The Corona Guitar thread.

Greedy Jambo

7 hours ago, davemclaren said:

I use a Boss Katana amp now. I still have a Marshall DSL40C but It’s too heavy to cart around at my age. 🙁

That’s what I use a DSL 401 limited  addition great sounding am👍,I also have a Marshall TSL 100 combo it’s a heavy sod-but the lead channel is f****d .

yeah Ive read about the katana it gets along with  Marshall code and the line 6 spider it gets great reviews,keep rockin Dave 🤟

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Greedy Jambo

• One five

• superjack

• Tazio

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Greedy Jambo

I'd love a tube amp, never had one. 

I've got a Blackstar ID core 40. 

Stereo sound n all that jazz. 

Edited by Greedy Jambo

On 10/07/2021 at 19:06, Greedy Jambo said:

I'd love a tube amp, never had one. 

I've got a Blackstar ID core 40. 

Stereo sound n all that jazz. 

If you fancy a tube amp this is a great little sounding amp for the house but obviously needs a small cab but has a headphones socket to keep the wife happy tho , true valve sound brilliant for rock, 

CEBF2F3E-4E4C-49EB-B997-DC36530F7651.jpeg

Greedy Jambo
2 hours ago, One five said:

If you fancy a tube amp this is a great little sounding amp for the house but obviously needs a small cab but has a headphones socket to keep the wife happy tho, true valve sound brilliant for rock, 

CEBF2F3E-4E4C-49EB-B997-DC36530F7651.jpeg

Cheers, I'll check it out.

• 2 weeks later...

When I decided to get a guitar again, I just bought something cheap, with a very cheap, tinny sounding 5w practice amp. My thinking was, let's see if I can get back into playing before buying anything half decent. 

Bought a decent amp today second hand, a Line 6 spider 40w.

Loved the look of it, with the different effects built in and 4 foot pedals and a wah wah pedal that come with it. Now I'm rocking!

28 minutes ago, superjack said:

When I decided to get a guitar again, I just bought something cheap, with a very cheap, tinny sounding 5w practice amp. My thinking was, let's see if I can get back into playing before buying anything half decent. 

Bought a decent amp today second hand, a Line 6 spider 40w.

Loved the look of it, with the different effects built in and 4 foot pedals and a wah wah pedal that come with it. Now I'm rocking!

Great amps mate , they also do the Bogner spider valve that is an actual valve amp with all the great digital effect that line 6 are famous for, brilliant sounding amps from crystal clean to insane overdrive great choice 👍

Greedy Jambo

I've had guitars from 90 quid to 2 grand. 

Is it worth paying extra? Aye, if you have the money

Do you need all the bells and whistles? no. 

I had a really lovely Gibson Les Paul Standard, but the guitar i miss the most is the bog standard 1 pickup 2 knobs Gibson Les Paul Junior. 

Yeah I play an American Fender strat and Gibson les Paul studio but tbh I played a westone thunder years ago that was an absolute dream to play, there are  brilliant guitars out there that don’t carry a big name on the headstock .

Greedy Jambo

Yeah, true. 

I've got a Finlayson acoustic that sounded better than the big names i picked up at the time. 

He was the luthier for guitar guitar. 

It cost about £360 at the time. 

Some cheaper guitar brands that where made in the 70’80 where as good if not better than some new guitars that the big ones are producing today , I had an old columbus I think it was called les Paul style it was my first ever guitar I so wish I still had it .

Greedy Jambo

I dunno, are you sure it's not just a nostalgia thing. 

I know they used different wood back then, but was it really "better" wood?

This convo could go on for years, ha. 

Maybe it is tbh I’m just going on what I remember, I was in guitar guitar just before the first lockdown and tried a Gibson SG I honestly thought it was shit to play compared to a Yamaha SG my mate has. Maybe it’s just me though 

Edited by One five

20 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Convo.  :vrface:

Get a grip, Spaceman.

Greedy Jambo
9 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Convo.  :vrface:

Get a grip, Spaceman.

You ok?

No need to be following be about, especially to here, you don't even play the guitar. 

40 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

This is my set up , still can’t sound like Slash 😂

F5EB261A-72D6-4316-82D7-1025E11BDF8F.jpeg

Greedy Jambo
4 minutes ago, One five said:

This is my set up , still can’t sound like Slash 😂

F5EB261A-72D6-4316-82D7-1025E11BDF8F.jpeg

Nice, is that a studio?

I had an artic white one (2nd hand) with gold hardware, ebony fret board (before it was banned) 

It played like shit though, decided to just get rid. 

A pro set up would have probably done the trick. 

A good source of decent cheaper guitars is if you can find Fender Squiers of a certain vintage that were made in Korea. They play really well and even the pickups are good. It’s rumoured the factory got a bit of a slap on the wrist from Fender for making them too well. I’ve got one of the Telecasters but I’ve modded it with a Gibson humbucker in the neck position. You can get some great sounds out of it. 

15 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Nice, is that a studio?

I had an artic white one (2nd hand) with gold hardware, ebony fret board (before it was banned) 

It played like shit though, decided to just get rid. 

A pro set up would have probably done the trick. 

Yeah it’s an anniversary studio, it plays really well I swapped it with a Fender I had. 

Greedy Jambo

Yeah, also heard that the older japanese copies of gibsons were really good as well. 

Can't remember the names, been away from the guitar obsession for a few years. 

16 minutes ago, Tazio said:

A good source of decent cheaper guitars is if you can find Fender Squiers of a certain vintage that were made in Korea. They play really well and even the pickups are good. It’s rumoured the factory got a bit of a slap on the wrist from Fender for making them too well. I’ve got one of the Telecasters but I’ve modded it with a Gibson humbucker in the neck position. You can get some great sounds out of it. 

Yeah I read once some guitars that where made in Japan and Korea in the 80’s where very good.

Greedy Jambo

Was going to post photos of the guitars i've had but most of them are on old media. 

The one i was going to post, i just get a JKB error. 

13 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Yeah, also heard that the older japanese copies of gibsons were really good as well. 

Can't remember the names, been away from the guitar obsession for a few years. 

Obsession! Yeah I think we all have had it😂I remember going to different guitar shops whenever possible and also sitting for hours looking on eBay for effect pedals and amps ! oh I bought some shit lol, I wish I had put more time into playing the damn thing 🤷‍♂️

Greedy Jambo
1 minute ago, One five said:

Obsession! Yeah I think we all have had it😂I remember going to different guitar shops whenever possible and also sitting for hours looking on eBay for effect pedals and amps ! oh I bought some shit lol, I wish I had put more time into playing the damn thing 🤷‍♂️

I think i know more about guitars than i know about playing them!

The obsession is real, some guy came round and paid a grand for one of mine without even playing it. 

I had the amp all set up for him, but he wasn't even arsed. 

4 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

I think i know more about guitars than i know about playing them!

The obsession is real, some guy came round and paid a grand for one of mine without even playing it. 

I had the amp all set up for him, but he wasn't even arsed. 

Ha I think we’re all the same mate but hey it’s good when you hit that power chord when the amps cranked up.., delicious 👍

Greedy Jambo
1 minute ago, One five said:

Ha I think we’re all the same mate but hey it’s good when you hit that power chord when the amps cranked up.., delicious 👍

Aye. Just need folk to jam with i think. Otherwise you just play the same shit over and over again. 

When I was still playing in the 90s, I had a hohner arbor? I think that was the model. Anyway, it was a dream to play, the action couldn't have got any lower, no fret buzz at all. Sounded amazing, especially when thinking out the power chords playing metallica. Now I've got a nice amp, I'll be on the look out for a semi decent guitar. Not bothered who made it or what name is on it though, and I wont be paying too much either. Will buy second hand, just need to keep an eye out.

2 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Aye. Just need folk to jam with i think. Otherwise you just play the same shit over and over again. 

Very true get yourself involved in a band again, it’s amazing how different it is to playing along with a backing track so much more energy.

2 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Just text my mate the now. 

He'll be sleeping, but **** it. 

Ha you’ll get the bug back again  😂

davemclaren

Recently swapped a Martin acoustic I had for a mate’s Adabas ( Ovation ) guitar. The Adabas looks and plays great though keeping it from sliding off your lap needs a bit of practice. 

Just bought a capo for the first time, been playing some Irish Jigs in DADGAD with the capo on 2nd fret, lovely tuning that. 

17 hours ago, One five said:

Hey Morgan, 

how are you my friend?

I’m just fine, 1 5.  👍

I popped on here last night for a wee blether with my soul mate, but found him to be a wee bitty edgy.

How’s you?

hmfc_liam06
20 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

I've had guitars from 90 quid to 2 grand. 

Is it worth paying extra? Aye, if you have the money

Do you need all the bells and whistles? no. 

I had a really lovely Gibson Les Paul Standard, but the guitar i miss the most is the bog standard 1 pickup 2 knobs Gibson Les Paul Junior. 

I bought a Squier and I don't even plug it in. Tunes are on while I work and if a song I want to play comes on I just pick up the guitar, knock out the tune then get back to work :lol:

It's a great little excuse for a break from the screen.

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

I’m just fine, 1 5.  👍

I popped on here last night for a wee blether with my soul mate, but found him to be a wee bitty edgy.

How’s you?

I’m feeling great tonight my good friend, we had a game of golf on a sunny afternoon at deer park in Livingston,  my mate and I humped the other two ex players from our old football team ,Hearts win tomorrow will be the  perfect weekend🕺

Greedy Jambo

Ended up down at my mates until 5am messing about on guitars. 

Gid fun, bit worse for wear like. 

Can’t play a guitar except in my inner self! Currently watching Sky Arts where Chuck Berry is the focus plus all the Greats that gained their inspiration from, Jimmy Hendrix, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Eric Clapton and well you name it He was the Man who laid the path to the absolutely fantastic guitar music we have pulsing through our veins today. 

9 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

Can’t play a guitar except in my inner self! Currently watching Sky Arts where Chuck Berry is the focus plus all the Greats that gained their inspiration from, Jimmy Hendrix, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Eric Clapton and well you name it He was the Man who laid the path to the absolutely fantastic guitar music we have pulsing through our veins today. 

Nah, Charlie Patton then the likes of Robert Johnson were the first real inspirations. They laid the path for Rock n Rollers like Chuck Berry. 

Greedy Jambo

I watched an interview with John Fogerty the other day, he was talking about when he went to visit Robert Johnson's grave. 

You have to visit the towns post office to get directions to it from some old boy, it's beside a tree somewhere. 

Apparently he didn't own any of his songs. 

Edited by Greedy Jambo

42 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Ended up down at my mates until 5am messing about on guitars. 

Gid fun, bit worse for wear like. 

👍can’t beat it mate 

13 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Nah, Charlie Patton then the likes of Robert Johnson were the first real inspirations. They laid the path for Rock n Rollers like Chuck Berry. 

I suppose it’s a time line going way back, inspiration is in the DNA of great musicians. It’s a learned gift that some people express physically through emotion and ability and others like myself can only appreciate in awe of the greats. 

Greedy Jambo
10 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

I suppose it’s a time line going way back, inspiration is in the DNA of great musicians. It’s a learned gift that some people express physically through emotion and ability and others like myself can only appreciate in awe of the greats. 

It's never to late to play a few chords mate. Get yourself an acoustic and a few lessons. 

1 hour ago, One five said:

I’m feeling great tonight my good friend, we had a game of golf on a sunny afternoon at deer park in Livingston,  my mate and I humped the other two ex players from our old football team ,Hearts win tomorrow will be the  perfect weekend🕺

Great stuff, sir. 👍

Hearts will win 1 or 2 zero tomorrow.

8 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

It's never to late to play a few chords mate. Get yourself an acoustic and a few lessons. 

I had a guitar years ago but never progressed it unlike my boys,  one of which can play guitar, banjo, ukulele and drums not to mention sing all of which totally surprised me. I can/could play the coronette which I learned at school (many years ago) and played in a few brass bands over the years. Guitar however has me beat! 

57 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Absolutely, but you missed the link. From acoustic blues players like Patton and Johnson the music moved onto dance oriented swing/blues almost like big band jazz. Then, with the electric guitar, came the likes of T Bone Walker and Elmore James, paving the way for more "commercial", story telling, songwriters, (and brilliant guitar players) like Chuck.

3 minutes ago, whodanny said:

Absolutely, but you missed the link. From acoustic blues players like Patton and Johnson the music moved onto dance oriented swing/blues almost like big band jazz. Then, with the electric guitar, came the likes of T Bone Walker and Elmore James, paving the way for more "commercial", story telling, songwriters, (and brilliant guitar players) like Chuck.

Spot on. Was about to put that tbh. But aye, in my mind you can path it out like a family tree. 👍

Greedy Jambo
13 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

I had a guitar years ago but never progressed it unlike my boys,  one of which can play guitar, banjo, ukulele and drums not to mention sing all of which totally surprised me. I can/could play the coronette which I learned at school (many years ago) and played in a few brass bands over the years. Guitar however has me beat! 

My grandad was regarded as one of the finest cornet soloists on the radio in the 50's and 60's, apparently. 

I never heard him play. 

Just now, Cruyff said:

Spot on. Was about to put that tbh. But aye, in my mind you can path it out like a family tree. 👍

One really interesting, and enjoyable thing I do sometimes, is to make a link, (by playing the music) from Johnson, or maybe Memphis Minnie and Kansas Joe, Blind Willie or whoever and see where it leads me. The obvious things are The Stones, or Cream, or Hendrix but then you can get to Van Halen, White Stripes, Black Crowes. Even players like Johnny Marr, you can find direct links in their playing. Johnny loved Rory Gallagher, so did Brian May. It's not immediately obvious in their playing, but it's there. Jeez, had a few drams tonight, but this is the kind of thing I could talk all night about, and bore people, in the pub, for Scotland. It's endlessly fascinating.

25 minutes ago, whodanny said:

The white players from the early days often get written out of the story as well. A lot of rock and roll came from bluegrass and hillbilly music that came directly from Scottish and Irish music. Yes there’s blues but guys like Scotty Moore and Carl Perkins were country boys and played a very different style.