Wage cut for players and staff (Statement on 24/4)

Bunny Munro

11 hours ago, ramrod said:

Agree 

the only caveat is I'm not sure we'd come straight back up with Daniel in charge. 

Im far from convinced by him . 

And budge 

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Mikey1874

• soonbe110

• Last Laff

Ibrahim Tall
11 hours ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Don't understand why some clubs are asking their players to "defer" wages. Idiotic idea. Why not just make them take a wage cut?

How does that help the club in any way long term?

I've taken an (albeit small) 5% cut on my salary because of the current pandemic. I don't earn a 6 figure wage but some of the higher earners took 15-20%. I was more than happy to take it to help them company. And that's a CUT not a defer.

I don't get that money back.

They should be glad they have a job ffs. Some of them won't in a few weeks.

Everyone’s situation isn’t necessarily the same tbh, some can afford cuts and some can’t. Football in particular is different from the ‘real’ world and not just in terms of EPL inflated wages. You’ve taken a 5% cut but I’d imagine you have a job you can go back to in a few months with a permanent contract? Some players will be out of contract in a few months and may even struggle to find a new one if things don’t return to normality soon.

11 hours ago, ramrod said:

Agree 

the only caveat is I'm not sure we'd come straight back up with Daniel in charge. 

Im far from convinced by him . 

Daniel has a great footballing philosophy thats very similar to Juergen Klopp and modelled on the German style. What’s he’s failing to grasp is the players at his disposal are shite. Levein pinned his hopes on Uche for example. A 15 stone muscle bound colossus who can’t run. Blowing out his Arse after 20 mins. How can you play high press when your forwards are the first line of defence? It wouldn’t take a genius to work out that Halketts slow as feck and a  ball over the top negates Stendels tactics.

He needs a pre season and better players in. Ours are slow and lazy and generally useless. Damour is just one example and probably through lack of match fitness these last two years. I have faith in DS but fear we need a complete rebuild and I’m not sure he’ll wait around long enough for that. His mistake is, he probably thought as professional footballers our players were better than what they actually are! 

15 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

My thoughts are that next season will be a write off for fans going and even closed door games. It’ll be all about keeping clubs afloat and some will close.

looking at the likes of Hibs and what a mess. Deferred payments was absolutely bonking mad. Said without any sense of realism and that will bite them big time. Good. Hope they feel it like Aberdeen, Dundee especially.

We are lucky that we have £120,000 a month coming in from FOH.  Many players contracts will expire and we will unfortunately likely invoke that clause 12.

We will rally like we have done. I won’t bat an eyelid for the clubs that put the boot in to us (obviously jobs aside for their honest employees).

Dempster looks like she’s beginning to shit her pants. Good

I think the clubs that will face the biggest financial problems are the fulltime clubs so pretty much all of the premiership and championship. Even the old firm will struggling without European football which must be a possibility at least with spectators.

Deferring wages is financial suicide when there is no start date.

2 hours ago, Saughton Jambo said:

Daniel has a great footballing philosophy thats very similar to Juergen Klopp and modelled on the German style. What’s he’s failing to grasp is the players at his disposal are shite. Levein pinned his hopes on Uche for example. A 15 stone muscle bound colossus who can’t run. Blowing out his Arse after 20 mins. How can you play high press when your forwards are the first line of defence? It wouldn’t take a genius to work out that Halketts slow as feck and a  ball over the top negates Stendels tactics.

He needs a pre season and better players in. Ours are slow and lazy and generally useless. Damour is just one example and probably through lack of match fitness these last two years. I have faith in DS but fear we need a complete rebuild and I’m not sure he’ll wait around long enough for that. His mistake is, he probably thought as professional footballers our players were better than what they actually are! 

I don't think the type of players Daniel needs are available on the budget we have or will have . 

Hes a great coach but he's pissing In the wind up here in Scotland. 

1 hour ago, ramrod said:

I don't think the type of players Daniel needs are available on the budget we have or will have . 

Total agree with you RR. There’s been major improvement in certain individuals but collectively, we are still woeful. Be interesting to see who’s still here when things, if ever, return to normal 

3 hours ago, ramrod said:

Its not an unfair point, I do wonder though if he had a clean slate how that might change things. More youth into the first team would reduce the numbers of seasoned pro's we'd need which would mean we could afford to spend more on quality rather than quantity. 

1 hour ago, OTT said:

Its not an unfair point, I do wonder though if he had a clean slate how that might change things. More youth into the first team would reduce the numbers of seasoned pro's we'd need which would mean we could afford to spend more on quality rather than quantity. 

Suppose that's dependant on the quality of youngsters coming through . 

Early signs are that they are a good bit away from being good enough and consistent enough to win games for us on a regular basis . 

Players look to have verbally agreed a wage cut of between 10-30%. We have now written to each player to ask them to sign the agreement.

If they don't accept then we will activate Clause 12 of the dodgy SPFL rule book.

David McCaig

To be honest, I struggle with our players even getting paid 70% of their wages to sit on their arses for the next however many months.

2 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

To be honest, I struggle with our players even getting paid 70% of their wages to sit on their arses for the next however many months.

This. 😡🤬🤡🤯

Lone Striker

Well done Ann -  it's crunch time for these wasters... take the 70% or 0%.   Your choice.    It's actually bewildering why any of them would still object to a 30% cut.    

9 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Well done Ann -  it's crunch time for these wasters... take the 70% or 0%.   Your choice.    It's actually bewildering why any of them would still object to a 30% cut.    

Absolutely. 

gashauskis9

People are dying, most people can’t hug their families, people are losing jobs and livelihoods.

This is a minimum step imo.  Personally, I would have liked to have seen us cut deeper, but fair play to Ann for trying to retain some balance.  Still a far better proposition than wage deferrals.  

Queen Ann saviour of our Hearts!

Clause 12 it is ...... unless the players use their brains and agree a wage cut!

highlandjambo3

Weegia will still tear us up for arse paper...... we can do no right.  Good statement and to the point......take a cut or take nowt.

12 minutes ago, husref musemic said:

has there been a more self interested bunch of mercenaries than this at the club ?

a month of shutdown and still refusing a pay cut when the future of the club is at stake !

bin them all.

I don't think they did refuse. This is AB now officially asking them to decide and sign letter or form.

Ibrahim Tall
28 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

The virus isn’t the players fault, they’ve got a contract and are as entitled to their wages as anyone else in a non-football capacity who’s currently sitting on their arse at home. That reality might not be ideal for the club but it’s true, given the relatively short career of a footballer and that many of those who’s contracts are up in the summer could possibly go months or a even a whole season or more without getting a new contract if things don’t improve it’s not realistic to just expect them to not be paid at all. They’ve got families and responsibilities too.

For Hearts sake I hope they take a wage cut and they should be commended if they do, not crucified if they don’t.

Edited by Ibrahim Tall

On 18/03/2020 at 18:04, Stendelnator said:

So much for Budge being a shrewd and canny businesswoman. Taking us into administration quicker than Romanov did. 

The actions she is taking suggest she is very prudent, shrewd and an excellent businesswoman. On mark every time in terms of what’s needed and when. 

On 18/03/2020 at 18:24, Mikey1874 said:

Sorry state of affairs. Repeated everywhere in one way or another. 

Will be some casualties. Might be a need for SFA to implement some amnesty, special measures or something. Say a dozen clubs can't continue. 

Or its a big restructure with new clubs coming in. 

Could be few enough clubs left that we re-start in second tier of a British league. 

On 18/03/2020 at 18:29, jambopilms said:

Media will paint it as if we are going to the wall, when we are staying ahead of the curve with clever planning.

Lots on here will paint it the same way. Fan ownership???????

David McCaig
5 minutes ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

The virus isn’t the players fault, they’ve got a contract and are as entitled to their wages as anyone else in a non-football capacity who’s currently sitting on their arse at home. That reality might not be ideal for the club but it’s true, given the relatively short career of a footballer and that many of those who’s contracts are up in the summer could possibly go months or a even a whole season or more without getting a new contract if things don’t improve it’s not realistic to just expect them to not be paid at all. They’ve got families and responsibilities too.

For Hearts sake I hope they take a wage cut and they should be commended if they do, not crucified if they don’t.

Of course they should be crucified if they say no.

The players signed a contract which literally says that they are not entitled to pay in these circumstances.  Paying them 100% will kill our club in double quick time.

They are no different to any other furloughed employee in that their business is currently unable to trade, so their services are not required.  The club is making a ridiculously generous offer to still pay them 70% of their wages!!

Sign the 30% or go on to zero wages... and feck off asap when football resumes.

On 15/04/2020 at 15:02, Clerry Jambo said:

Obviously surmising, if players had agreed any sort of cut, we would have heard.

Sounds like it so she has given them option of a 10-50% pay cut or a 100% pay cut under article 12. Players call. 
Good on her for getting this out early. 

Clears up that clause 12 only allows us to suspend wages, not tear up contracts.  

100% not a route we want to go down.

been here before

Between 10-30%.

None of them are going to be skint. Plenty people on far less wages losing a lot more with no guarantee of ever getting anything back.

Clerry Jambo
6 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Sounds like it so she has given them option of a 10-50% pay cut or a 100% pay cut under article 12. Players call. 
Good on her for getting this out early. 

Was hoping something would come out before the April payroll, good on her

Edited by Clerry Jambo

Good get rid of the ones that refuse - Hearts won't be the only club doing this but you can guarantee the papers tomorrow will print us as a terrible club 🥴

south morocco
3 minutes ago, Shanks said:

Clears up that clause 12 only allows us to suspend wages, not tear up contracts.  

100% not a route we want to go down.

I think we want to do the clause 12 if needed, that’s how it came across. 

18 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Weegia will still tear us up for arse paper...... we can do no right.  Good statement and to the point......take a cut or take nowt.

But there's questions raised by it for other clubs.

They should be asking the clubs making deferrals or who haven't said anything. 

Ibrahim Tall
3 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

Of course they should be crucified if they say no.

The players signed a contract which literally says that they are not entitled to pay in these circumstances.  Paying them 100% will kill our club in double quick time.

They are no different to any other furloughed employee in that their business is currently unable to trade, so their services are not required.  The club is making a ridiculously generous offer to still pay them 70% of their wages!!

Sign the 30% or go on to zero wages... and feck off asap when football resumes.

So your mentioning they’re apparently no different to any other ‘furloughed employees’ then threatening ‘zero wages’ the next? The Furloughed scheme itself covers 80% of up to £2,500 a month, that alone would cover most of the younger players. 

If e.g. your mortgage, car payments etc and other necessary monthly outgoings are £3k a month and you get paid £3,200 a month you can hardly be expected to rush to take a 30% wage cut. Particularly if your contract is up in a matter of months and theres no guarantee of finding a new club/source of income with football suspended. It’s the SPFL not the EPL, not every player is sitting with thousands in the bank for a rainy day.

3 minutes ago, been here before said:

Between 10-30%.

None of them are going to be skint. Plenty people on far less wages losing a lot more with no guarantee of ever getting anything back.

Its pretty decent considering there is no football.

26 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

People are dying, most people can’t hug their families, people are losing jobs and livelihoods.

This is a minimum step imo.  Personally, I would have liked to have seen us cut deeper, but fair play to Ann for trying to retain some balance.  Still a far better proposition than wage deferrals.  

Cuts will be deeper if football can't start in July. 

gashauskis9
4 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Cuts will be deeper if football can't start in July. 

Yep, and we'll be regretting not cutting back sooner.

I’ve got sympathy with the players here. I’ve just been furloughed however luckily my employer is still giving me 100%. If I had to go down to 80% I would struggle. My wife is self employed and hasn’t had a wage in 5 weeks. There’s a common misconception that our players earn a fortune, live in mansions and all drive Range Rovers. The reality is that probably half of our squad make about the same as a well paid electrician. A lot of them don’t know if they will have a job in 2 months. Also with the exception of probably Naismith will probably have to work in a much lesser paid job once in their late 30s. They aren’t all die hard jambos like us, it’s a job and an income. 

What ever needs done to protect the club needs done. But I wouldn’t criticise the players for looking after themselves.

Just now, DS98 said:

I’ve got sympathy with the players here. I’ve just been furloughed however luckily my employer is still giving me 100%. If I had to go down to 80% I would struggle. My wife is self employed and hasn’t had a wage in 5 weeks. There’s a common misconception that our players earn a fortune, live in mansions and all drive Range Rovers. The reality is that probably half of our squad make about the same as a well paid electrician. A lot of them don’t know if they will have a job in 2 months. Also with the exception of probably Naismith will probably have to work in a much lesser paid job once in their late 30s. They aren’t all die hard jambos like us, it’s a job and an income. 

What ever needs done to protect the club needs done. But I wouldn’t criticise the players for looking after themselves.

Correct they will only be looking out for themselves and have bills to pay like the rest of us. I have had to take a 20% cut with no option on whether I'm accepting it or not, just told it's that or your job pretty much. 

livingstonjambo
9 minutes ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

So your mentioning they’re apparently no different to any other ‘furloughed employees’ then threatening ‘zero wages’ the next? The Furloughed scheme itself covers 80% of up to £2,500 a month, that alone would cover most of the younger players. 

If e.g. your mortgage, car payments etc and other necessary monthly outgoings are £3k a month and you get paid £3,200 a month you can hardly be expected to rush to take a 30% wage cut. Particularly if your contract is up in a matter of months and theres no guarantee of finding a new club/source of income with football suspended. It’s the SPFL not the EPL, not every player is sitting with thousands in the bank for a rainy day.

Well they can do what millions of other people in Britain are having to do and take a mortgage and finance holiday. 

3 minutes ago, DS98 said:

**** the players 

David McCaig
11 minutes ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

I would obviously expect the players to claim a government furlough payment... as long as Hearts aren’t paying them I don’t care.

My concern here is the survival of Hearts, I don’t give a shit about the players.