Toilet Rolls

H2

I see it's being reported that gastric problems are an early symptom with over half of the people who catch the virus.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambo-Jimbo

• The Real Maroonblood

• Mikey1874

• Marvin

Carl Fredrickson
33 minutes ago, ...a bit disco said:

Cat food and cat lit taking a hit now too.

Is that for folk who didnt get toilet paper?

10 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Is that for folk who didnt get toilet paper?

nope its like chick lit but for felines

1 hour ago, ...a bit disco said:

Cat food and cat lit taking a hit now too.

When at the shops last I had the notion to buy extra cat litter and food, the animal is better prepared than me.

3 hours ago, Marvin said:

When at the shops last I had the notion to buy extra cat litter and food, the animal is better prepared than me.

As long as you don't get as bad as my wife. She has bought bottled water, so the dogs will have water if there's any problem with the mains supply. :facepalm:

5 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

As long as you don't get as bad as my wife. She has bought bottled water, so the dogs will have water if there's any problem with the mains supply. :facepalm:

Better get out with some bin bags and catch some fresh air in case the air quality is compromised indoors too. 

20 minutes ago, gjcc said:

Better get out with some bin bags and catch some fresh air in case the air quality is compromised indoors too. 

Great idea. I can store them next to the emergency generator.

OmiyaHearts

No issues getting soap, sanitiser or loo rolls where I live. Fortunately, it's a mainly Asian community here, so no one is panicking buying and everyone looking out for each other. As I expected it to be.

Nav in the shop across the road from me said if anyone tries to bulk buy, they leave with nothing. Also asked me to let any older people know they can get the loo roll etc on tick, if they're struggling for cash.

It's good to have that type of community spirit to take the worry out of shopping. With my wifes wage now kind of sorted at 80%, my parents actually listening to me and staying in, the only issue now is me being a 'key worker', so still required to head in to town to work every day. The two other guys in my dept are now off on isolation, as their parents have the virus, so just need to keep going til I get it, then some time off!

11 hours ago, Marvin said:

So you panic bought cat litter and cat food?

17 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Not being argumentative but is buying a bit extra considered panic buying? Surely less trips to the shops is good?

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Not being argumentative but is buying a bit extra considered panic buying? Surely less trips to the shops is good?

People buying over and above their normal buying patterns is all contributing. If everybody buys an extra one of each product then...

Just now, Sooperstar said:

People buying over and above their normal buying patterns is all contributing. If everybody buys an extra one of each product then...

Not sure that’s right. The supermarkets usually have loads of everything. Would buying an extra one of certain items not just mean they had lower stock than normal. You’re maybe right but I’m not sure. 

26 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Yep, She will need it soon. The shelves in  my local Sainsbury are empty. Pets have to eat and shit too you know. I will be fine, just as long as the cat has her food, stimulus and a clean place to piss and shit. No more than we want for ourselves

highlandjambo3
On 19/03/2020 at 19:40, Carl Fredrickson said:

You would like to think so. Or I could take her blue badge with me. I will see how things are in the morning. 

Ah.....

think you may just have just triggered an idea for the next wave of panic buying scumbags methods of getting into supermarkets early to clear the shelves.

The Real Maroonblood
9 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

Proves who she loves more.

Carl Fredrickson
9 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Ah.....

think you may just have just triggered an idea for the next wave of panic buying scumbags methods of getting into supermarkets early to clear the shelves.

I read the notice on the Asda website Re the 6am-9am openings. It said they wanted this time to be for elderly etc but didnt state it was strictly for them. I went without my mum (not fair to ask her to go out and put herself at risk) and I was 5th in the queue at 5.45am. By 6am there was over 100 folk waiting. 

Nobody was asking or checking folk as they went in and it was a free for all.  I let a guy go in front of me as we entered as he was in a wheelchair and was being pushed.

Shelves still had limited or no stock. I managed to get nearly everything on my normal weekly shopping list. 

As I went to a checkout the woman in front of me had a trolly folk of bottled water. She was told to put 2 items back as she was only allowed 3 of the same item (the trolly was only different flavours of bottled water). She left a couple at a checkout that wasnt opened but the woman serving her told her to come back later for them!!!

Glad to be served I was making my way out when I noticed the guy in the wheelchair. His companion had he had managed to fill a trolley. I then witnessed a miracle. As they got out the door the guy in the wheelchair not only managed to walk but ran to his car pushing the wheelchair and opened the boot! 

Respect to the staff of the supermarkets who are getting little thanks but loads of abuse but I fear that things are going to get a lot worse at the shops.

highlandjambo3
2 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

I read the notice on the Asda website Re the 6am-9am openings. It said they wanted this time to be for elderly etc but didnt state it was strictly for them. I went without my mum (not fair to ask her to go out and put herself at risk) and I was 5th in the queue at 5.45am. By 6am there was over 100 folk waiting. 

Nobody was asking or checking folk as they went in and it was a free for all.  I let a guy go in front of me as we entered as he was in a wheelchair and was being pushed.

Shelves still had limited or no stock. I managed to get nearly everything on my normal weekly shopping list. 

As I went to a checkout the woman in front of me had a trolly folk of bottled water. She was told to put 2 items back as she was only allowed 3 of the same item (the trolly was only different flavours of bottled water). She left a couple at a checkout that wasnt opened but the woman serving her told her to come back later for them!!!

Glad to be served I was making my way out when I noticed the guy in the wheelchair. His companion had he had managed to fill a trolley. I then witnessed a miracle. As they got out the door the guy in the wheelchair not only managed to walk but ran to his car pushing the wheelchair and opened the boot! 

Respect to the staff of the supermarkets who are getting little thanks but loads of abuse but I fear that things are going to get a lot worse at the shops.

I agree..... peoples houses will be broken into for food.... delivery vans will be targeted as well.

Tesco Colinton was very short on certain things.   All the expected stuff but strangely short on bags of potatoes,  frozen chips,  fabric softener (wtf),  ready meals.    Plenty bread, rolls, eggs, milk, meat.     

When I was in there was a staff tannoy message "first aider to check-out".   For a few seconds I had visions of a full pelt shutdown because of a virus alert or something.

I managed to get some toilet roll today ( Lidl , Prestonpans) however no tinned stuff at all and more worryingly nae beer and the wine shelves were taking a pounding....😲😲

Edited by micole

2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Things might settle down a bit once all the supermarkets get their temp staff online.    30,000 across the industry.

Get the warehouses working more full on.

Also supplies from Europe etc should improve with roads cleared after mass movement. 

Toxteth O'Grady
2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Tesco Colinton was very short on certain things.   All the expected stuff but strangely short on bags of potatoes,  frozen chips,  fabric softener (wtf),  ready meals.    Plenty bread, rolls, eggs, milk, meat.     

When I was in there was a staff tannoy message "first aider to check-out".   For a few seconds I had visions of a full pelt shutdown because of a virus alert or something.

I went with a list for my mum and ended up in 5 different shops (Adsda Chesser then Aldi, M&S Foods, Food Warehouse and Poundland  to get everything - it wasn't even that much - about £40 worth in total.

Fabric softener was the last thing I found - I got Comfort in Poundland!

1 minute ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

I went with a list for my mum and ended up in 5 different shops (Adsda Chesser then Aldi, M&S Foods, Food Warehouse and Poundland  to get everything - it wasn't even that much - about £40 worth in total.

Fabric softener was the last thing I found - I got Comfort in Poundland!

I had to buy a beer keg sized Lenor.    

4 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Get the warehouses working more full on.

Also supplies from Europe etc should improve with roads cleared after mass movement. 

There's a bit of constipation in the supply chain with extra checks going on at borders.    It may well continue to cause knock-on problems for some time.

The Internet
49 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Todays panic seems to be beer - there were folk picking up the biggest packs they could find at 10am

Woman in front of us at the checkout in lidl was kicking off at the cashier cos she was trying to buy too many of the same beer and wasn't allowed. Full on huffing, throwing arms up and just generally having a wee tantrum. Embarrassing. Guess beer/alcohol sales will skyrocket with the pubs closing. 

Aside from that, the checkouts were a bit busier than usual and there's a lot of empty freezers but managed to get everything we usually do easily. Plenty toilet roll in home bargains. 

1 hour ago, micole said:

I managed to get some toilet roll today ( Lidl , Prestonpans) however no tinned stuff at all and more worryingly nae beer and the wine shelves were taking a pounding....😲😲

It was like that in the booze aisle of Sainsbury earlier today.

Toilet roll in Waitrose Comely Bank just now after extra PM delivery.

Own brand soft. 16 pack. £6. 

White pasta too.

Edited by Mikey1874

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, Mikey1874 said:

Toilet roll in Waitrose Comely Bank just now after extra PM delivery.

Own brand soft. 16 pack. £6. 

:laugh:

I was in a large store today and was surprised at how well-stocked the shelves were.  Plenty of most items, EXCEPT toilet paper, facial tissue, and pasta.  Zilch for those.

Soon I'll be heading back to the wartime years when cut up newspaper was all that was available for bog roll.  

Jambo-Jimbo
9 hours ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Todays panic seems to be beer - there were folk picking up the biggest packs they could find at 10am

I knew this was going to happen, and it's the reason why I ordered two cases from 2 different online beer shops on Tuesday.

Got both of them today  :mj_zivili:

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

17 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I knew this was going to happen, and it's the reason why I ordered two cases from 2 different online beer shops on Tuesday.

Got both of them today  :mj_zivili:

There’s still beer about. Got a 10 pack of Stella from Asda at The Jewel an hour or so ago and there was loads of other beers. 

Jambo-Jimbo
32 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

There’s still beer about. Got a 10 pack of Stella from Asda at The Jewel an hour or so ago and there was loads of other beers. 

Not really into Stella tbh, one of the cases was 16 bottles of Leffe Brune, a dark strong Belgian Abbey beer, that's the sort of beer I drink.

Besides I'm trying social distancing as much as I can, never been over the door for 3 days now.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

8 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Not really into Stella tbh, one of the cases was 16 bottles of Leffe Brune, a dark strong Belgian Abbey beer, that's the sort of beer I drink.

Besides I'm trying social distancing as much as I can, never been over the door for 3 days now.

Well done. Good you’re keeping clear of everyone. Yeah I just like fairly strong lager. Lots of that still about, thought it would be more difficult to get today because of pubs shutting. 

Jambo-Jimbo
8 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Well done. Good you’re keeping clear of everyone. Yeah I just like fairly strong lager. Lots of that still about, thought it would be more difficult to get today because of pubs shutting. 

It'll come, trust me, it'll come.

Seymour M Hersh
8 hours ago, weehammy said:

If you get sick official advice is while there is no treatment, mitigate symptoms with paracetamol.

Best of luck finding any of that. Supplies should have started being protected two months ago.

I noticed plenty of it in Sainsbury the other day and the wife noticed loads in Morrisons in the Gyle yesterday so hopefully there is enough now getting through to the stores. 

Jambo-Jimbo

Wife heard a few story's from work colleagues yesterday, who have family or friends who work in supermarkets.

The general consensus seems to be that a lot of people are out of control, they're behaving like animals, in fact animals are better behaved.

Don't know where this happened, but a old man was wandering around a supermarket trying to get a few odds and ends, well he had a 4 pack of bog roll in his trolley, he turned around to look at something on a shelf and when he turned back around somebody had nicked his bog roll out of his trolley.

Words fail me, how low can someone get to do that.

The Real Maroonblood
25 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Wife heard a few story's from work colleagues yesterday, who have family or friends who work in supermarkets.

The general consensus seems to be that a lot of people are out of control, they're behaving like animals, in fact animals are better behaved.

Don't know where this happened, but a old man was wandering around a supermarket trying to get a few odds and ends, well he had a 4 pack of bog roll in his trolley, he turned around to look at something on a shelf and when he turned back around somebody had nicked his bog roll out of his trolley.

Fortunately there a lot more decent people in the world.

3 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Fortunately there a lot more decent people in the world.

I think that’s a fair assessment. The filth grab the headlines but most people are honest and decent. 

55 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I saw an older lady in tears because the vultures down beside me had stripped the shelves bare of all toiletries. I asked a staff member to pinch a bog roll from staff toilet to help her. Respect to Sainsburys  staff. Good customer service albeit not quite as good as mine from when I worked in a supermarket 😛

13 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

Where have they all gone? Just nipped to Tesco to get some veg for soup and it’s deserted! I thought it had closed for some reason. 

checkout staff just sitting there doing nothing. 

Mad. 

Did you manage to get the soup?

1 hour ago, BarneyBattles said:

Where have they all gone? Just nipped to Tesco to get some veg for soup and it’s deserted! I thought it had closed for some reason. 

checkout staff just sitting there doing nothing. 

Mad. 

Quiet where I've just been.

Plenty food. No toilet roll / cleaning stuff. 

3 hours ago, BarneyBattles said:

I did. Scotch broth going in the slow cooker overnight. 

Thanks for asking 😃

Nice.

I was being serious.  Good to hear shops still have some stuff.

The Real Maroonblood
8 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

Plenty onions, leeks, carrot, celery etc. No turnips but got some diced swede. Decent stock, salt and pepper, pearl barley and dried peas. 

It’s been in the slow cooker for an hour. Smells fantastic already.

Will turn it off overnight and back on tomorrow. 

Crusty bread wit butter. Barry.  

Can you not just leave it on?

11 hours ago, weehammy said:

People sitting in front of the telly gorging on pasta, surrounded by bevvy, bog roll and boxes of paracetamol.

Welcome to the UK in 2020!

I thought I seen some@#£_ at ma windie.

9 hours ago, BarneyBattles said:

24 hours might be a bit much to be fair. Recipe says 6-8🤪

You've ruined it by putting celery in anyway. 

The Real Maroonblood
11 hours ago, BarneyBattles said:

24 hours might be a bit much to be fair. Recipe says 6-8🤪

👍

The slow cooker does a great job.