Radio Forth 1975

Tasavallan

Getting bored here in isolation.  My head started reminiscing over old days when Radio Forth started  back in 1975 and trying to remember the names then.  I remember that Steve Hamilton did the morning slot and Chris John did the late night rock show for us teenagers who were too young for the pub. Tom Bell did a slot in the afternoon.  Oh and Father Andy for the suicidal Hibbees on a Saturday night.

Any other names remembered?

been here before
28 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

Oh and Father Andy for the suicidal Hibbees on a Saturday night.

Any other names remembered?

The Open Line..Father Andy Monaghan.

Top notch listening.

Bill Barclay was on it- my granny was a big fan. There was a phone in on Sunday afternoons with Margo McDonald and David Johnstone my dad used to listen to that. 

It must have been soul destroying for the presenters with the big serious music intro... lining up the big heavyweight local, national and international stories of the week to be discussed and debated by the high brow, informed listeners.

Every 2nd call was from Mags in Clovenstone who "had to wait 45 minutes on a 32 bus at Wester Hailes Centre furtae take he and her pal tae the bingo' or Tambo from Drylaw complaing about 'the dug shi... eh sorry David...  mess on the street outside the Gunner'

Edited by been here before

My recollection is that back then they didn't have a great archive of records to choose from so they were like 'you remember this one from The Carpenters?'..................eh aye cause you played it half an hour ago.

20 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I know he meant well but his voice.

He did, the sentiment of the show was noble but it set itself up for the amount of prank calls it got, a couple of my Dad's apprentices were regulars🤣

Fair play to Boogie and Arlene. Working g 6 days a week with early mornings to boot.

Believe they won best local radio show in the UK the other week.

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, The Mighty Thor said:

Sure it launched in the January and the first song played was January by Pilot?

Correct.

57 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Father Andy was a hoot🤣🤣

😂 Absolutely!

The then modern day Rev IM Jolly.

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, red21 said:

Steve jack, alec shuttleworth, Ken Haynes 

Was Alec Shuttleworth a bit a wind up merchant?

Seem to remember in the 90s it was Jay Crawford on drive time and Darren Adam in the morning? 

Edited by Normthebarman

They used to do disco road shows regularly in Danderhall community centre in the late 70's. Jay Crawford and Bob Malcolm were the ones that did them 

🎼When you turn on your radio, 194 on the dial, you can be sure of a friend with a smile. 🎼

1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Does anyone remember Scottie McClue from Scot FM?

Used to listen while lying in bed as a teenager on a school night. Just waiting for Pyjama Man or the likes to call in.

alwaysthereinspirit

“Andy you need to help me. I don’t know if I can take it anymore”

”ok caller just calm down and tell me your problem”

”I can’t even discuss it. I don’t even know where to start. I don’t even know if life is worth continuing”

” just tell me what is bothering you and we can maybe point you in the right direction. Or at least have you talk to the right people who can help you”

”forget it Andy. There’s nothing anyone can do. It’s to late”

”it’s never to late to except help. Any help”

” Andy it’s way past the help stage. I just think it’s time to except that they’ve put the price of Mars Bars up again”

Dirty Deeds
13 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Jay Crawford?  I think it started June 1975 just as I was leaving school. 

Edinburgh Rocks with Jay Crawford 

I P Knightley

14 hours ago, Crete said:

Mike Gower,Jay Crawford was the youngest DJ at radio forth when it started.

Jay Crawford was the name I remembered when I saw the OP.

I hadn't realised he was a youngster - may explain his interest in girls in my sixth year in the early '80s.

11 hours ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

“Andy you need to help me. I don’t know if I can take it anymore”

”ok caller just calm down and tell me your problem”

”I can’t even discuss it. I don’t even know where to start. I don’t even know if life is worth continuing”

” just tell me what is bothering you and we can maybe point you in the right direction. Or at least have you talk to the right people who can help you”

”forget it Andy. There’s nothing anyone can do. It’s to late”

”it’s never to late to except help. Any help”

” Andy it’s way past the help stage. I just think it’s time to except that they’ve put the price of Mars Bars up again”

Poor Andy! I knew him IRL but I never listened to his show, although I did hear that he became a victim of pranksters more often than not. He had to let it play out as he was concerned about the few genuine callers that he could help or comfort. Was there not a female co-presenter?

I'm not sure if he was there at the start, but Graham Jackson use to do a soul, jazz funk and disco spot, possibly a Monday night?

alwaysthereinspirit
47 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I hadn't realised he was a youngster - may explain his interest in girls in my sixth year in the early '80s.

Poor Andy! I knew him IRL but I never listened to his show, although I did hear that he became a victim of pranksters more often than not. He had to let it play out as he was concerned about the few genuine callers that he could help or comfort. Was there not a female co-presenter?

You are right. There was definitely a girl on with him Saturday night.

10 through midnight was probably asking for trouble. There was at least one prankster every Saturday.

1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

There was a Helen, if I mind right.

Andy, who was the Catholic priest at Pathhead, Midlothian, apparently got a lot of flack from the church for advocating abortion on the show.  I think he was suspended from his parish, and disappeared, after some women made accusations against him. 

2 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Did they not have a phone in programme on a saturday night, if you had a problem.

or 5 :(.

I remember a guy phoning one night to ask for advice about how to deal with a neighbour who, he was sure, kept wild animals in his garden. Turned out the guy lived in Corstorphine 😄.

Edited by whodanny

Graham Jackson I think was the guy I used to listen to, I used to lie in bed with the radio to me ear so mum and dad thought I was asleep 

Mind as soon as I heard a police car  I’d change the channel to AM and try tune into the police with radio hard against my ear 

No wonder I’m half deaf now 

scott herbertson

Not sure which dj this is ? BobMalcolm?

This is my brother's band pre-Hearts of Glory days

😱

17 hours ago, red21 said:

Steve jack, alec shuttleworth, Ken Haynes 

Steve Jack had about 7 shows on Forth at one point including the request show “Voice your Choice” - my family got me to phone in when I was bairn and if I remember right requested “Rip it Up” by Orange Juice.

He owned the boozer at Tollcross “Captain Jacks”.

1 hour ago, scott herbertson said:

Not sure which dj this is ? BobMalcolm?

This is my brother's band pre-Hearts of Glory days

😱

It was good of Liverpool to give Dalglish time off for the band.

News reporter Harry Smith - when he left somebody said "No more "This is Harry Forth, Radio Smith news"."

Was Colin Somerville there as well maybe.

Edited by Jambrotta

Craig Gordons Gloves

Andy was famous on Radio Tay as well.  I remember hearing the story about the one he had that went like this (more likely urban myth but who knows)

"Andy, i don't know if i can take it, both my laddies have come out as being gay''

'I'm sure that's a shock to you but being gay isn't an impediment to a happy life'

'aye but Andy, it's no right, it's just no right'

'I understand but being gay isn't wrong'

'Aye, but it's no right that i caught them shagging each other!!'

Or something like that. 

scott herbertson
5 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

It was good of Liverpool to give Dalglish time off for the band.

Genuine name - Kenny's name got them airplay by John Peel

John Findlay

I was 12 in April 75. Had to get the 27 bus to secondary school. I'm sure in those days Radio Forth was played upstairs on the buses.

132goals1958

Don’t remember who it was (maybe Billy Connolly) but apparently there is a story that when News of Bing Crosby ,s death filtered through someone at Radio Forth grabbed a tribute song. It was an old classic. Dancing cheek to cheek. However the opening lyrics are —-  Heaven I’m in Heaven 

132goals1958
23 hours ago, obua said:

Scott Wilson was on afternoon show,not sure when .

Remember Tom Wilson who was top notch. Think he had a slot on a Thursday night. Played some great music in the days when you tried to record with a radio cassette. Happy days 

Horatio Caine
13 hours ago, 132goals1958 said:

Don’t remember who it was (maybe Billy Connolly) but apparently there is a story that when News of Bing Crosby ,s death filtered through someone at Radio Forth grabbed a tribute song. It was an old classic. Dancing cheek to cheek. However the opening lyrics are —-  Heaven I’m in Heaven 

I've heard that story, only the version I heard was that it was Ken Bruce  on Radio 2 and he ended up with a severe reprimand.  (That came from a member of his family).

The White Cockade

Bill Torrance

The Sunday Morning Phone In - Clarke Tait I think

Trying to remember who did the football preview programme on Saturday morning

Think Ray Hepburn did Hearts stories?

Was Steve Hamilton DJ on the first programme on launch day?

Edited by The White Cockade