Tropical Fish

Harry Potter

Harry Potter

Since moving in to our new home in November have purchased a new 64 litre tropical,

freshwater fish tank.

At the moment have a catfish, 2 swordtails , and a clown loach, anyone else enjoy this

hobby of keeping fish and what is the best solution for keeping Nitrates down. 

006.JPG

14 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Since moving in to our new home in November have purchased a new 64 litre tropical,

freshwater fish tank.

At the moment have a catfish, 2 swordtails , and a clown loach, anyone else enjoy this

006.JPG

Hey Bud. I have an 55 gallon tank. Best way of keeping the nitrates down is just regular water changes and making sure you’ve cycled the water correctly before putting livestock in. Removing any uneaten food and surplus waste that you see too. Once your filter has matured, you will find the water parameters take care of themselves with regular water changes (1/4-1/3 every fortnight is a good rule of thumb). 👍

Edited by Special Officer Doofy

You'll probably find out how the fish feel, when lock down happens. Hopefully someone can throw some feed through your window as you walk round in circles for months on end. 

Mon the Fish!

You can download a fish theme with Sky Q. The fish on my telly are better and take no looking after. Tanks bigger as well. 

5 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

You can download a fish theme with Sky Q. The fish on my telly are better and take no looking after. Tanks bigger as well. 

How do you that?  Sounds good.

1 minute ago, Lemongrab said:

How do you that?  Sounds good.

It's hiding with the on demand stuff I think. Half a dozen or so different themes 

4 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

It's hiding with the on demand stuff I think. Half a dozen or so different themes 

Cool, I'll have a look. Thanks. 👍

56 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

freshwater fish tank.

006.JPG

Forgot to add, it’s possible (although quite tricky) to breed Guppies and Mollies. The resulting hybrid is called a “Muppy”, I thought you might appreciate that particular one, mate. 👍

we tried this rather unsuccessfully, bought thank set up water all correct etc and put 3 kelpies in to start 2 of them have died in the last 2 weeks.

We are at a loss to what we are doing wrong but are going to have to find out before we get more !!

Harry Potter
49 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Hey Bud. I have an 55 gallon tank. Best way of keeping the nitrates down is just regular water changes and making sure you’ve cycled the water correctly before putting livestock in. Removing any uneaten food and surplus waste that you see too. Once your filter has matured, you will find the water parameters take care of themselves with regular water changes (1/4-1/3 every fortnight is a good rule of thumb). 👍

Cheers bud , 55 gallon tank(250 Litres) thats mega, is it true the bigger the tank , more easy to keep clean to a certain degree.

46 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

You'll probably find out how the fish feel, when lock down happens. Hopefully someone can throw some feed through your window as you walk round in circles for months on end. 

Mon the Fish!

:lol:.

Just now, Harry Potter said:

Cheers bud , 55 gallon tank(250 Litres) thats mega, is it true the bigger the tank , more easy to keep clean to a certain degree.

:D  :thumb:

20 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Yeah, I’ve got a big canister filter and I don’t have to change the water as regularly  to keep it safe. It’s fairly under stocked at present too. 

Another good hint is to have shrimp in there. They eat waste material and their own waste is negligible. 

33 minutes ago, steve123 said:

we tried this rather unsuccessfully, bought thank set up water all correct etc and put 3 kelpies in to start 2 of them have died in the last 2 weeks.

We are at a loss to what we are doing wrong but are going to have to find out before we get more !!

Buy a small water quality testing kit. Dead easy to do. You then just pipette out a few mLs in to the vials and add some drops and you can tell what the parts per million of each of Chlorine, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are. Check the pH with a similar kit too. If the parameters are out, then continue to cycle the water by adding a few flakes of food for a few weeks, and change 1/4 of the water fortnightly until they have returned to safe levels after an initial spike as it goes through nitrogen cycle. Then add fish in small numbers at a time.

1 minute ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Buy a small water quality testing kit. Dead easy to do. You then just pipette out a few mLs in to the vials and add some drops and you can tell what the parts per million of each of Chlorine, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are. Check the pH with a similar kit too. If the parameters are out, then continue to cycle the water by adding a few flakes of food for a few weeks, and change 1/4 of the water fortnightly until they have returned to safe levels after an initial spike as it goes through nitrogen cycle. Then add fish in small numbers at a time.

yea we had the stripes with nitrate on it and also  ammonia test left it for the week then put fish in, the only thing on testing a week later that was slightly high was nitrate so think that nust be it !!

2 minutes ago, steve123 said:

yea we had the stripes with nitrate on it and also  ammonia test left it for the week then put fish in, the only thing on testing a week later that was slightly high was nitrate so think that nust be it !!

That’s how it works, yeah. As the good bacteria start to establish in your filter and substrate, they feed on the ammonia and turn it in to nitrites, then bacteria feed on the nitrites and turn it in to nitrates. It’s more complicated than that, but that’s the basics. Once the nitrates return to safe levels, you can add one or two fish at a time to allow the bacteria to find a level that keeps the water safe. 👍

97AF19EF-AE40-4847-81DE-6336D365E319.jpeg

1 hour ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

That’s how it works, yeah. As the good bacteria start to establish in your filter and substrate, they feed on the ammonia and turn it in to nitrites, then bacteria feed on the nitrites and turn it in to nitrates. It’s more complicated than that, but that’s the basics. Once the nitrates return to safe levels, you can add one or two fish at a time to allow the bacteria to find a level that keeps the water safe. 👍

perfect cheers appreciated 

Harry Potter
2 hours ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

I get the 6 in 1 Tetra testing strips,  Test for Nitrate, Nitrite, General hardness,Carbonate hardness, PH and Chlorine.

25 strips for 8.49, only problem was nitrate at 40mg/l.

been here before
4 hours ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Forgot to add, it’s possible (although quite tricky) to breed Guppies and Mollies. The resulting hybrid is called a “Muppy”, I thought you might appreciate that particular one, mate. 👍

I suppose the PC polis would be all over Gollies right enough.

2 hours ago, been here before said:

I suppose the PC polis would be all over Gollies right enough.

Gollies are male Guppy x female Molly.

Muppies are male Molly x female Guppy.

I chose Muppies because I knew the name would appeal to Harry. 😉

10 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

freshwater fish tank.

006.JPG

Set up a four foot tank last year. Beat thing for nitrates is weekly water changes, don't overfed, remove any uneaten food or dead fish as soon as possible.  Clown loach will grow way too big for your tank, swordtails too. What type of catfish? Also, remember these fish all like to be kept in groups of there own type

Edited by cotter

Harry Potter
10 hours ago, cotter said:

Set up a four foot tank last year. Beat thing for nitrates is weekly water changes, don't overfed, remove any uneaten food or dead fish as soon as possible.  Clown loach will grow way too big for your tank, swordtails too. What type of catfish? Also, remember these fish all like to be kept in groups of there own type

I actually only give enough feed that they will finish, so no waste,  its a cory catfish, the 3rd

ive had over the years and all lived to a good age.

thanks for the help bud, much appreciated.

Do The Dance

I used to have a 200l tank. Is a good hobby if you keep on top of maintenance (which i sucked at). As mentioned by cotter, your tank has fish that will grow too big. Clown loaches should also be in groups of 5+, as should your cory. 

Worth having a google to see the types and amount of fish you can have in your tank. Might have to completely rethink your stock, I’m afraid.

Harry Potter
19 hours ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Gollies are male Guppy x female Molly.

Muppies are male Molly x female Guppy.

I chose Muppies because I knew the name would appeal to Harry. 😉

Ha Ha , spot on.

Greedy Jambo

Not trying to put anyone off but my leccy bill halved after getting rid of the fish tank. 

Edited by Space Pirate

Is pets at home open just now? Their website is not loading. I only have  a weeks worth of frozen food for my puffers left, they won’t touch any flake or pellets

On 23/03/2020 at 17:34, Space Pirate said:

Not trying to put anyone off but my leccy bill halved after getting rid of the fish tank. 

Funny you should say that, as mine exactly doubled when I got it.

Greedy Jambo
2 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

😂😂

I think we might be on to something here. 

10 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

Also get a cage of hamsters and connect their wheel(s) up to a generator for the fish tank. Job done.

Just now, redjambo said:

Also get a cage of hamsters and connect their wheel(s) up to a generator for the fish tank. Job done.

Yeah, but how much a month to feed the hamsters?

Unless you can feed them fish water?

22 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

Yeah, but how much a month to feed the hamsters?

Unless you can feed them fish water?

Drat. There goes my cunning plan (and my planned hamster-selling business).

Greedy Jambo

Hamsters keep you up all night rattling away on their wheel and unless you can be arsed clearing out their cage every few days, they reek of pish. 

Edited by Space Pirate

Always feel a bit sorry for fish in tanks. Bit like caged birds. They say fish have crap memories so don’t know they’re in a tank. Dunno how they know that like

Greedy Jambo
14 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Always feel a bit sorry for fish in tanks. Bit like caged birds. They say fish have crap memories so don’t know they’re in a tank. Dunno how they know that like

The fish 2 second memory span is a myth in my opinion.  My fish used to dance like cheap tarts every time i came home from work. Dinner time.

1 hour ago, Jamhammer said:

Depends on the species. If you go for fish that either live in small pools, or have small territories that they never leave in the wild, then they’ll be perfectly happy. 👍