What’s your Hearts Heritage?

Nookie Bear

Grandfather was Hearts man got his 56 cup final ticket and 2nd cousin was Sandy Jardine so plenty Jambos that side of family. Wasn't till I moved from Fife to Gala that my new pals at the Academy got me to follow Hearts. Was 75/76 season i started watching them. 

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TWF

• Nookie Bear

• Morgan

• SwindonJambo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, Chas.Lewis said:

Hearts fan since 1946. Evacuated to Aberdeenshire during war, returned to Edinburgh 1945 when dad released  from pow camp (captured at St Valery, France 1940 - Cameron Highlanders). After return to Edinburgh went to Tollcross primary, all classmates Hearts fans! Grandmother lived in Dalry Road. Sneaked in whenever I could - no money! Watched the wonderful Hearts teams through the fifties and early sixties as well as all of the trials and tribulations of all the following years, including losing the league on goal average (Kilmarnock) then later on goal difference (Celtic) etc., etc! Been a supporter for over 70 years! 

Welcome to "THE AULD GITS Supporters Club"

15 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

Great great grandad , followed up by my dad ,who along with his two brothers were founder members of The Merchiston Hearts SC , he was later a honorary life member . 
Never any doubt where my allegiances would be nor my children’s 

It's in the "denims" and the blood

14 hours ago, MES said:

Really good thread. Why we are Jambos? My dad took me along to the football. From Perth and said as a youngster in the 30’s and 40’s he watched St Johnstone, or if they were away Dundee. Moved to Edinburgh in 1950 and watched us and them - whoever was at home. He took me to Hearts games and the odd game at Easter Road. Never said, but always knew we were Hearts. I suppose there are things      in life that don’t need said🇱🇻

Not wanting to become too repetitive - "It's in the Denims and the blood"

6 hours ago, japanjambo said:

Jambo from the day I was born. Tommy Walker was my grandfather's brother. My Dad took me to my first match when I was about five! 

:sweeet:

My dad took me from a very early age and would sit me on his shoulders behind the goal.

13 hours ago, centraljambo said:

This is a really enjoyable thread.

My Dad was originally from Dumfries and was a Queen of the South supporter. However my Mum's family were all Hearts fans.

My Grandad was General Manager of W & A Gilbey (Wines and Spirits Merchants). Their premises, which also included his house, was in Clifton Terrace at Haymarket (now the site of Platform 5 pub).

For my 5th birthday in October 1957 my Grandad took me to my first game and on the way to the ground stopped at the War Memorial clock and gave me my first history lesson. Hearts beat Aberdeen 4-0 that day and my new hero Alex Young scored one of the goals. I was hooked and I've been going ever since. We won the league that season, scoring 132 goals. Those were the days!!

DITTO

This is a fantastic thread. Thank you for bringing back many, many (a quote from Police Academy) happy memories.

Just had to return to catch up. She who must be obeyed has decided to take her exercise - "walkies with the dog" who has a Hearts collar on. (The dog not the wife!) Keep it rolling in.

To all you younger Jambos  these postings must surely prove if ever it required to be proved - The History of Heart of Midlothian FC has been created in blood and sex (am I allowed to say that?) for many decades. 

To coin the phrase "I shall return" - (Douglas McArthur USA Army 1942), the better half has just walked in after her exercise.

Over and out for now

Great thread, and it's making me feel quite nostalgic.

And it's put me in touch with a relative I didn't know I had.  :thumb:

My Grandad was born 1898 but didn't start following Hearts until around 1910, unfortunately he never saw any major honours and by the time we won the league cup in 1954 he had stopped going, however my Dad and Uncle had replaced him.  It was never in any doubt I was going to be brought up the Hearts faith.  Sadly my Dad passed away a couple of years ago but the family tradition is alive and well as I go to the games with my son and within a year or two my Grandson will be ready.

Doctor FinnBarr
6 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

Buckie Saturday 19th 1955 Scottish cup tie ( 0-6) my dad Bob 2nd on the right ,his brother Dave  at the back in the tammy, not sure of the other Jambos names . 

The bottom picture is them sending the result back “down the wires “ to the evening dispatch from the Buckie press office , with a well known Edinburgh speaker and my dads pal from the past , Craigie Veitch using his press connections to do the report .

7B07A650-A3AC-419B-BE47-7ED816A34B13.jpeg

4ABAA3FC-0EF9-4DDD-BEB5-946EAF07FFA7.jpeg

I've been visiting Buckie for 40 odd year and only once have I seen snow lie.

Nookie Bear
1 hour ago, Papa John said:

My Grandad was born 1898 but didn't start following Hearts until around 1910, unfortunately he never saw any major honours and by the time we won the league cup in 1954 he had stopped going, however my Dad and Uncle had replaced him.  It was never in any doubt I was going to be brought up the Hearts faith.  Sadly my Dad passed away a couple of years ago but the family tradition is alive and well as I go to the games with my son and within a year or two my Grandson will be ready.

That will soon be 5 generations following Hearts. 

You probably deserve this break right now tbh 😬

Nookie Bear
2 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Great thread, and it's making me feel quite nostalgic.

And it's put me in touch with a relative I didn't know I had:thumb:

Without football, for most of us it’s the wife. 

15 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Without football, for most of us it’s the wife. 

Mines gone missing, not seen her since she went out on Thursday evening at 8pm, something about the NHS

3fingersreid
1 hour ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

I've been visiting Buckie for 40 odd year and only once have I seen snow lie.

1954-56: 2 snowy winters, Aberdeen seeing 2ft of the white stuff in December 1954. Early January 1955 seeing general snow of about 4-12 inches. Mid January was snowy as well, with falls of 5ft in Blackpool, Lancashire, and Yorkshire (drifts). Northern Scotland and North East England also seeing large falls, of up to 2 feet. February was generally snowy, although especially in Northern Scotland. Mid May saw snow in the high Pennine regions. December 1955 saw frequent blizzards, affecting Scotland most. The East and North snowiest generally, with Scotland faring the best overall. Snowy.

Im sure they travelled up in the Royal Mail train as the normal service had been cancelled and to think he used to say I was mad following HMFC all over the country 😂😂

Despite my dad having seen the great team of the50’s he always said seeing us win the cup in 1998 was extra special given our past heartaches and that a whole new set of generations had seen us win at last . 
Wished he’d been alive to see 1-5 . 

Doctor FinnBarr
8 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

1954-56: 2 snowy winters, Aberdeen seeing 2ft of the white stuff in December 1954. Early January 1955 seeing general snow of about 4-12 inches. Mid January was snowy as well, with falls of 5ft in Blackpool, Lancashire, and Yorkshire (drifts). Northern Scotland and North East England also seeing large falls, of up to 2 feet. February was generally snowy, although especially in Northern Scotland. Mid May saw snow in the high Pennine regions. December 1955 saw frequent blizzards, affecting Scotland most. The East and North snowiest generally, with Scotland faring the best overall. Snowy.

Im sure they travelled up in the Royal Mail train as the normal service had been cancelled and to think he used to say I was mad following HMFC all over the country 😂😂

Despite my dad having seen the great team of the50’s he always said seeing us win the cup in 1998 was extra special given our past heartaches and that a whole new set of generations had seen us win at last . 
Wished he’d been alive to see 1-5 . 

It was about 91 or 92 I reckon, in April. I went by bike (motorbike) to attend a birthday party in oddly enough the Buckie Thistle social club, it was white at shutting time. Thought I had no chance of getting home on the Sunday but after phoning Grampian Police HQ in Aberdeen I was assured all roads were open. Odd thing was I traveled along the coast road through Portsoy to Macduff where everything was white but the minute I got onto the Aberdeen road all was clear. Very odd when the coast gets it but not inland.

3fingersreid
21 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

It was about 91 or 92 I reckon, in April. I went by bike (motorbike) to attend a birthday party in oddly enough the Buckie Thistle social club, it was white at shutting time. Thought I had no chance of getting home on the Sunday but after phoning Grampian Police HQ in Aberdeen I was assured all roads were open. Odd thing was I traveled along the coast road through Portsoy to Macduff where everything was white but the minute I got onto the Aberdeen road all was clear. Very odd when the coast gets it but not inland.

That is unusual , it’s usually the coast that stays clear 

Bazzas right boot

My dad and grandad and great grandad where all Hearts. 

Me and my brother defaulted to Hearts, although there is a photo of me in an Aberdeen top when I was about 4/5!

My dad's mum was hibs and quite Catholic. 

My mums mum was born in Gorgie and at 84 still asks about Hearts. My grandad on that side proclaimed to be celtic but tbh wasn't into football. 

Family now  is mostly Hearts with a smackering of hibs. 

Step brothers are rangers. 

sandylejambo

Father, Grandfather, me, my children, all my grandchildren. no need to get the social services involved at my house, all's well.

Dad and his dad. Parents lived in Wheatfield Street when they were first married. Mum worked in a hairdressers on Gorgie Road. I would play in the park at White City and wait on her finishing work. First game in '83. 5-2 thumping from Dumbarton at Tynie.

2 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

That will soon be 5 generations following Hearts. 

You probably deserve this break right now tbh 😬

😂😂

queensferryjambo
On 27/03/2020 at 21:04, martoon said:

I'd had plenty of 0-7 jibes in the seventies and when I mentioned it to my granddad he told me all about 8-3 and that Hearts had always been better than Hibs. 

My Grandad told me about the 8-3 game as well as he was there at the match. I was never sure whether he had remembered it incorrectly or not until I saw it was true on Londonhearts website.

When he told me about that game it was in the early 1980s - Hibs fans take note he wasn't wearing a T shirt with it on 47 years later ;) 

30 minutes ago, queensferryjambo said:

My Grandad told me about the 8-3 game as well as he was there at the match. I was never sure whether he had remembered it incorrectly or not until I saw it was true on Londonhearts website.

When he told me about that game it was in the early 1980s - Hibs fans take note he wasn't wearing a T shirt with it on 47 years later ;) 

👍

Recall speaking to an old Hearts man in the pub in the early '90's. He remembered a Hibs player vomiting on the touchline during the game.