Pay During a Period of Force Majeure

JohnB

4 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

William Hill (and other main sponsors) have had the benefit of advertising, publicity and PR for the vast majority of the season. As such they would only be entitled to a percentage rebate for the limited games that did not take place surely?

It depends what it says in the contract. These sort of things I'm sure will be settled amicably without the need to go through the courts. 

12 hours ago, JohnB said:

I take it you don't regard this as a war? We're already talking about losing more people to this virus than died in the last world war!

Surely that can't be right? The second world war saw a death toll worldwide of over 75 million. That's 1% of the current global population. At the moment only 4% of cases have returned a negative outcome, I take it you are working on a worst case scenario where everyone in the world contracts the disease, which as it stands isn't happening in China, the epicentre of the outbreak. In fact, they have seen a dramatic slowdown over the last two weeks due to lock downs and self isolation. 

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, Saint Jambo said:

Not sure what kind of reserves UEFA hold, but can't imagine TV companies will be rushing to handover money to UEFA for games that aren't being played. UEFA will also have significant unexpected costs and loss of income if they postpone the Euros.

You might be right and they might be in a position to help out clubs and associations but they do have their own issues to deal with too.

They might not pay out the whole amount but the tv companies have shown European games all season, they will be due to handover cash for them depending on contracts etc.