Post-Administration Signings

The Paille Man

The Paille Man

A short survey to keep self-isolating Hearts supporters occupied during social lockdown. 

Looking for fans to select their top 10 and worst 10 signings of the post-administration era. Link to the survey is as follows:

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/H8JM7D5

For clarity, this includes all players signed between the 2014 summer and 2020 January transfer windows but not players signed initially for the U20s (e.g. Keena, Zanatta, Roy).

Thanks in advance for your input.

upgotheheads
11 minutes ago, Bozi said:

Rather damning indictment how hard it was to pick a top 10 and also to limit the disappointments to 10

And how little difference there was between the two.

4 minutes ago, JamboAndrew said:

I like to think I'm a hearts fan. But I had to stop at a few names and think, who was that again?

Me too

The worst part for me was that Adam Eckersley had to be in my top 10, prior to Hickeys emergence he was the only decent left back signed in the whole of the last 6 years...and we have had a LOT of left backs

Could have kept going with the poor signings. 

Shocking how bad our recruitment has been. Need a total clear out of that department. 

Preference would be to give someone like JJ a role on the board but bring in a DOF/ Sporting director with a track record. Ultimately, you get what you pay for. A lot of our signings were pointless gambles and thats what we got. 

HardcoreJambo

We have signed some true guff in recent years. After looking at the list of players I'm not at all surprised by where we currently sit in the league table. Levein 😡

Japan Jambo

any who have found ten for the top are far more generous in spirit than i am. so far have picked two I'm happy with, will wander into mediocrity and see what else I can dredge up.  suppose I best give credit for initial contribution... 

Think my top 10 was:

Mclaughlin

Smith

Boyce

Naismith

Souttar

Milinkovic

Lafferty

Berra?

Rossi?

Sow?

? - I forgot the last 3 :D 

Interesting that the vast majority of our success stories have been players with experience of british football. 

9 minutes ago, OTT said:

Think my top 10 was:

Mclaughlin

Smith

Boyce

Naismith

Souttar

Milinkovic

Lafferty

Berra?

Rossi?

Sow?

? - I forgot the last 3 :D 

Interesting that the vast majority of our success stories have been players with experience of british football. 

Boyce is more likely in my most disappointing than my top 10. So much expectations, especially after that debut. He’s maybe a bit injured but he’s been disappointing since. 

The rest seem about right I’d think. 

7 minutes ago, Dayman said:

Boyce is more likely in my most disappointing than my top 10. So much expectations, especially after that debut. He’s maybe a bit injured but he’s been disappointing since. 

The rest seem about right I’d think. 

Kinda see what you mean but it's the "type" of signing we've needed for years so he made it in almost on what he's done pre Hearts and I'm convinced he'll come good.

For me, one of or both of Prince and Gomis need to be in there. Perfect signings for where we were at at the time.

Djoums in too.

18 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Kinda see what you mean but it's the "type" of signing we've needed for years so he made it in almost on what he's done pre Hearts and I'm convinced he'll come good.

For me, one of or both of Prince and Gomis need to be in there. Perfect signings for where we were at at the time.

Djoums in too.

Yeah, ability wise he’s too good for us probably. Application has been a different thing though. Take away the rangers game and his reputation and he’s been a dud. He’s a brilliant player, hopefully we will see it next year! 

totally agree on prince and gomis 

Say What Again

The second question was tougher than any exam question I ever faced 😕 

If it helps, you could easily eliminate any spoilt papers (Hibs infiltrators) by easily excluding anyone returning a completed survey without Michael Smith as an answer to question 1. 

Салатные палочки

Tough picking the worst. So many terrible players on that list. Had to go with those who were given more than a few games to probe themselves and turned out to be awful. 

Bad:

Oshaniwa

El Hassanoui

Avdidaj

Grzelak

Smith-Brown

Vanecek

Martin

Anderson

Doyle

Sowah

Good:

Sow

Gomis

Djoum

Rossi

Berra

Souttar

Lafferty

Naismith 

Haring

McLaughlin

Berra

Smith

Lafferty

Djoum

Sow

Naismith

Rossi

Souttar

Haring

Zeefuik 

I think that was my 10.

3 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

Rossi was in my top 10 which kind of says everything about our recruitment 

Rossi has been one of the best. Could count on one hand the amount of bad games he had for us.

2 hours ago, BigAlim said:

Bad:

Oshaniwa

El Hassanoui

Avdidaj

Grzelak

Smith-Brown

Vanecek

Martin

Anderson

Doyle

Sowah

Good:

Sow

Gomis

Djoum

Rossi

Berra

Souttar

Lafferty

Naismith 

Haring

McLaughlin

Surely Pereira has to be in the pish list!!

4 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

Sadly an indictment of the pish we have bought

How much money has been wasted on this dross over these years. I wonder if CL and AM are volunteering to give up more of their wages as is DS?

If CL had any pride he would have walked a long time ago. Supposed to be a Jambo, my arse the thing he worships more than anything is money even in hard times like this he is still hanging around.

13 hours ago, heartsfc_fan said:

God a few I forgot about:

Smith-Brown

Stockton

El Hassnaoui

Anderson

All 4 made my list :lol: 

We’ve had so much guff over the last few years but what’s even worse is how many of those players were disappointments. Some of the young players we’ve taken a chance on and it’s not worked out, ok it’s not the end of the world. But there are 7 or 8 players there who had been hyped up to be the next best thing for us yet turned out to be utterly dreadful.

36 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Who is Smith-Brown?

The Manchester City youngster who spent most of his time injured.

7 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Surely Pereira has to be in the pish list!!

That’s how pish the pish pile is! He didn’t make my list either!

jamboiain13

Berra
Souttar
Naisy
Gomis
McLaughlin
Smith
Zeefuik
Haring
Sow
Djoum

v

Oshaniwa
Doyle
Pereira
Martin
Vanacek
Wighton
Anderson
Kitchen
Stockton
Sowah

Ex member of the SaS

Can anyone post a list of players we have singed since the Championship? There has been something like 114 players signed since Levein was given control of the footballing side. Some were players the managers wanted, but ultimately being DoF, Levein had the final say.

Would love to see a complete list and then we can see who was good and who was not.

17 hours ago, The Paille Man said:

A short survey to keep self-isolating Hearts supporters occupied during social lockdown. 

Looking for fans to select their top 10 and worst 10 signings of the post-administration era. Link to the survey is as follows:

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/H8JM7D5

For clarity, this includes all players signed between the 2014 summer and 2020 January transfer windows but not players signed initially for the U20s (e.g. Keena, Zanatta, Roy).

Thanks in advance for your input.

Very interesting post. Rather depressing when you see the money that has been wasted. Poor quality signings or / and bad management we will never know. A mixture of both I expect. Very frustrating. 

Struggled to find best signings after 7. Worst, well I had that done before I even got to the second half of the list!

Craig Levein should be sent a full copy and be asked how much money he has wasted away.

15 hours ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Seriously worried that I didn’t pick Oshaniwa 

It is surprising, but there are more than 10 who contributed less, a couple who I'm thinking, did i see them play?

I gave up as I struggled with the 'best' and I had ticked 10 before I even got past B for the worst.

There are actually at least 10 decent signings in there. The problem is that very few of them arrived recently.

Finding 10 disappointing ones is a whole lot easier, though I found it easier when I focused on the ones who were truly crap (especially when hyped up in advance) as opposed to mainly ‘meh’.

The Paille Man

Bumping this back up for another day or so before the responses are finalised. Please share your thoughts if you haven't already.

Djoum, Gomis, Lafferty, McLaughlin, Ozturk, Rossi, Smith, Sow, Walker

The disappointing ones were those who came with buildup or reputation

Amankwaa, Cowie, Damour, El Hassnaoui, Kitchen, Martin, Mitchell, Oshiniwa, Tziolis, Vanacek.  Huge numbers of other rotten signings like MacLean and Wighton though

I think I might actually have forgotten Smith in my best 10. One of those cases of such a blindingly obvious answer that it didn’t even cross my mind. 

Just noticed a distinct lack of Sammon, he'd surely be in the worst ten. Gonna attempt a first xi:

____________________Pereira

Shaughnessy__Hughes__Grzelak__Oshaniwa 

Wighton__Anderson__Martin__Amankwaa

___________Stockton__Sammon

Edited by BigAlim

17 hours ago, BigAlim said:

Just noticed a distinct lack of Sammon, he'd surely be in the worst ten. Gonna attempt a first xi:

____________________Pereira

Shaughnessy__Hughes__Grzelak__Oshaniwa 

Wighton__Anderson__Martin__Amankwaa

___________Stockton__Sammon

I based my worst signings on disappointment levels. The Sammon signing turned out exactly how I thought it would.