Article by Helen Martin...

Section Q

A completely pointless column.

"If there’s a match on at Hearts, getting to the Western General for treatment is a nightmare for me".

Unless she lives near Tynecastle and her treatment always coincides with Hearts matches (who has regular hospital treatment ever other Saturday, with some Fridays, Sundays, a handful of Tuesdays and a handful of Wednesdays?), I don't see how that can be true.

Either a bitter Hobo or just a stirrer.

Written by someone who doesn't have a clue about football. Terrible, ill-informed nonsense article. 

That piece of so called journalism would be like me writing an article about pregnancy and what to expect in the 3rd trimester. 

Wow, they must be running out of non entities having a dig. What about companies that have sacked staff on the spot or forced unpaid leave.

The decisions made at Hearts were done earlier than most places and before people realised how bad this was. Does she honestly think AB is more worried about Hearts being relegated than the lives of the general public.

Just when you think this paper cant sink any lower they publish this pish. Almost on a par with the Sun nowadays.

Hibs Gazette does it again.

What a bitter and twisted piece of complete nonsense by someone who knows nothing about business or football.

And like others said, how can she link a home game for Tynecastle being a nightmare for getting to the Western General?  The two places are in opposite directions with completely different traffic flow.

Edited by frankblack

She’s an idiot who has been kicking about the EEN moaning about all and sundry for as long as I can remember. A serial NIMBY. She has battled cancer I believe, and she deserves to have access to the best medical care possible. I don’t see how lashing out at Hearts and Ann Budge over them trying to protect the club helps anyone though. I worked at the Western General for about a decade, and the problems getting to and from the hospital are nothing to do with Hearts. It’s an antiquated collection of buildings that simply wasn’t designed for the volume of cars that patients use to get there. She has my sympathies for her health issues, but it’s got **** all to do with Hearts, so lashing out at Hearts/Budge is just a bit sad really. We get it, you don’t like football. 🙄

What an extraordinarily poor and utterly pointless piece of journalism. 

Is she filling in for someone and tried to wing it? What the actual **** :D 

1 minute ago, OTT said:

It’s par for the course for her tbh. She’s a really shite columnist. Just a typical torn faced Edinburgh NIMBY.

Has this ****ing arsehole of a blowpiece tried moving house if getting to the hospital is such an issue for her?

Just now, neilnunb said:

Has this ****ing arsehole of a blowpiece tried moving house if getting to the hospital is such an issue for her?

Wouldn’t solve the problem. It’s the hospital that has insufficient transport links and parking. She’s face the same issues wherever she was travelling to it from and whether Hearts were playing at Tynecastle that weekend or not. She’s just lashing out at Hearts as it’s a convenient outlet.

John Findlay
1 minute ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Not really sure what her point is. 

The point is, she doesnt have one.

3 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Helen Martin would expect the hospital to move rather than her.

I used to work in a paper shop and would flick through the evening news on my shift. Pretty sure her articles were tagged as “bitching from bruntsfield” or something like that. 

Not particularly offended by this article, but I’m pretty sure her style of “journalism” is just jotting down the banal thoughts of middle class boomer women who would probably refuse to give kids a football back if it went into their garden. 

Just now, John Findlay said:

The point is, she doesnt have one.

It’s more that she has two unrelated points that she is clumsily attempting to mash together. 

1) It’s shite trying to get to the WGH, by car - The bus service is actually very frequent. Not everyone can take the bus though, health issues will play a part.

2) She doesn’t like football, and wishes she was able to make everyone else not like it too.

Best ignored until she makes a salient point regarding existing point #1.

2 minutes ago, The Fonz said:

I used to work in a paper shop and would flick through the evening news on my shift. Pretty sure her articles were tagged as “bitching from bruntsfield” or something like that. 

Not particularly offended by this article, but I’m pretty sure her style of “journalism” is just jotting down the banal thoughts of middle class boomer women who would probably refuse to give kids a football back if it went into their garden. 

:spoton:

That this could be published in a newspaper says a great deal about the state of the industry. There are better analysts and journalists posting on these pages than the Evening News, on every single subject not just football.

Edited by Jodami

5 minutes ago, The Fonz said:

I think your right, I was trying to remember and thought it was something from Marchmont.

We get her point; however, did she not watch the Chancellor launch a financial bazooka at the economy?

Aside from having a poor aim, Bill Clinton was right when he said: ‘It’s the economy, stupid!’. 

Saint Jambo

"Nice people are nice people."

Indeed and someone who earns their money taking cheap, I'll informed potshots at others doesn't qualify.

Good of the EEN to manage to publish an article that seems to bring together 100% of Hearts fans. Pretty hard to do.

54 minutes ago, OTT said:

What is the point she is even trying to get across?

It's poorly written, has absolutely no substance to it, and is just 5 or 6 paragraphs of complete drivel without any context whatsoever.

3 words into the article, she gave us the best advice she could have given us:

"turn the page now, or click on something else online"

Cheers Helen, but don't give up your day job :rofl: :rofl: 

Kirky Jambo

As others have said, what an utterly pointless article. It advises football fans not to read it - so who is she actually targeting given its an article about a football issue?!

24 minutes ago, tian447 said:

What is the point she is even trying to get across?

It's poorly written, has absolutely no substance to it, and is just 5 or 6 paragraphs of complete drivel without any context whatsoever.

3 words into the article, she gave us the best advice she could have given us:

"turn the page now, or click on something else online"

Cheers Helen, but don't give up your day job :rofl: :rofl: 

After a quick google it reads the same as the rest of her articles, 4/5 paragraphs of unconnected half points ranting about some sort of personal gripe. 

What's more concerning is the fact that the editor actually let that go to press, not that i'm surprised by the evening hobo! Really is about time the club told them to bolt!

1 hour ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Not really sure what her point is. 

yeah scratching my head here as well.

bizarre doesn’t cover it

24 minutes ago, Ribble said:

After a quick google it reads the same as the rest of her articles, 4/5 paragraphs of unconnected half points ranting about some sort of personal gripe. 

What's more concerning is the fact that the editor actually let that go to press, not that i'm surprised by the evening hobo! Really is about time the club told them to bolt!

Who is she? Is she actaully a journalist employed by the rag, tag and bobtail that is the Scotsman/EEN.?

2 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Who is she? Is she actaully a journalist employed by the rag, tag and bobtail that is the Scotsman/EEN.?

Semi retired, 66yr old that comes from bruntsfield/morningside, self absorbed 'social commentator' for the EEN that's actually quite nasty at times, can't actually find any reference to her as a journalist for any other publication.

1 minute ago, Ribble said:

Semi retired, 66yr old that comes from bruntsfield/morningside, self absorbed 'social commentator' for the EEN that's actually quite nasty at times, can't actually find any reference to her as a journalist for any other publication.

Maybe that's because she isn't a journalist and more a greetin faced auld wifey that has nothing better to do with her time that complain about people who dare to go out and enjoy themselves.

Harry Potter
2 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Written by someone who doesn't have a clue about football. Terrible, ill-informed nonsense article. 

That piece of so called journalism would be like me writing an article about pregnancy and what to expect in the 3rd trimester. 

Evening news fails again, this paper gets worse every day.

Randy Marsh
2 hours ago, Gorgiewave said:

A completely pointless column.

"If there’s a match on at Hearts, getting to the Western General for treatment is a nightmare for me".

Unless she lives near Tynecastle and her treatment always coincides with Hearts matches (who has regular hospital treatment ever other Saturday, with some Fridays, Sundays, a handful of Tuesdays and a handful of Wednesdays?), I don't see how that can be true.

Either a bitter Hobo or just a stirrer.

This.  I quite often have to drive to home matches and park my car at Roseburn.  I live near the Waterfront so pass the Western General on the way and cut through Ravelston.  I have never encountered any traffic issues whatsoever on the way there and back.  In fact there is barely any traffic on matchdays that it sometimes takes me less than 15 mins.  Absolute drivel.

22games nro

I normally try to be on the fence reading articles about us, looking at other people’s viewpoints who are not hearts fans, or indeed in this case football fans, sometimes I see their point of view and agree other times I don’t ,but I try to take in all the points and decide what my own thoughts are, 

‘but with this you can’t decide as there are no fundamental points to think about , trying to be ‘humorous’ mentioning the smurfs etc !

it read like a classroom assignment for a 15 year old (sorry any 15 year olds)

no wonder that paper is struggling for readers.

Edited by 22games nro

Nookie Bear

Nice quote from a 2011 article of hers about us developing Sighthill

“The alternatives for Hearts include a venture with Sir David Murray Estates, which seems like a much better idea... an entrepreneurial football fan who happens to have land near the airport and who, unlike the council, knows how to put a deal together without bankrupting himself.”

Hasn't Tynecastle been in it's present position longer than the WGH which really is awkward to get to for most of us.

Psychedelicropcircle

Helen. There will still be a legal challenge oh & try not to die before your career does.

Malinga the Swinga
21 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Nice quote from a 2011 article of hers about us developing Sighthill

“The alternatives for Hearts include a venture with Sir David Murray Estates, which seems like a much better idea... an entrepreneurial football fan who happens to have land near the airport and who, unlike the council, knows how to put a deal together without bankrupting himself.”

To be fair, Murray never bankrupted himself. He did help bankrupt Bank of Scotland though.

3 hours ago, frankblack said:

Hibs Gazette does it again.

What a bitter and twisted piece of complete nonsense by someone who knows nothing about business or football.

And like others said, how can she link a home game for Tynecastle being a nightmare for getting to the Western General?  The two places are in opposite directions with completely different traffic flow.

They just can’t help themselves. Last weeks article from Joel Sked was embarrassing. Writing about his experience of the Hibs cup win from a Hearts fans point of view. I didn’t see one from a Hibs Journalist about 2012.

2 hours ago, graygo said:

I think your right, I was trying to remember and thought it was something from Marchmont.

Moron from Marchmont?

18 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

To be fair, Murray never bankrupted himself. He did help bankrupt Bank of Scotland though.

He had a good go at it and nearly succeeded though.

baxterd1974
5 minutes ago, Koolkeith said:

They just can’t help themselves. Last weeks article from Joel Sked was embarrassing. Writing about his experience of the Hibs cup win from a Hearts fans point of view. I didn’t see one from a Hibs Journalist about 2012.

They are no longer trying to portray impartiality.

In the last week, interview with Rob Jones about league cup win, player ratings from the cup final in 2016, Marvin the fingerer talking about stubbs and sunshine on leith, the hilarious conrad logan etc etc.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Its so contradictory.

Football is irrelevant but I am going to waste my column inches writing about something I think is irrelevant. Kind of making her irrelevant?

18 minutes ago, baxterd1974 said:

image.png.65fccc0cd0349fd25539feb30399eb3c.png

A great example of the bias at the Scotsman group. Next thing the EEHobo will be saying that Hibs have a great derby record. The Scotsman group had been anti Hearts for a good time now. 

Speaking of idiots, is John Gibson of the EEN still alive? That boy slavered pish on a daily basis when I used to buy the paper about 20 years ago. A Hibbie and a Tory to boot.