• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LeftBack

• The Real Maroonblood

• Marvin

• letsalldothebeattie

been here before
9 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

Yip. but still good to see it on the tv...

Its only on Youtube of Facebook.

Fort Vallance

Better than 2012 for me because I'd resigned myself to never see us win a trophy. Since spoken to Willie Young and Ally McCoist. Young absolutely convinced the free kick was correct decision. Super Ally not so sure.

The Real Maroonblood
25 minutes ago, Marvin said:

That was the best weekend supporting Hearts, even better than the 5-1 game.

👍

East Lothian Jambo

Infinitely better than 2012 for me. Never be rivalled 

That challenge from Davie Weir in 94th minute is simply phenomenal 

51 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Same for me. Nothing will match 1998!

Just now, Nookie Bear said:

Has Willie Young blown the final whistle yet?

:sob:

Has he feck. We'd still be playing if he had his way. Blatant cheating in hope his beloved oldco get an equaliser. 

portobellojambo1
4 hours ago, maroonlegions said:

Yip. but still good to see it on the tv...

I don't think it is actually on TV, or a TV channel as such although you should be able to watch it on your TV through either YouTube or Facebook (think Facebook is the other option). There may be a subscription fee as well.

portobellojambo1
20 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

For those of us of a certain vintage it will probably remain the greatest ever weekend of football. 

Absolutely, a league win would possibly eclipse it. The victories against Gretna and Hibs were good days out, good weekends, but neither came close to that weekend in May 1998.

Hectormasson
3 hours ago, Marvin said:

It was a truly beautiful day, seeing hearts win the scottish cup, and in the sun in weegie land ,  beating  the rangers "   revenge for the 1996 defeat .....

This was a stunning and beautiful day for anyone who is of a certain vintage!

Parents and grandparents ramming it down our necks how good the 50's were.  Wasn't here. Never witnessed any of it. 

Followed the Hearts home and away from 70's and saw a good few cup finals (starting in '76) and like others on here thought that we would never win one.

Got the feeling it was our turn at last, in League Cup Final until that wee shite Gazza cheated and changed the game!

Then 98 came along.  Farewell to Super Ally and Brilliant Walter.  The game that was supposed to be the great send off for the retiring weegies!

Bagio, Cameron and Adam and a fantastic all round Jambos performance meant that the Teddy Bears were not to have their day. Wee shame!!

After waiting for almost an hour of 'added time' (that's what it felt like), carnage and unbridled emotion erupted throughout the Parkhead sunshine.

I have never felt anything like that day in my time as a Jambo. 

Some things come close, like walloping the Hobo 5-1 in 2012, but 98, it won't be beaten!😀

Some Hibs fans are frustrated, bamboozled and inquisitive as to why their battering is not the main one out the 3. 

The fact that they try and dismiss it due to their win in 2016 is slightly contradictory. 

GIRUY 

1998 😎

Was 98 better as the game was so close? 2012 was won by the 50th min so when the final whistle went there wasn't that relief? Unfortunately was too young to fully understand the meaning of 98 at the time.

Nothing comes close to 98.   Just a beautiful day and celebrations were unreal. To beat that Rangers team was some achievement. Legends

Skippy Doodle

I watch this video and find it hard to pick a favourite but honestly seeing the reaction of my dad in 1998 wins it for me

Always gives me butterflies when I see footage , snapshots or think about 98.  So much aligned that weekend , even the weather!

But the back story to it all doesn’t need told if you are of a particular generation. The Nearly Men tag finally banished.

What a time.  🇱🇻🍺🏆

9 hours ago, Marvin said:

Has he feck. We'd still be playing if he had his way. Blatant cheating in hope his beloved oldco get an equaliser. 

Harsh on the ref as we got a penalty that was a yard outside the box and they got a free kick rather than a penalty for a borderline call when chasing the game. Although I was almost exactly level with it and I'm adamant the foul was inches outside. All added to the fun and tension of the best weekend of my life. 

4 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Always gives me butterflies when I see footage , snapshots or think about 98.  So much aligned that weekend , even the weather!

But the back story to it all doesn’t need told if you are of a particular generation. The Nearly Men tag finally banished.

What a time.  🇱🇻🍺🏆

After so many near  misses, I was beginning to think I would never see us win it. I ended up at a celtic fan's party in Craigshill at 3.30 in the morning (dont ask). What made it all the more sweeter Edinburgh was basked in glorious sunshine all weekend. 

1 minute ago, Marvin said:

After so many near  misses, I was beginning to think I would never see us win it. I ended up at a celtic fan's party in Craigshill at 3.30 in the morning (dont ask). What made it all the more sweeter Edinburgh was basked in glorious sunshine all weekend. 

👍🏻

TyphoonJambo

98 was brilliant. Unlnown to us my brother and i had tickets for the rangers end. Thought we'd  just blag it and keep our heads down. That was blown out the water quickly. If you see the footage you might see 2 idiots getting dragged over the fence to safety. We were covered in gob and mince pies but couldnt bring ourselves to not give it to them large as we ran for our lifes😊😊

The steward manager told his guys to chuck us out but his guys, all being celtic fans, dropped us of in the Hearts end. Only place we could find was down with the wheelchairs and handicapped. We took it in turns being patient/carer when stewards came past. At the final as we danced about mental, a steward who we knew was suspicious looked down at us, called his mate over and ssid to his mate "**** me a miracle, 10 minutes ago neither of those 2 could even stand up" 

Also remember you could even get into rose Street bars with colours on. 

Anyone remember a bar outside Parkhead, opposite an "Irish folk" type club

The pub gad a chicken wire temp partition between us and the huns. It was mental inside. 

Tremendous day out. 

3 hours ago, Mr 3 Putt said:

Was 98 better as the game was so close? 2012 was won by the 50th min so when the final whistle went there wasn't that relief? Unfortunately was too young to fully understand the meaning of 98 at the time.

There were Hearts fans that had followed their team for decades, from the mid 60s, through the 70s, 80s and into the 90s and never seen a trophy being won.

So I think that’s why ‘98 was the best, because it’s very unlikely that any Hearts fan aged 45 or under (on that day) had ever seen Hearts win a trophy!

3 hours ago, Skippy Doodle said:

I watch this video and find it hard to pick a favourite but honestly seeing the reaction of my dad in 1998 wins it for me

It hit my Dad hard because we just lost mum to cancer a couple of weeks before that glorious day. My mum used to drive dad and my brothers every week to games (I worked most weekends) and she was there through all the ups and downs in the 80's and 90's. It was just so heartbreaking that she wasn't around for that special day :cry_smile:

30 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

There were Hearts fans that had followed their team for decades, from the mid 60s, through the 70s, 80s and into the 90s and never seen a trophy being won.

So I think that’s why ‘98 was the best, because it’s very unlikely that any Hearts fan aged 45 or under (on that day) had ever seen Hearts win a trophy!

This for me. 

10 hours ago, a11ank said:

This was a stunning and beautiful day for anyone who is of a certain vintage!

Parents and grandparents ramming it down our necks how good the 50's were.  Wasn't here. Never witnessed any of it. 

Followed the Hearts home and away from 70's and saw a good few cup finals (starting in '76) and like others on here thought that we would never win one.

Got the feeling it was our turn at last, in League Cup Final until that wee shite Gazza cheated and changed the game!

Then 98 came along.  Farewell to Super Ally and Brilliant Walter.  The game that was supposed to be the great send off for the retiring weegies!

Bagio, Cameron and Adam and a fantastic all round Jambos performance meant that the Teddy Bears were not to have their day. Wee shame!!

After waiting for almost an hour of 'added time' (that's what it felt like), carnage and unbridled emotion erupted throughout the Parkhead sunshine.

I have never felt anything like that day in my time as a Jambo. 

Some things come close, like walloping the Hobo 5-1 in 2012, but 98, it won't be beaten!😀

Best supporting day of my life. Hasn't been even nearly equalled including 2012. Just pure raw emotions laid out in the sun that beautiful day.

Men in their 70's with tears rolling down their faces, Gorgie when the bus came back after the game, the entire city on the Sunday for the open top bus parade. Amazing.

2012 was brilliant but that was a GIRFUY to our rivals, 98 was something entirely different after such a long time of not winning the cup, always the bridesmaids etc.

Really looking forward to Sunday. I will be having a few beers and will probably have a wee tear in my eye at the full time whistle.

The Real Maroonblood
12 hours ago, portobellojambo1 said:

I don't think it is actually on TV, or a TV channel as such although you should be able to watch it on your TV through either YouTube or Facebook (think Facebook is the other option). There may be a subscription fee as well.

Watch it on Sunday.

The Real Maroonblood
23 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

Will be watching the last 10-15 mins from behind the sofa!!

:laugh:

It was like an eternity waiting on the whistle.

Салатные палочки

I don't know what it is but I still get nervous watching that last five mins. 

Simply my greatest day ever watching Hearts. Everything about that weekend from start to finish was amazing. The social club in Rutherglen watching the build up, the bus to the stadium seeing a sea of Jambos, a scorching, proper cup final day, Hearts fans getting the best seats. 

The game and the rest of the weekend has been covered before but I'll be surprised if anyone over 35 doesn't see this as the greatest. 

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

I don't know what it is but I still get nervous watching that last five mins. 

Simply my greatest day ever watching Hearts. Everything about that weekend from start to finish was amazing. The social club in Rutherglen watching the build up, the bus to the stadium seeing a sea of Jambos, a scorching, proper cup final day, Hearts fans getting the best seats. 

The game and the rest of the weekend has been covered before but I'll be surprised if anyone over 35 doesn't see this as the greatest. 

The weather that weekend was amazing. It just topped it of.

It was a truly fantastic day , I remember in the last 5 or so mins young pointed for a free kick on the edge of the box but I thought he was pointing to the penalty spot!  I just collapsed , thankfully the free kick was ballooned over the bar or hit the corner flag by the Italian I think it was lol..... truly amazing scenes in Gorgie road that night and on the Sunday 

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, One five said:

It was a truly fantastic day , I remember in the last 5 or so mins young pointed for a free kick on the edge of the box but I thought he was pointing to the penalty spot!  I just collapsed , thankfully the free kick was ballooned over the bar or hit the corner flag by the Italian I think it was lol..... truly amazing scenes in Gorgie road that night and on the Sunday 

Remember going back in the bus.

It was so quiet initially because it seemed not to have sunk in what had happened.

2 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Remember going back in the bus.

It was so quiet initially because it seemed not to have sunk in what had happened.

Lol, yeah it was the first time for a lot of us watching the famous lifting a trophy , glorious indeed.

maroonlegions
4 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

:laugh:

It was like an eternity waiting on the whistle.

Aye and the same for me  waiting on Adams  strike hitting the back of the net.Talk about time standing still.. I thought Goram had just got enough on it to keep it out, but it took fecking ages to cross the line and when it did i was two rows down... CARNAGE...

merseyjambo

98 made up for so much heartache, especially the LC final the year before. 

So many tears of joy that were even sweeter as Hibs had already been relegated that season. 

Diadora Van Basten

98 was the best I often see Billy Brown around Musselburgh and have to fight the urge to go up and hug him.