Things that effect you by the Virus.

hueyview

I am right slap on the most vulnerable list, but that is not what is bothering me. As a reasonably organised and person of routine, it is that my whole life routine is gone.we had our regular shopping days, our nice to do things days, and most importantly the I am not feeling well days when you went to see, or phone the doctor for an appointment and went to the pharmacist for the medicine, or if it was real bad call an ambulance and go to Emergency. Now its phone describe symptoms, if no other problems stay where you are and don;'t go out.My life of  organisation, knowledge of what to do have all been stripped from me and I am at a loss. 

When I say me I am not suggesting that I am uniquely the only person affected, I know we all are for our own different personal reasons.Strange times.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• redjambo

• Dagger Is Back

• Carl Fredrickson

• whodanny

7 hours ago, Zlatanable said:

You will know these things more than me, but thought I'd post it anyway. 

Zlatanable, thank you so much for this, and your kind comments. I have forwarded this to my daughter, she may be aware of some of it already, but it's a great help none the less. Today will be another day of phone calls, WhatsApp video calls, emails and anything else we can use to get her home. My wife's sister has been in touch with channel 4 news, and today my wife is contacting Radio Scotland, whatever measures we can think of. Emily Thornbury MP is aware of the situation, some 300 UK nationals are in NZ at the moment, she was instrumental in shaming the government into getting the stranded folk out of Peru. I can only thank you again for your help. Kickback can be such a great community.

9 hours ago, jonesy said:

Shitty situation, but try to take the positive that she’s in a relatively safe, English speaking country that looks like it knows what its doing. Looks like Emirates is still flying into Edinburgh, so perhaps dont give up hope on flights. 

It’ll all come good soon, most of us will be a bit skinter and with stories to tell. 

Jonesy, thanks for your comments, any words of support and encouragement are much appreciated at the moment.

scott herbertson
1 hour ago, whodanny said:

Zlatanable, thank you so much for this, and your kind comments. I have forwarded this to my daughter, she may be aware of some of it already, but it's a great help none the less. Today will be another day of phone calls, WhatsApp video calls, emails and anything else we can use to get her home. My wife's sister has been in touch with channel 4 news, and today my wife is contacting Radio Scotland, whatever measures we can think of. Emily Thornbury MP is aware of the situation, some 300 UK nationals are in NZ at the moment, she was instrumental in shaming the government into getting the stranded folk out of Peru. I can only thank you again for your help. Kickback can be such a great community.

Hope you get this sorted (as someone with an 18 year old daughter I can empathise with your situation) . Have lots of rellies in NZ but not auckland unfortunately, but if there is something a local could help with I'm sure my cousins would help 

7 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

Hope you get this sorted (as someone with an 18 year old daughter I can empathise with your situation) . Have lots of rellies in NZ but not auckland unfortunately, but if there is something a local could help with I'm sure my cousins would help 

Scott, that's very kind of you. We have one or two possible contacts, one of whom is in Auckland but any further assistance is always a help. Will let you know if there's anything. Thanks again.

On 21/03/2020 at 22:03, hughesie27 said:

Meant to be buying and moving into a house in 4 weeks. Hoping this doesn't stop that.

House buying has been suspended indefinitely. 

Even worse for my mate who had signed the missives and was due to move on Friday!

2 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

I had no idea about this. And, apologies, I hadn't even thought about it. 

Will your process complete in the future, or has it gone.

Will your friend be able to complete their process.

I hope it works out for you, and for you friend. 

Aye it should all go ahead as normal provided no parties pull out. The place we are buying is owned by folk moving to a new build which is due in September. Good chance that will be delayed now which may force them to make a decision. 

Fortunately our buyer is a first time buyer which is best case scenario at the moment. 

My mate is in a better position where his new place is currently empty anyway. They've already packed up most of their stuff though.

I could certainly be in a much worse situation so as disappointing as it is it was half expected and nothing anyone can do about it. Except stay the **** inside!

Carl Fredrickson
On 23/03/2020 at 22:52, redjambo said:

We're facing this as well. I also hope that they relax the regulations during the crisis.

6 month extension to MoTs. My insurance needs renewed before my MoT is due which is a bit of a blessing

image.png.30775c7364bc030b785865634a16c39c.png

48 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

6 month extension to MoTs. My insurance needs renewed before my MoT is due which is a bit of a blessing

image.png.30775c7364bc030b785865634a16c39c.png

Thanks, Carl. :thumbsup:

Darkwhisky7
On 24/03/2020 at 09:43, jonesy said:

Shitty situation, but try to take the positive that she’s in a relatively safe, English speaking country that looks like it knows what its doing. Looks like Emirates is still flying into Edinburgh, so perhaps dont give up hope on flights. 

It’ll all come good soon, most of us will be a bit skinter and with stories to tell. 

I’m still in Australia with my son desperately trying to get home early, Emirates cancelled all the Edinburgh flights and told us on Monday with an email, my mate who is also over here and was booked to go back home with them to Edinburgh on Tuesday knew about this on Friday so the communication from them hasn’t been great, I only found out on Monday all my flights home with Emirates were cancelled through my travel agent, nothing from Emirates, to rub salt into the wound I’ve been told I won’t get a refund, just a voucher, ragin’! This will go on for months. I’ve been quoted ridiculous prices by almost all the airlines, they’re cashing in big time. Prices were going up literally by hundreds by the minute as my son and me tried numerous websites to get any flights out of here, we’ve heard horror stories that folk paid BA and they weren’t allowed on the flight as Singapore refused transit passengers, the plane flew out with a tiny amount of passengers and over 100 brits left behind. Today they’ve agreed to BA flying people home to the UK by letting them stay on the plane while it refuels in Singapore, I hope so as my mate is getting on it tomorrow. We’ve paid a lot of money for flights home on Friday but until I’m on that plane I won’t relax, if it’s cancelled we could be here for weeks. It’s via Indonesia and Amsterdam then Glasgow. It’s chaos and I can’t complain too much as we are not ill thankfully, it is unprecedented times but I’ve not a lot of faith in the government or the airlines doing a lot to help people who can’t shell out for inflated prices and will be stuck abroad. Hope it works out for your daughter mate.

Darkwhisky7

Just realised it’s Whodanny who’s daughter is stuck in NZ, sorry! Really hope it works out ok for her and anyone else in a similar position, it’s not nice and a big worry for family, as well as worrying about the virus.

John Gentleman

My superannuation (retirement savings) have had 30% knocked off them due to the sharemarket 'crash'. I'm 66 so don't have the miles left in me to sit it out and await a recovery. Fortunately, I'm in secure employment so I'll grit my teeth and just keep going for the forseeable/as long as I'm able.

I'll probably end up retiring 'horizontally', as it were. I had hoped to buy a wee retirement place, but unless they also reduce in price by 30% that looks like a distant dream. Such is life, I guess. The dice always seem loaded against working folk, yes?

Toxteth O'Grady
5 minutes ago, John Gentleman said:

My superannuation (retirement savings) have had 30% knocked off them due to the sharemarket 'crash'. I'm 66 so don't have the miles left in me to sit it out and await a recovery. Fortunately, I'm in secure employment so I'll grit my teeth and just keep going for the forseeable/as long as I'm able.

I'll probably end up retiring 'horizontally', as it were. I had hoped to buy a wee retirement place, but unless they also reduce in price by 30% that looks like a distant dream. Such is life, I guess. The dice always seem loaded against working folk, yes?

Small consolation but there will be many like you.

The markets should have been suspended to stop this.

Still working 

Cant go to footy

Cant play gigs

Cant go to gigs

Cant go to Costa

Cant go to the gym, even at work 

First world problems though

21 hours ago, John Gentleman said:

Can sympathize.

Just about to hit retirement and my Pension Fund just took a pretty massive hit . Trying to be positive and hope that when this passes there will be a massive positive reaction to redress the situation.

Never seems to work like that though - we live in hope.

Stay safe that is the most important thing.

35 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Can sympathize.

Just about to hit retirement and my Pension Fund just took a pretty massive hit . Trying to be positive and hope that when this passes there will be a massive positive reaction to redress the situation.

Never seems to work like that though - we live in hope.

Stay safe that is the most important thing.

My money squirrelled away in stocks was down by around 19% but has already recovered to -8% so once lockdowns etc are over i'd expect to see a fairly swift recovery (unless you are invested in airlines etc)  

On 25/03/2020 at 10:07, Carl Fredrickson said:

The 6 month extension will be great for me as my car came with a full years MOT which would have meant that MOT and insurance would be due at the same time, now if there's anything wrong with the car at MOT at least it wouldn't be the same time as forking out for insurance

Carl Fredrickson
55 minutes ago, Ribble said:

The 6 month extension will be great for me as my car came with a full years MOT which would have meant that MOT and insurance would be due at the same time, now if there's anything wrong with the car at MOT at least it wouldn't be the same time as forking out for insurance

Ditto. Every cloud etc

1 hour ago, Ribble said:

My money squirrelled away in stocks was down by around 19% but has already recovered to -8% so once lockdowns etc are over i'd expect to see a fairly swift recovery (unless you are invested in airlines etc)  

👍 We live in hope

John Gentleman
6 hours ago, Ribble said:

I've got my nuts invested in the 'conservative balanced' option rather than the default 'balanced' profile, the latter having a much higher weighting to the stockmarkets. Fat lot of good that did me. Anyhoos, they (as in economists, assorted) are predicting house price falls of >20% in Australia so I might still have a bit of a chance. Hoping against hope that they come up with some sort of treatment for this virus in the interim, until a vaccine is released.

Darkwhisky7
On 26/03/2020 at 05:51, Zlatanable said:

Firstly, I'm sorry to hear your story. I hope things work out. 

I looked on Twitter and found 

and 

(which is about 21 hours old now, from the British High Commissioner to Australia)

Best wishes. 

Hi Zlatan, sorry I didn’t reply earlier, just reading this now. I’m lucky, we paid over the odds and got flights out of Oz today, still a long way from home at the moment but we’re on our way! Thanks for looking at that for us, every little helps!
 It’s been crazy, a lot of horror stories, people getting denied entry onto flights at the last minute, flights going back all the way to the UK with no food, massive queues at the airports, we told a little lie to get through border control otherwise I think we might have been held back. They asked if we had been to other countries in the last 14 days and where, we had been to Singapore and got into Oz 23 hours before they shut it to foreigners coming in. I said it had been 14 days ago when, when in actual fact it had been 13. We have been temperature checked every day etc. If we had been refused boarding who pays for the extortionate fares we booked, I can’t see the airlines doing it. It’s a huge mess, I’ve already been told Emirates won’t refund all my original flights and I’ll get a voucher, that will be right! 😡

A lot of people are being taken advantage of and it’ll cost some a fortune, health is more important for us all just now but some things are inexcusable.

Tonight Qatar want £16,000 for a flight back to the UK! Mental.

Thanks again mate, hope it works out for everyone. Take care, stay safe.

On 25/03/2020 at 11:30, Darkwhisky7 said:

Just realised it’s Whodanny who’s daughter is stuck in NZ, sorry! Really hope it works out ok for her and anyone else in a similar position, it’s not nice and a big worry for family, as well as worrying about the virus.

On 23/03/2020 at 22:43, jonesy said:

On 24/03/2020 at 00:03, Zlatanable said:

That is a lot to deal with. 

I imagine the effort to look after your parents is tiring in these conditions, let alone the situation with your daughter.

I hope things work out for you all. Take care. 

On 24/03/2020 at 00:51, Zlatanable said:

You will know these things more than me, but thought I'd post it anyway. 

On 24/03/2020 at 09:29, scott herbertson said:

Hi guys, I'm delighted and relieved to tell you that my Daughter and her boyfriend have just landed at Heathrow. We managed to get them booked on a flght from Auckland via Los Angeles, she had an excrutiating 16 hour wait at LAX before Departing at around 6am (our time) this morning. They touched down at Heathrow just a few minutes ago. They still have to endure an overnight bus to St James bus station, but the longest haul is done. I just want to say thanks to all of you who expressed concern. HHGH.

1 minute ago, Zlatanable said:

That's good to hear. 

Take care.

Thanks man. You too.

20 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Nice one. Hope she gets home safe and sound. Will be a story and a half to tell in years to come!

Thanks Jonesy. This has been one weird, hectic week for my wife and I, trying to figure a way to get her home. In the end, despite talking to MPs, MSPs, local councillors and even emailing the first minister herself, it was just sheer damn persistance with Trailfinders, the travel company, that got us there. I can't praise Trailfinders highly enough, they never gave up. I'm mindful that there are still UK folk stuck in New Zealand and many other countries, I hope it works out for all of them. 

That's what it's been like for us. It's my daughter who'll have the real tale to tell.

scott herbertson
1 hour ago, whodanny said:

Hi guys, I'm delighted and relieved to tell you that my Daughter and her boyfriend have just landed at Heathrow. We managed to get them booked on a flght from Auckland via Los Angeles, she had an excrutiating 16 hour wait at LAX before Departing at around 6am (our time) this morning. They touched down at Heathrow just a few minutes ago. They still have to endure an overnight bus to St James bus station, but the longest haul is done. I just want to say thanks to all of you who expressed concern. HHGH.

Excellent - thanks for the update and glad you got it sorted out.

Private Hire Licence extended for three months til the end of June. Not that'll use it, but hey, appreciated.

39 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

Excellent - thanks for the update and glad you got it sorted out.

Thanks Scott.

On 27/03/2020 at 15:15, whodanny said:

Great news. You all take care.

Doctor FinnBarr
On 27/03/2020 at 16:10, whodanny said:

Thanks Jonesy. This has been one weird, hectic week for my wife and I, trying to figure a way to get her home. In the end, despite talking to MPs, MSPs, local councillors and even emailing the first minister herself, it was just sheer damn persistance with Trailfinders, the travel company, that got us there. I can't praise Trailfinders highly enough, they never gave up. I'm mindful that there are still UK folk stuck in New Zealand and many other countries, I hope it works out for all of them. 

That's what it's been like for us. It's my daughter who'll have the real tale to tell.

brilliant news mate

17 hours ago, redjambo said:

Great news. You all take care.

11 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

brilliant news mate

Thanks guys. It's a big relief.

spirt of 98

At the start I thought ok the gyms shut. I play golf so thought I’ll just do that but they closed the courses too. 

At first I was annoyed as it’s easy to safely play. That was until i went to the course and found people in groups chatting in the car park. At was  at that point I realised people are idiots and cant be trusted to follow rules / guidance so everything has to be closed.

We could be through this in week if it wasn’t for the selfish folk. 

What about the Strathclyde park crowds at the weekend 🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡

Just had a call from Bristol's Southmead Hospital neurosurgery department cancelling my pre-op assessment on Wednesday. So will no doubt hear soon about a new appointment. 

Bindy Badgy

Had a phone call from my dentiststating that my appointment in June has been cancelled. Apparently the Scottish Government have told them to cancel all appointments until further notice.

Obviously, this is monor compared to other stuff in this thread but, be aware if you an appointment coming up.

4 minutes ago, Stokesy said:

Had a phone call from my dentiststating that my appointment in June has been cancelled. Apparently the Scottish Government have told them to cancel all appointments until further notice.

Obviously, this is monor compared to other stuff in this thread but, be aware if you an appointment coming up.

I'm surprised to be told my dentist appointment at end of this month is still going ahead :wacko: 

19 minutes ago, Stokesy said:

As far as I had been aware, many were cancelling non-urgent appointments (routine check-ups etc.). If you have a dental emergency or pain etc., you will still be seen, at least by someone in the area. Perhaps someone with more knowledge can fill us in with the correct information.

Bindy Badgy
5 minutes ago, redjambo said:

As far as I had been aware, many were cancelling non-urgent appointments (routine check-ups etc.). If you have a dental emergency or pain etc., you will still be seen, at least by someone in the area. Perhaps someone with more knowledge can fill us in with the correct information.

That would make sense as I was booked in for a scale and polish so it doesn't really matter if it gets knocked back a few months.