclaren said:

I use a Boss Katana amp now. I still have a Marshall DSL40C but It’s too heavy to cart around at my age. 🙁

How do you find the Boss Katana Dave? I picked up a second hand Katana 100 Mk 1 for £160 in February off FB marketplace. It’s my go to amp now. 0.5W setting for home practice, 50W for rehearsals and small gigs and 100W if required for larger ones. With all the various tones, effects and patches it’s the most versatile amp I’ve ever had.

Just now, N Lincs Jambo said:

How do you find the Boss Katana Dave? I picked up a second hand Katana 100 Mk 1 for £160 in February off FB marketplace. It’s my go to amp now. 0.5W setting for home practice, 50W for rehearsals and small gigs and 100W if required for larger ones. With all the various tones, effects and patches it’s the most versatile amp I’ve ever had.

Love it. I don’t use many effects so the GA-FC pedal is perfect for my needs. Thinking of getting a Katana Artist at some point as the Wazza Speaker is meant to give them an amazing sound. Never needed to use the 100w option yet. 

N Lincs Jambo
Just now, davemclaren said:

Love it. I don’t use many effects so the GA-FC pedal is perfect for my needs. Thinking of getting a Katana Artist at some point as the Wazza Speaker is meant to give them an amazing sound. Never needed to use the 100w option yet. 

Not seen the Katana Artist. I’ll need to check it out.