Wage cut for players and staff (Statement on 24/4)

Bunny Munro

3 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Good

Seconded , let's hope the trumpet is serious about it  and doesn't hang around till the schools go back 

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Mikey1874

• soonbe110

• Last Laff

Why do football players think they deserve to be paid in full when the majority of the country has taken a hit on wages. Like everyone else they have the option of a mortgage holiday so how can they be in that much debt that they cant afford to live.

I have had zero income for over 2 weeks now but thankfully my wife is still working.

FW says its not fair for the club to be saving money to buy new players in the new season, players will be lucky if there are enough teams left for them to play for.

5 minutes ago, jackal said:

Why do football players think they deserve to be paid in full when the majority of the country has taken a hit on wages. Like everyone else they have the option of a mortgage holiday so how can they be in that much debt that they cant afford to live.

I have had zero income for over 2 weeks now but thankfully my wife is still working.

FW says its not fair for the club to be saving money to buy new players in the new season, players will be lucky if there are enough teams left for them to play for.

They are aswell just leaving now as they will never be forgiven by the fan base. A group of players I’ve never known to be so out of touch with the club and it’s fans. 

south morocco
2 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

They are aswell just leaving now as they will never be forgiven by the fan base. A group of players I’ve never known to be so out of touch with the club and it’s fans. 

Agree with this. Wonder who will go?

3 hours ago, RonnieG said:

Bash on wee man. 

Fantoosh, laddie and wee man ? 😂😂😂

Caught out taking shite take it on the chin mate. 

51 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

What work did he actually do? 

Guides players through times like these of wage cuts and administration for a start?  He also helps massively for players who can’t get another contract in the game settle into life after football. 

17 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Well they better have walked to the training ground and not driven by car.

The advice on Radio Scotland yesterday was that you only got in your car or public transport to go exercise if it was impossible to access an acceptable exercise environment where you resided.

I very much doubt the vast majority of Celtic players aren't living in affluent areas on the outskirts of Glasgow with ample parklands nearby.

And probably why it never lasted long or at all in any sort of worthwhile exercise. 

Edited by Dazo

14 minutes ago, jackal said:

Exactly. 

What's even worse is the fans that believe football clubs should still be paying everyone fully when no work is being done.

Mentalists. 

40 minutes ago, Kidd’s Boots said:

I have no doubt that FW has proved significant assistance to the members of PFA during administration scenario. No club in Scotland is currently in administration, but I'm sure his experience will be sought after when these do arise. 

I believe that the siege mentality in the clubs scenario currently is being driven by FW & TH by advising their members to not accept a pay reduction and trying to negotiate terms during this unprecedented set of circumstances. In the SPFL, Celtic and Hamilton have put non playing staff in furlough, and I have no doubt they be followed by others in due course. By freeing up 80% of these salaries, which will now be covered by the government, or put another way, taxpayers, they free up capital to pay players contracts. Now, while this is not illegal, I would much rather have the scenario as put out by AB, that as club, we are all in this together rather than the smoke and mirrors other clubs are putting forward about their financial obligations. A wage deferral is jam tomorrow boys, nothing more. A 50% cut is decisive and being funded by the club, not by the government, something which I think has passed many people by, including the media.

My opinions on how this is being handled by the PFA are just that just, opinions and if I am  proved wrong I will humblely retract most of them!

Fair enough. FW has every right to get what’s best for the players though and if he feels the players have been put into a difficult situation and are (correctly Imo) upset as to how this has played out he’s going to defend his clientele.  I don’t think he’s mischief making in the slightest though and he always comes across as completely professional. 

1 minute ago, Sarah O said:

Exactly. 

What's even worse is the fans that believe football clubs should still be paying everyone fully when no work is being done.

Mentalists. 

I don’t think the majority of players believe they should be paid in full.  I believe if they got treated like adults in a way the group could make a decision on what’s best for the group and individual instead of ultimatums and emotional blackmail it would come to a happier agreement. 

1 minute ago, Last Laff said:

I don’t think the majority of players believe they should be paid in full.  I believe if they got treated like adults in a way the group could make a decision on what’s best for the group and individual instead of ultimatums and emotional blackmail it would come to a happier agreement. 

Treated like adults?

Malinga the Swinga

Wishart and his cronies may be doing what players want, but he is not doing anything towards helping country get through this, but then again, he is only doing what he is paid for and wouldn't expect him to do anything else.

Other industries trying to help, people going beyond what is expected, but no, not Scottish football cause they are special cases. What about him showing some leadership and doing the right thing for everyone, not just footballers.

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Ultimatums - ie deadlines - are exactly what’s needed.

This isn’t a time for worrying about hurt feelings and “happy agreements” and just letting employees take their time making decisions for themselves. This is a full blown crisis that needs leaders to do what their title says and lead and make the tough decisions quickly. 

Exactly what Hearts have been doing while other clubs faff around worrying about what the papers will say.

Malinga the Swinga
5 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

We don't know what each individual player has said to their club. We do know that in Scotland, we have seen very little sign, Naismith apart, of any player coming out and saying I will take a cut. 

If they behaved like adults, they might find they get a little more respect.

6 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Treated like adults and ultimatums ? Do you mean you want them treated differently from the rest of the working population?

They face stark choices in order to save the club going out of business. Exposing them to that is ultimatums, it’s the reality of the situation. If they can’t grasp that maybe they aren’t adults. 

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Wishart and his cronies may be doing what players want, but he is not doing anything towards helping country get through this, but then again, he is only doing what he is paid for and wouldn't expect him to do anything else.

Other industries trying to help, people going beyond what is expected, but no, not Scottish football cause they are special cases. What about him showing some leadership and doing the right thing for everyone, not just footballers.

English football at the EPL level is doing even worse. Like Celtic and Rangers these clubs have massive budgets and players on huge money. They’re doing nothing for the greater good, unlike leading german teams for example.

The EPL is coming out of this really badly. They seem to be prioritising player salaries

over everything else. A very bad look for the whole league - not surprising though.

SectionDJambo

How about the players agreeing with the clubs to a deferral, but then only get the full deferred wages if all the remaining fixtures of this season and all the fixtures expected for next season, and beyond, get played. In other words, if no games which clubs can expect to generate income from get cancelled permanently, they get their money by the time the fixtures are back up to date.

They wouldn't expect wages for work not done, would they? 

What the likes of Hibs are proposing, is the clubs taking all the risk that all the expected fixtures, had Coronavirus not happened, taking place over time. That is highly unlikely, and a wages time bomb for clubs who agree to it.

Malinga the Swinga
1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

English football at the EPL level is doing even worse. Like Celtic and Rangers these clubs have massive budgets and players on huge money. They’re doing nothing for the greater good, unlike leading german teams for example.

The EPL is coming out of this really badly. They seem to be prioritising player salaries

over everything else. A very bad look for the whole league - not surprising though.

Football's special don't you know. Watch news and you get arses like Carragher, Rednapp, Nicholas, Le Tissier, Miller, and the rest telling us how we need football. They are all living in bubble because they have never lived in real world.

Just imagine the fans reaction if the players get full salary throughout this situation and then come back to the club unfit. I wouldn't like to be in their shoes (boots).

16 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

How many people who have had wages cut had any input on it whatsoever from the companies they work for. People have been told they had no job with no notice even before the furlough option came in and hired again because the government is paying their wages.

Players at the club have been given at least 2 weeks notice of the intention of the club and have only gone onto reduced wages only today if they accepted the offer.

It amazes me that so many companies have no back up plan in all of this but we as a club are getting slated for trying to keep the club alive by drastic measures it seems but they may be whats needed.

Should just release the players as per the terms of their contracts if they don’t accept the wage reduction. We can play the youngster when/if the season resumes. First team squad is full of overpaid wasters anyway. 

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, flem said:

Should just release the players as per the terms of their contracts if they don’t accept the wage reduction. We can play the youngster when/if the season resumes. First team squad is full of overpaid wasters anyway. 

Agreed, no decision today though as other staff put on Furlough.

Pasquale for King

I know in the grand scheme of things it’s not that important in any way but is cutting the grass on the pitch an essential job? Even more strange things run around in my head in these crazy times 🙈🤪.

6 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I know in the grand scheme of things it’s not that important in any way but is cutting the grass on the pitch an essential job? Even more strange things run around in my head in these crazy times 🙈🤪.

Yes it is. In the same way green keepers are maintaining golf courses.

The pitch is key infrastructure

I'm pretty much on the verge of losing any interest in football after all of this malarkey.

I've disliked footballers, their grand attitudes and incredibly lofty opinions of themselves for a good wee while now, but this latest caper may well push me over that edge.

They, in the main, seem to have absolutely no community spirit and no real grasp of reality.

For them to actually say that their contracts should be paid in full (even if some is deferred for a while) when hundreds of thousands have lost their jobs and millions more have been forced to get by on a lot less, whilst those dickheads sit on their hoops cos there's no games, shows what self-absorbed, selfish creatures they are.

By putting money into football via season tickets or Sky Sports subscriptions after this is over, roughly 75% of that cash will go towards paying these fecking clownshoes all they really care about - themselves.

**** them.  I'd furlough the whole rotten lot of them.  It might give them a taste of the real world for once in their shitty careers.

2 minutes ago, Le Chat said:

I'm pretty much on the verge of losing any interest in football after all of this malarkey.

I've disliked footballers, their grand attitudes and incredibly lofty opinions of themselves for a good wee while now, but this latest caper may well push me over that edge.

They, in the main, seem to have absolutely no community spirit and no real grasp of reality.

For them to actually say that their contracts should be paid in full (even if some is deferred for a while) when hundreds of thousands have lost their jobs and millions more have been forced to get by on a lot less, whilst those dickheads sit on their hoops cos there's no games, shows what self-absorbed, selfish creatures they are.

By putting money into football via season tickets or Sky Sports subscriptions after this is over, roughly 75% of that cash will go towards paying these fecking clownshoes all they really care about - themselves.

**** them.  I'd furlough the whole rotten lot of them.  It might give them a taste of the real world for once in their shitty careers.

Best post on here. 👍🏻

26 minutes ago, Des' Dad said:

Just imagine the fans reaction if the players get full salary throughout this situation and then come back to the club unfit. I wouldn't like to be in their shoes (boots).

David Vanecek will probably eat and drink himself to a standstill. 

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, Super T said:

Yes it is. In the same way green keepers are maintaining golf courses.

The pitch is key infrastructure

Cool thanks for that.

Jean Louis Valois
5 minutes ago, Le Chat said:

Here here. Couldn't have put I better myself. 

I'd never heard of the word furlough before until this caper started.

:callme:

I'd usually say the player's should get every dime contractually obliged to them but they've been shit for ages so wouldn't shed a tear if they are bagged like.

south morocco
12 minutes ago, Le Chat said:

Spot on. 

Selkirkhmfc1874
13 minutes ago, Le Chat said:

Well said !

SectionDJambo
9 minutes ago, Le Chat said:

Hard to disagree with any of this. I just find it incredible that the media and ex football pundits think this attitude of self importance is acceptable during these times. NHS staff are putting themselves at  severe risk for a very small fraction that these people earn.

They should be ashamed of themselves.

eyesandears
15 minutes ago, Le Chat said:

Bravo Sir! The best post on kickback for a very long time. 

16 minutes ago, Le Chat said:

Well said. Totally agree.

12 minutes ago, Le Chat said:

Absolutely spot on.

If footballers and the footballing authorities aren't careful they're going to misjudge the public mood. They should share the pain like everyone else and stfu.

10 minutes ago, Le Chat said:

Nailed it sir. Jack Grealish's actions are the most revealing insight into football players tbh. The lack of any real organised charitable donation or action from a whole slew of extraordinarily wealthy footballers in the UK is indicative of how these man children won't do anything themselves but leave life to their agents. Apparently in the background all agents party line is accept no cuts, perhaps consider deferrments, leave it to us. Weighed against everything going on right now it puts the game in real perspective for the first time in years. I could easily do walking away from the shit show myself. 

18 minutes ago, Le Chat said:

Absolutely, just been furloughed myself today for at least 8 weeks yet they demand full pay. Some of my staff are still working for their 80%. Yet they want in full for twiddling thumbs. 

19 minutes ago, Le Chat said:

Nail firmly smashed on the head!

1 hour ago, Kidd’s Boots said:

I have no doubt that FW has proved significant assistance to the members of PFA during administration scenario. No club in Scotland is currently in administration, but I'm sure his experience will be sought after when these do arise. 

I believe that the siege mentality in the clubs scenario currently is being driven by FW & TH by advising their members to not accept a pay reduction and trying to negotiate terms during this unprecedented set of circumstances. In the SPFL, Celtic and Hamilton have put non playing staff in furlough, and I have no doubt they be followed by others in due course. By freeing up 80% of these salaries, which will now be covered by the government, or put another way, taxpayers, they free up capital to pay players contracts. Now, while this is not illegal, I would much rather have the scenario as put out by AB, that as club, we are all in this together rather than the smoke and mirrors other clubs are putting forward about their financial obligations. A wage deferral is jam tomorrow boys, nothing more. A 50% cut is decisive and being funded by the club, not by the government, something which I think has passed many people by, including the media.

My opinions on how this is being handled by the PFA are just that just, opinions and if I am  proved wrong I will humblely retract most of them!

As you will have seen Hearts are putting most non playing staff on furlough too. Entirely makes sense. But at our level it's not massive money. 

1 hour ago, Last Laff said:

Guides players through times like these of wage cuts and administration for a start?  He also helps massively for players who can’t get another contract in the game settle into life after football. 

It was the former foh chairman I was referring to. 

Nookie Bear
2 hours ago, Last Laff said:

Fraser Wishart is extremely well respected in the job he does for the pfa and has guided players through many administrations - including HMFC. Just because he wants the best for the players instead of the club doesn’t make him a self serving idiot.

But, in this time of siege mentality of anyone who says anything about the club and how it’s being ran or handled the situation is the enemy it’s completely understandable the reaction.  If the former FoH chairman is getting it right after all the work he done to keep the club alive then anyone seems fair game on here. 

Not disagreeing with you except...”siege mentality”? At Hearts?

😂😂

20 minutes ago, Le Chat said:

I haven't lost interest.

But as others have agreed, your sentiments could well be very common.

Its certainly a surprise to me that I have no intention of buying a season ticket without knowing when the season starts etc. 

23 minutes ago, Le Chat said:

Top post.

gashauskis9

If wages are to be deferred then I guess the club will have no problem with me deferring my season ticket purchase.

Kidd’s Boots
4 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

As you will have seen Hearts are putting most non playing staff on furlough too. Entirely makes sense. But at our level it's not massive money. 

Completely agree, and the saving of 80% of these salaries won't go far enough to maintain players on contracts for any length of time unless agreement is reached.

1 minute ago, Gashauskis9 said:

If wages are to be deferred then I guess the club will have no problem with me deferring my season ticket purchase.

That is correct. 

Completely agree. 

Nookie Bear
29 minutes ago, Le Chat said:

I get what you’re saying but not all footballers are on huge money to the extent they can write off 50% and also, their numbers are a drop in the ocean compared to the number of UK workers earning in excess of, say, £100k per annum. 

I don’t see anyone in my business taking a cut. Or my wife’s business. Are teachers? They aren’t all working. 

However, I am disappointed if Hearts players are not helping their own staff by taking affordable cuts themselves, such as Naismith has done. 

Edit: and if you don’t like them, you know what to do when it’s time to renew your season ticket or renew your Sky subscription. 

Edited by Nookie Bear

22 minutes ago, Jee said:

I'd never heard of the word furlough before until this caper started.

:callme:

I'd usually say the player's should get every dime contractually obliged to them but they've been shit for ages so wouldn't shed a tear if they are bagged like.

I was the same with the word prorogue ..........

East Lothian Jambo
34 minutes ago, Le Chat said:

Spot on 

No concept of reality