Airfix Kits.

Harry Potter

Harry Potter

Another way of passing the time , building an airfix kit.

Amazon have a fair number of kits at a decent price.

You can also purchase a work station from Humbrol which

holds the paint brushes, glue and thinners, and paint pots.

Jambo-Jimbo
12 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Haven't made one of those in years, I think I used to be no bad at it, even tried my hand at HMS Victory once, was great until it came to the rigging, took ages to do it in the end.

I've been doing the same HP.

Finished off an old set over the last week to get my hand back into painting and have (admittedly revell) a Lancaster and a Porsche to do now.

Really nice thing to take the mind off the outside world and pass the time.

What are you building?

15 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Haven't made one of those in years, I think I used to be no bad at it, even tried my hand at HMS Victory once, was great until it came to the rigging, took ages to do it in the end.

Same. 
Last one I did was the Bismarck when I was still at school.

Harry Potter
13 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I've been doing the same HP.

Finished off an old set over the last week to get my hand back into painting and have (admittedly revell) a Lancaster and a Porsche to do now.

Really nice thing to take the mind off the outside world and pass the time.

What are you building?

Not decided yet bud, theres such a big choice, over the years built ships planes ,

including the large scale spitfire, one of my best jobs.

I like the motorbikes and cars as well.

20 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Not decided yet bud, theres such a big choice, over the years built ships planes ,

Yeh I found it hard to choose, I went for the hard skill levels this time so they last me a while but I'm also concerned they'll be a bit hard for me.

I've always been a planes man and despite the Porsche only being 83 pieces I fancied giving that a go. Usually I get bored of the painting and just enjoy the building but I've taken my time this week and tried to make a good go of the painting and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I'm sure you'll enjoy whichever you go for. Let us know and share you progress 👍

Салатные палочки

I bought a Sea King one years ago and never completed it. Too fiddly and I'm a clumsy *******. So I bought a Boeing 737-200 which was much easier until it came to the decals. 

I see there's a new magazine out where you can build Ecto 1 from Ghostbusters. What I wonder is how they fill the pages of the magazine. 

I enjoyed making them as a kid, but I was utter shite at it. I used to break bits, lose bits and any glass, like a cockpit or a windscreen, always ended up being opaque with gluey fingerprints. The glue though...

f6ubFQ.gif

hadn't made one for over 20 years until this week where i have finished the ford gt40 and i am in the middle of a vw beetle. after that i have a typhoon and a harrier to make

1 hour ago, allyby said:

Here's a good forum for plenty helpful tips, also take a look at some of the finished work to see how the pro's do it.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php

Those finished models are quite impressive. Some amount of work must go into them.

I used to love making Airfix kits when I was young, they never looked anything like those though! Most of my knowledge of WW2 came from them and Commando comics.

Edited by buzz

8 minutes ago, buzz said:

Those finished models are quite impressive. Some amount of work must go into them.

I used to love making Airfix kits when I was young, they never looked anything like those though! Most of my knowledge of WW2 came from them and Commando comics.

I loved the commando books, the football books as well. Found a load of them when moving house, going to have a read through them at some point.

davemclaren
2 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

I built a Saturn V airfix kit in the early 70s. It was painting them I found to be the biggest challenge. 

Had a huge collection back in the day, sold most of it a few years back.

I do still purchase and build the odd bit of LEGO and I'm really getting into Metal Earth models.

Metal Earth is laser cut sheets of steel you clip out and origami into high quality wee models.

It's a bit fiddly and you will need tweezers and some other small hand tools to bend/twist the tiny wee tabs but they look fantastic.

59877.jpg71TCGpZoJnL._AC_SY355_.jpg

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

You must have some patience. 

I'm doing a jigsaw and it's driving me nuts.

2 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

I enjoyed making them as a kid, but I was utter shite at it. I used to break bits, lose bits and any glass, like a cockpit or a windscreen, always ended up being opaque with gluey fingerprints. The glue though...

f6ubFQ.gif

One I completed last week has an obscenely opaque cockpit 😂😂

Harry Potter
1 hour ago, iantjambo said:

I loved the commando books, the football books as well. Found a load of them when moving house, going to have a read through them at some point.

Had loads of commando books as a youngster, :)

37 minutes ago, Taffin said:

One I completed last week has an obscenely opaque cockpit 😂😂

Use the white wood glue to attach cockpits, once it's dried it goes clear and the cockpit doesn't mist over.

Edited by allyby

I was crap at building them when I was a kid. Thought I would have improved with age when I had kids and they had the kits. Nope. Still crap. Glue everywhere.

been here before

Built these on an off for years. Usual things but also a Uboat and a 1/24 scale Spitfire, Hurricane and Bf109.

The wee dudes had a couple of attempts with me helping. We finished this a couple of nights ago...

20200328_133023.jpg.b27879e42c4f60cddef4424435516a8b.jpg

20200328_133003.jpg.99cfed863b2ab3a692060a2264db8bd9.jpg

Got an X-Wing to do next.

The Real Maroonblood

Wonderland Models in Lothian Road have been there for years.

It’s good to see that there must still be a demand for Airfix and similar.

been here before
1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Wonderland Models in Lothian Road have been there for years.

It’s good to see that there must still be a demand for Airfix and similar.

Its a very big shop now. I can femember when it was just a smallish job with one side r/c stuff and a wee train sets bit and the other plastic models. Now there's a big huge bit round the back doing lego and all sorts of model building gear too.

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, been here before said:

Its a very big shop now. I can femember when it was just a smallish job with one side r/c stuff and a wee train sets bit and the other plastic models. Now there's a big huge bit round the back doing lego and all sorts of model building gear too.

That sounds good.

In the day of Xbox and PS it’s good.

Obviously a lot of adults use it but there will a lot of kids as well.

davemclaren
8 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

You should have let someone else do it......like most Project Managers ....

😉

😇

1 hour ago, allyby said:

Use the white wood glue to attach cockpits, once it's dried it goes clear and the cockpit doesn't mist over.

Nice one, I'll give that a go 👍 thanks