UEFA - Decision Needed

merseyjambo

merseyjambo

UEFA need to step up to the plate here and make a decision and provide clear guidance to their members about how to deal with the situation.

This should not be left to each member country but a unilateral decision across the board.

As has already been mentioned in numerous posts, the deadline date for completion of competitions of June 30th is almost inevitably not going to happen. The chances of any sort of fixtures being played by then is highly unlikely. 

It’s clear that clubs across Europe have no money coming in and unlikely to be coming in for a period of time. They are asking players to take salary cuts to help with finances in this difficult time. A decision needs to be made in order for clubs to start planning.

A decision by UEFA will allow leagues to release prize money and clubs to start planning by at least putting into motion decisions about Season Ticket prices and possibly even start selling them online to allow an income stream. 

Any thought realistically of completing this season I think is completely unworkable. 

Taking the words from our own Chairperson, she believes that it will be at least August before players may go back to receiving full salaries. That certainly doesn’t sound like the words of anyone who is expecting football to be restarted and season completed by 30th June.

All clubs have players who are out of contract in June. How can it be considered fair if the season doesn’t recommence before end of June and clubs are then expected to have gone through financial hardship and have lost players they may not have the money to replace those lost and then try to compete for at least 8 games. There will be players who have agreed pre contracts who will be expecting to go to their new clubs in June or July. While I don’t want him to sign, Craig Gordon is a prime example. Out of contract at end of June and if we were to sign him, would strengthen us. Contractually, I would doubt that you could legally extend someone to stay for a couple of months after their contract is finished. Where would it stand with the players insurance. Would clubs be able to challenge and sue based on the fact that a club won a title/were promoted or relegated because of ‘free agents’ brought in. Could associations try to force those who had signed pre contracts to stay. Would the clubs these players were going to be able to sue associations if they forced players to stay at their previous club. What happens if forced to stay and they suffer an injury like a cruciate ligament and are out of the game for 12 months. It is a minefield and IMO completely unworkable.

Personally, I think UEFA know that a 30th June deadline is impossible and was impossible when they set it but for the financial sake of a lot of clubs, they need to act now and give clear instruction about how this season is to be treated. 

The issue here is different TV deals in each country. UEFA will not make any decision across the continent as the contractual terms are different. The reason this fantasy of finishing leagues is perpetuated is to try and ensure a payout from these deals. Modern football in a nutshell. 

The reality is that football is unlikely before October and even that is optimistic going by the Chief Medical Officers latest advice. Anybody with sense would declare all competitions null and void.

16 minutes ago, OldGorgie said:

The reality is that football is unlikely before October and even that is optimistic going by the Chief Medical Officers latest advice. Anybody with sense would declare all competitions null and void.

Which October?

With respect to recent events and measures, how can mass gatherings be permitted until the virus is eradicated a vaccine is available or a cure is found?

35 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

UEFA don’t have any more of a clue how to deal with this than anyone else. 

True.  It’s unprecedented and how can they know more than the medics?

A_A wehatethehibs
9 minutes ago, FWJ said:

True.  It’s unprecedented and how can they know more than the medics?

The only thing they know anything about is how to funnel money out of the game and into their own corrupt pockets. Imagine expecting those clowns to show “leadership” :lol: they’ll be having tough times self isolating, on a yacht in Monaco or the Caribbean with tax dodged money from a Swiss bank account. Just the SFA on a grand scale, all about brown envelopes and pandering to the big clubs. Scum.

Yeh it’s about time the most popular and heavily financed sport in Europe grabbed its baws at the top and just made a decision. Even if it comes in the form of guidance rather than instructions because as far as I am aware they have no power to impose anything on national league set ups. But FFS this is a one day decision that should have been taken weeks ago but instead we had football suspended for 3 weeks which was laughable at the outset and followed quickly by a ridiculous assumption we’d be playing football by June. I think that unbelievably that’s still their hope

This week there needs to be some leadership, whether that comes from one of the big leagues making a decision that everyone else follows or by UEFA stepping in with strong guidance. Football before August is unlikely. September more likely and October probably the safer bet across Europe.

Just get it done. Take whatever hit needs to be taken on contracts and TV deals and start the recovery and support process.

Edited by JimmyCant

Uefa have 2 decisions to come up with.

1. When to scrap this season's UCL and UEL.

2. When there is confidence that the next UCL and UEL (in whatever form) can start, what is the cut off date for domestic associations to put forward their nominations.

Mr Elwood P
21 hours ago, merseyjambo said:

UEFA need to step up to the plate here and make a decision and provide clear guidance to their members about how to deal with the situation.

This should not be left to each member country but a unilateral decision across the board.

As has already been mentioned in numerous posts, the deadline date for completion of competitions of June 30th is almost inevitably not going to happen. The chances of any sort of fixtures being played by then is highly unlikely. 

It’s clear that clubs across Europe have no money coming in and unlikely to be coming in for a period of time. They are asking players to take salary cuts to help with finances in this difficult time. A decision needs to be made in order for clubs to start planning.

A decision by UEFA will allow leagues to release prize money and clubs to start planning by at least putting into motion decisions about Season Ticket prices and possibly even start selling them online to allow an income stream. 

Any thought realistically of completing this season I think is completely unworkable. 

Taking the words from our own Chairperson, she believes that it will be at least August before players may go back to receiving full salaries. That certainly doesn’t sound like the words of anyone who is expecting football to be restarted and season completed by 30th June.

All clubs have players who are out of contract in June. How can it be considered fair if the season doesn’t recommence before end of June and clubs are then expected to have gone through financial hardship and have lost players they may not have the money to replace those lost and then try to compete for at least 8 games. There will be players who have agreed pre contracts who will be expecting to go to their new clubs in June or July. While I don’t want him to sign, Craig Gordon is a prime example. Out of contract at end of June and if we were to sign him, would strengthen us. Contractually, I would doubt that you could legally extend someone to stay for a couple of months after their contract is finished. Where would it stand with the players insurance. Would clubs be able to challenge and sue based on the fact that a club won a title/were promoted or relegated because of ‘free agents’ brought in. Could associations try to force those who had signed pre contracts to stay. Would the clubs these players were going to be able to sue associations if they forced players to stay at their previous club. What happens if forced to stay and they suffer an injury like a cruciate ligament and are out of the game for 12 months. It is a minefield and IMO completely unworkable.

Personally, I think UEFA know that a 30th June deadline is impossible and was impossible when they set it but for the financial sake of a lot of clubs, they need to act now and give clear instruction about how this season is to be treated. 

How can they act now, when nobody has any idea when football can resume? 

14 hours ago, alfajambo said:

Which October?

With respect to recent events and measures, how can mass gatherings be permitted until the virus is eradicated a vaccine is available or a cure is found?

Vaccine is the biggy, isn’t it? People are recovering from this horrible virus and I’m sure a cure will still be on the agenda though, but I’m sure they’ve said(medical experts) it’s one of those things where it’s really down to natural recovery and traditional treatment( like if you have flu) unless you get that bad you need extensive medical help. 

It’s shite.  It’s really about doing all we can to keep cutting down the spread and buying that time until the medical world gives a green light to a vaccine.  Football is the last thing on our minds but for the sake of the debate, I can’t see it returning until next year. Maybe late this one at best. 

Edited by Debut 4

His name is

I'm pretty sure there won't be a ball kicked again this season. 

I think it would help matters if Uefa came out and made the decison and clarified of the season was void or teams being awarded leagues etc. 

As to what happens next season is anyones guess. 

I like the idea of a 14 team league with the top 2 being promoted. Dundee and Airdrie wouldnt be happy as they are only a few points of 2nd in the championship and league 1.

merseyjambo
16 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

How can they act now, when nobody has any idea when football can resume? 

They have set a deadline for the date they want fixtures completed by which is clearly not going to happen so they need to make a decision about what is to happen with this season. 

Next season can have an open ended start date and fixture numbers can be arranged based on start date.

Whats the rush??this is going to go on for many months i wouldn't expect to see football again till October or November if were lucky 🙄 - this season will need to be null and void I'd imagine and next season will probably have to have no cup matches so that more midweeks can host league games

Also they're not going to want folk all sitting next to each other at football anytime soon or it might start another wave of infections 

Mr Elwood P
4 hours ago, merseyjambo said:

They have set a deadline for the date they want fixtures completed by which is clearly not going to happen so they need to make a decision about what is to happen with this season. 

Next season can have an open ended start date and fixture numbers can be arranged based on start date.

Presumably they need to wait for the deadline to pass, or at least become a mathematical impossibility before taking further action?

merseyjambo
38 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Presumably they need to wait for the deadline to pass, or at least become a mathematical impossibility before taking further action?

I would have thought the opinion of medical experts would carry more weight in this matter

Mr Elwood P
3 hours ago, merseyjambo said:

I would have thought the opinion of medical experts would carry more weight in this matter

They have no idea of timescales either. Everything is based on modelling, nobody knows for certain. It really is a case of wait and see for next month or so ...

Lord Beni of Gorgie
On 26/03/2020 at 20:49, DETTY29 said:

Uefa have 2 decisions to come up with.

1. When to scrap this season's UCL and UEL.

2. When there is confidence that the next UCL and UEL (in whatever form) can start, what is the cut off date for domestic associations to put forward their nominations.

Yip. Been saying this for weeks. 

When the death toll sinks in and they realise the obscenity of their tv contracts and the game that I still love and crave, pales into insignificance,  when that day of cognisance arrives,  perhaps they will make the right decision. 

pettigrewsstylist

Nobody has a clue what the future looks like on other side of this. Society may have no disposable £ to spend on football.