JKB v .Net - 2006 - The first charity match

Shaggy2

Searching through an old hard drive earlier I came across the full game which I will upload to YouTube tomorrow. In the meantime I'm sure some of the guys on here would be interested to see this. Great memories but some really bad football. :D

We make the current Hearts look like the 1970 Brazil team!

Edited by Shaggy2

Sickener losing out on a clean sheet bonus to a Hibs style hoof up the park! The “meg” for the 4th(?) was class. 

25 minutes ago, savage said:

Big bri whitson not covering himself in glory at hibs first😂😂

🤦‍♂️ Big Bri’s a legend but wee Aston Sloan was fantastic that day. Never gave them a moment’s peace and it was a big blow when he couldn’t make ER the following year. No idea if he made subsequent appearance(s) as I retired after Easter Road. 

There was a time the websites liked each other enough for that to happen?  Great initiative and would be good if it could maybe launched again as some kind of tournament at different age groups to perhaps launch money for the Gorgie and Leith areas when we get through the pandemic if there’s a chance of doing so?  I’m sure the clubs wouldn’t reject this considering the pitches will be out of action for a long period of time? 

Even a capital aid event or something like that? 

Would definitely be up for that. Looks like a few of the hearts guys had played to a decent standard in that 8-1 game although it might be due to how bad the hibs boys were, that goalie 🤣

Pretty sure I remember there being a match a few years back at tynie against hearts legends but you had to pay a wedge to be involved.

Clerry Jambo
15 hours ago, Shaggy2 said:

Searching through an old hard drive earlier I came across the full game which I will upload to YouTube tomorrow. In the meantime I'm sure some of the guys on here would be interested to see this. Great memories but some really bad football. :D

My brother played in that one - the flying right fool back!  Hahahahaha 

great idea it was and at end of the day for a good cause

15 hours ago, Shaggy2 said:

Boy scored direct from a corner :lol:

Unbelievable scenes.

2 hours ago, Mr Rabbit said:

Would definitely be up for that. Looks like a few of the hearts guys had played to a decent standard in that 8-1 game although it might be due to how bad the hibs boys were, that goalie 🤣

Pretty sure I remember there being a match a few years back at tynie against hearts legends but you had to pay a wedge to be involved.

There was a fans v fans game in May? 2014. I scored in a 7-3 or 7-4 win :yas:

King Of The Cat Cafe
59 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

I couldn't get involved in something like that, I wouldn't know who to kick 1st.

Some posters would not know which team to play for ;)

3 hours ago, Clerry Jambo said:

My brother played in that one - the flying right fool back!  Hahahahaha 

great idea it was and at end of the day for a good cause

Flying? More like cruising pace. 😁

Look at those amateurs getting on with it on a tattie field.   ::troll:: 

5 hours ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

Boy scored direct from a corner :lol:

Unbelievable scenes.

Was it no two direct from corners? :rofl:

Unfortunately it became a bit of a closed shop selection wise. My son, former very decent player at a good level went to every training session. Did really well in fact he was a cut above most of the lads but some bloke who was a mate of the organiser rocked up on the last night with a pal who wasn’t even a Hearts fan and they both got picked. Happened several times over the years apparently.

22 hours ago, Shaggy2 said:

great experience!! 

2 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Unfortunately it became a bit of a closed shop selection wise. My son, former very decent player at a good level went to every training session. Did really well in fact he was a cut above most of the lads but some bloke who was a mate of the organiser rocked up on the last night with a pal who wasn’t even a Hearts fan and they both got picked. Happened several times over the years apparently.

sounds a bit like school football in my day, the dad who was the coach played his hopeless laddie, giving others who could play zilch and then they would quickly lose interest 

Suspect Device
On 20/03/2020 at 00:03, Shaggy2 said:

Left back had a decent left peg 👍

That Hibs goalie thou 😂

14 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Can’t speak for subsequent years but that definitely wasn’t the case in the original game. All the guys in that squad (both squads) supported their team. We did introduce a couple that had missed the trial night but they’d only missed one or two training sessions. All our squad trained together from December til the game with no late introductions. D4 and C4irns will verify this. 

1 hour ago, Shaggy2 said:

Can’t speak for subsequent years but that definitely wasn’t the case in the original game. All the guys in that squad (both squads) supported their team. We did introduce a couple that had missed the trial night but they’d only missed one or two training sessions. All our squad trained together from December til the game with no late introductions. D4 and C4irns will verify this. 

Pretty sure this was later on. The last couple of times it was played. Can’t remember the year. Training was down at Spartans ground

4 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Pretty sure this was later on. The last couple of times it was played. Can’t remember the year. Training was down at Spartans ground

I left after the ER game the following year. Both teams had a couple of serious players who played Saturday afternoon so you could see then it was going to become a bit competitive for ordinary Joe’s like me. I do remember suggesting it should be ST holders only as those would be the guys who supported the club and their allegiance could be verified. I didn’t think it was in the spirit of the charity that some Junior or Senior player just waltzed in after, as you point out, attending little or no training and as importantly, having never paid to see Hearts or Hibs play in years, if they even supported one of the two. Sadly, your post proved my fears were not unfounded. 

I was involved for a few years , fantastic bunch of lads . Trials were tough , training tougher and definitely zero nepotism . 
Guys like Savage will confirm every player was in on merit . 
we trained at Riccarton , invariably freezing cold but great nights. Guest coaches like Darren Murray , Gary Locke . 
Team breakfasts with guest speakers , great memories.

22 hours ago, King Of The Cat Cafe said:

Some posters would not know which team to play for ;)

23 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

I couldn't get involved in something like that, I wouldn't know who to kick 1st.

😂😂

11 minutes ago, Meadows said:

I was involved for a few years , fantastic bunch of lads . Trials were tough , training tougher and definitely zero nepotism . 
Guys like Savage will confirm every player was in on merit . 
we trained at Riccarton , invariably freezing cold but great nights. Guest coaches like Darren Murray , Gary Locke . 
Team breakfasts with guest speakers , great memories. A great time and very much enjoyed the first 3 matches I took part in. 

Agree M.  Thoroughly enjoyed the years I was involved. 

Honestly, can’t be appreciative enough to the people who gave up their time to coach and generally organise the event.

The charities were always the main thing but every aspect was taken seriously and I think that’s what made it memorable and worthwhile.  The training was excellent, the input and commitment by everyone was equally so. It wasn’t just a group of lads turning up for a kickabout, and afterwards the social event and fundraising aspect was run impeccably. 

Loved Gary Mackay's pep talk in The Orwell before the inaugural game above. 👍🏻

Would love another match to agreed.

Maybe this could be a way to kick start the football season whenever that may be? Get the players in the stands and they can boo us for a change :D

I'm nowhere near fit enough to do trials, not played properly since high school (had a trial at Heriot-Watt but it was during freshers week and I spewed at the side of the pitch after 5 mins and that was that).

Would donate my time to help film/production though. Never been in the gantry at Tynecastle.

Goldenhibby
On 20/03/2020 at 00:03, Shaggy2 said:

Thanks for this, think you kicked me up and down in the 1st half😄

1FA2E02C-75F2-4B93-AE89-B4D8F4ABBA5A.png

17 minutes ago, Goldenhibby said:

Thanks for this, think you kicked me up and down in the 1st half😄

1FA2E02C-75F2-4B93-AE89-B4D8F4ABBA5A.png

Haha, still marking you in that photo, Bill! 😀

Riddley Walker

Went to one training session for this, must have been 2010 or 2011 and ruptured my ACL. Haven't played a game since. 

Was an absolute pleasure to not only play in that team but also be captain on the day.    Great bunch of guys with no egos , just hard working footballers who knew what it meant to wear a maroon strip at Tynie against Hibs !!