Wage cut for players and staff (Statement on 24/4)

Bunny Munro

Nookie Bear
2 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

We don't know what each individual player has said to their club. We do know that in Scotland, we have seen very little sign, Naismith apart, of any player coming out and saying I will take a cut. 

If they behaved like adults, they might find they get a little more respect.

Was Naismith going to chuck away a lucrative 3yr contract for the sake of a few months at reduced pay? He isn’t stupid. 

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Mikey1874

• soonbe110

• Last Laff

Kidd’s Boots
9 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Reads that way doesn’t it. Surely not 

Replied to the question earlier in the thread below

The players don't qualify for the 80% Government support, only the other full time employees i.e. admin, club store, ground staff etc. The PFA are asking the club to defer part of the players wages as other clubs have come out to say they will do. Which is all well and good for clubs who are guaranteed Premier League football the next time a season starts. In my opinion, AB would have done the same thing if she know that we were in the top flight, but until someone confirms this, then 50% is the prudent steps.

3 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

The players, whilst contractually correct, have made a right mess of this. 

They've misjudged things here, and as the news gets worse and worse over the next few weeks, they'll look more out of step with their base. 

It'll be a long road back for them and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a total clear out when all is said and done. 

Sadly I think the rag tops will hold them up as some kind of heroes standing up against the big bad club that is hearts. Then when we are still not playing football in 4-5 months time and the gravity of the whole situation is realised by everybody they will be thrown to the lions by the same folk that were lauding them.

29 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Button pressed on cancelling contracts 

and that will come back and bite us on the bottom based on the report in the press the other day.  Any player can take their complaint to FIFA and they can then decide to fine the club.  

51 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

They also have a duty to protect their employees.  Playing hardball with no compromise isn’t good ethics. 

I think that's what AB was trying to do.

If we continue to pay them full pay the players could, sooner or later, finish up with a 100% pay cut!

Like it or not the first duty is protect the club.  No club = no players=no pay.

41 minutes ago, Barack said:

We've spent the entire season to date, saying how much the majority of these players look like they don't give a **** about the eventual outcome.

Now we should be feeling sorry for their feelings getting hurt, while thousands of people die across the uk and the world...? C'mon, laff.

In month's from now, when we're still counting the financial and personal cost of this pandemic, will anyone really care what measures were taken in order to safeguard Hearts as a business. Or any business?! 

If other people's outside viewpoint of how Hearts handle this, figures high on their thinking, or multi-billion valued clubs like Tottenham or Newcastle, then re-evaluation of their priorities and perspective in life need addressed. Fast.

Aye, you’ve nailed it tbh 👍

31 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

The Players have

Failed to perform under Levein, MacPhee and Stendel. 

equalled then worst ever run in the clubs 146 year history. 

won only 3 league matches in the whole of 2019? 

3 league wins at home in about 18 months? 

won only 2 league matches in the whole of 2020? 

Currently sit 4 points adrift at the bottom of the league having just lost to St Mirren in the biggest match of the season without registering a single shot on target. 

Rebelled against the new manager making them attend match days if they aren’t “fit”. 

Rebelled against being asked to report to training daily when “injured”. 

Rebelled against being asked to train harder and to learn a new formation and playing style. 

Ran to the press to air and leak negative stories about the club. 

and have now refused the clubs request to take a drop in wages to safe guard the future of not only the club but the non playing staff who spend their days making the players life’s easier. 

This group of players better negotiate terminations of their contracts ASAP as none of them, Naismith aside, will ever be forgiven IMO. I’ve never known a group of players so out of touch with us, the fans. They have no shame, which we knew with their performances over the past two seasons but I never knew just how much they didn’t care about us or the club.

Sack them all. 

Bravo👍

I agree with most of the comments here.  If players think they should be paid 100% wages during a period where the employer has no income and the customerbase will have a % now out of work or on 80% of wages (up to 25k) then they can bolt.

They as a collective group have gave us nothing for 2 years and if they think they can risk the safety of our club after fans have put in over £10m then they will not have an easy ride when this is over.

Naismith and dikamona have came out of this with heads held high.   Right now it appears the rest want the money in full, even if they came back and asked for 25% deferred, show a bit come and go with the club and the fans.

Our playing squad has needed a full clear out for some time and this just reinforces the chickenhearted players we have continued to sign over the past 4 seasons

jamboinglasgow

To be fair to the spfa, they are looking after the players interests. I think it's short sighted. But the problem has been other clubs who are deluding themselves into thinking this will just be brief and not make hard decisions. They have been offering deferred wages so the spfa and players are using that to say there is no need for wage cuts. 

The reality of the situation will hit clubs and players will also realise their mistake, hopefully not too late.

The Mighty Thor
3 minutes ago, jamb0_1874 said:

Sadly I think the rag tops will hold them up as some kind of heroes standing up against the big bad club that is hearts. Then when we are still not playing football in 4-5 months time and the gravity of the whole situation is realised by everybody they will be thrown to the lions by the same folk that were lauding them.

We seem to have a real disconnect with the media. We'll get slaughtered for any moves we make, caught between a PFA with a hard on and a rotation of rent a gob no marks like McManus, Harper, Boyd.

The board need to prioritise survival. If that inconveniences some of our current squad then so be it. 

Like our lives, Football will have a very different landscape when all of this is over. 

Bazzas right boot

The bigger picture is that the SFA has to decide what the **** is happening. 

Clubs can then make decisions. 

The longer they hold on to thier fart the worse it will get for all clubs. 

Got a funny feeling, us, hibs and Aberdeen will be the worst effected. 

Celtic have cash reserves, most other clubs will have large %( not all but a good part as they pay lower wages anyway) of the wages covered by the 80% government initiative. 

Us, Aberdeen and Hibs are not rich enough to continue to pay as normal but also have players on contracts that the 80% rule upto £2500/ month won't touch the sides. 

Rangers, well just because they are generally a big mess. 

The SFA need to decide what is happening then clubs can deal with thier staff. 

Bazzas right boot
38 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

The Players have

Currently sit 4 points adrift at the bottom of the league having just lost to St Mirren in the biggest match of the season without registering a single shot on target. 

Rebelled against the new manager making them attend match days if they aren’t “fit”. 

Rebelled against being asked to train harder and to learn a new formation and playing style. 

and have now refused the clubs request to take a drop in wages to safe guard the future of not only the club but the non playing staff who spend their days making the players life’s easier. 

This group of players better negotiate terminations of their contracts ASAP as none of them, Naismith aside, will ever be forgiven IMO. I’ve never known a group of players so out of touch with us, the fans. They have no shame, which we knew with their performances over the past two seasons but I never knew just how much they didn’t care about us or the club.

Sack them all. 

Yip, and our manager who is just in the door has taken a pay cut. 

Stick them on the 80% upto £2500 and **** them. 

Once the SFA decide the season cannot be played, **** them all. 

More than 500 people have died in the last 24 hours. Let that sink in. We are not playing any football anytime soon. The club has very little money coming in, and the paying customers that it depends on for its usual income are facing wage cuts, unemployment and debt. Yet these ****ers think they should get their full wages with a portion deferred to a later date? The lack of comprehension from them is staggering.

Kidd’s Boots
10 minutes ago, RonnieG said:

and that will come back and bite us on the bottom based on the report in the press the other day.  Any player can take their complaint to FIFA and they can then decide to fine the club.  

Dig a bit of digging on that further back 

The game in Scotland has been suspended by the Joint Task Force on March 13, there is no dubiety over this. Any club currently honouring full or partial payment of contracts is doing so as it has "otherwise determined". We can ignore postponement in this case.

The FIFA directives list 14 sections and no less than 30 sub sections which define how legally both parties can terminate contracts, under Just Cause, Sporting Just Cause and Just Cause relating to salary non payment etc. Nowhere does it state that a club cannot terminate a contract due to the game being suspended. These Sporting Just Cause states that if a contracted player has played in less than 10% of the games competed in, they can legally terminate their contracts, in our case 3 appearances. How many of the first team squad would this apply to? And how many have invoked their legal right to do this?  Most players know the importance of an employment contract, and as no better offers will be on the horizon for a while, the club and contracted players need to put the survival of the business first.

By paying 50% of a contract, the club can ensure that fitness standards are maintained under a contractual obligation. If the players had been placed in furlough, and their salary met the government criteria of 80% to a max of £2.5k, they would be under no obligation to remain fit for the resumption if one ever happens. I firmly believe that AB & the board are doing the right thing here for all concerned .

Just now, Smith's right boot said:

Yip, and our manager who is just in the door has taken a pay cut. 

Stick them on the 80% upto £2500 and **** them. 

Once the SFA decide the season cannot be played, **** them all. 

I dont disagree with this but its simply not legal.  I can't think for a second that we would get away with that action.

11 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Care to share? The statement from the PFA says they are representing the players and no one other than Naismith has said they are accepting the cut. That makes me think that the players have agreed to contacting the PFA and the players have given the green light for the statement. 

No. It’s peoples personal choice and between them and the club. Some players are clearly questioning why some clubs are only asking 20% deferred for instance. They only have Ann’s word for things and have obviously asked their union official to ask/negotiate on this. 

Ann has said we hold the same amount of payroll in reserve as most clubs, so the players are asking why 50% for them and not other clubs.

the answer seems obvious to me, but maybe the players need it in black and white.

SectionDJambo

It looks like the tide may be turning. News reports of EPL clubs furloughing office staff etc., at the 80% government bailout, so that players on huge money can keep earning all of their wages. 

This won't sit well with the vast majority of UK residents, including those who are football fans. This is football clubs using emergency government money so that they can keep paying football players all of their thousands of £s.

There are clubs in Scotland doing this too, whether by deferral or still paying normal wages. So while Hearts are planning on using the deferral system to pay the low paid as much of their wages as possible, and cutting top salaries by 50% to help do this, others plan on paying only players as normal, and treating their lower paid staff differently, by not paying them.

Well that's it.     I will never support any of these players in the future.    Not a penny going to the club until they are all gone.     Cancel the contracts tomorrow.

Malinga the Swinga

Don't have any problem with clubs who furlough staff to protect jobs. I would however have brought in condition where if company/organisation wants to take advantage of the scheme, then all people employed have to adhere to the maximum of £2.5k per month. After all, players are always telling us we are in it together.

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, RonnieG said:

I dont disagree with this but its simply not legal.  I can't think for a second that we would get away with that action.

If there are no games, therfore no work then I don't see how a players contracts supercedes the government's initiative. 

The sticking point is that the season hasn't ended yet. 

If the SFA confirm what is happening, that would be a start. 

If the decision is that the season has ended and no more games will be played then I don't see why the governments initiative doesn't apply to football as well in the same way as it does to everything else. 

We simply shut down for time and everyone gets 80% upto £2500.

Edited by Smith's right boot

1 hour ago, Last Laff said:

The players shouldn’t be given that ultimatum without a group discussion though, that’s the vital part.  It’s been decided and that’s that.  That is also what the pfa are trying to discuss with the club to get a compromise.  It doesn’t look good when the other clubs are promising the players get their money back either.  That will further disillusion players who have been told to halve their wages or do one. 

Surely you have logged on to the wrong forum by mistake... you meant to log in to sisterfist.net !

5 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

But the problem has been other clubs who are deluding themselves into thinking this will just be brief and not make hard decisions. They have been offering deferred wages so the spfa and players are using that to say there is no need for wage cuts. 

The reality of the situation will hit clubs and players will also realise their mistake, hopefully not too late.

I completely agree. Unfortunately I fear it could well be too late before the reality of what is happening here actually sinks in. Too many folk are removed from reality, even when you hear some of the questions that are being asked at the daily briefings from downing street make you shake your head and this is supposed to be the top end of journalism in this country.

4 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

If there are no games, therfore no work then I don't see how a players contracts supercedes the government's initiative. 

The sticking point is that the season hasn't ended yet. 

If the SFA confirm what is happening, that would be a start. 

If the decision is that the season has ended and no more games will be played then I don't see why the governments initiative doesn't apply to football as well in the same way as it does to everything else. 

We simply shut down for time and everyone gets 80% upto £2500.

If the SPL say the season is finished do clubs still have to pay up the full contract of the player?  

Fozzyonthefence
52 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

The Players have

Sack them all. 

Nailed it!  As good a post as Le Chat’s earlier one.

Honestly, any players who refused the pay cut looking in here, just get the **** out of our club.  Your performances over the last 18 months don’t even deserve 50% of your wages, pandemic or not.  And now you want 100% of your wages for sitting on your arses doing hee haw. Go and do something useful like volunteer for the NHS and help their staff who put their lives  at risk on a daily basis, on a fraction of what you overpaid, ungrateful arseholes get paid.

Just do one.

Edited by Fozzyonthefence

Bazzas right boot

Looking at the actions of players and clubs and the levels they go to protect the millionaires I am really thinking about Binning football. 

Maybe follow Musselburgh athletic. 

The bbc news article on clubs like spurs are an eye opener. 

Horrible *******s. 

Get these frauds to feck out of our club 🤬😡🤯

I would rather take our medicine and keep only the young lads, and let these charlatans feck right off and go into any games (whenever that is) with young boys fighting the cause similar to our last relegation scenerio.

The world is on its knees, decent hard working folk have lost incomes and businesses overnight and these 🤡's think they deserve their wages deferred!!!

Please release these frauds and lets start again with a clean slate...

It is good to see though that the initial thoughts of us on here are pretty much on all the same page....get them to feck, spineless losers havent bothered for a very long time, thinking the odd result keeps them from criticism...overpaid and grossly underworked....

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, RonnieG said:

If the SPL say the season is finished do clubs still have to pay up the full contract of the player?  

No idea. 

Good question tho. 

Maybe that is part of the hold up, to protect the players contracts and wages. 

Quite clearly there is going to be no football played until next season. 

The SFA need to take the finger out and make the call. 

1 minute ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Nailed it!  As good a post as Le Chat’s earlier one.

Honestly, any players who refused the pay cut looking in here, just get the **** out of our club.  Your performances over the last 18 months don’t even deserve 50% of your wages, pandemic or not.  And now you want 100% of your wages for sitting on your arses doing hee has.  Go and do something useful like volunteer for the NHS and help their staff who put their lives  at risk on a daily basis, on a fraction of what you overpaid, ungrateful arseholes get paid.

Just do one.

Some of those NHS workers will have paid money for tickets and merchandise that has helped pay those players’ wages too. 

13 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

We seem to have a real disconnect with the media. We'll get slaughtered for any moves we make, caught between a PFA with a hard on and a rotation of rent a gob no marks like McManus, Harper, Boyd.

The board need to prioritise survival. If that inconveniences some of our current squad then so be it. 

Like our lives, Football will have a very different landscape when all of this is over. 

Totally agree. there appears to be so many folk of the belief that eveything will return to what was the norm as quickly as it was placed into lockdown. There will just be a press briefing telling them that when they wake up on such and such a date then eveything is now fine and we can go about our business as previous. Its crazy.

8 minutes ago, buzzbomb said:

No. It’s peoples personal choice and between them and the club. Some players are clearly questioning why some clubs are only asking 20% deferred for instance. They only have Ann’s word for things and have obviously asked their union official to ask/negotiate on this. 

Ann has said we hold the same amount of payroll in reserve as most clubs, so the players are asking why 50% for them and not other clubs.

the answer seems obvious to me, but maybe the players need it in black and white.

I know a current first team player, I’ve stated this and shared this on this site before. From what I know of the situation, Naismith is the only player, from the last time I spoke to him which was last week after hearing about the death of his gran, to have agreed to the cut. That position may have changed but as it stood at the time, the players aren’t playing ball. 

The PFA will have asked all the Hearts players if they are okay with the statement being released and will have asked all Hearts players their opinion on the situation so I think it’s fair to say that the majority of the players don’t want the cuts. 

9 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

It looks like the tide may be turning. News reports of EPL clubs furloughing office staff etc., at the 80% government bailout, so that players on huge money can keep earning all of their wages. 

This won't sit well with the vast majority of UK residents, including those who are football fans. This is football clubs using emergency government money so that they can keep paying football players all of their thousands of £s.

There are clubs in Scotland doing this too, whether by deferral or still paying normal wages. So while Hearts are planning on using the deferral system to pay the low paid as much of their wages as possible, and cutting top salaries by 50% to help do this, others plan on paying only players as normal, and treating their lower paid staff differently, by not paying them.

Very sadly you could draw a not too dissimilar parallel to 1914... when at that time all our players did the right thing! I think what we are seeing here is just how out of touch a section of the working community can be. Here we have a bunch of, on this season's performances ,  players who are only thinking of one thing. To paraphrase Robert Burns... "

Ye see yon birkie, ca'd a player,
Wha struts, an' stares, an' a' that;
Tho' hundreds worship at his feet,
He's but a coof for a' that:
Edited by jock _turd

Malinga the Swinga
1 minute ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Hope some of them are reading the supporters’ thoughts tonight. 

Even if they did,. I would doubt they care. They have a sense of self entitlement that far outdoes their abilities.

TyphoonJambo
1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

Looking at the actions of players and clubs and the levels they go to protect the millionaires I am really thinking about Binning football. 

Maybe follow Musselburgh athletic. 

The bbc news article on clubs like spurs are an eye opener. 

Horrible *******s. 

I have really struggled to believe whats been reported. Surely no multi billionaire owned team could be brazen enough to have made the decision to continue to pay millionaire players (currently and probably not for a long time doing their job) whilst having absolutely no qualms about throwing support staff onto a state benefits system which is first and foremost designed to assist companies from folding. Am i over simplifying this? Have i got the wrong end of the stick? 

2 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Hope so.    Out of touch parasites. 

You're no longer welcome lads.    **** off.

Fozzyonthefence
14 minutes ago, RonnieG said:

It’s been quoted a lot that, despite statements to the contrary by the SPFA, it would appear that clubs can terminate contracts under Article 12.  Whether that would hold up in court, who knows?

3 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Mothy, I think for the first time in a long time the whole fan base is united! 

Kidd’s Boots
4 minutes ago, jock _turd said:

Very sadly you could draw a not too dissimilar parallel to 1914... when at that time all our players did the right thing! I think what we are seeing here is just how out of touch a section of the working community can be. Here we have a bunch of, on this season's performances ,  players who are only thinking of one thing. To paraphrase Robert Burns... "

Ye see yon birkie, ca'd a player,
Wha struts, an' stares, an' a' that;
Tho' hundreds worship at his feet,
He's but a coof for a' that:

For a' an a' that

His ribband, star, an’ a’ that,
The man o’ independent mind,
He looks an’ laughs at a’ that.

Pasquale for King
Just now, Fozzyonthefence said:

It’s been quoted a lot that, despite statements to the contrary by the SPFA, it would appear that clubs can terminate contracts under Article 12.  Whether that would hold up in court, who knows?

Unfortunately it wouldn’t stand up in the real world or it would’ve been done by now.

1 minute ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Even if they did,. I would doubt they care. They have a sense of self entitlement that far outdoes their abilities.

:( 

If I was a player and I had been watching today’s news, then I saw that PFA letter, I’d be cringing like ****, and straight on the blower to agree to the 50%. 

2 minutes ago, Jodami said:

Mothy, I think for the first time in a long time the whole fan base is united! 

True! 😄

Bazzas right boot
Just now, TypoonJambo said:

I have really struggled to believe whats been reported. Surely no multi billionaire owned team could be brazen enough to have made the decision to continue to pay millionaire players (currently and probably not for a long time doing their job) whilst having absolutely no qualms about throwing support staff onto a state benefits system which is first and foremost designed to assist companies from folding. Am i over simplifying this? Have i got the wrong end of the stick? 

No. 

Folk go on about benefit fraud as well. 

The real frauds are the millionaire owners and fuds like Branson. 

***** owns an island and puts his staff on unpaid leave. 

. 3% of his personal wealth( or somthing) would have kept his staff in full pay for 8 weeks. 

I ready knew this, hopefully the reaction of certain political parties and business owners wakes folk up. 

Weatherspoons can go **** themselves as well and I never went to sports direct anyway. 

Folk will forget tho and fall in line soon enough. 

Bazzas right boot

On a positive note, with this news-the heat is off big Craig. 

😂😂

Edited by Smith's right boot

Malinga the Swinga

On a positive note, twith this news-the heat is off big Craig. 

😂😂

On a positive note, twith this news-the heat is off big Craig. 

😂😂

Unless we find out he drafted letter to PFA.

IF there was a definite start date to either the resumption of the current season or the start of the next season there would be some argument for deferring wages. There can be no start date given for the resumption of football so deferral of wages would be financial suicide.

The players have completely misjudged the mood of fans on this I was a trade unionist all my working life but can't bring myself to support these clowns when doctors are dying in our hospitals. **** the lot of them, if they are still here when football restarts they will be hounded out of Tynecastle by the fans.

3 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

On a positive note, with this news-the heat is off big Craig. 

😂😂

😂😂😂

Geoff Kilpatrick

Since the game got stopped, I haven't missed it for a second.

These clowns have just confirmed my thinking. Mind you, some of them are probably on such a nice little earner, overpaid by us when they are actually truly shite, that they are loathe to give it up.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

They should be brave enough to issue a statement and sign it, as Ann Budge did