Football From Yesteryear On TV

No longer active

No longer active

With the lack of live football just the BBC are showing FA cup matches from the past. Don’t know why STV or BBC don’t do that in Scotland ? 

Anyway yesterday’s offering included a quarter final cup encounter between West Brom and Nottingham Forest.

Fabulous watching the likes of Willie Johnston. Boy could we do with a player like that just now. Skilful, fast and not afraid to get stuck in. Good memories.

And goalies didn’t wear gloves either. Enjoyable stuff. 

Come on Scottish TV - lets get some of the games from your archives on TV rather than tripe you show just now

Edited by George Cowie

Lord Beni of Gorgie
43 minutes ago, George Cowie said:

With the lack of live football just the BBC are showing FA cup matches from the past. Don’t know why STV or BBC don’t do that in Scotland ? 

Anyway yesterday’s offering included a quarter final cup encounter between West Brom and Nottingham Forest.

Fabulous watching the likes of Willie Johnston. Boy could we do with a player like that just now. Skilful, fast and not afraid to get stuck in. Good memories.

And goalies didn’t wear gloves either. Enjoyable stuff. 

Come on Scottish TV - lets get some of the games from your archives on TV rather than tripe you show just now

I once asked the same question. Sketchy memory,  believe they were lost at Cowcaddens maybe a fire, but wouldn't mortgage it.

@Skippy Doodle is your man on you Tube 

Watched the Watford arsenal cup tie from 87 after the west brom game. Forgot it all kicked off at the end. Sad to hear the chanting from arsenal fans at Barnes & blissett. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
20 minutes ago, sassenach said:

Re goalkeeper gloves - there's a YouTube clip of a First Division game from 1976-77 between Middlesbrough and Newcastle.

The first interesting thing is how play is allowed to continue for something like 2 minutes with a dog running around on the pitch - this would be unthinkable nowadays.

Secondly, the Boro goalkeeper Jim Platt saves a penalty without gloves. Platt was a top keeper, only kept out of the Northern Ireland side by a certain Pat Jennings, but he simply didn't bother with gloves even though they were available.

Today's massive goalkeeper gloves are like those worn by wicketkeepers, so it really highlights how questionable the handling of today's goalkeepers can be.

Both Godden and Shilton no gloves in yesterday's retro games and catching it.

Mind you those balls back then stuck to skin better,  modern ones wouldn't.

A pair of Sells turn of the century you couldn't beat though. 

I used my face often to stop those hard plastic things,  certainty for dementia  :)

12 minutes ago, 22games nro said:

There’s more on  today BBC 1 at 3.10pm

Everton v Ipswich from 1985 and  Derby v Sheffield Wednesday  from 1993, also Man U v Portsmouth from 2008.

weegie jambo

I was amazed that I could name almost all of the Forest team as they ran on to the pitch!

John Findlay
1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

Both Godden and Shilton no gloves in yesterday's retro games and catching it.

Mind you those balls back then stuck to skin better,  modern ones wouldn't.

A pair of Sells turn of the century you couldn't beat though. 

I used my face often to stop those hard plastic things,  certainty for dementia  :)

The trick was to rub your hands with the mud from the pitch. This helped you catch and hold the ball better.

In the season we got relegated after the 15pts reduction for going into administration, I went upto Riccarton with my son to watch the team train.

The players wanted extra shooting practise but the goalies had gone. So I went between the sticks. They all went you've no gloves. I said dont worry about it. They got on with it. Kevin McHattie can hit a ball. The palm of my hands can testify to that.

A robust centre forward

Rub your hands with mud from the pitch.

Reminds me of Jim Herriot the old Scottish goalie from the 60/70s who used to put boot polish under his eyes when playing under floodlights. Said it helped him see the ball better under the lights. Only goalie who did this I believe. Can you think of any other strange habits players had ? Keep it clean !

Particularly enjoyed the WBA/Forest game. Two very good teams of household names going full pelt at each other. Bud Johnston, in particular, was superb. 

Amazing to think, too, that wee Archie's finest moment was still to come. Feels like there wasn't a time when that goal hadn't been scored. If you know what I mean.