A&E / Minor Injuries

Col1874

I'm certain I've broke my hand but reluctant to visit any hospital as my wife is considered high risk with regards to what coronavirus could do to her. 

Have any of you visited A&E in the past 24hrs? Do they have anything in place with regards to keeping 2m apart etc...? 

I can't even move my hand or fingers, it's not easy being 1 handed :lol:

davemclaren
1 minute ago, Col1874 said:

I'm certain I've broke my hand but reluctant to visit any hospital as my wife is considered high risk with regards to what coronavirus could do to her. 

Have any of you visited A&E in the past 24hrs? Do they have anything in place with regards to keeping 2m apart etc...? 

You’ll need to get seen to. Phone 111?

34 minutes ago, Col1874 said:

A&E is currently separated into different sections. Staff don’t move between sections. Anything respiratory goes into the Coronavirus side. You’re probably best to go while they have a handle on this. It has been fairly quiet recently so wouldn’t imagine the 2m rule will be hard to enforce. 

p.s. don’t blame me if you catch it. 

been here before

Go to minor injuries at the Western.

Much, much quicker. Might be worth giving them a bell just to make sure they're open.

The Old Tolbooth
Stuart Lyon

I went to the Minor Injuries Clinic at the Royal at 9am on Monday last. I was the only patient at that time and was seen by the nurse, had an x-ray then back to the nurse to get my middle and index fingers strapped together. When I left jus before 10am there were on 3 others waiting to be seen. NHS professional and efficient as usual.

Harry Potter
9 hours ago, Col1874 said:

Back in december sliced my finger open with a sharp piece of metal sticking out the brush which

i use for the garden, son drove me down to the western minor injuries unit where i waited 5 minutes, 

could not stitch it but a piece of gauze with a bandage was put on it.

As said phone up to find out what the procedure is, brush now in the bin , i also was given a Tetnus injection,

which will do me for life now.

Thanks everyone, I know I should get it seen to but decided just to leave it, I decided I can't take the risk of going to a hospital - still very sore, got slight movement back along with a clicking sensation and a big bruise.

On a positive note, the bruising is mainly on the palm of my hand, on the edge below my pinky to the middle of my hand, so hopefully that suggests it's not actually a break and hopefully just the swelling causing the pain (clutching at straws here) 

Edited by Col1874

Just now, milky_26 said:

why you are laughing, that is what he has done

I hadn't read the rest of the thread!

50 minutes ago, Col1874 said:

On a positive note, the bruising is mainly on the palm of my hand, on the edge below my pinky to the middle of my hand, so hopefully that suggests it's not actually a break and hopefully just the swelling causing the pain (clutching at straws here) 

Go to the Hospital. 

3 minutes ago, Morgan said:

:rofl: 

@milky_26 will no doubt have something to say about that.

he did follow hughesies advice initially lets see now.

or take my advice and get a sharp axe

2 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

he did follow hughesies advice initially lets see now.

or take my advice and get a sharp axe

Just as well he didn't.

Sounds like a wee stave to me!

16 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Not taking part in the national NHS clap then.    

Haha that already crossed my mind :lol:

16 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Sounds like a wee stave to me!

Didn't feel that way in the early hours of this morning, pain was right up my arm. 

But yes, hopefully that's all it is, I'm really doubting that it's a break. 

davemclaren
9 minutes ago, Col1874 said:

Didn't feel that way in the early hours of this morning, pain was right up my arm. 

Best get it checked out tho imo. 🤷🏼‍♂️

15 minutes ago, Jeff said:

That sounds like one furious masturbation injury

Personal experience talking here, Jeff?

14 minutes ago, Jeff said:

That sounds like one furious masturbation injury

The next few days don't sound too promising :lol:

2 hours ago, Col1874 said:

Thanks everyone, I know I should get it seen to but decided just to leave it, I decided I can't take the risk of going to a hospital - still very sore, got slight movement back along with a clicking sensation and a big bruise.

Might be best not to clutch straws and let your hand rest

1 hour ago, Col1874 said:

The next few days don't sound too promising :lol:

You never know, bit of perseverance and it might feel like somebody else?

2 hours ago, Col1874 said:

Post a picture of it. I'm sure someone here will be able to diagnose.

1 hour ago, hughesie27 said:

My hand is bruised which indicates that it is not broken. :what:

At least the bruise is the palm of his hand. I broke my hand skateboarding years ago, and when I went to see about it they instantly knew it was broken as I'd fallen palm down and the bruising was on top of my hand where the broken bone had impacted. 

When I broke my finger at footie it was a spiral fracture. Middle finger twisted and snapped right in the middle of my hand. It hurt but was bearable. Palm of my hand went purple...then bottom of my fingers...it looked like i'd just bruised my hand.

Couldn't close my hand to make a fist

X-ray confirmed break was quite clean so they taped up my hand and fingers to help it heal straight.

You need the x-ray. 

Edited by Der Kaiser

12 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

My hand is bruised which indicates that it is not broken. :what:

I was more referring to the position of the bruising and think it's been the force through my hand pushing the metacarpals together and therefore causing the bruising - The same as a staved finger from a failed basketball pass. That's my logic anyway but I'm no doctor. 

doctor jambo
14 hours ago, Victorian said:

Not taking part in the national NHS clap then.    

With a 2m range nobody will be getting the clap

I was more referring to the position of the bruising and think it's been the force through my hand pushing the metacarpals together and therefore causing the bruising - The same as a staved finger from a failed basketball pass. That's my logic anyway but I'm no doctor. 

Can you move your fingers yet?

davemclaren

I gave in and went to minor injuries... Currently waiting in a deserted waiting room

Right decision. 

I gave in and went to minor injuries... Currently waiting in a deserted waiting room

so is it broken?

8 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

so is it broken?

It is indeed yes. Got one of those horrible velcro splint brace things and orthopaedic department may put a cast on it - hope not tho. 

Edited by Col1874

indianajones

Good you went. Hear far too many horror stories about people with a broken hand/finger/foot that dont get it checked out and then develop sepsis. 

4 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

just get some detoll spray and use that on it

My Mrs found a can of detol spray at the back of the cupboard yesterday and you'd have thought she won the lottery :lol: