Unsung Hearts heroes who could have, should have but never got a Scottish cap

Bauldrick

Bobby Kirk - the best right back in Scotland in the 1950s overlooked in favour of mugs from the old firm

George Thomson a classy attacking left back who would be a mega star nowadays also overlooked

Billy Higgins a classy midfielder as good as anyone else in the league, guess what, overlooked.

Yes. Definately Tosh McKinlay. Moved to Celtic and was capped right away. He was also a better player wi us than he was wi them.

John Findlay
1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

I know they got capped but 6 in total for the Terrible Trio...someone talk me through that nonsense. 

Harry Shaw.

Baggio was one of my favourite Hearts players ever tbh. He was so intelligent and technically gifted. People will probably not like this but John McGinn is similar to Stevie, great left peg, held people off with his big fat erse. His vision and ability to see and then play a pass was exceptional tbh. Scored some great goals as well. 

Unfortunately we had Collins, Burley, Lambert, McNamara, MacAllister and Billy McKinley at the time for Scotland. Craig Brown was never going to give the Hearts lads a cap, even after 97/98. 

Weir, Cameron, Fulton and McCann should have been in the 98 world cup squad. Instead Brown chose plonkers like Simon Donnelly, Derek Whyte, Scott Gemmill and Scott Booth. What a feckin travesty. 

John Findlay
2 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Do go on...

Said gentlemen was chairman of Hibs as well as the SFA in the 50s. Need I say more, for perhaps his surname was Swan, 

Nookie Bear
9 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Said gentlemen was chairman of Hibs as well as the SFA in the 50s. Need I say more, for perhaps his surname was Swan, 

Say no more. Wee Team Mentality. 

SwindonJambo
52 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Baggio was one of my favourite Hearts players ever tbh. He was so intelligent and technically gifted. People will probably not like this but John McGinn is similar to Stevie, great left peg, held people off with his big fat erse. His vision and ability to see and then play a pass was exceptional tbh. Scored some great goals as well. 

Unfortunately we had Collins, Burley, Lambert, McNamara, MacAllister and Billy McKinley at the time for Scotland. Craig Brown was never going to give the Hearts lads a cap, even after 97/98. 

Weir, Cameron, Fulton and McCann should have been in the 98 world cup squad. Instead Brown chose plonkers like Simon Donnelly, Derek Whyte, Scott Gemmill and Scott Booth. What a feckin travesty. 

Weir was in the squad and played v Norway in Bordeaux. I fully agree with the rest of your point though. Throughout history, Far too many OF numpties have won I'll deserved caps. Kirk Broadfoot! Wtf?

Edited by SwindonJambo

TyphoonJambo
10 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Stevie Fulton. 

End thread. 

Got there before me. Defo

I know he's been capped but Robbo should have had his call up years before he got his first cap. He was as a prolific a goal scorer as McCoist, fat Sally only got a head of the wee man on account of playing for rangers.

26 minutes ago, Strawberry Jam said:

Walter Kidd

Loved Zico, but Malpas was a) a very good player and b) very consistent.

Who were the squad right backs in the 1980s that Kidd would have been overlooked for? Steve Clarke? 

maroonshrew

Doesn't quite fall into this cos he's in no way a 'hero' but Im convinced Templeton goes on to have an International career if he doesnt waste 4 years of his 20s in the lower leagues

11 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

Weir was in the squad and played v Norway in Bordeaux. I fully agree with the rest of your point though. Throughout history, Far too many OF numpties have won I'll deserved caps. Kirk Broadfoot! Wtf?

Weir played the ball through for Burley's equaliser iirc.

Andy Driver

Cant remember the specifics. Was it rules at the time coz he had played 21s for england he couldnt then get a full call up for anyone else ?

maroonshrew
3 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

Andy Driver

Cant remember the specifics. Was it rules at the time coz he had played 21s for england he couldnt then get a full call up for anyone else ?

There was a back and forth yea, then when he realised he was never going to get past England U21s, he declared for Scotland and by the time it was ok'd he was never anywhere near the squad as he was on the decline with injuries. At 20/21, he probably would've got a full cap. 

scott herbertson

Peter Oliver was a class act but injuries got him

Alan Anderson and Jim Townsend are both down as having caps but they were IIRC just some pre season tour thing and not the full caps they deserved. Townsend even scored

9 hours ago, graygo said:

Mike Galloway, pretty sure he never got a cap till he went to Celtic.

Be happy Billy Macneil was daft enough to pay a small fortune for Galloway .

Should never have been near any Scotland squad , whoever he played for

SwindonJambo
1 hour ago, johnthomas said:

That was an outstanding piece of business. Galloway was signed from the English lower leagues for buttons 18 months previously and while he quickly got into the 1st team (scoring a beaut at Ibrox which I witnessed) and did very well, the fee received was very generous. His form dipped quite quickly after joining Celtic too.

been here before
4 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

That was an outstanding piece of business. Galloway was signed from the English lower leagues for buttons 18 months previously and while he quickly got into the 1st team (scoring a beaut at Ibrox which I witnessed) and did very well, the fee received was very generous. His form dipped quite quickly after joining Celtic too.

Didnt it just. Even allowing for the fickleness of your average football fan he went from "Ohhh Mikey, Mikey..." to "Ohhh Shitey, Shitey" at quite the rate of knots.

SwindonJambo
21 minutes ago, been here before said:

Didnt it just. Even allowing for the fickleness of your average football fan he went from "Ohhh Mikey, Mikey..." to "Ohhh Shitey, Shitey" at quite the rate of knots.

He made his Celtic debut at Tynie on the opening day of the season after the transfer. I always thought it was the Hearts fans, pissed off at his sale, who sang the ‘Shitey, Shitey’ version. 

andyscott82

It really was an absolute disgrace that Fulton, McCann and Cameron didn’t make the squad for the ‘98 World Cup. 

17 hours ago, buba said:

I'll get in first

Anti Niemi

what ? He’s no Scott Ash ? I thought he was Scott Ash 🤣😂🤣😂🤣

3 hours ago, johnthomas said:

Half a million ircc :laugh: