Kitchen knives

IronJambo

Right kickback, I know you have the answers!

Fed up after slicing another finger open due to my knives not holding an edge anymore.

How much do I need to spend on a decent set of knives? What type of steel should they be? Japanese/German/other? Best way to maintain them?

I don't mind spending the coin for the right thing. 

The Mighty Thor

Anything high carbon steel  and pick up a decent whet stone. 

I bought one off Amazon for 20 quid or so and can spend a bit of time sharpening them into a proper razor edge 

I'd swear by Sabatier knives.

They should last a lifetime.

Try not to use the traditional two-wheel knife sharpeners as they strip off too much metal and can damage the edge.

A proper sharpening steel or a sharpening block is better.

Always hand wash knives, don't run them through a dishwasher.

£60 will get you a basic block of 5-6 blade, running up to around £100+ for the larger sets with more knives.

Be careful if buying Sabatier knives as the name doesn’t seem to have been properly trademarked as there are a lot of crap ones out there. My main knife is a Sabatier Professional Santoku knife. Global knives are good but overpriced and sharpen slightly differently due to the shape of the edge. 

1 hour ago, Cade said:

Try not to use the traditional two-wheel knife sharpeners as they strip off too much metal and can damage the edge.

£60 will get you a basic block of 5-6 blade, running up to around £100+ for the larger sets with more knives.

I've had a block of 5 Anolon blades for around ten years that cost me £80 or so in a sale. I really want to step it up a level or two

1 hour ago, Cade said:

Apologies for quoting you twice. Aren't there blocks that reshape bent edges and blocks that sharpen? Straightening the edges is apparently needed more often if a decent blade?

Edited by IronJambo

Go to nisbets and get ya self a set of victorinox knives. 

I also highly recommend looking in tk maxx as a I found a cooks knife in there for 4 quid and it's been better than any top brand knife I've ever had. 

I'd swerve Sabatier like the plague 

Edited by AW1
Typo

Just now, AW1 said:

I'd swerve Sabatier like the plague 

See my post above about Sabatier. There are good ones but also shit ones. 

5 minutes ago, Tazio said:

See my post above about Sabatier. There are good ones but also shit ones. 

Bought my parents a set a few years ago and they're always razor sharp when I visit.

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

Be careful if buying Sabatier knives as the name doesn’t seem to have been properly trademarked as there are a lot of crap ones out there. My main knife is a Sabatier Professional Santoku knife. Global knives are good but overpriced and sharpen slightly differently due to the shape of the edge. 

i;ve got a set of global knives and have had them for 7-8 years, they are still sharp

scott herbertson
4 hours ago, IronJambo said:

Bought my parents a set a few years ago and they're always razor sharp when I visit.

tell them to calm down, at  their age they need to relax

Also they should at least appreciate the intention behind your gift....

Greedy Jambo

I get the feeling that this boy wants knives for other reasons. 

It's not the end of the world yet mate. We might be getting relegated but there's still time to create vaccines. 

Getting rid of knives because they're too sharp, what next. 

Edited by Space Pirate

5 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

I get the feeling that this boy wants knives for other reasons. 

It's not the end of the world yet mate. We might be getting relegated but there's still time to create vaccines. 

Getting rid of knives because they're too sharp, what next. 

Naw min, I'm no a psycho. I cut my finger whilst cutting carrots because the blade slipped due to not being sharp enough. Blunt blades are dangerous. I need new mega sharp blades to cut shit with!

6 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

Naw min, I'm no a psycho. I cut my finger whilst cutting carrots because the blade slipped due to not being sharp enough. Blunt blades are dangerous. I need new mega sharp blades to cut shit with!

Your logs that big?? Could try a metal coathanger. 

Greedy Jambo
15 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

If you cut your finger, the knife isn't blunt, you're just shit a cutting stuff. 

Greedy Jambo

You can cut a carrot with a bog standard butter knife if needs be 😂 

I know self isolation is boring but stop wasting your money. Save up for a rifle. 

1 hour ago, Space Pirate said:

You can cut a carrot with a bog standard butter knife if needs be 😂 

I know self isolation is boring but stop wasting your money. Save up for a rifle. 

A rifle?  FFS   have  carrots mutated ?

The worlds ******** if we now have to shoot down wild carrots with rifles.

Though there downfall ,we can shoot the feckers in the dark 🙂

Maybe I've been watching too much Forged in Fire, but I fancy some Damascus steel kitchen knives.

Procook knives are pretty decent, didn’t go for the full set just got the paring/veg, chef and santoku knives then added a decent cleaver from the Chinese supermarket. All in spent around 60 odd quid as had an old cheap set that  had steak knives and carving knife/fork so was just upgrading what I use the most. 

procook pots and pans are also decent

Greedy Jambo
52 minutes ago, Tott said:

A rifle?  FFS   have  carrots mutated ?

The worlds ******** if we now have to shoot down wild carrots with rifles.

Though there downfall ,we can shoot the feckers in the dark 🙂

Aye, fair point. 

If he's managed to cut his hand with a blunt knife, what's he going to do with a rifle? 

Roxy Hearts

Victorinox knives are very good. Same company that produces Swiss Army knives. Not too expensive and can get on Amazon. 

16 hours ago, Space Pirate said:

If you cut your finger, the knife isn't blunt, you're just shit a cutting stuff. 

Wrong. A decent blade would go through the carrot effortlessly and wouldn't have slipped off it. The knife is far from blunt but it's not sharp either and not sharp knives are more dangerous than sharp ones.

14 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

Wrong. A decent blade would go through the carrot effortlessly and wouldn't have slipped off it. The knife is far from blunt but it's not sharp either and not sharp knives are more dangerous than sharp ones.

exactly, non sharp knives rather than cut seem more to tear or slip thus the knife can end up in a location where you dont want it

17 hours ago, Ribble said:

Procook knives are pretty decent, didn’t go for the full set just got the paring/veg, chef and santoku knives then added a decent cleaver from the Chinese supermarket. All in spent around 60 odd quid as had an old cheap set that  had steak knives and carving knife/fork so was just upgrading what I use the most. 

procook pots and pans are also decent

Was looking at them yesterday. Been trying to work out what's what. Don't care much for paying for a brand but the type of steel and how the blades been formed does interest me. Quite a lot to sort through really.

2 hours ago, IronJambo said:

I get what you're saying there but sod trying to explain that one to my Mrs. 🥺

Wife bought me a couple of Procook chef knives and a cleaver. Don’t take much to keep sharp either.

Had them for about 12 years now.