New laptop

jamboy1982

Right kickback, I’m looking to buy a new laptop but I’m useless at tech stuff. 

Its simple really, all I use it for is football manager! I want one that’ll run fm without any slowness. I don’t want to spend too much. Help me out!! 

No need for anything else really. Don’t even use my laptop for the internet just use my phone. 

If it's just for Football Manager, you can get an absolutely bargain basement one and it should be just fine.

Might even be worth shopping eBay or Gumtree or Facebook Marketplace for deals, although in the current situation, maybe the latter two, not so much 😬

Tommy Brown

Would love to help, but not good enough.

But I would get it wiped of of shiteware.

And fresh windows 10 install.

I built my son's pc 4 years ago with the help of a poster who told what to buy.

It's still a belter to this day, would've cost double what I spent.

3 hours ago, Justin Z said:

If it's just for Football Manager, you can get an absolutely bargain basement one and it should be just fine.

Might even be worth shopping eBay or Gumtree or Facebook Marketplace for deals, although in the current situation, maybe the latter two, not so much 😬

Im not overly techy but id have to go against the grain of this advice.

As an FM player the full version of the new games process a HUGE amount of data. With a few leagues running for average game you need something that is pretty quick or it will drive u mad.

Dont need a gaming pc its not graphics heavy but a good processor and ram (from my limited understanding) is a must

5 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

As an FM player the full version of the new games process a HUGE amount of data. With a few leagues running for average game you need something that is pretty quick or it will drive u mad.

Dont need a gaming pc its not graphics heavy but a good processor and ram (from my limited understanding) is a must

Good to know. I was going off limited direct experience with the game, so thanks for chiming in with that bit!

21 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

Yeah this is the problem I’m having. Got a laptop for 229 a couple of years ago but game is going to slow. 

Been looking myself last few hours, mainly as I’m having to work from home for the foreseeable because of corona, already worked from home 3 days as it is. The boredom is just to much and would love to play FM. Had a look online and on SI forum, can’t justify spending 100s to play a football game. 400 tops I could probably justify 😂

38 minutes ago, toonland said:

Been looking myself last few hours, mainly as I’m having to work from home for the foreseeable because of corona, already worked from home 3 days as it is. The boredom is just to much and would love to play FM. Had a look online and on SI forum, can’t justify spending 100s to play a football game. 400 tops I could probably justify 😂

If you go for it let me know what you get. Similar situation to me 

11 minutes ago, jamboy1982 said:

If you go for it let me know what you get. Similar situation to me 

Haha I was hoping someone can help me, refuse to pay over the odds but desperate to stop the boredom. Usually only load Scottish leagues and English leagues on a large database

19 minutes ago, toonland said:

Haha I was hoping someone can help me, refuse to pay over the odds but desperate to stop the boredom. Usually only load Scottish leagues and English leagues on a large database

I have an HP Zbook. This one looks more than decent enough, it just doesn't come with Windows, but if you can get that installed, you have a very decent deal.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-ZBook-15-15-6-i7-4800MQ-2-70GHz-16GB-240GB-SSD-Quadro-K2100M/114131937162?hash=item1a92cb278a:g:YhAAAOSwondeV8B7

Tommy Brown
2 hours ago, jamboy1982 said:

Yeah this is the problem I’m having. Got a laptop for 229 a couple of years ago but game is going to slow. 

What is the spec of your current.

Believe me, wiping the drive clear with a fresh windows 10 and you won't to to buy **** all..

Your laptop is most likely full of bloatware.

I did this to my son's, its like brand new again.

Did you my link earlier? You were getting i5 core for £300. Bloody Justin suggesting a bloody celeron :facepalm:

22 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Believe me, wiping the drive clear with a fresh windows 10 and you won't to to buy **** all..

Did you my link earlier? You were getting i5 core for £300. Bloody Justin suggesting a bloody celeron :facepalm:

:lol: Hey, look at the latest link. And it was a bloody modern Celeron for less than £200!!

Tommy Brown
2 hours ago, Justin Z said:

:lol: Hey, look at the latest link. And it was a bloody modern Celeron for less than £20

Fify 😀

Hey just to hi-jack the thread. Looking to get the kids laptops with schools being shut down so they can do school stuff online and speak to pals etc.

Cos I need 2, don't really want to spend more than like 400 all in.

Any advice? Could do with them having all the office stuff, word, paint etc

Tommy Brown
59 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Hey just to hi-jack the thread. Looking to get the kids laptops with schools being shut down so they can do school stuff online and speak to pals etc.

Cos I need 2, don't really want to spend more than like 400 all in.

Any advice? Could do with them having all the office stuff, word, paint etc

go to Alan_R link above

Have laptops increased in price a lot in the last few years? 

I'm looking to replace mine and can't get near my spec for a similar price to what I paid 2-3 years ago. 

11 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

at worst he may be able to upgrade the ram to help it, that would be a cheap option

Consider a refurbished laptop from Dell: https://www.dellrefurbished.co.uk/

You only get a short warranty, but you can pick up some great bargains, especially if there's a sale on.

Edit: I've just gone on to the site and they are currently sold out of laptops but will replenish soon.

Edited by redjambo

13 hours ago, Justin Z said:

I have an HP Zbook. This one looks more than decent enough, it just doesn't come with Windows, but if you can get that installed, you have a very decent deal.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-ZBook-15-15-6-i7-4800MQ-2-70GHz-16GB-240GB-SSD-Quadro-K2100M/114131937162?hash=item1a92cb278a:g:YhAAAOSwondeV8B7

Would have no idea how to do this. Cabin fever kicking in desperately need something to do. Gyms closed so doing stuff in house but not the same. Off on holiday all next week a case of use them or lose them, so I’m off. Was meant to be a week in Italy