The Corona Guitar thread.

Greedy Jambo

Greedy Jambo

If yer bored oot yer nut and you've got a guitar rotting away up the loft, get it oot and get a new set of string on it. 

We're here for the long run. 

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Greedy Jambo

• One five

• superjack

• Tazio

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Annoyingly I’ve got an electric that needs some time spent on it and some repairs to the wiring and most of my tools including my soldering kit is in my work. 

Greedy Jambo

It's looking like we're both stuck with acoustics then.

No pain no gain!

I've been told by my work that i won't be getting paid again for another 5 weeks (usually paid weekly)

So even a wee budget electric guitar is out the windae. 

Edited by Space Pirate

I’ve still got my telecaster ready for duty. It’s an Epiphone Les Paul Jr that I need to work on. It’s been sitting in a case for ages needing me to start on it and I’ve been lazy about it. Now I’ve got the time but not the means. 

Greedy Jambo
5 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I’ve still got my telecaster ready for duty. It’s an Epiphone Les Paul Jr that I need to work on. It’s been sitting in a case for ages needing me to start on it and I’ve been lazy about it. Now I’ve got the time but not the means. 

Christ, i'm gonna come across as a dick again, but i can't help but be honest. I would never buy another epiphone, they do feel well made but every single one i've had has been so difficult to play. Maybe they just can't be arsed setting them up right. 

davemclaren
Just now, Space Pirate said:

Christ, i'm gonna come across as a dick again, but i can't help but be honest. I would never buy another epiphone, they do feel well made but every single one i've had has been so difficult to play. Maybe they just can't be arsed setting them up right. 

Get it set up by a luthier. 

Greedy Jambo
3 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Get it set up by a luthier. 

I expect it to be set up when i buy it. 

That's one thing you can't fault PRS over. 

Edited by Space Pirate

3 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

That is exactly why it’s been sitting in a case as it arrived new playing like an absolute dog. High action, frets that stick out beyond the fretboard sides, dreadful soldering. But it was the only way I could afford a Jr. I’ve put a P90 replica in it to get the proper sound but need to get it soldered up properly, lighter string than the factory cheesewires and work on making the action usable. 

Greedy Jambo
15 minutes ago, Tazio said:

That is exactly why it’s been sitting in a case as it arrived new playing like an absolute dog. High action, frets that stick out beyond the fretboard sides, dreadful soldering. But it was the only way I could afford a Jr. I’ve put a P90 replica in it to get the proper sound but need to get it soldered up properly, lighter string than the factory cheesewires )and work on making the action usable. 

I've had pro plus top or plus top pro (whatever it as called)  les paul , a les paul special. I even bought a fancy emporer swingster from one of their better factories and it still played like a dog.

See that myth about not needing a gibson... it's bullshit. They are so much easier to play. if you've got the money, buy one. 

Edited by Space Pirate

Greedy Jambo
8 minutes ago, kila said:

Been playing my Epiphone Les Paul a lot more lately. Still love to pretend I'm Slash.

You will be slash by the time the lock down is over, if you stay on this thread. 

Greedy Jambo

One of the first songs that made me want to pick up a guitar. Edit, one of the first songs i learned. 

Edited by Space Pirate

18 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

You will be slash by the time the lock down is over, if you stay on this thread. 

I've pretty much got his guitar tone nailed from Appetite For Destruction. Wah-wah pedal at just the right position - sounds the best when used for Sweet Child O' Mine. Best guitar riff ever imo, a touch of gated reverb and it's heaven.

Greedy Jambo
2 minutes ago, kila said:

I've pretty much got his guitar tone nailed from Appetite For Destruction. Wah-wah pedal at just the right position - sounds the best when used for Sweet Child O' Mine. Best guitar riff ever imo, a touch of gated reverb and it's heaven.

Oaft, I was a youngster when appetite for destruction came out,  i remember taking my gran to hmv in princes street and getting her to buy me it on cassette along with the latest viz magazine. Those where there days. What an album. We will never get another great GnR's album now that they're all sober. 

3 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

Oaft, I was a youngster when appetite for destruction came out,  i remember taking my gran to hmv in princes street and getting her to buy me it on cassette along with the latest viz magazine. Those where there days. What an album. We will never get another great GnR's album now that they're all sober. 

They need to get back on it

nighttrainnthunderbird.png.1a0be8aca1e0312c796dfc114a3ac8e3.png

Greedy Jambo
2 minutes ago, kila said:

They need to get back on it

nighttrainnthunderbird.png.1a0be8aca1e0312c796dfc114a3ac8e3.png

loaded like freight train. flying like an airplane, feeling like a space brain one more time tonight!

davemclaren
1 hour ago, Space Pirate said:

I expect it to be set up when i buy it. 

That's one thing you can't fault PRS over. 

A guitar set up is a very personal thing. You might hate how I like my guitars set up. Not often set up how I like out the factory. 

Greedy Jambo
3 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

A guitar set up is a very personal thing. You might hate how I like my guitars set up. Not often set up how I like out the factory. 

Fair point Dave but you're still very very boring. 

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by Space Pirate

Greedy Jambo
2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Ridiculous guitar solo. In a good way. 

I'll be pumping that out just as soon as i get paid. 🤣

Didn’t realise it was a live version until I clicked the link. The intro is fairly ridiculous as well. Even if he did steal parts of it from Paganini’s violin music. 

Greedy Jambo
21 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Ridiculous guitar solo. In a good way. 

Love them stopping each other playing. 😂

Greedy Jambo
6 minutes ago, Tazio said:

So how the hell do you make an acoustic 12 string sound apocalyptic? 
Easy. If you’re Leo Kottke. 

I'll be honest. If i didn't live on my own, i'd be kicked oot the hoose for playing that. 

Edited by Space Pirate

I P Knightley
12 hours ago, Space Pirate said:

I like songs where you don't have to be a good singer to cover. Dire Straits; Leonard Cohen; Tom Waits; Bob Dylan for a few. I never learnt to play all the lead licks, though. I'm strictly rhythm, don't want to make it cry or sing :D

Angry Haggis

Been revisiting the Doors and the Beatles recently when learning some licks/chords.

Very satisfying. Love me Two times was getting jangled out last night. 

Ive got a 2006, 60th anniversary Reissue American Fender Tele in its case, gathering dust at the back of a cupboard somewhere.

Think I've still got a wee amp and a pedal board with a TU-2 Boss Tuner, Boss Reverb, Electric Harmonics Delay, a Dinosaur Chorus, Big Muff Fuzz,  Overdrive/Distortion and a Classic Dunlop Cry Baby Wah Wah pedal. Grands and grands worth of shit lying about. 

It hasn't seen the light of day for about 12 years. I'm sure it had a wiring issue in one of the pickups and I meant to get it sorted but I never got round to it. 

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

Ive got a 2006, 60th anniversary Reissue American Fender Tele in its case, gathering dust at the back of a cupboard somewhere.

Think I've still got a wee amp and a pedal board with a TU-2 Boss Tuner, Boss Reverb, Electric Harmonics Delay, a Dinosaur Chorus, Big Muff Fuzz,  Overdrive/Distortion and a Classic Dunlop Cry Baby Wah Wah pedal. Grands and grands worth of shit lying about. 

It hasn't seen the light of day for about 12 years. I'm sure it had a wiring issue in one of the pickups and I meant to get it sorted but I never got round to it. 

We'll all have big muff fuzz at the end of lockdown

340?cb=20200321200403