• H2

• IveSeenTheLight

• ri Alban

• Fozzyonthefence

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fozzyonthefence
18 minutes ago, jamborich said:

Ffs there was still an hour of the game to go if JC had scored it was never a guarantee we would win the game 

He missed a sitter in the 2nd half too remember - hit the post with a header.  

I’m not sure if it was guaranteed if we’d play Napoli though.  Not sure if UEFA used names or numbers in the draw.

17 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

He missed a sitter in the 2nd half too remember - hit the post with a header.  

I’m not sure if it was guaranteed if we’d play Napoli though.  Not sure if UEFA used names or numbers in the draw.

It would have been us..Napoli were drawn against Bayern

Was especially gutted to miss him play at Tynecastle but at least I saw him at Hampden...and he was great at just 18.

In todays type of football he would have excelled with such protection

IveSeenTheLight
2 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

It's been said before, this is a good documentary. 

watching it, I truly felt sorry for him.

1 hour ago, obua said:

All the footage shows him holding the World Cup.seemed a bit selfish (look at me I won it kind of thing).

Ha, exactly what I was about to post. 

IveSeenTheLight
2 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Documentary proves definatively he's the best ever 

Nah, still respectfully disagree and the documentary only furthered that belief

queensferryjambo

He was a footballing genius and he was incredible to watch but people saying he won the world cup on his own is a total myth Argentina had a fantastic team back then.

The whole team were full of great players but IMO Valdano, Burruchagga and Ruggeri were all stand outs that World Cup along with Maradona. 

18 hours ago, H2 said:

if you exclude Pele, Zidane, Cruyff, Best, Eusebio, Greaves, McKay, Muller, Beckenbaur, Gullit,  Beckham, Messi, Di Stefano, Puskas, Maldini, Zico, Plantini, Rossi, Baggio,  Saurez, Rumminigge, Iniesta, Ronaldo (Port), Ronaldo (Braz), and so on. 

Most overrated rated player ever, biggest recognition is for cheating.

He's better than them all by a country mile, except Messi. Just a couple feet.

2 hours ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Nah, still respectfully disagree and the documentary only furthered that belief

As you support Aberdeen, your opinion on football is worthless. :)

9 hours ago, jamborich said:

Ffs there was still an hour of the game to go if JC had scored it was never a guarantee we would win the game 

Calm down son

22 hours ago, H2 said:

if you exclude Pele, Zidane, Cruyff, Best, Eusebio, Greaves, McKay, Muller, Beckenbaur, Gullit,  Beckham, Messi, Di Stefano, Puskas, Maldini, Zico, Plantini, Rossi, Baggio,  Saurez, Rumminigge, Iniesta, Ronaldo (Port), Ronaldo (Braz), and so on. 

You having a laugh 😂 
Maradona was without doubt the best football player I have seen 

This guy won a World Cup and league titles on his own 

Harry Potter
10 hours ago, jamborich said:

Had the privilege of watching him in friendly at hampden 1979 ripped Scotland apart gotta be the best player I've seen

I was there as well, not watched the film yet.

Fozzyonthefence
9 hours ago, CJGJ said:

It would have been us..Napoli were drawn against Bayern

Was especially gutted to miss him play at Tynecastle but at least I saw him at Hampden...and he was great at just 18.

In todays type of football he would have excelled with such protection

I know they did but doesn’t necessary mean we would have played Napoli - if they used numbers in the draw based on teams in alphabetical order (like they do in the Scottish Cup) then we wouldn’t have been the same number as Bayern in the semi draw so would have avoided Napoli and played against Maradona in the final!

20 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

I was there as well, not watched the film yet.

Who was it swapped shirts with maradona, Arthur Graham? Bit in the paper while ago it was him could be wrong 

Fozzyonthefence
5 hours ago, queensferryjambo said:

He was a footballing genius and he was incredible to watch but people saying he won the world cup on his own is a total myth Argentina had a fantastic team back then.

The whole team were full of great players but IMO Valdano, Burruchagga and Ruggeri were all stand outs that World Cup along with Maradona. 

That’s not a view I’ve seen from anyone before.  Everyone says they were bang average with one standout player.  Think it was 90 or 94 they had a much better team.

Harry Potter
1 minute ago, Angel eyes said:

Who was it swapped shirts with maradona, Arthur Graham? Bit in the paper while ago it was him could be wrong 

Not sure bud, i probably was half canned.

glynnlondon
10 hours ago, stan said:

That's offensive singing done properly 😀 No safe space inclusiveness there...

We could swap Naples out for Glasgow and belt it out when the weegie tramps come to town.

Would get the stadium rockin all right I reckon.

4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

He's better than them all by a country mile, except Messi. Just a couple feet.

image.png.62d471e9c80470c26ecff238124a8ea5.png Good feet!

1 hour ago, NB GIN said:

You having a laugh 😂 

You are right I am, but it brought out the gullible bully boys!

queensferryjambo
17 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

That’s not a view I’ve seen from anyone before.  Everyone says they were bang average with one standout player.  Think it was 90 or 94 they had a much better team.

That's because the myth that they were bang average is perpetuated to this day. In 1990 Argentina were boring and quite defensive if I remember correctly although Caniggia and Maradona were really good. Don't remember 94 apart from Maradona looking out his nut when he scored before a failed drug test :)  

Going back to 86 Most of the Argentina team played in South America their whole careers and no SKY Sports, BT Sport etc in those days. Basically after major tournaments you just never seen much of them anywhere again. You only really saw South American players if they went to European clubs and played at the highest level in those days. Maradona was obviously one of those players who made it in Europe with Napoli. Even then we rarely ever got to see week in week out European club football.

If you want a quick example of how bang average the other players in the team were - Valdano was the main striker for Real Madrid with a goal ratio of a goal ever 2 games. He played with Madrid from 84 to 87 winning 2 league titles, a league cup and 2 UEFA cups. He also scored goals in two UEFA cup finals in 1984/85 & 1985/86 winning both times. He scored 4 goals in the 86 World Cup including one in the final. Not bad going in club football or that World Cup. The other players on the whole were very good that tournament. 

IMO Maradona was given a lot of credit in the 86 World Cup (very rightly so as well) as he had bounced back so well from the disaster of the 82 World Cup. No doubting he was also awesome 86 and the best player in the tournament but he really did not do it himself IMO.

Let's face it with Maradona playing the way he did that year you could have been the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th best players in the World playing in that team and you wouldn't have been noticed :) 

One thing I will also say is since the advent of seeing every player from all around the World on TV all the time, it has kind of taken the shine off World Cups. Reason being is there are hardly any real surprises or seeing players who are awesome for the first time in big tournaments.  It used to be great when you saw players you had never heard of showing skills you had never seen before, now we see these guys do it every other week on TV. 

Just now, H2 said:

At least you have a sense of humour :fonzie:

I just like how people can turn the written and said word into a force for good. 

15 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I just like how people can turn the written and said word into a force for good. 

It's a shame you can't teach some others.

2 minutes ago, H2 said:

It's a shame you can't teach some others.

JKB is bursting with quick-witted good folk. Just some cynicism seems to overwhelm it.

Keep up the fight

Calebs Grandad
12 hours ago, Zlatanable said:

'Even the dogs run too, the Neapolitans are coming

Sick with cholera, victims of the earthquake, you never washed with soap.

Napoli sh!t! Napoli cholera!

You are the shame of the whole of Italy.

Neapolitan, work hard

because for Maradona you'll have to sell your ass too!'

Even the dogs run too, the Lochenders are coming

Sick with Methadone, victims of the burnt spoon, you never washed with soap.

Hibees sh!t! Hibees Junkies!

You are the shame of the whole of Edinburgh.

Lochenders, work hard

because for McNulty you'll have to sell your ass too!'

3 hours ago, NB GIN said:

You having a laugh 😂 

Thats a myth he had good players both at the WC and at Napoli.

He was unbelievable but this “he won it by himself”chat is nonsense.

22 hours ago, H2 said:

Ha Ha... The same ones as Maradona - How are you?

All good, keeping the cabin fever at bay so far!

1 hour ago, Riccarton3 said:

How big a cheat was he? I can't remember seeing anything

:robboyas:maybe you need to go to church.

portobellojambo1

I watched the film last night and I'm old enough to have seen, whether live or on TV/film, most of the players mentioned at various points in this thread. Diego Maradona was a very good footballer, I've also seen many others who were very good at the game, not all in the same mould as Maradona but for what they did for their clubs/country they were vey good.

I think what I became more involved in watching last night was how he either was or chose to be influenced by others during his life in Naples and how those others quickly distanced themselves from him when it all started going wrong.

Edited by portobellojambo1

Enjoyed it.

Might seem a strange thing to post but I don't feel he fulfilled his full potential. Not as a footballer, of course, but rather his career path and where he spent it. The off field stuff would have had an impact on that I suppose but, considering all the big clubs in Europe, it seems odd that, after Barca, he ended up at Napoli. And stayed there for so long. Perhaps "baggage" was too much of an issue for Juve, Milan, Inter, Bayern...? 

Some of the lyrics of those football songs were a tad bizarre, though. Lost in translation, perhaps?

Edited by martoon

John Findlay
5 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

86 Argentinian winning team was imho far superior to the 90 Argentinian that reached the final playing for the most part Turgid football. 

Football all about opinions. For me Pele is still the greatest player I've ever seen.

gorgie rd eh11
2 hours ago, Jamboelite said:

It's nonsense that he won things himself but neither Argentina or Napoli would have won the trophies without him. He was the difference.

2 hours ago, Jamboelite said:

30 minutes ago, gorgie rd eh11 said:

It's nonsense that he won things himself but neither Argentina or Napoli would have won the trophies without him. He was the difference.

Both correct. A decent team needs a special player to succeed. If not possible then 2/3 high quality players added to a decent team can make the difference. 

Edited by martoon

He stayed with Napoli for 7 seasons which seemed too long. Should have got out of Naples sooner but no top club wanted him after his infamous time at Barca. Lifestyle and drugs and connections with the Giuliano family in Naples took its toll.

Fozzyonthefence
9 hours ago, queensferryjambo said:

That's because the myth that they were bang average is perpetuated to this day. In 1990 Argentina were boring and quite defensive if I remember correctly although Caniggia and Maradona were really good. Don't remember 94 apart from Maradona looking out his nut when he scored before a failed drug test :)  

Going back to 86 Most of the Argentina team played in South America their whole careers and no SKY Sports, BT Sport etc in those days. Basically after major tournaments you just never seen much of them anywhere again. You only really saw South American players if they went to European clubs and played at the highest level in those days. Maradona was obviously one of those players who made it in Europe with Napoli. Even then we rarely ever got to see week in week out European club football.

If you want a quick example of how bang average the other players in the team were - Valdano was the main striker for Real Madrid with a goal ratio of a goal ever 2 games. He played with Madrid from 84 to 87 winning 2 league titles, a league cup and 2 UEFA cups. He also scored goals in two UEFA cup finals in 1984/85 & 1985/86 winning both times. He scored 4 goals in the 86 World Cup including one in the final. Not bad going in club football or that World Cup. The other players on the whole were very good that tournament. 

IMO Maradona was given a lot of credit in the 86 World Cup (very rightly so as well) as he had bounced back so well from the disaster of the 82 World Cup. No doubting he was also awesome 86 and the best player in the tournament but he really did not do it himself IMO.

Let's face it with Maradona playing the way he did that year you could have been the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th best players in the World playing in that team and you wouldn't have been noticed :) 

One thing I will also say is since the advent of seeing every player from all around the World on TV all the time, it has kind of taken the shine off World Cups. Reason being is there are hardly any real surprises or seeing players who are awesome for the first time in big tournaments.  It used to be great when you saw players you had never heard of showing skills you had never seen before, now we see these guys do it every other week on TV. 

He single handedly beat England. 😁

Fozzyonthefence
4 hours ago, John Findlay said:

86 Argentinian winning team was imho far superior to the 90 Argentinian that reached the final playing for the most part Turgid football. 

Football all about opinions. For me Pele is still the greatest player I've ever seen.

I don’t really remember much about them.  I remember the Scotland games and Maradona’s performances / goals.

I never saw Pele play and the similarities beteeen Messi and Maradona are astonishing when you look at the goals they’ve both scored with that ball just looking like it was stuck to their (left) foot.

Taking into account that none of the 3 are what we’d call strikers though, Messi and Ronaldo are streets ahead of Maradona in terms of goalscoring.  A lot of that, however, could be down to how good Serie A was and how difficult it was to score goals in that league so probably not a fair comparison.

Francis Albert
On 21/03/2020 at 10:23, H2 said:

Who was Mckay?

Edited by Francis Albert

7 hours ago, martoon said:

Enjoyed it.

Might seem a strange thing to post but I don't feel he fulfilled his full potential. Not as a footballer, of course, but rather his career path and where he spent it. The off field stuff would have had an impact on that I suppose but, considering all the big clubs in Europe, it seems odd that, after Barca, he ended up at Napoli. And stayed there for so long. Perhaps "baggage" was too much of an issue for Juve, Milan, Inter, Bayern...? 

Some of the lyrics of those football songs were a tad bizarre, though. Lost in translation, perhaps?

I thought it was pretty clear in the doc that the Mafia paid over the odds for him and the president wouldn't sell him when he had achieved everything and wanted to go. If he had got out of Napoli then I'd like to think he would have continued to flourish