Wage cut for players and staff (Statement on 24/4)

Bunny Munro

2 hours ago, busby1985 said:

The Players have

Failed to perform under Levein, MacPhee and Stendel. 

equalled then worst ever run in the clubs 146 year history. 

won only 3 league matches in the whole of 2019? 

3 league wins at home in about 18 months? 

won only 2 league matches in the whole of 2020? 

Currently sit 4 points adrift at the bottom of the league having just lost to St Mirren in the biggest match of the season without registering a single shot on target. 

Rebelled against the new manager making them attend match days if they aren’t “fit”. 

Rebelled against being asked to report to training daily when “injured”. 

Rebelled against being asked to train harder and to learn a new formation and playing style. 

Ran to the press to air and leak negative stories about the club. 

and have now refused the clubs request to take a drop in wages to safe guard the future of not only the club but the non playing staff who spend their days making the players life’s easier. 

This group of players better negotiate terminations of their contracts ASAP as none of them, Naismith aside, will ever be forgiven IMO. I’ve never known a group of players so out of touch with us, the fans. They have no shame, which we knew with their performances over the past two seasons but I never knew just how much they didn’t care about us or the club.

Sack them all. 

Agreed! 

The ones who have refused to take the cut can all **** off. 

Who do these football players think they are ? 

Just been reading about highly paid professional players getting their wage cheque as normal while other staff at the clubs getting laid off and depending on the government scheme. 

I've been sickened by the attitude of the football industry in this country North and south of the border. 

Players still wanting their full whack when others are losing their jobs. 

Clubs bitching about League position while thousands are dying. 

Compare the attitude here with clubs in Europe. 

Football clubs are meant to be part of the communities they are based in. 

It's the survival of the richest. 

Compare the attitude elsewhere in the country, people helping each other, political affiliations put to one side for the most part, hundreds of thousands of volunteers wanting to help despite being laid off from their own jobs. 

A great effort from heath professionals and carers actually putting their life's on the line. 

None of that matters as long as footballers don't have to take a pay cut. 

I will find it very difficult to lend support to the majority of the players when or if professional football restarts. 

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Mikey1874

• soonbe110

• Last Laff

Hang on. Have I missed something? 

Have the players refused a pay cut? 

:vrwow: unreal if so. Will quite happily boo them till I'm blue in the face. If they have,  I'll applaud them, even being as shite as they are. 

8 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Sorry why should Premier league footballers be made to donate to the nhs? 

NHS is stretched and underfunded all while dealing with a huge crisis that affects everyone one way or another.

Those who are the richest should consider where the money comes from (or rather where it doesn't go) to make them rich and think where their morals lie. Some maybe couldn't give a shit and live in a bubble, others might want to get involved and care about the overall outcome for everyone not just their type or class.

(I presume you mean EPL stars earning six figures a week, which is over 60x what a doctor who saves lives earns!!!)

Edited by kila

davemclaren
7 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

This is where FoH can make an immediate stand. We can all "defer" our payments indefinitely if the players do this. FoH payments have actually increased during this and the players aren't lifting a finger to help. Absolute tossers.

We better think how the law of unintended consequences will impact this. Personally, I think this issue will mostly sort itself, one way or other over the next days/weeks.  

Unknown user
5 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

We are not currently fan-owned and even if we were that doesn’t give every fan the right to know all contract details for every employee. Is your salary, terms and conditions etc in the public domain?  Do the share holders of your employer know the precise details of every employees contract of employment?  I suspect the answer to both questions is no. Why should it be different for Hearts players regardless of who owns the company. 

Yes and yes, but so what?

The reasons for knowing who's accepted what are pretty obvious. 

4 hours ago, Super T said:

Yes it is. In the same way green keepers are maintaining golf courses.

The pitch is key infrastructure

My mate's a green keeper who hasn't been called back in, doesn't look like it's in the post either. 

Nookie Bear
1 hour ago, eyesandears said:

Section C, Article 12 of the SPFL Player Contract allows for the player contract to be suspended if the SFA suspend the game entirely or in part. 

The game was indeed suspended by the SFA on 13th March. The default was then that all player contracts at all clubs were suspended at that point however in reality all player contracts have continued to be honoured by clubs even though they could have been suspended. Most clubs weren't aware of the fine detail of the contracts and most wouldn't have been in a position to move so quickly.

As others have said the 50%-of-salary offer made by Hearts from 1st April certainly beats 0% which the club is entitled to implement.

It is important to recognise though Hearts cannot sack the players for not accepting such a reduction. The contract is only suspended and not terminated. Both parties would need to agree to the termination. The moment football resumes the contract clicks in again with the player on full pay and benefits.

So...Hearts (and any club) can stop salaries to the players until the football starts again but cannot terminate contracts without paying the full amount due on that contract?

That is not what Budge did though, is it? She offered a take the reduced payment or leave on a free but with no money paid to reflect the outstanding contract?

Edit: and if a salary is suspended, is that player obliged to keep fit or engage in any official duties? Probably a moot point to be fair.

Edited by Nookie Bear

TyphoonJambo
1 hour ago, Squirt said:

Argyll & Bute mate. Not ideal considering it’s not particularly rife there as far as I know. 

Hope your mates ok bud. 

3 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

We better think how the law of unintended consequences will impact this. Personally, I think this issue will mostly sort itself, one way or other over the next days/weeks.  

Yes, struggling to see any positives coming from everyone deferring their FoH payments. 
Im sure it will be fixed this week and also sure that she has them tied up in knots. SPFA that is. Another poster made the point that 50% of their current pay is much better than £2,500 per month. Think the SPFA trying to prevent all clubs going down the suspension of contracts route is the main issue at play. 

6 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Yes and yes, but so what?

The reasons for knowing who's accepted what are pretty obvious. 

My mate's a green keeper who hasn't been called back in, doesn't look like it's in the post either. 

Don’t think so. 

Kidd’s Boots
6 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Why don’t the players qualify? 

Being in furlough effectively means that you cannot carry out normal duties. If players were put in furlough, they under no obligation to maintain fitness levels. Currently, they have been given a programme to maintain a level of fitness during this period so they can carry out their contractual duties on return. To carry out duties a contract is required. It's not as simple as anyone who earns circa £3100 can get £2500 covered by the government.

I would gladly buy next seasons ST and increase my donation to FOH. 

Not if its going to be used to bow down to the demands of the players demanding full pay, deferred or not. 

If any of them are intending to be here next season they better put ear plugs on during the games. 😕

The Internet
7 minutes ago, kila said:

NHS is stretched and underfunded all while dealing with a huge crisis that affects everyone one way or another.

Those who are the richest should consider where the money comes from (or rather where it doesn't go) to make them rich and think where their morals lie. Some maybe couldn't give a shit and live in a bubble, others might want to get involved and care about the overall outcome for everyone not just their type or class.

(I presume you mean EPL stars earning six figures a week, which is over 60x what a doctor who saves lives earns!!!)

First of all, that bit in brackets is hysterical daily mail shite. Get it in the bin. 

Also, a national health service shouldn't be relying on handouts from rich sportsmen. Sure it would be nice if rich people donated all their money but it shouldn't be needed. You need to go way higher up the chain than footballers to find where the problem is. Footballers are just an easy target for the hard of thinking. 

maroongoals
2 minutes ago, luckydug said:

I would gladly buy next seasons ST and increase my donation to FOH. 

Not if its going to be used to bow down to the demands of the players demanding full pay, deferred or not. 

If any of them are intending to be here next season they better put ear plugs on during the games. 😕

Agree with this

Deferring wages only kicks the problem down the road and creates a massive problem which still needs to be overcame later down the road.

Tell me, are people getting the 20% wage cut employers are dishing out back at a later date? I don't think many people are being offered the opportunity to deffer wages, so why the hell should these failures who are earning thousands of pounds a week be granted that? Utterly ridiculous and will not be happy if Budge caves.

Edited by OTT

7 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

?????

I think what he means is that even on half pay most players would be over the threshold for the government scheme. 

Office staff and trainee players would likely get help. 

Really some football players are just parasites. 

Everyone else is making sacrifices but not these ****ers. 

The statement from the PFA would’ve read something like “we have been asked to represent a number of Hearts players” or something similar if this wasn’t universally supported by the players. The players will have agreed to the statement and agreed to the press release. We’d also have heard from the players happy to accept the 50% wage cut as they’ll know this wasn’t going to be well received by the fans. Now I understand some are claiming that some players have accepted the cuts, if true then I’ll apologise to them for bad mouthing them however, from what I have heard, this is backed by all the players outside Naismith. 

husref musemic
51 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

Yeah, I don't think we will be able to keep pausing the inevitable.  It's got this far and by the looks of it the club have done good by them already and deserve some respect from the players.  They need to do the right thing and accept the %50 now or it's nothing until whenever.

I work as a contractor and got the boot last Thursday alongside every other subby in the company. No 50% offer or rep to negotiate. 

then I remember the last 18 months of performances & given the current pandemic situation. They clearly have no shame !

Just now, Mauricio Pinilla said:

First of all, that bit in brackets is hysterical daily mail shite. Get it in the bin. 

Also, a national health service shouldn't be relying on handouts from rich sportsmen. Sure it would be nice if rich people donated all their money but it shouldn't be needed. You need to go way higher up the chain than footballers to find where the problem is. Footballers are just an easy target for the hard of thinking. 

What is the average salary in the EPL? What is the average salary of a doctor? Reasonable comparison to make...

You're right, it is higher up the chain that's the problem. The government needs to tax the richest more, but the trouble is, the Tories are the party for the rich and choose not to. They also choose not to raise the wages of NHS staff or invest properly.

So in my eyes, highly paid footballers earning millions per year should ****ing sacrifice some money for the sake of the country's health system because it is so broken. Other rich ***** should too, those who have earned ridiculous amounts with more money than sense types. The way I see the world is folk only get stinking rich by ****ing over people - even if not directly, it doesn't matter, they are complicit.

CloustonHMFC

Deferring wages is simply not a viable option. Let’s be honest, there’s no way the season is restarting, it’ll either be ended as it is or made void. To defer the wages would be to give us a huge bill further down the line.

The players should either accept the 50% cut or have their contracts suspended under article 12. **** them, bunch of uninterested arseholes anyway. 

Fozzyonthefence
15 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

So...Hearts (and any club) can stop salaries to the players until the football starts again but cannot terminate contracts without paying the full amount due on that contract?

That is not what Budge did though, is it? She offered a take the reduced payment or leave on a free but with no money paid to reflect the outstanding contract?

Edit: and if a salary is suspended, is that player obliged to keep fit or engage in any official duties? Probably a moot point to be fair.

She probably didn’t know about Article 12 at the time and it now offers a get out clause for her.

Absolutely should name and shame the players who have snaked away and quite frankly, the lack of social awareness and compassion should mean they never play for Hearts again. Utterly disgusted by this. 

I'll quite happily booooooo them to buggery; Whining about not getting their grands a week as people die, lose family members and friends, lose their jobs and possibly more as a result. 

Unbelievable. 

I'm actually raging.

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, CloustonHMFC said:

Deferring wages is simply not a viable option. Let’s be honest, there’s no way the season is restarting, it’ll either be ended as it is or made void. To defer the wages would be to give us a huge bill further down the line.

The players should either accept the 50% cut or have their contracts suspended under article 12. **** them, bunch of uninterested arseholes anyway. 

Agreed but I think that’s why she asked for the 50% cut, is suspending their wages not just giving us a huge bill down the line too? 

CloustonHMFC
3 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

Absolutely should name and shame the players who have snaked away and quite frankly, the lack of social awareness and compassion should mean they never play for Hearts again. Utterly disgusted by this. 

I'll quite happily booooooo them to buggery; Whining about not getting their grands a week as people die, lose family members and friends, lose their jobs and possibly more as a result. 

Unbelievable. 

I'm actually raging.

Every single one of them who refuse a pay cut should have their contract suspended. Let them have **** all. 

Edited by CloustonHMFC

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

Unbelievable. 

I'm actually raging.

Let’s see if the names are leaked to the Sun 🤔?

CloustonHMFC
Just now, Pasquale for King said:

Agreed but I think that’s why she asked for the 50% cut, is suspending their wages not just giving us a huge bill down the line too? 

My understanding is a suspension of contract would mean no wages are due for the duration of the suspension so the wages wouldn’t build up. 

26 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

And if pay is being deferred we will likely have to up the price of STs/ admission charges, merchandise etc to make up the shortfall.  They will have to pay even more next season after putting their lives on the line.

Why do footballers and their pea brained worshippers think they should be ring-fenced from this crisis?

Yep.

The players have a cheek as they’ve been earning full pay for half arsed performances all season.

i can imagine when we get back to playing a few players will be told to FO and be punted.

Edited by Jamboelite

1 minute ago, CloustonHMFC said:

Every single one of them who refuse a pay cut should have their contract suspended. Let have **** all. 

Booted and never seen again would do me.

I'd rather get relegated playing under 13's than have those wankers representing Hearts. 

30 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I did balance it with the celebrations at the rangers game and winning at ER. 

Yeah, I'll miss it if 2 hours a week, but I really don't know what it is. 

Maybe as I said, age, indifference, us being shite, the overpaid players, the money, arguments, religion, politics, emotions, the repetitiveness. 

**** knows tbh. 

When is comes down to it, football is a distraction.  Like most sports.  Just a distraction.

This virus may change football forever.

Say we get no football till next year.  Lots of clubs go bust in Scotland, which is what I think will happen.  But only when the clubs down south start struggling to pay their huge wages, will it start the real panic.  People are already cancelling sports tv packages, as there is no sport to watch.  This will have a huge knock on effect if no games are played until next year.  No tv money, nobody betting......

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Let’s see if the names are leaked to the Sun 🤔?

Hope so. 

1 minute ago, Sarah O said:

Unbelievable. 

I'm actually raging.

All Ann needs to do is announce and thank the players that have. Let the fans put 2 + 2 together. 

Totally agree though. These players are an absolute disgrace. All they've done is take and now the club is on its knees with no income and they want to leave the staff with as little as possible through this uncertain time - Thats the impact of their actions. My heart is with the staff that have mortgage payments, not the players concerned about possibly having to miss their holiday to Dubai next year. 

Selfish arseholes not fit to wear the jersey. 

Guest ToqueJambo
23 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

True. I would sack everyone unwilling to take a cut now though - for their good and the club's. Whether the money to pay deferred wages comes from FoH out of necessity next season or just through ST sales, it would be an incredible insult for the players to take money off fans who will almost all have taken a huge financial hit while the players lose nothing. I don't see how any of them could show their face in Edinburgh let alone play for us again.

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, kila said:

What is the average salary in the EPL? What is the average salary of a doctor? Reasonable comparison to make...

You're right, it is higher up the chain that's the problem. The government needs to tax the richest more, but the trouble is, the Tories are the party for the rich and choose not to. They also choose not to raise the wages of NHS staff or invest properly.

So in my eyes, highly paid footballers earning millions per year should ****ing sacrifice some money for the sake of the country's health system because it is so broken. Other rich ***** should too, those who have earned ridiculous amounts with more money than sense types. The way I see the world is folk only get stinking rich by ****ing over people - even if not directly, it doesn't matter, they are complicit.

Absolutely. Average for a doctor is just over £100k and a football player in the EPL just over £3m. That’s capitalism.

adambraejambo

What the players going to threaten us with if we dont pay them....down tools and not win games when football resumes lol just do this article 12 thing now. Every one of them is free to leave and anyone who refuses to take a cut will not be featured again for the 1st team. No more appearance or bonus money. Play the kids they can hardly do any worse . 

2 minutes ago, OTT said:

All Ann needs to do is announce and thank the players that have. Let the fans put 2 + 2 together. 

Totally agree though. These players are an absolute disgrace. All they've done is take and now the club is on its knees with no income and they want to leave the staff with as little as possible through this uncertain time - Thats the impact of their actions. My heart is with the staff that have mortgage payments, not the players concerned about possibly having to miss their holiday to Dubai next year. 

Selfish arseholes not fit to wear the jersey. 

Ball is in Ann's court now. 

I think her actions thus far in the Covid Era have been spot on. 

I imagine she's not going to be overly delighted by this either. 

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, CloustonHMFC said:

My understanding is a suspension of contract would mean no wages are due for the duration of the suspension so the wages wouldn’t build up. 

Yeah that’s right. I think the players affected would probably sue though as that’s not applicable by law in the real world, unfortunately.

Not sure why players don't expect to take a hit when the whole world is in turmoil. Where do they think the money is coming from to pay the wages. 

I'm not sure why we have such a drama over these things when other clubs will be having their own problems soon enough but with less drama.

Just now, Sarah O said:

Unbelievable. 

I'm actually raging.

Just now, Sarah O said:

Booted and never seen again would do me.

I'd rather get relegated playing under 13's than have those wankers representing Hearts. 

Well we will still have Steven Naismith and Clevid Dikamona has said he will be back if asked. 

Reminds me of the admin season when Jamie Hammil, Jamie Mac and Ryan Stevenson were the only seniors in the side. 

We got through then and we'll get through this. 

Let's face it we can't do any worse anyway. 

CloustonHMFC
6 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yeah that’s right. I think the players affected would probably sue though as that’s not applicable by law in the real world, unfortunately.

They can’t sue, article 12 is entirely legal. 

7 minutes ago, adambraejambo said:

What the players going to threaten us with if we dont pay them....down tools and not win games when football resumes lol just do this article 12 thing now. Every one of them is free to leave and anyone who refuses to take a cut will not be featured again for the 1st team. No more appearance or bonus money. Play the kids they can hardly do any worse . 

Exactly! Aww the whole teams decided to cancel their contracts rather than accept a suspended contract? Oh dear were going to have to play the kids and might only win 5 games a season and possibly get relegated........ hang on a minute......

davemclaren
10 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

True. I would sack everyone unwilling to take a cut now though - for their good and the club's. Whether the money to pay deferred wages comes from FoH out of necessity next season or just through ST sales, it would be an incredible insult for the players to take money off fans who will almost all have taken a huge financial hit while the players lose nothing. I don't see how any of them could show their face in Edinburgh let alone play for us again.

I don’t disagree with the principle but can we actually legally terminate their contracts?

If we defer payments then when things get back to normal there should be no time off. They should be forced to be at Riccarton 5 days a week.