Football resumed

hueyview

Unfortunately I have a really bad feeling about this....

Was cheery watching the 5-1 cup final derby and Celtics 1967 on the BBC tonight

There's the financial side for clubs shown in other threads....  

But going and sitting in the stands, which is best part if my week... Has become worrying.....

God help us all...  Life without football is hellish......

upgotheheads

I see where you're coming from, but to be honest I was becoming so depressed at the position Hearts were in that I'm almost relieved that football stopped when it did,.The thought of the relegation battle was horrible.

I don't think we will see any kind of sport or gatherings like concerts resumed this year.  That is based on my assumption that once we are over this there will be justified concerns that large crowds could see it take off again.

Hope I'm wrong.

Montgomery Brewster
1 minute ago, Kiwidoug said:

I don't think we will see any kind of sport or gatherings like concerts resumed this year.  That is based on my assumption that once we are over this there will be justified concerns that large crowds could see it take off again.

Hope I'm wrong.

I think your spot on sadly

Uefa president Aleksander Ceferin says the current football season could be lost if it cannot be restarted by the end of June.

Most leagues in Europe are suspended because of the coronavirus pandemic, with this summer's Euro 2020 tournament postponed for another year.

Ceferin says seasons could be finished behind closed doors.

"If we don't succeed in restarting, the season will probably be lost," the Slovenian said.

He told Italian newspaper La Repubblica: "There is a plan A, B and C.

"The three options are to start again in mid-May, in June or at the end of June.

"There is also the possibility of starting again at the beginning of the next [season], starting the following one later. We will see the best solution for leagues and clubs."

SwindonJambo
6 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Hope I'm wrong.

I think you're going to be spot on. The most dangerous time will be when people relax and think they can go straight back to normal. That would bring a huge risk of a rapidly growing 2nd wave. 

For that reason, spectator sport and concerts will probably not be possible for many months. 

Pasquale for King
5 hours ago, CJGJ said:

Uefa president Aleksander Ceferin says the current football season could be lost if it cannot be restarted by the end of June.

Most leagues in Europe are suspended because of the coronavirus pandemic, with this summer's Euro 2020 tournament postponed for another year.

Ceferin says seasons could be finished behind closed doors.

"If we don't succeed in restarting, the season will probably be lost," the Slovenian said.

He told Italian newspaper La Repubblica: "There is a plan A, B and C.

"The three options are to start again in mid-May, in June or at the end of June.

"There is also the possibility of starting again at the beginning of the next [season], starting the following one later. We will see the best solution for leagues and clubs."

He can’t count, that’s four options. If it can be lost, that’s five. Who is this idiot and who was bribed for him to get this job 😱🤷🏾‍♂️🤔🙈?

Pasquale for King
11 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

I see where you're coming from, but to be honest I was becoming so depressed at the position Hearts were in that I'm almost relieved that football stopped when it did,.The thought of the relegation battle was horrible.

I agree, funnily enough not missing it one bit. The highlights of the cup game was a timely reminder of better times, a complete reversal of where the club was before the stoppage in play.

No chance that football will be played in front of spectators for months.

I would be gobsmacked if it happens before August. And I work in an essential work place

10 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Hope I'm wrong.

Good post...i fear theirs a.  Lot of truth in whst you. Say

Can we not just have no relegation across all the leagues so that those at the top aren't punished. Yes that does mean handing the title to Septic but in the Championship Dundee U who are deservedly title contenders come up to SPL. Of course if this happens, those of an unwashed/green persuasion wont be too happy but Celtic who have walked the Premier will get their award. Then in the following  seasons we adjust how many teams get relegated to restore order. 

I can't see football matches being played in front of large crowds for a long time.

People will be social distancing for a while whether told to by government or not, so crowds will diminish.

Also,  emergency services will probably be stretched for some time to come so probably would not make themselves available to cover a game of football. 

Can anyone see any games in Italy or Spain being played this year?

sandylejambo

Closed door football is a non starter, the players would have to mingle, so it's not going to happen, my best guess is, no relegation and promotions for the lower leagues top two with probably 3 relegated at the end of next season.

upgotheheads
1 hour ago, Serge said:

I can't see football matches being played in front of large crowds for a long time.

People will be social distancing for a while whether told to by government or not, so crowds will diminish.

Also,  emergency services will probably be stretched for some time to come so probably would not make themselves available to cover a game of football. 

Can anyone see any games in Italy or Spain being played this year?

There's also the 'wave' theory of infection. The isolation we're experiencing  is designed to prevent an unmanageable peak which leaves too few healthy people to look after too many sick ones. If it's successful and isolation stops the theory is there would be subsequent waves of infection at diminishing levels. By then though the famous herd immunity that Boris is so nobly helping us with will be becoming established and there will be fewer sick people and more healthy ones. However that still means that isolation periods will have to repeated a number of times, I wonder if the football authorities will factor that in? It probably means that when football resumes it will be stop-start for the next year. If we try to conclude this season it will mean cramming even more games into that disrupted period.

We should be hoping that we can get league and international football back on track by August 2021.

Edited by upgotheheads

East Lothian Jambo
1 hour ago, jonnothejambo said:

I don't think we will see any sporting activity, or anything else for that matter where people congregate such as in cinemas, theatres or pubs, during this calendar year. 

We really are in this for the long haul.

I think this is very likely 

4 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

I don't think we will see any sporting activity, or anything else for that matter where people congregate such as in cinemas, theatres or pubs, during this calendar year. 

We really are in this for the long haul.

I think it will depend on the testing process

Those on the front line first and others in their home and social circle 

There will come a time when we all should be tested and once that has been completed there will be the knowledge to make sensible decisions

1 hour ago, CJGJ said:

I think it will depend on the testing process

Those on the front line first and others in their home and social circle 

There will come a time when we all should be tested and once that has been completed there will be the knowledge to make sensible decisions

If its true that 50% of people can be asymptomatic then we may find a large proportion of people will have had it but that will require testing on mass which isnt happening anytime soon.

Edited by Jamboelite

sandylejambo
2 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

My daughter is an intensive care Nurse and lives with us so we'll soon find out.

give her big hugs from us

12 hours ago, Marvin said:

Can we not just have no relegation across all the leagues so that those at the top aren't punished. Yes that does mean handing the title to Septic but in the Championship Dundee U who are deservedly title contenders come up to SPL. Of course if this happens, those of an unwashed/green persuasion wont be too happy but Celtic who have walked the Premier will get their award. Then in the following  seasons we adjust how many teams get relegated to restore order. 

Not even joking, but we need to see how many football clubs are left in Scotland by the end of this year.  I imagine most, yes most, will go belly up.  Look at these clubs that whore themselves to the OF fans FFS.  Even before now they have been struggling to stay in business.

Gorgie_Rules

Unfortunately not a chance we are going to go from lockdown to allowing 10,000+ into a stadium in the space of a few months. It would require an element of telling those most vulnerable to continue to stay at home which is a non-starter. 

Unfortunately many will have the virus and don’t know, someone taking it to a football stadium with 10s of thousand there across the country could cause a huge spike in cases, on that basis I fear we will be lucky to see any sporting events this year, or at least until there is a vaccine

Montgomery Brewster
26 minutes ago, Gorgie_Rules said:

Unfortunately not a chance we are going to go from lockdown to allowing 10,000+ into a stadium in the space of a few months. It would require an element of telling those most vulnerable to continue to stay at home which is a non-starter. 

Unfortunately many will have the virus and don’t know, someone taking it to a football stadium with 10s of thousand there across the country could cause a huge spike in cases, on that basis I fear we will be lucky to see any sporting events this year, or at least until there is a vaccine

Correct

Enzo Chiefo

The season will start as normal in August , with the Scottish Cup SF's possibly taking place before then. The measures that have been imposed are not sustainable long term. Life simply has to get back to normal, small businesses will have to open as will schools . Football will also be part of that although some people may decide to self isolate indefinitely.  The science is sketchy to say the least. The author of the modelling that formulated Boris's decision making has rowed back from his 260k deaths forecast to less than 20k and now 5.7k. Meanwhile in Scotland the CMO still mentions 250k. 115k people in the UK die from respiratory illness each and every year and never get a mention, nor the 44k that die from Sepsis. The public will not put up with this for more than a few weeks far less a year. 

If, as the scientists from Oxford predict, 50% of the country have already had it without knowing then that will be a game changer. The antidote tests that are coming will prove whether they are right and the lockdown will be off overnight if so.