Career change to IT

Jee

Has anyone else done this and how'd did you get on changing?

I'm looking at the 16 week Code Clan course with a view to changing from my current industry (Oil & Gas) to software development. It will be a complete sea change from what I do now, with dirty coveralls on, to an industry which has a brighter future. I'm sick and tired of working away from home now so to get back at night to my own bed would be fab.

Any advice on where I should start in order to achieve this? I've an interest in computers since I was a kid but have no formal training here at all so I'm really a complete beginner.

7 minutes ago, Jee said:

I'm looking at the 16 week Code Clan course with a view to changing from my current industry (Oil & Gas) to software development. It will be a complete sea change from what I do now, with dirty coveralls on, to an industry which has a brighter future. I'm sick and tired of working away from home now so to get back at night to my own bed would be fab.

Any advice on where I should start in order to achieve this? I've an interest in computers since I was a kid but have no formal training here at all so I'm really a complete beginner.

A lot depends on the roles you are targeting.

A degree in computer science may be a minimum requirement for a junior position.

1 minute ago, frankblack said:

A degree in computer science may be a minimum requirement for a junior position.

What should I be targeting when you consider It's not possible for me to attain a degree now?

Edinburgh market for software development is really hot at the moment.  Developers are able to choose between roles.  Only thing which might change that is changes to IR35 (contractors) which may result in more contractors looking to go full time.

I'd say code clan is a good way to get yourself into the software development space.  They have arrangements with companies and have a fairly high % of placing cohorts into roles.  It's a bit of an expensive outlay and pretty tough but if you are looking to move into that space, I'd say it's a good option to look at.

Good luck!

PS.  Should also add, they won't just take on anyone - to get onto the 16 week course, you need to pass a bunch of tests and interviews with them.

Edited by Gards

12 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Data analysis or It security better bet 

Code clan are now doing data analysis courses as well.

13 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Bad plan unless you intend to move to India. Less and less jobs

Disagree - more and more IT companies are setting up in Edinburgh.  Very hot market at the moment for software development.

2 minutes ago, Gards said:

Edinburgh market for software development is really hot at the moment.  Developers are able to choose between roles.  Only thing which might change that is changes to IR35 (contractors) which may result in more contractors looking to go full time.

I'd say code clan is a good way to get yourself into the software development space.  They have arrangements with companies and have a fairly high % of placing cohorts into roles.  It's a bit of an expensive outlay and pretty tough but if you are looking to move into that space, I'd say it's a good option to look at.

Good luck!

PS.  Should also add, they won't just take on anyone - to get onto the 16 week course, you need to pass a bunch of tests and interviews with them.

Thanks for this.

I'm thinking I should perhaps get something related behind me first instead of going in cold.

kingantti1874
10 minutes ago, Gards said:

Disagree - more and more IT companies are setting up in Edinburgh.  Very hot market at the moment for software development.

Depends on specific area of IT you are looking at it suppose.. 

26 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I wasn't trying to be offensive.

A mate of mine asked me the same thing recently and he has no background in software development.

Look at the job specs on a number of sites to guage what you think you could get yourself up to.

There are a variety of skills in full stack software development - web front end (Angular, React etc), back end (.Net, Java), database (MS SQL, Oracle).

You could consider training to be a scrum master if managing/supporting agile teams is more appealing.

31 minutes ago, Jee said:

What should I be targeting when you consider It's not possible for me to attain a degree now?

Must have replied to my own post above - see answer above.

:facepalm:

Mate of mine was a cabbie in Glasgow, did this and got a job straight away with JP Morgan through it. He may have been lucky as they had sent their own employees to do it at the same time so he got referrals but still.

luckyBatistuta
4 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Bad plan unless you intend to move to India. Less and less jobs

Disagree with this, my nephew has just walked out of Heriot Watt and straight into a well paid job in London with a house thrown in. My boys are only 11 and 12 and go to a Coding Club every week, they are loving learning code. I’m hoping this leads to them getting a decent job through this🤞

Changed from insurance into IT myself and whilst I hate coding, there are a good number of job opportunities in many interesting companies. Started off coding for an artificial intelligence start up but ended up working with the e-learning developer which was really enjoyable. Used to go round companies delivering the training programme face-to-face.

1 thing against you is that there were many people on the course I did who could do things with a computer that I could never dream of being able to master. They've been doing this stuff for a decade. The thing that works massively in your favour is that the majority of people I came across in the industry couldn't maintain eye contact when having a conversation. Combine some social skills with a knowledge of the industry and you've got a great starting point.

Kennedy Bakircioglu

Code Clan is fantastic. We work with two people who've went through the course and I know a lot more who've done the course. It's very, very hard work by all accounts. Like a full-time job hours wise with 2-3 hours of homework in the evening. There are hundreds of junior developer roles when you graduate and everyone I know who's been through the course is doing well, either in their first job or second job. 

Not IT but there are many Business Analyst roles in Edinburgh at the moment.

They tend to work closely with software developers and operational teams, so you would probably get some high level exposure to the IT space.

New projects popping up all the time and can be very well paid.

51 minutes ago, Ritchez said:

Not IT but there are many Business Analyst roles in Edinburgh at the moment.

They tend to work closely with software developers and operational teams, so you would probably get some high level exposure to the IT space.

New projects popping up all the time and can be very well paid.

If the OP has the strong business knowledge of oil and gas then they might find it easier to find a desk job in it.

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, King prawn said:

Changed from insurance into IT myself and whilst I hate coding, there are a good number of job opportunities in many interesting companies. Started off coding for an artificial intelligence start up but ended up working with the e-learning developer which was really enjoyable. Used to go round companies delivering the training programme face-to-face.

1 thing against you is that there were many people on the course I did who could do things with a computer that I could never dream of being able to master. They've been doing this stuff for a decade. The thing that works massively in your favour is that the majority of people I came across in the industry couldn't maintain eye contact when having a conversation. Combine some social skills with a knowledge of the industry and you've got a great starting point.

I’ve found that with quite a few that I’ve got chatting to. Seriously clever folk, but awfully nervous shy types🤷🏼‍♂️

1 hour ago, kila said:

Learn Python

Depends whether you are targeting dev ops or application development.

C#/.Net or Java tend to be the main back end languages.

7 hours ago, Jee said:

Having worked with a number of CodeClan graduates, I think it's a great way to get a job in software development. I've heard the course is a lot of hard work, but it really does seem to set you up to do well in the industry. 

As mentioned above, their job placement percentage is really high and they partner with a lot of great companies. 

My Missus works for Code Clan, Go along to one of there open evenings and they will tell you everything you need to know and answer all your questions.