What languages can you speak?

Rick James

Let's see how international the lads and lassies of Kickback are. What languages can you speak? Are you learning any, or do you have intentions of learning any? Now seems as good a time as any other to start learning.

Those who know me, you'll know I speak a little German. Nowhere near as good as you'd think though. I've been studying on and off on Duolingo for ages but I'm too lazy to stick at it. I was really good at German at school, but never really retained it. I'd like to learn Dutch, but I ain't too bad for someone who's never learned it.

Really want to do Russian, but Duolingo kinda throws you in at the deep end in terms of reading the words. It's a whole new alphabet, and without someone to teach me it, I feel like I'm walking into walls.

William H. Bonney

I’m doing Duolingo too. Have been for just over 2 months. I’m learning French. Supposed to be in preparation for my holiday in July. 

1 minute ago, Dino Velvet said:

I’m doing Duolingo too. Have been for just over 2 months. I’m learning French. Supposed to be in preparation for my holiday in July. 

How you finding it? Heard good things, I just haven't focused for long enough to really feel the benefits.

For German, I know most of the simple words, and it's handy to do little refreshers. I just haven't done enough of it to see if it ends up giving you sentences and the likes to hold conversation.

William H. Bonney
5 minutes ago, Locky said:

How you finding it? Heard good things, I just haven't focused for long enough to really feel the benefits.

For German, I know most of the simple words, and it's handy to do little refreshers. I just haven't done enough of it to see if it ends up giving you sentences and the likes to hold conversation.

I’m enjoying it. I’m doing 2 hours a day. The masculine and feminine takes some time to get used to but I’m getting there. 
 Not so sure if I could hold a conversation but I certainly think I could order a coffee and ask where the toilets are! 😁

chester copperpot

Was almost fluent in French when I left school and continued a part of my course at Uni

Also stayed in France for 3 months working in a cafe.

But, like most things, I havent really used the language in 20 years so my vocabulary has diminished considerably. I can get by but nowhere near fluent.

Pish at languages.

Having said that done a short student exchange to Hungary and learnt more in a few weeks than i did years at school (french). Didnt retain any of it now though.

Likewise in.poland learnt a few basics but didnt stay with me.

Doctor FinnBarr
12 minutes ago, Jambos_1874 said:

I've been learning Klingon. nuqDaq ‘oH tach’e’!?

Met 2 guys many a year ago in the Black Pig who could speak Klingon, like you, they'll never find a real one to find out how fluent they really are.

annushorribilis III
47 minutes ago, Locky said:

Let's see how international the lads and lassies of Kickback are. What languages can you speak? Are you learning any, or do you have intentions of learning any? Now seems as good a time as any other to start learning.

Those who know me, you'll know I speak a little German. Nowhere near as good as you'd think though. I've been studying on and off on Duolingo for ages but I'm too lazy to stick at it. I was really good at German at school, but never really retained it. I'd like to learn Dutch, but I ain't too bad for someone who's never learned it.

Really want to do Russian, but Duolingo kinda throws you in at the deep end in terms of reading the words. It's a whole new alphabet, and without someone to teach me it, I feel like I'm walking into walls.

How did you do it ? 

I lived in/around Maastricht for over a year but never learned much as they don't speak Dutch down there (weird Dutch/German dialect). 

I can read French well and speak it poorly.

German is abysmal , I used DuoLingo to try and learn Italian but found it very boring and gave up. 

Selkirk_Jambo

Fairly fluent in German, alright in Italian and currently learning Spanish. 

Wouldnt mind learning something Eastern European at some stage but got my hands full language wise at the moment 

Edited by Selkirk_Jambo

JudyJudyJudy

Can speak Somd french as I love all things France . Thinking of doing online classes due to isolation . It’s a beautiful language 

Took French at school, so had a foundation. When Canada went fully bilingual I went to Alliance Francaise for a couple of years. could get by but was not fluent, could read very well. If I hear the language for long enough now I can pick up the gist of what is being said, but have basically lost it.

Living in the Caribbean, I'm exposed to Jamaican patois every day. Unless it's a real hardcore Rasta, I can understand the vast majority of it. I know it's not a 'language' as such but it's a very colourful and expressive dialect. Weh yuh ay seh? Mi deh yah!

Done German at school and was pretty fluent but have forgotten most of it now.

Done an intensive italian course with work a couple of years ago, 40 hours with a uni lecturer over 10 weeks and found it near impossible to pick up, in all honesty structure wise i found it a terrible language to learn

Captain Price

Did German at school but didn’t learn anymore after I had left. 

Downloaded the DuoLingo app around 6 months ago and surprised myself with how much I still remembered!

1 minute ago, Marvin said:

I can order drinks in Spanish, German and French, just as long its cerveza, bier or biere :laugh: 

Great minds. We ken the important stuff. 😁

My German is passable. I can go out on my own, shop, eat out, get and give directions, kind of follow the telly programmes and as long as there's no more than 2 other people, I can (almost) hold my own in a conversation. Head hurts after a day or two of being over there though. 

Spanish, I have a basic tourist grasp. Where is, do you have, how much, I would like. I practice it a couple of times a week at work as there's a few Spanish speaking folk who come in. By practise, I mean I now know the various Spanish names for different coffees. 

1 minute ago, Normthebarman said:

My German is passable. I can go out on my own, shop, eat out, get and give directions, kind of follow the telly programmes and as long as there's no more than 2 other people, I can (almost) hold my own in a conversation. Head hurts after a day or two of being over there though. 

Spanish, I have a basic tourist grasp. Where is, do you have, how much, I would like. I practice it a couple of times a week at work as there's a few Spanish speaking folk who come in. By practise, I mean I now know the various Spanish names for different coffees. 

For me I learn the sweary words then develop my skills from there.

1 minute ago, Marvin said:

For me I learn the sweary words then develop my skills from there.

Unfortunately, most of my German speaking time is with in-laws. While the temptation is there, calling them a bunch of ***** probably wouldn't end well for me. 

1 minute ago, Normthebarman said:

Unfortunately, most of my German speaking time is with in-laws. While the temptation is there, calling them a bunch of ***** probably wouldn't end well for me. 

scheisse 

I can have simple conversations in Spanish but I came last summer with only yes and no so I’ll take that. Spend some of my time every day learning. 

I could speak very basic Dutch but I haven’t spoken that in 6 years so I can’t remember much if any off the top of my head. 

I was made to take Latin at school. Not the most useful but interesting when looking at the formation of words/ languages. The only German I know comes straight out of the 'Commando' comics I read as a kid. and even then I have to speak with a strange dialect

Edited by inspector
Betterenglish

16 hours ago, annushorribilis III said:

How did you do it ? 

I lived in/around Maastricht for over a year but never learned much as they don't speak Dutch down there (weird Dutch/German dialect). 

I can read French well and speak it poorly.

German is abysmal , I used DuoLingo to try and learn Italian but found it very boring and gave up. 

I went through a phase about 8 or 9 years ago of being right into Ajax, and following a lot of Dutch speaking Ajax fan pages etc. I found a lot of words and sentence structure similar to German. 

Done a few of the basic modules on Duolingo last night, and glided through. Haven't come across a word yet which isn't similar to itself English or German counterpart. Only the basics I know, but surprisingly easy if you have a grasp of German.

Man - Mann

Vrouw - Frau

Jongen - Junge

Meisje - Mädchen 

joondalupjambo

Three.  Scottish, Fife and English😃 I find Fife the hardest, two bags for example is twa bogs!!