• H2

• IveSeenTheLight

• ri Alban

• Fozzyonthefence

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, gorgie rd eh11 said:

Best player ever.

In terms of raw genius, winning a world cup on his own and charisma, he stands alone.  In recent years, I think Messi has reached near his level, what is it about Argentina producing that kind of talent?!

11 hours ago, crichiejambos said:

If you want a football fix...on tomorrow night ch4 9pm 

... and thanks for the heads up.  I wanted to see it when the movie came out last year but didn't have the time with two young one's.  Noticed Amazon Prime are doing it.... for £4.49, bandits!

'

12 hours ago, gorgie rd eh11 said:

Best player ever.

if you exclude Pele, Zidane, Cruyff, Best, Eusebio, Greaves, McKay, Muller, Beckenbaur, Gullit,  Beckham, Messi, Di Stefano, Puskas, Maldini, Zico, Plantini, Rossi, Baggio,  Saurez, Rumminigge, Iniesta, Ronaldo (Port), Ronaldo (Braz), and so on. 

Most overrated rated player ever, biggest recognition is for cheating.

Diadora Van Basten
22 minutes ago, H2 said:

if you exclude Pele, Zidane, Cruyff, Best, Eusebio, Greaves, McKay, Muller, Beckenbaur, Gullit,  Beckham, Messi, Di Stefano, Puskas, Maldini, Zico, Plantini, Rossi, Baggio,  Saurez, Rumminigge, Iniesta, Ronaldo (Port), Ronaldo (Braz), and so on. 

That’s nonsense he is the 2nd best player that ever lived.

58 minutes ago, H2 said:

Look at me, type of post!!!! 🤪

gorgie rd eh11
1 hour ago, H2 said:

:lol:

It's all about opinion. But if that's a serious list. :lol:

Beckham better than Maradona. :vrface:

2 hours ago, H2 said:

Still on those drugs that cause you to talk nonsense after all these years Hammy?

1 hour ago, shona77 said:

Incredible watch. Some of the non-football stuff going on around him was insane.

The footage of him playing is remarkable. 

That’s what stunned me , he was hounded everywhere he went , day or night to the extreme. 

39 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

Still on those drugs that cause you to talk nonsense after all these years Hammy?

Ha Ha... The same ones as Maradona - How are you?

And so the debate begins....

For me...

1. Pele...sublime...no flaws. 

2. Maradona...single handedly won a world cup with an average team around him...tainted though.

3. Messi...as good as the 2 above but never produced it at a WC...gets kicked, gets up.

4. Ronaldo...incredible work ethic and desire along with undoubted talent...gets kicked, rolls around.

5. Best...without the booze he could've been the next Pele.

He is the best for me but I'm too young to have seen Pele properly and I know I would have loved puskas too.

Madonna got hacked all over the place. In today's game he would have kept Messi out of a team (or been unstoppable alongside him).

17 minutes ago, weaz1981 said:

He is the best for me but I'm too young to have seen Pele properly and I know I would have loved puskas too.

Madonna got hacked all over the place. In today's game he would have kept Messi out of a team (or been unstoppable alongside him).

Aye. We all know that players could be more physical years ago. 

Players get more space and time on the ball now in certain areas you never really used to. Most teams played on the front foot from bygone days and wanted to go toe to toe. 

The argument could be that it’s harder to break down a team sitting in these days but they start off in that manner. The likes of Maradona forced teams sub -consciously to sit back as a game wore on. 

To split truly great players people will look at what they’ve achieved, where they’ve played etc...but on talent alone Maradona and Messi were/are truly incredible at doing something with the ball in full flight. 

Ronaldo can rightly be put up there, no question. To do the damage at the toughest end of the park time and again, year after year, shouldn’t be under appreciated. 

5 hours ago, H2 said:

I had forgotten how good these players were.... 

Maradona took some amount of punishment.  What a player though and we (of a certain age) nearly saw him play at Tynecastle.

18 minutes ago, Yoda said:

Maradona took some amount of punishment.  What a player though and we (of a certain age) nearly saw him play at Tynecastle.

Yip...had JC scored when one on one with Aumann, we would've had Napoli in the semi

Francis Albert

Saw it a few weeks ago. Strongly recommended. His sudden fall from grace in Naples after raising the team and the city to new heights was sad.

scott herbertson

I'm on the film committee of our local film society which puts on films every couple of weeks at our local Arts Centre (sadly season's cancelled now) and we had this on a few weeks back. Excellent film though as our projectionist had had an op I had to stand in which was a bit nerve racking  Definitely worth a watch or recording for later

19 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

I'm on the film committee of our local film society which puts on films every couple of weeks at our local Arts Centre (sadly season's cancelled now) and we had this on a few weeks back. Excellent film though as our projectionist had had an op I had to stand in which was a bit nerve racking  Definitely worth a watch or recording for later

Showing your age Scott, you'll get it on  4 OD, catch up. No beta max recorder required 😉

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Don't miss it.

Watched it in that time gone by you could go your holiday on a plane. 

How I miss those days 

scott herbertson
34 minutes ago, EH11 said:

Showing your age Scott, you'll get it on  4 OD, catch up. No beta max recorder required 😉

Oh aye, thon ketchup thingy

rudi must stay
1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

I thought it was pretty boring. One or two interesting tidbits but on the whole a bit of a let down. 

Not up there with Amy or Senna (same director )

gashauskis9

I was born in 1978 and appreciate I missed the opportunity to see some of the all time greats such as Pele, Beckenbaur, Cruyff etc, but Diego was the greatest.  

gashauskis9
10 hours ago, H2 said:

🤣🤣🤣

Class of 75
10 hours ago, H2 said:

As good as some of those players were aside from Pele and Messi, Maradona was streets ahead. As an 11 year old watching the World Cup in 86 with one man single handedly destroying the competition was a sight to behold. For me the picture that sums it up was him with the ball taunting 8 Belgian defenders. Yes he cheated but the ability he had was beyond compare. 

Edited by Class of 75

3 minutes ago, Class of 75 said:

As good as some of those players were aside from Pele and Messi, Maradona was streets ahead. As an 11 year old watching the World Cup in 86 with one man single handedly destroying the competition was a sight to behold. For me the picture that sums it up was him with the ball taunting 8 Belgian defenders. Yes he cheated but the ability he had was beyond compare. 

https://i.postimg.cc/h4mcBWxW/D0-ED7410-3-EA5-4040-BF16-82104-A9-F556-C.jpgD0-ED7410-3-EA5-4040-BF16-82104-A9-F556-

the picture is a tad misleading the Belgium players weren’t lined up to take him on they’d just broken up from a free kick wall and the camera caught it as it looked like they were.

Edited by Angel eyes

Fozzyonthefence
11 hours ago, H2 said:

Not enough emojis can do that nonsense justice!  Only someone who knows nothing about football or a bitter Englishman would come up with that.  Or an attention seeking troll.  So which is it?!

Beckham, Greaves, Rossi, Brazilian Ronaldo. 😂. Did you ever see Rossi play? He was nothing special.  

Fozzyonthefence
2 minutes ago, obua said:

All the footage shows him holding the World Cup.seemed a bit selfish (look at me I won it kind of thing).

Well he did to be fair.  

Just now, Fozzyonthefence said:

Well he did to be fair.  

After I typed that I was going to edit but it’s still a team game.

Fozzyonthefence
4 minutes ago, obua said:

After I typed that I was going to edit but it’s still a team game.

Yes, even Maradona and Pele needed team mates as 11 would always beat 1 but that really was a 1 man team!

Had the privilege of watching him in friendly at hampden 1979 ripped Scotland apart gotta be the best player I've seen

Diadora Van Basten

When I watched Maradona play it was like the opposition were playing in slow motion and Maradona was buzzing round at double speed around them.

6 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

He could have been at tynecastle. Thanks very much John colquhoun.  

No quite sure if your serious 

4 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

'Even the dogs run too, the Neapolitans are coming

Sick with cholera, victims of the earthquake, you never washed with soap.

Napoli sh!t! Napoli cholera!

You are the shame of the whole of Italy.

Neapolitan, work hard

because for Maradona you'll have to sell your ass too!'

That's offensive singing done properly 😀 No safe space inclusiveness there...

5 hours ago, cb1874 said:

Yip...had JC scored when one on one with Aumann, we would've had Napoli in the semi

Ffs there was still an hour of the game to go if JC had scored it was never a guarantee we would win the game