Unsung Hearts heroes who could have, should have but never got a Scottish cap

Bauldrick

Robbo-Jambo
2 hours ago, been here before said:

Didnt it just. Even allowing for the fickleness of your average football fan he went from "Ohhh Mikey, Mikey..." to "Ohhh Shitey, Shitey" at quite the rate of knots.

Far too fond of the bevvy was Mike 😏

annushorribilis III
4 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

Peter Oliver was a class act but injuries got him

Alan Anderson and Jim Townsend are both down as having caps but they were IIRC just some pre season tour thing and not the full caps they deserved. Townsend even scored

Agreed.

Talking of injuries : Jim Brown. An incredibly consistent full back (in the 70s, for you youngsters)  IMO who deserved more but had his career wiped out in a horror tackle. 

Colin Cameron - look at some of the dross that played instead. I know someone who played with him at Wolves who said Mickey was one of  the best he played with. 

brunoatemyhamster

Anyone said Antti Niemi yet? 

Couldnt understand how he never got picked. 

2 hours ago, Marvin said:

Half a million ircc :laugh:

Yes I was fortunate to be living and working (with mostly Celtic fans)  in Glasgow at the time .

Milked the tits off that one

gashauskis9
19 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Scott Crabbe? Scotland had good strikers then.

This.  Robbo struggled at the time to get in as well.  We had McCoist, Johnston, Rambo, Fleck, Speedie, Durie, Mclair and Gallagher to name a few banging them in every week around the late 80s/early 90s.  

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Gashauskis9 said:

This.  Robbo struggled at the time to get in as well.  We had McCoist, Johnston, Rambo, Fleck, Speedie, Durie, Mclair and Gallagher to name a few banging them in every week around the late 80s/early 90s.  

I wish he had scored a goal against Hibs for us, I think the celebration would’ve been memorable.

10 hours ago, pablo said:

Loved Zico, but Malpas was a) a very good player and b) very consistent.

Who were the squad right backs in the 1980s that Kidd would have been overlooked for? Steve Clarke? 

Would have been Stuart Kennedy at Aberdeen I think

Strawberry Jam
11 hours ago, pablo said:

Loved Zico, but Malpas was a) a very good player and b) very consistent.

Who were the squad right backs in the 1980s that Kidd would have been overlooked for? Steve Clarke? 

Yeah, you’re probably right. I just really liked Zico!

Auld Reekin'
7 hours ago, Irufushi said:

Steven simmons.

:kirk:

Yep, maybe Simmons should've got a cap or two... If he had, Scotland might've got away with having 12 men on the park at once and - you never know - he might have actually made some sort of contribution very (very) occasionally before donning his magical cloak-of-invisibility again.

Hectormasson
21 hours ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Far too fond of the bevvy was Mike 😏

Seen him in a pub with 2 of his m8 ,vile mouth on the man,  seems a bitter c....t  prob after his crash ,,,and realised hed be a common skinflint soon 🤭

Guest ToqueJambo

It's criminal John Colquhoun only got two caps. Won't be a popular choice but I thought Jamie Walker should have got a chance when he was the best goal-scoring midfielder in the country. Players like Jason Cummings and Lewis McLeod who had shorter periods of similar form got call-ups and he never got a sniff.

23 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

I wish he had scored a goal against Hibs for us, I think the celebration would’ve been memorable.

would have been nice if he had done it 27 or so times 🤣

Pasquale for King
34 minutes ago, cookieboy said:

would have been nice if he had done it 27 or so times 🤣

That too 😃

John Findlay
1 hour ago, pablo said:

Was he not a left back? Would need to check myself. 

Right back. Was Phil Neal's replacement at Liverpool.

1 minute ago, John Findlay said:

Right back. Was Phil Neal's replacement at Liverpool.

Was he? And did Malpas keep him out of the Scotland team at right back for most of the 80s? I was pretty young and didn't really watch the NT that much. 

John Findlay
Just now, pablo said:

Was he? And did Malpas keep him out of the Scotland team at right back for most of the 80s? I was pretty young and didn't really watch the NT that much. 

Steve Nicol was in the World Cup squad of Mexico 86. Missed a golden chance to score in the game against Uruguay.

On 29/03/2020 at 20:36, BelgeJambo said:

Would have been Stuart Kennedy at Aberdeen I think

Kennedy never played for Scotland again after the 78 World Cup? Or did he.....Ray Stewart, Arthur Albiston,  Frank Gray all played right back or did Gray play left back.

On 29/03/2020 at 08:40, Marvin said:

I know he's been capped but Robbo should have had his call up years before he got his first cap. He was as a prolific a goal scorer as McCoist, fat Sally only got a head of the wee man on account of playing for rangers.

Robbo eventually got called up in late 1990, solely because McCoist and the other OF suspects were ruled out through injury. He promptly scored the equaliser in a 2-1 win against Romania. Started the next game alongside McCoist against Switzerland. McCoist put a penalty in the stand. We got a second penalty and Robbo buried it. Scotland won 2-1 again. After 2 goals in 2 games, he was then promptly dropped. Scotland made it to Euro 92, thanks in part to those 2 games, and Robbo was forced to withdraw through injury. He eventually ended up with a measly 8 caps, scoring one more goal (against Ecuador).

Just now, John Findlay said:

Steve Nicol was in the World Cup squad of Mexico 86. Missed a golden chance to score in the game against Uruguay.

Yes! I remember that. Scotland really had some decent players back then. So Zico would have had Malpas and Nicol in front of him for right back? That's a shame, he was a great no nonsense defender, but not as good as those two.

alicante jambo
On 29/03/2020 at 17:37, Gashauskis9 said:

Mclair one of the biggest let downs ever to play for scotland. Sure he scored 2 goals in 30 odd matches. Back in them days playing for the old firm counted. Tosh mckinley one of the best players i seen at hearts never got a look in. Signs for celtic straight in.

gashauskis9
2 hours ago, alicante jambo said:

Mclair one of the biggest let downs ever to play for scotland. Sure he scored 2 goals in 30 odd matches. Back in them days playing for the old firm counted. Tosh mckinley one of the best players i seen at hearts never got a look in. Signs for celtic straight in.

Agreed.  Tosh wrongly played 2nd fiddle to Malpas (imo one of the most overrated players this country has produced, absolute donkey) in the late 80s/early 90s.  When Malpas faded away, guess what, Tom Boyd leaves Motherwell and all of a sudden becomes first choice international LB.

22 hours ago, Doc Rob said:

Robbo eventually got called up in late 1990, solely because McCoist and the other OF suspects were ruled out through injury. He promptly scored the equaliser in a 2-1 win against Romania. Started the next game alongside McCoist against Switzerland. McCoist put a penalty in the stand. We got a second penalty and Robbo buried it. Scotland won 2-1 again. After 2 goals in 2 games, he was then promptly dropped. Scotland made it to Euro 92, thanks in part to those 2 games, and Robbo was forced to withdraw through injury. He eventually ended up with a measly 8 caps, scoring one more goal (against Ecuador).

McCoist knocked it down for Robbo v Romania did he not ?

Guest ToqueJambo
11 hours ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Agreed.  Tosh wrongly played 2nd fiddle to Malpas (imo one of the most overrated players this country has produced, absolute donkey) in the late 80s/early 90s.  When Malpas faded away, guess what, Tom Boyd leaves Motherwell and all of a sudden becomes first choice international LB.

Culminating in him scoring an own goal at the WC finals when we had a point vs Brazil in our sights. 

Edited by ToqueJambo

12 hours ago, cookieboy said:

McCoist knocked it down for Robbo v Romania did he not ?

My memory isn’t quite that good! My abiding memory of that game is that the injury list was so bad that the team was virtually unrecognisable (Robert Connor got a cap and Tom Boyd, who was still at Motherwell, came off the bench) and I thought Robbo was called up only because the usual guys were out. Could be wrong though. McCoist definitely started the next game.

jack D and coke
On 29/03/2020 at 12:57, SwindonJambo said:

That was an outstanding piece of business. Galloway was signed from the English lower leagues for buttons 18 months previously and while he quickly got into the 1st team (scoring a beaut at Ibrox which I witnessed) and did very well, the fee received was very generous. His form dipped quite quickly after joining Celtic too.

Probably a lot to do with the fact they played him at RB and mostly defensively. Galloway was never a defensive player. Was he still at Celtic when he had that horrific car crash?
An amazing £550k though after getting him from Halifax for £50k IIRC. 

On 29/03/2020 at 10:35, Alan_R said:

Andy Driver

Cant remember the specifics. Was it rules at the time coz he had played 21s for england he couldnt then get a full call up for anyone else ?

He played at a under 21 tournament with England and Germany pumped them in the final - he was in same squad as Joe Hart James Milner Theo Walcott etc 

SwindonJambo
12 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Probably a lot to do with the fact they played him at RB and mostly defensively. Galloway was never a defensive player. Was he still at Celtic when he had that horrific car crash?
An amazing £550k though after getting him from Halifax for £50k IIRC. 

I've a feeling he'd moved on to Pompey by then. It just shows how decent footballers can quickly become poor ones through mismanagement. Galloway nailed down a starting place in a league leading side within a month of signing for us.

Edited by SwindonJambo

On 30/03/2020 at 14:43, Nookie Bear said:

Steve Nicol?

George Burley and Danny McGrain as well.

Edited by benny

JimCornette

Baggio Fulton without a doubt. I went along to support him in a Scotland B game at Clyde and the talk was he'd be drafted into the main squad, but it never happened. Pretty sure it was around about France 98 time too. 

Stevie is God.

London_Hearts
On 30/03/2020 at 22:01, Doc Rob said:

16 caps placing him joint 8th alongside Craig Levein.

https://londonhearts.com/scotland/clubs/heartofmidlothian.html#SummarybyCaps

London_Hearts

Top 20 players by appearances who never won a Scotland Cap.

Walter Kidd - 462 Apps 9 Goals [1977 to 1994]
Duncan McClure - 430 Apps 3 Goals [1933 to 1948]
Johnny Hamilton - 410 Apps 114 Goals [1955 to 1967]
Jim Brown - 386 Apps 25 Goals [1969 to 1979]
Willie Murray - 374 Apps 92 Goals [1923 to 1934]
Jimmy Brown - 360 Apps 0 Goals [1942 to 1952]
Tom Mackenzie - 358 Apps 5 Goals [1942 to 1958]
Bobby Parker - 330 Apps 28 Goals [1947 to 1957]
Neil Berry - 316 Apps 11 Goals [1984 to 1996]
Willie Gibson - 312 Apps 112 Goals [1973 to 1981]
Jim Jefferies - 310 Apps 6 Goals [1972 to 1981]
David Clunie - 310 Apps 8 Goals [1966 to 1977]
Paddy Crossan - 310 Apps 14 Goals [1912 to 1925]
Bobby Kirk - 292 Apps 12 Goals [1955 to 1962]
Willie Wilson - 273 Apps 72 Goals [1912 to 1923]
Billy Higgins - 268 Apps 19 Goals [1957 to 1967]
Donald Park - 262 Apps 43 Goals [1972 to 1985]
Davie Laing - 260 Apps 17 Goals [1946 to 1954]
Drew Busby - 256 Apps 85 Goals [1973 to 1979]

Alan Anderson - 475 Apps 31 Goals [1964 to 1976] would have topped the list until a couple of weeks ago.

London_Hearts
3 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Were most not off the subs bench though?

8 starts (subbed 3 times) and 8 off the bench.

London_Hearts
On 30/03/2020 at 22:01, Doc Rob said:

Robbo ..... He eventually ended up with a measly 8 caps

He probably only got 5 caps as they were awarding a single cap per season covering all games played. See 1995 cap.

Not sure if this applied in the early part of his career.

M1995.2.JPG

IMG_0225.JPG

East Lothian Jambo
On 28/03/2020 at 20:48, Cruyff said:

Stevie Fulton. 

End thread. 

Correct answer 

Fabulous player. Frighteningly talented 

On 28/03/2020 at 17:42, Mikey1874 said:

While with us, Tosh McKinlay. 

This.  He had barely put a Celtic strip on before he was called up.  Says everything about our game.