The Corona Guitar thread.

Greedy Jambo

Greedy Jambo

Nice easy song to learn and get people in the mood. 

If yer no stuck with an acoustic like me that is, ha. 

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Greedy Jambo

• One five

• superjack

• Tazio

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Blowing the dust of the fret board tuning it up and uncorking that bottle of Jack D that has been waiting for this moment...

Wife has shouted through the bedroom for me to Shut The F Up but in her defence I am tone deaf.

Take care.

Unknown user
On 30/03/2020 at 21:15, Space Pirate said:

It's looking like we're both stuck with acoustics then.

No pain no gain!

I've been told by my work that i won't be getting paid again for another 5 weeks (usually paid weekly)

So even a wee budget electric guitar is out the windae. 

I've been learning slayer songs on acoustic recently but not had much spare time. Just been told to stay away from work after getting symptoms so looks like I'll finally be polishing war Ensemble and angel of death. Not Raining blood though, I just don't have the left hand for the spider riff

Unknown user
10 minutes ago, Janbo1874 said:

Blowing the dust of the fret board tuning it up and uncorking that bottle of Jack D that has been waiting for this moment...

Wife has shouted through the bedroom for me to Shut The F Up but in her defence I am tone deaf.

Take care.

If the Mrs didn't roar at you to STFU how would you know you're doing it right?

Greedy Jambo
11 minutes ago, Janbo1874 said:

Take care.

Ha. 

Sounds like she's making more noise than you are!

1 hour ago, Space Pirate said:

I hope you've all played your guitar today, even you @Cruyff with yer 1 working pickup. 

Nah, not played that guitar for about 10 years :laugh2:

Tempted to go and rake it out but it's away at the back of a cupboard and I can't be ersed moving all the shit. 

Greedy Jambo
5 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I've been learning slayer songs on acoustic recently but not had much spare time. Just been told to stay away from work after getting symptoms so looks like I'll finally be polishing war Ensemble and angel of death. Not Raining blood though, I just don't have the left hand for the spider riff

Good man. 

I'm starting to think about plugging the acoustic into the amp and turning the distortion up. 

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

Good man. 

I'm starting to think about plugging the acoustic into the amp and turning the distortion up. 

make-it-so-captain-102843.jpg

Greedy Jambo
3 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Nah, not played that guitar for about 10 years :laugh2:

Tempted to go and rake it out but it's away at the back of a cupboard and I can't be ersed moving all the shit. 

Got better things to do like? 

😂

Greedy Jambo
1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

Many things. 

Mate you've got a legit american Tele sitting in yer cupboard!

If i was flush i'd be offering you cash for it right now. 

Greedy Jambo

It's looking like lockdown will be for another few weeks? Is it? I didn't even watch the news. Who needs to.

So i'm starting to write down songs with easy riffs to learn.

Greedy Jambo
15 hours ago, Spitonastranger said:

Could someone post a good starter video for acoustic thanks

Try 3 months of fender play for free. 

You get to choose the style of music you want to learn. 

https://try.fender.com/play/playthrough/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20200409_PlayThrough_1M&utm_term=fender&src=email15DT040920pt&smtrctid=a4d9b7d9-0b65-4d43-9f11-e59cf76395e4&c3ch=email&c3nid=20200409_PlayThrough_1M

Edited by Space Pirate

Spitonastranger

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Space Pirate said:

How's the guitar playing going? 

No Stairway to heaven i hope. 

Assphincter says what?

hmfc_liam06

Been playing my new Tele daily, enjoying it. Learning some basic 3/4 chord songs.

Always struggle getting to F or B though 👎

I downloaded Chords and tabs app sometime ago, think it was about £3, loads of songs with chords you can even change the key, great app.

7 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Been playing my new Tele daily, enjoying it. Learning some basic 3/4 chord songs.

Learn CAGED mate and the pentatonic scale. Then the major scale and you'll be able to play a million things very quickly. 👍 

Check this guy

out. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM7inNEZgbA3_ZPp2D6IAlw

Greedy Jambo
9 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Do you play them open or as a bar chord? I find bar chording them easier but you still need the strength in your hand to play them cleanly. 

hmfc_liam06
2 hours ago, Space Pirate said:

Do you play them open or as a bar chord? I find bar chording them easier but you still need the strength in your hand to play them cleanly. 

Bar. Just doesn't feel natural as the others. Plus I'm muting a strong or 2 as well by not getting all the strings fully down on the index finger.

Greedy Jambo
16 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Bar. Just doesn't feel natural as the others. Plus I'm muting a strong or 2 as well by not getting all the strings fully down on the index finger.

Aye, it takes constant playing to built up the strength in your hand. At least your committed. I've literally played my guitar twice in the last 2 weeks. Ha. 

Edited by Space Pirate

51 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

It sounds counterintuitive but when I was first learning I was trying to hard with barre chords then I learnt to relax and stop squeezing the shit out the neck. Also depending what your playing you don’t have to hold it tight against the fretboard if you are playing funky or choppy rhythms. 

• 7 months later...

Got my son an acoustic guitar starter kit as part of his Christmas. I'm hoping that it will finally spur me into action and learn as well especially during lockdown 2.0! Both guitars tuned and time to learn a chord

42 minutes ago, Statts1976uk said:

Got my son an acoustic guitar starter kit as part of his Christmas. I'm hoping that it will finally spur me into action and learn as well especially during lockdown 2.0! Both guitars tuned and time to learn a chord

Well done mate, no better time to learn. 

This thread inspired me to do just that, and the song I'm determined to learn is Hysteria by Def Leppard and Mutt Lange. 

There's essentially just three parts I need to master and I'm past half way.  For a song that sounds so simple, the more you get into the progressions the more you appreciate the technical ability of the band and the genius of Mutt Lange. At one point, there's nine (9) layers of guitar working its way through the ballad. Phil Collen breaks it down with just one here. 

Any guitarists on JKB that can share easy to understand guitar tab with me, would be appreciated. 

What a tune, thanks for this thread. 

10 hours ago, Deodato said:

This thread inspired me to do just that, and the song I'm determined to learn is Hysteria by Def Leppard and Mutt Lange. 

There's essentially just three parts I need to master and I'm past half way.  For a song that sounds so simple, the more you get into the progressions the more you appreciate the technical ability of the band and the genius of Mutt Lange. At one point, there's nine (9) layers of guitar working its way through the ballad. Phil Collen breaks it down with just one here. 

Any guitarists on JKB that can share easy to understand guitar tab with me, would be appreciated. 

What a tune, thanks for this thread. 

I'm no expert but basic tab i can do. There's plenty of websites that give you tab for most songs, and youtube will help you out. 

If you come to a dead end, give us a shout. 

11 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

At least music shops have done a roaring trade this last 9 months.

We need more people picking up the guitar, a lot of the music these days is dreadful. 

I'm into all sorts, but even the dj's have given up, just hitting buttons now. 

Edited by Greedy Jambo

1 hour ago, Greedy Jambo said:

We need more people picking up the guitar, a lot of the music these days is dreadful. 

I'm into all sorts, but even the dj's have given up, just hitting buttons now. 

No shortage of them on you tube making some nice coin, especially any cute girl that do a passable cover. 

9 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

I'm no expert but basic tab i can do. There's plenty of websites that give you tab for most songs, and youtube will help you out. 

If you come to a dead end, give us a shout. 

Greedy J - thanks for the note. I bought a Def Leppard tab book but its way too complicated for me, I need basics. Any links you got to simple to follow guitar tab appreciated. I've got the basics down for the three components, but the ending of each (example - the chords just before the chorus)  is where I'm stuck. Hit me on PM if better. 

13 hours ago, Deodato said:

Greedy J - thanks for the note. I bought a Def Leppard tab book but its way too complicated for me, I need basics. Any links you got to simple to follow guitar tab appreciated. I've got the basics down for the three components, but the ending of each (example - the chords just before the chorus)  is where I'm stuck. Hit me on PM if better. 

Try this

https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab/def-leppard/hysteria-chords-1052725

You'll find that most Tab books are complicated as ****, they usually include all the other parts to the song as well, piano parts the lot. 

Edited by Greedy Jambo

13 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Try this

https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab/def-leppard/hysteria-chords-1052725

You'll find that most Tab books are complicated as ****, they usually include all the other parts to the song as well, piano parts the lot. 

Phenomenal resource, so easy and self-explanatory. Appreciation. 

I want to start recording guitar onto my laptop.  I've looked at audio interfaces but can only find ones in my price range with mic sockets on them.  I can't find one that takes I can put a guitar lead directly into.  Is there a lead that I can buy that goes from the guitar to a mic socket?   I've looked a couple of tutorials but can't see how they what they connect the guitar with. 

2 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

I want to start recording guitar onto my laptop.  I've looked at audio interfaces but can only find ones in my price range with mic sockets on them.  I can't find one that takes I can put a guitar lead directly into.  Is there a lead that I can buy that goes from the guitar to a mic socket?   I've looked a couple of tutorials but can't see how they what they connect the guitar with. 

What is your price range? Most either have a separate input for Jack or an XLR/Jack combination input. 

41 minutes ago, Tazio said:

What is your price range? Most either have a separate input for Jack or an XLR/Jack combination input. 

I'm looking at a basic £150/200 tops.  I've looked at makes like focusrite and behringer but can only see ones with the mic jack.  I thought maybe I could've gotten a lead that goes from guitar to mic Jack but can't see them.  

2 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

I'm looking at a basic £150/200 tops.  I've looked at makes like focusrite and behringer but can only see ones with the mic jack.  I thought maybe I could've gotten a lead that goes from guitar to mic Jack but can't see them.  

They do indeed have the combination inputs that look like mic inputs but actually have the Jack input hidden in the centre. 
That’s quite a hefty budget you’ve set. For less than half that you can get interfaces from good companies like Presonus or M Audio. I’m not a fan of M Audio but they personal bias. 
Several good options here.   https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/recording/audio-interfaces/?Ordering=3&MinPrice=&MaxPrice=

8 minutes ago, Tazio said:

They do indeed have the combination inputs that look like mic inputs but actually have the Jack input hidden in the centre. 
That’s quite a hefty budget you’ve set. For less than half that you can get interfaces from good companies like Presonus or M Audio. I’m not a fan of M Audio but they personal bias. 
Several good options here.   https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/recording/audio-interfaces/?Ordering=3&MinPrice=&MaxPrice=

I see what you mean now regarding the inputs.   I think I'll get one for my needs for about £100. That'll let me get software etc.   

Last wee janet and john type question.  

If I'm not using a peddle, do I just plug the guitar into the interface or does it have to go through my amp with and without an effects pedal? 

1 minute ago, Auldbenches said:

I see what you mean now regarding the inputs.   I think I'll get one for my needs for about £100. That'll let me get software etc.   

If I'm not using a peddle, do I just plug the guitar into the interface or does it have to go through my amp with and without an effects pedal? 

Straight into the interface. Keep the sound as clean as possible. Then depending on the software you should have effects options on that as well if you want to fine tune the sound. 

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

Straight into the interface. Keep the sound as clean as possible. Then depending on the software you should have effects options on that as well if you want to fine tune the sound. 

I'll get onto looking and buying equipment today.  Thanks for that.  Been dying to get started in the house.   

4 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

I’ve had a snoop around on sites I’ve bought from and Focusrite seems to be the most popular just now. If it’s just the one guitar they do a Scarlett that comes with a great software bundle for about £100