Tory cuts costing taxpayer 2.4m per day

Alan_R

Tories have overseen a cut of 17,000 hospital beds in the last decade (source: nhs england data series)

Now looking at renting 8000 beds privately for 2.4m per day.

All the while brushing past their herd immunity approach and mollify us with their wartime spirit analogies 

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/25/hospital-beds-at-record-low-in-england-as-nhs-struggles-with-demand

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.aljazeera.com/amp/indepth/opinion/welfare-cuts-left-uk-undefended-coronavirus-200312193147678.html

It's not just beds, staff laid off in the austerity bonfire of 2010 are now being brought back in as agency staff, at higher rates than they were being paid when they worked directly for the NHS.

It's crazy.

Needs must. No one predicted this scale of event. The Italians bought 5000 ventilators just recently to cope with the virus outbreak. Very few if any health services or governments will have been initially able to cope. It’s reactive not proactive based on events.

24 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

Needs must. No one predicted this scale of event. The Italians bought 5000 ventilators just recently to cope with the virus outbreak. Very few if any health services or governments will have been initially able to cope. It’s reactive not proactive based on events.

True but the cuts have put england in a position where beds are at a record low. Leaving them woefully ill equipped to handle the situation. A decade of cuts have left them in a poorer position than say italy for dealing with it.

To quote from above

"In terms of managing the supply of treatment to fight coronavirus, the financial stimulus to the NHS is too little, too late for an over-pressured health system that has been underfunded for an entire decade"

2 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

True but the cuts have put england in a position where beds are at a record low. Leaving them woefully ill equipped to handle the situation. A decade of cuts have left them in a poorer position than say italy for dealing with it.

To quote from above

"In terms of managing the supply of treatment to fight coronavirus, the financial stimulus to the NHS is too little, too late for an over-pressured health system that has been underfunded for an entire decade"

I couldn’t agree more. sadly people (Tories) thought cutting the NHS budget despite the political spin of increasing it was acceptable. 
Id still be up for increasing tax specifically for the NHS so as to be in a position to cope with our ever increasing health needs. 

4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I wouldn't be against much higher taxation at this moment, if it was need to fight this thing.

Nor i but fact of the matter is we should be in a position far better to cope.

And branson has the brassneck to ask for a bail out

Ainsley Harriott
10 hours ago, Alan_R said:

Tories have overseen a cut of 17,000 hospital beds in the last decade (source: nhs england data series)

Now looking at renting 8000 beds privately for 2.4m per day.

All the while brushing past their herd immunity approach and mollify us with their wartime spirit analogies 

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/25/hospital-beds-at-record-low-in-england-as-nhs-struggles-with-demand

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.aljazeera.com/amp/indepth/opinion/welfare-cuts-left-uk-undefended-coronavirus-200312193147678.html

Meanwhile in Scotland the Scottish Government have left the entire country with only 58 intensive care beds. It's fine though baby boxes will see to it.

54 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Meanwhile in Scotland the Scottish Government have left the entire country with only 58 intensive care beds. It's fine though baby boxes will see to it.

specifically Level 3 icu beds. Shetland alone was able to set aside 30 beds. (https://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2020/03/15/hospital-beds-set-aside-ready-for-coronavirus-patients)

while it obviously the NHS needs improved the UK over just think the conservatives have some cheek lambasting the other parties when their record is worse. Was only recently that Miles Briggs was getting tore in. When at least up here response times are slightly better.

2 hours ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Have you ever considered that when you brazenly lie, that instead of bolstering your side, your position is instead exposed for what it is? That is, nothing but ideologically driven cheap shots with no genuine desire for discussion or the potential for improvement? Put more bluntly, pure trolling trash?

Ainsley Harriott

Brazenly lie? It's been widely reported in the media. Do you not think its pathetic that you dismiss any criticism of your beloved scottish government as lies? 

Spitonastranger
3 hours ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

As someone who works with people in poverty the baby boxes have been a great assistance to many people and for the new born. Only small minded people would be against the distribution of them. 

Tories bad Tories bad Tories bad Tories bad Tories bad Tories bad Tories bad Tories bad Tories bad Tories bad

Ainsley Harriott
1 minute ago, Spitonastranger said:

As someone who works with people in poverty the baby boxes have been a great assistance to many people and for the new born. Only small minded people would be against the distribution of them. 

Aye brilliant another gimmicky populist policy by the National Socialits. 

Spitonastranger
2 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Aye brilliant another gimmicky populist policy by the National Socialits. 

Gimmicky helping the most in need and vulnerable new borns, you really need help, hopefully no one you care for ever needs understanding or sympathy in times of need. You are the one trying to make political point by targeting something that greatly assists people.   

Spitonastranger
6 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Tories bad Tories bad Tories bad Tories bad Tories bad Tories bad Tories bad Tories bad Tories bad Tories bad

At last one of your posts I agree with, your learning 

Ainsley Harriott
13 minutes ago, Spitonastranger said:

Gimmicky helping the most in need and vulnerable new borns, you really need help, hopefully no one you care for ever needs understanding or sympathy in times of need. You are the one trying to make political point by targeting something that greatly assists people.   

You think it's good I think it's a waste of money. Folk could try not having kids if they cant provide for them.

Spitonastranger
Just now, Ainsley Harriott said:

You think it's good I think it's a waste of money. Folk could try not having kids if they cant provide for them.

how much did your tories waste on Brexit, ferries etc but you worry about some money for the most needing in society, shame on you

8 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I wouldn't be against much higher taxation at this moment, if it was need to fight this thing.

Only if it was guaranteed to go directly to the NHS.

Brighton Jambo
3 hours ago, Spitonastranger said:

how much did your tories waste on Brexit, ferries etc but you worry about some money for the most needing in society, shame on you

I agree with you about the baby boxes but not sure I would have picked Ferries to make your point given the shambles at Ferguson’s Marine.....

Spitonastranger
2 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I agree with you about the baby boxes but not sure I would have picked Ferries to make your point given the shambles at Ferguson’s Marine.....

etc read fully 

Edited by Spitonastranger

coconut doug
7 minutes ago, weehammy said:

In the meantime those given to mothers that don’t need them lie unused in their garages and sheds. The folly of universal benefits.

If they don't want them, they don't have to take them. 

4 hours ago, Marvin said:

Only if it was guaranteed to go directly to the NHS.

Yip. This virus should be above politics ATM. Embarrassing some of the stuff on here. Let The FM and PM do what they need to do to beat this. Then afterwards see what could have been done better, if anything.

Spitonastranger
1 hour ago, weehammy said:

In the meantime those given to mothers that don’t need them lie unused in their garages and sheds. The folly of universal benefits.

Clueless stop reading right wing press and think for yourself.

On 16/03/2020 at 08:32, Alan_R said:

Nor i but fact of the matter is we should be in a position far better to cope.

And branson has the brassneck to ask for a bail out

And here lies the problem with the so called UK 'tycoons' like Branson, Green et al. Make billions through their companies yet live abroad to avoid paying as much tax as possible. Admittedly this is a global disaster to which we have no idea at the moment when it will be under control but the irony of asking for government intervention astounds me (although doesnt surprise me). Ultimately, the only people that will suffer through all this will be their staff who, most likely dont earn great salaries as it is. They know that so they ask for government bailouts to keep these poor folk in jobs. I wonder who will pay my additional childcare needs if the schools close?? No one likely so why cant these tycoons use some of their obscene personal fortunes to help their hard working staff out?

On 16/03/2020 at 04:21, ri Alban said:

I would be asking the scottish government to dip in to the extra taxation they currently make. They give people on low incomes of 15-18k a year an extra £10 per annum yet take hundreds if not thousands extra tax from 26-50k

On 16/03/2020 at 04:44, Ainsley Harriott said:

Brazenly lie? It's been widely reported in the media. Do you not think its pathetic that you dismiss any criticism of your beloved scottish government as lies? 

Just stop lying, and stop making excuses for your lying. I'm not even in Scotland right now.

Ainsley Harriott
8 hours ago, Justin Z said:

Just stop lying, and stop making excuses for your lying. I'm not even in Scotland right now.

Only one liar here bud and it ain't me. Pathetic 

This is a good example of how this board has just become Twitter. 

0 debate and just strangers calling other strangers arseholes because they dont all believe the same thing. 

wonderful. 

10 minutes ago, The Brow said:

This is a good example of how this board has just become Twitter. 

0 debate and just strangers calling other strangers arseholes because they dont all believe the same thing. 

wonderful. 

Personally, I'd like to steer it away from the mainstream media approach, which is to attempt to balance "two sides" as if they are equal, even though one is telling absolute whoppers, and the other at least trying to get semi-accurate information out into the public sphere.

The media's failure to act as a proper Fourth Estate is a large part of the reason why we're in the mess we are in. Not abiding bullshit anywhere, for any reason, is in my view the proper reaction.