• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• redjambo

• Dagger Is Back

• Carl Fredrickson

• whodanny

Jambof3tornado
1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Many many people will die all over the World due to this, that I'm afraid is the simple fact of this crisis.

Is that you Boris???

Slowing down the rate of infection is now massive. Still too many people not social distancing. Each country will have unique issues in dealing with this. 

On a positive note I'm back to work on the ambulance tomorrow...........can I work from home please?!?!

davemclaren
1 minute ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Is that you Boris???

Slowing down the rate of infection is now massive. Still too many people not social distancing. Each country will have unique issues in dealing with this. 

On a positive note I'm back to work on the ambulance tomorrow...........can I work from home please?!?!

Good luck. I think you are going to be busy. 

20 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Lots of my gigs have cancelled which leaves me in a fairly big financial pickle. No tourists means no money being made in that regards. Dunno how I am going to survive. Wife only works part time and she has already asked her boss for more hours but unfortunately he is in the same position. Talking about shutting his resturant during the day as he has no customers.

Utterly dire and I will admit I am hugely stressed and worried about it all. 

Two kids to feed. Couldn't care less about myself. If it wasn't so serious I would laugh in all honestly. 

Feel for everyone who is going through finacial difficulties and anyone with Ill health I wish the best. This period is sobering and when things recover and get better again I will certainly appreciate it far more. 

This is where our government should be stepping in like the French have done.Nobody should be having to worry about financial things at time like this.

3 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

We are a 6 GP practice- should be 8 but recruitment has been difficult

we now have 2 GP 's in self isolation, so we are now half staffed for the next 2 weeks

the last week has been utterly hellish already

hundreds of phone calls per day

loads of the elderly now getting housecalls

already been in work since 6am.

this is a feckin nightmare

All the best to you and your colleagues, DJ.

doctor jambo
10 minutes ago, redjambo said:

All the best to you and your colleagues, DJ.

We are all ****ed.

having a crisis meeting later.

general practice shuts, the hospitals will be next!

any doc/nurse/ cleaner/ who has a kid with a cough will be out the game for 2 weeks😷💉

Jambof3tornado
22 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Good luck. I think you are going to be busy. 

Important that people follow the clear instructions from the government ........... lol. 

Jambof3tornado
1 minute ago, doctor jambo said:

We are all ****ed.

having a crisis meeting later.

general practice shuts, the hospitals will be next!

any doc/nurse/ cleaner/ who has a kid with a cough will be out the game for 2 weeks😷💉

Need to push for testing for healthcare staff.We are the same. Slightest cough you are out of action and they dont seem to be pushing to test crews if unwell.

doctor jambo
Just now, Jambof3tornado said:

Need to push for testing for healthcare staff.We are the same. Slightest cough you are out of action and they dont seem to be pushing to test crews if unwell.

We need exempt from the isolation rules- end of.

I got a email last night saying the company I work for are having to cut back staff, I just joined a month ago so looks like I'm out the door, I've already got a interview for first bus next week so it's not the end of the world but just a bit shit cause I got paid to drive about the highlands which was great.

Just now, Jambof3tornado said:

That surely has to be done now. Can’t have front line staff off with no testing.

Jambof3tornado
5 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

We need exempt from the isolation rules- end of.

How quickly are you getting results back?? Think crews showing sniffles are ten a penny. Be down to nobody shortly!!!

doctor jambo
54 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

How quickly are you getting results back?? Think crews showing sniffles are ten a penny. Be down to nobody shortly!!!

2 days

Jambof3tornado
13 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

2 days

Aye you are no quicker that us. Think we just need to keep plodding on. Another crew now self isolating as they went to a job that was nothing to do with covid but the patient was showing symptoms upon arrival but by then its too late and the crew were exposed.

Tough times ahead.

Beginning to think I'd sooner catch it now and be done with it!!!

doctor jambo
27 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Aye you are no quicker that us. Think we just need to keep plodding on. Another crew now self isolating as they went to a job that was nothing to do with covid but the patient was showing symptoms upon arrival but by then its too late and the crew were exposed.

Tough times ahead.

Beginning to think I'd sooner catch it now and be done with it!!!

We should be infected in a rotation , so we can all be off in a structured manner.

apart from psychiatry who do nothing useful anyway

8 hours ago, vegas-voss said:

This is where our government should be stepping in like the French have done.Nobody should be having to worry about financial things at time like this.

Got no choice but to claim universal credits. First time since I was 18. Wish I didn't have to but I am not ashamed either. This is pretty unique circumstances

8 hours ago, vegas-voss said:

Where is France going to get the money for what they're saying?

6 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Where is France going to get the money for what they're saying?

It's not last night it looked like it was different on the news but today it's pretty much along the same lines as the UK ( €300m but it's loans ) and the US in fact all nations I have seen mentioned on the news.

11 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Got no choice but to claim universal credits. First time since I was 18. Wish I didn't have to but I am not ashamed either. This is pretty unique circumstances

Of course you haven't.Hopefully they announced something to help you out in the next few days though.

2 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

It's not last night it looked like it was different on the news but today it's pretty much along the same lines as the UK ( €300m but it's loans ) and the US in fact all nations I have seen mentioned on the news.

This is going to be kick in the baws for the EU, how many countries will be able to afford the anual EU payment plus pay out the sums they are promising, Germany won't be happy with the bill they'll  be left with!! Does go to show the benefits of borders though.

Dagger Is Back
4 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

And neither you should buddy. That’s what the system is there for and you’ve contributed to that system for your working life.

I hope you get the support you need and deserve

Take care man 

...a bit disco
8 hours ago, Zlatanable said:

What a thread this is. 

I wanted to be as honest as I could, and knew I had to read every post first.

So many stories.

I am Autistic, and I am currently , continuously overwhelmed. I can actually deal with this, mostly. 

My weak area is communication and language, and relationships. 

I realise I am losing my connections, and probably for at least weeks or months.

For me, I am scared about losing my ability to communicate. I don't want to go weeks without interacting with people, in person. I can lose my language. 

I can end up not speaking for a long time.   

I am not saying this so you worry about me. I will more than likely be fine. Please don't worry about me.

I wanted to express this situation, from me. 

Stay safe mate.

My autistic stepson over in Fife is looking at this as an opportunity to sit on his Xbox for a few weeks. Every cloud and all that!

Anyway, look after yourself and take good care of your mental health.

On 17/03/2020 at 20:12, vegas-voss said:

Of course you haven't.Hopefully they announced something to help you out in the next few days though.

Managed to secure a interview with Iceland for a temp job doing deliveries. 30 hours a week pretty rapid response. Applied last night for in touch this afternoon interview on Friday. Must be desperate due to the demand. Works out great for me and them as I don't want the job permanently anyways and it will be great to help out in a small way as well.

Edited by AlimOzturk

Dagger Is Back
9 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Managed to secure a interview with Iceland for a temp job doing deliveries. 30 hours a week pretty rapid response. Applied last night for in touch this afternoon interview on Friday. Must be desperate due to the demand. Works out great for me and them as I don't want the job permanently anyways and it will be great to help out in a small way as well.

You’ve not got a link or contact have you Alim? After today I need to get sorted

Anyone looking for a job to tide them over just need to look at supermarkets.  Some even have notices asking for staff urgently. 

10 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

You’ve not got a link or contact have you Alim? After today I need to get sorted

https://app.kallidusrecruit.com/Iceland/VacancyInformation.aspx?VId=55927&m=p&source=uk-works.info

That's the one I am going for

I just went onto the Iceland website as I seen it posted on a Facebook job group. Though there is Tesco's and Sainsbury's jobs going about indeed website mate

I don't even think it is the above shop I am interviewing for think it is Portobello road. 

Edit...royal mail as well are looking for staff. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

6 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Good stuff 

Dagger Is Back
7 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

https://app.kallidusrecruit.com/Iceland/VacancyInformation.aspx?VId=55927&m=p&source=uk-works.info

That's the one I am going for

I just went onto the Iceland website as I seen it posted on a Facebook job group. Though there is Tesco's and Sainsbury's jobs going about indeed website mate

I don't even think it is the above shop I am interviewing for think it is Portobello road. 

Edit...royal mail as well are looking for staff. 

Thank you very much. I went into Tesco at HG yesterday looking for work but was directed to their website which had nothing 

Good luck on Friday

highlandjambo3
On 16/03/2020 at 16:17, Carl Fredrickson said:

Dont know where you are based but Sainsburys at Straiton and Lidl (or is it Aldi) at Wester Hailes both had plenty of baby stuff today. 

My daughter loves spaghetti and I am down to the last few strands of it. I havent seen so many empty shelves in my life. Went on a soap hunt yesterday and today as I am running out and got some in Costco. They had a nice wooden garden bench but no spaghetti. 

Anywhere west of Livingston should have huge stocks of soap 😀

Doctor FinnBarr

My 94 year old dementia suffering dad has been in lockdown in his care home since Friday the 13th. Care home has now set up a closed facebook page (monitored by management) so we can video call him on Messenger if we give staff a bit of warning so they can have a phone near him.

Downside of all this is our grandaughter was born 7 weeks ago and we're having to distance ourselves in case we happen to be carriers.

Upside of all this is, 1 week ago I was an unskilled warehouse operative with the Coop, now I'm a "key worker".

luckyBatistuta
On 17/03/2020 at 10:47, Marvin said:

My manager has just sent me home because I have underlying health conditions :pleasing:

Surely he should have been at home at the time he employed you :look:

4 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Meant to be buying and moving into a house in 4 weeks. Hoping this doesn't stop that.

Are the folk buying your house in a chain? 

Looks like we all could end up as delivery driver for the supermarkets. I think my sites will be shutting soon. That's the talk, anyway. 

A Boy Named Crow

It's quite concerning how little has been impacted here in Australia. I get the feeling we'll pay for this down the road. Last week the NSW government  let 3,000 people just get off a cruise ship that had covid19 positive passengers, utter madness!

Then there was the crass stupidity of thousands of backpackers flocking to Bondi on Friday (it was 35 degrees, so y'know). They've officially closed the beaches now,  but too late, there a now countless people roaming the streets who may or may not have been infected.

We've been working from home,  postponed our honeymoon (again) and are generally trying to keep out  of the way,  but what can you do when so many folk don't give a monkey's???

There's a good chance non- essential shops,  pubs and restaurants will be closed from tonight,  but they're weeks behind in reacting  to this. Things could Getty really grim here in the next few weeks. 

4 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Surely he should have been at home at the time he employed you :look:

Are the folk buying your house in a chain? 

It's my missus flat thats being sold and the buyer is a first time buyer which is good. Hopefully his work hasn't been impacted.

The folk we are buying from are moving into their parents until their new build is completed (due September).

Jambo-Jimbo
3 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

It's quite concerning how little has been impacted here in Australia. I get the feeling we'll pay for this down the road. Last week the NSW government  let 3,000 people just get off a cruise ship that had covid19 positive passengers, utter madness!

Then there was the crass stupidity of thousands of backpackers flocking to Bondi on Friday (it was 35 degrees, so y'know). They've officially closed the beaches now,  but too late, there a now countless people roaming the streets who may or may not have been infected.

We've been working from home,  postponed our honeymoon (again) and are generally trying to keep out  of the way,  but what can you do when so many folk don't give a monkey's???

There's a good chance non- essential shops,  pubs and restaurants will be closed from tonight,  but they're weeks behind in reacting  to this. Things could Getty really grim here in the next few weeks. 

Seen that on the news, madness utter madness.

In saying that, we also have our own nutters, pubs up and down the country packed on Friday night before they got closed and then yesterday which was a pleasant day, lots of people out in parks and the likes, which has prompted the National Trust to close all of it's parks, houses and other attractions from today because people were just ignoring social distancing advice.

John Gentleman

What to add? There's reports of number of candidate vaccines now being made ready for human trials. I say, skip it and just proceed to theraputic application. Starting off with limited cohorts of people. What's to lose compared to what we're currently doing?

1 minute ago, John Gentleman said:

What to add? There's reports of number of candidate vaccines now being made ready for human trials. I say, skip it and just proceed to theraputic application. Starting off with limited cohorts of people. What's to lose compared to what we're currently doing?

Horrendous side effects that aren't closely monitored?

Jambo-Jimbo
6 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

Update: Several backpackers in the Bondi Beach area have now tested positive for coronavirus.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-backpackers-infected-in-australias-bondi-beach-area-11961715

John Gentleman
2 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Horrendous side effects that aren't closely monitored?

You can never rule it out, but we're pretty experienced with creating vaccines for corona-type viruses. They've already done the animal trials.

luckyBatistuta
5 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

It's my missus flat thats being sold and the buyer is a first time buyer which is good. Hopefully his work hasn't been impacted.

The folk we are buying from are moving into their parents until their new build is completed (due September).

🤞 for you buddy. I’m in a similar situation too. We have sold and the couple don’t have a house to sell, but we haven’t found a house for ourselves yet. 

1 hour ago, luckyBatistuta said:

🤞 for you buddy. I’m in a similar situation too. We have sold and the couple don’t have a house to sell, but we haven’t found a house for ourselves yet. 

And you. Good time to get a mortgage!

A Boy Named Crow
10 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Update: Several backpackers in the Bondi Beach area have now tested positive for coronavirus.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-backpackers-infected-in-australias-bondi-beach-area-11961715

There you have it.  Not sure how it works,  would someone infected on Friday have tested positive already? The completely unnecessary risk is now walking the streets though. I've got two friends who are going ahead with their wedding thus evening,  with somethinglike 40 guests. I get that is a wedding,  butter big day etc,  but no way an I going anywhere near it. 

13 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Seen that on the news, madness utter madness.

In saying that, we also have our own nutters, pubs up and down the country packed on Friday night before they got closed and then yesterday which was a pleasant day, lots of people out in parks and the likes, which has prompted the National Trust to close all of it's parks, houses and other attractions from today because people were just ignoring social distancing advice.

Aye,  we live on Oxford St, which of usually mobbed on Friday and Saturday night. This weekend it was dead,  so it seems like the message is getting through.  The government have just announced now that pubs and restaurants are shut - the PM said (and I'm paraphrasing) "We told you the risks and you didn't listen,  you can't be trusted,  so we're shutting everything for your own good". 

Australia is still well behind on the evasive measures front though. 

Carl Fredrickson

Car was booked in for a service and MoT today. Checked with them on Friday and they said it was still on. Text at 7.30am this morning to say they are now closed. Managed to get a booking for another local garage for 7th April but they said they might be closed by then. My MoT runs out on 10th April. 

I expect DVLA (or whatever they are now called( will allow dispensations due to the circumstances. 

Just now, Carl Fredrickson said:

Car was booked in for a service and MoT today. Checked with them on Friday and they said it was still on. Text at 7.30am this morning to say they are now closed. Managed to get a booking for another local garage for 7th April but they said they might be closed by then. My MoT runs out on 10th April. 

I expect DVLA (or whatever they are now called( will allow dispensations due to the circumstances. 

Doubt it.

Carl Fredrickson
2 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Doubt it.

They are currently doing 3 month dispensations for HGVs. Doubt they would fine folk for not having MoTs without garages being open. 

I hope this is the right thread. I've not posted much lately, not read too much either. Partly because it's depressing but mainly because our 18 year old daughter is stranded in New Zealand and we're going nuts trying to get her home. The Airline, Emirates, pulled the plug on her return flight and the travel company, Trailfinders, are seemingly powerless to help. They advised talking to the British consulate in Aukland, daughter said they were very unhelpful. My wife and I have contacted our MPs office who have advised that we contact the travel company. Meanwhile our daughter has had to book AirBnB accomodation at over £400/wk as the backpackers hostel will be closed. We are trying to isolate/distance ourselves as per the Govt. advice, but I'm still trying to keep food and supplies going in to my elderly parents. So, yeah, this is how we are being affected at the moment. Hope nobody minds, I needed to vent a wee bit. Seeing it written down kind of helps. Stay Safe. HHGH.

9 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

We're facing this as well. I also hope that they relax the regulations during the crisis.

davemclaren
38 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Shitty situation, but try to take the positive that she’s in a relatively safe, English speaking country that looks like it knows what its doing. Looks like Emirates is still flying into Edinburgh, so perhaps dont give up hope on flights. 

It’ll all come good soon, most of us will be a bit skinter and with stories to tell. 

Most of us will be skinter in various ways but getting through it is the important thing.