Things that effect you by the Virus.

hueyview

On 14/03/2020 at 02:12, Cruyff said:

Absolutely shitting it for older family members with underlying health issues. 

I'd be really worried about my dad if he catches it tbh. 

:sob:

My old man is 72 and he's trying to stay in doors as much as possible just now.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• redjambo

• Dagger Is Back

• Carl Fredrickson

• whodanny

1 hour ago, Ted (Theodore) Logan said:

My old man is 72 and he's trying to stay in doors as much as possible just now.

Mine too, staying inside the pub.

Trapper John McIntyre

My old mum has dementia and is in sheltered housing. 

I've stopped all visits from family except quick ones from myself to get her messages in. Newspapers are a lifeline to her and she would probably rather be without food than a daily read, God bless her! So I have to try and get these to her regularly too.

She's in a very nice place with excellent staff to keep an eye on her. But I suppose you just have to be sensible and keep contact down to the minimum. She's very much at the 'at risk' category so better be safe and listen to advice.

19 minutes ago, Trapper John McIntyre said:

I've stopped all visits from family except quick ones from myself to get her messages in. Newspapers are a lifeline to her and she would probably rather be without food than a daily read, God bless her! So I have to try and get these to her regularly too.

She's in a very nice place with excellent staff to keep an eye on her. But I suppose you just have to be sensible and keep contact down to the minimum. She's very much at the 'at risk' category so better be safe and listen to advice.

I'm glad your Mum is in a safe place. The advice to self-isolate older people is going to hurt them almost as badly as the virus - isolation and lack of social contact is the worst thing they already often endure. My mother-in-law manages at home with daily visits and delivering groceries etc. The isolation even with those visits since her husband died is already painful for her. 

Carers, family members who run messages and check in cannot simply stop doing this work. What a terrible situation . :( 

2 hours ago, Trapper John McIntyre said:

Good Lad! look after yer wee maw, Trapper. 👍  Hopefully the brains of the world will solve this problem, soon. 

Bindy Badgy
On 14/03/2020 at 00:41, redjambo said:

Fear. I live with my two elderly parents (no, not in the basement, before anyone says anything). If I were somehow to blame for catching the virus and passing it on to my parents (one of whom meets almost all the "at risk" criteria), I'd find it a tad difficult to live with. So, I'm having to curtail almost everything to make sure that doesn't happen.

My mum started chemotherapy a month or two ago. Everything has been going as well as can be expected but, I now need to consider whether or not it's ok for me to spend time around her after being at work, visiting friends and so on. I'm not showing any symptoms but, that doesn't mean I'm not carrying it.

10 minutes ago, Stokesy said:

My mum started chemotherapy a month or two ago. Everything has been going as well as can be expected but, I now need to consider whether or not it's ok for me to spend time around her after being at work, visiting friends and so on. I'm not showing any symptoms but, that doesn't mean I'm not carrying it.

Perhaps better to be safe than sorry, although that would be a difficult decision to make. If you're confident enough that you're taking sufficient precautions not to pass anything on then you might be ok. It would probably be best to ask the folk in charge of her chemo.

All best wishes to your mum, Stokesy, and to you.

gashauskis9

Other than worrying about my Mum, the potential mental health impact and deeper physical impact a lockdown situation could bring.  For the sake of my sanity, and to cure my anxiety, I walk the equivalent of 10 miles a day.  This has huge physical and mental benefits for me, so the idea of my exercise being restricted to pacing around my back garden, while being distanced from my family, scares the shit out of me.  

Edited by Gashauskis9

2 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Other than worrying about my Mum, the potential mental health impact and deeper physical impact a lockdown situation could bring.  For the sake of my sanity, and to cure my anxiety, I walk the equivalent of 10 miles a day.  This has huge physical and mental benefits for me, so the idea of my exercise being restricted to pacing around my back garden, while being distanced from my family, scares the shit out of me.  

This may a seem a weird idea. The idea of isolating folk is to protect them from viral transmission. However, if someone walks out their front door and goes for a walk without touching anything or interacting with anyone, they will be fine. Not so easy for someone living in the city centre, admittedly. Perhaps we could adopt some sort of colour signal where the "isolated" would wear a yellow scarf to show that they were being isolated and to ask no-one to approach them. Or perhaps have times during the week when it was known that the isolated were "out and about" and folk were warned not to approach or interact with other folk.

gashauskis9
2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

This may a seem a weird idea. The idea of isolating folk is to protect them from viral transmission. However, if someone walks out their front door and goes for a walk without touching anything or interacting with anyone, they will be fine. Not so easy for someone living in the city centre, admittedly. Perhaps we could adopt some sort of colour signal where the "isolated" would wear a yellow scarf to show that they were being isolated and to ask no-one to approach them. Or perhaps have times during the week when it was known that the isolated were "out and about" and folk were warned not to approach or interact with other folk.

I wouldn’t mind that, but if we go the way of Italy and Spain then it’s full blown stay in doors treatment with the army patrolling.  

Im not self isolating at the moment btw.

Edited by Gashauskis9

16 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Reading this has really touched me.

There are so many good people on JKB, working hard to provide for their families, each with their own problems and responsibilities. 

At the end of the day football means absolutely nothing when our families and our loved ones are affected by what is going on. 

Take care of yourselves and each other. 

The phrase "it's only a game" has never felt more appropriate than just now.

Just now, Gashauskis9 said:

I wouldn’t mind that, but if we go the way of Italy and Spain then it’s full blown stay in doors treatment with the army patrolling.  

I hope not. That only works with full isolationism, or in a system where you have to show permits/identification to show why you're outside, and I hope we don't experience either of these.

Unsure atm how my life will be affected by this. My mum and hers won’t make it if they get infected, my uncle who has cancer won’t see it through either so I wouldn’t want to be a carrier.

My work is in retail although we don’t sell essentials so while I reckon we should be shut, I doubt it’ll happen which leaves us as sitting ducks if people who have symptoms decide they want to come in.

Food shopping is proving to be a nightmare. Our kids are picky but luckily we have plenty of stuff that we know they will accept but we’ll find a way I’m sure.

On a personal level, I’m happy at the cancellation of sports etc in order to bring the risks of exposure down. Feel like anything essential should really be taking a back seat right about now until the situation is resolved or at least significantly better

It's the financial implications. I have a 6 month old and trying to find baby milk today was a joke. 

These people stockpiling is causing even more of a problem. 

Going to struggle if the schools shut down as that's even more food required to feed my 3. 

We are just gonna have to get on with it. 

Keep calm and carry on. 

Stay safe folks 

Carl Fredrickson

My 87 year old mother lives with me. Registered blind, has hearing aids, lupus and respiratory issues. Despite all of this she tries to be independent and has various OAP groups she goes to. 

The Govts health minister announcing self isolation of over 70s put the fear into me this morning as I would be included in the isolation. My work allows me to work from home but unsure about how they would feel to a 4 month isolation as has been suggested on the BBC report. Scottish Govt arent taken such a hard line at the present, saying they want over 70s to restrict social contact. 

The nuclear part of this for me is that I get my two young kids from Friday to Monday and the possible dilemma i face is making me physically sick.

I do have siblings but they are selfish (some dont keep in contact or send birthday cards to my mum)

Scary, scary times.  

7 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

My 87 year old mother lives with me. Registered blind, has hearing aids, lupus and respiratory issues. Despite all of this she tries to be independent and has various OAP groups she goes to. 

The Govts health minister announcing self isolation of over 70s put the fear into me this morning as I would be included in the isolation. My work allows me to work from home but unsure about how they would feel to a 4 month isolation as has been suggested on the BBC report. Scottish Govt arent taken such a hard line at the present, saying they want over 70s to restrict social contact. 

The nuclear part of this for me is that I get my two young kids from Friday to Monday and the possible dilemma i face is making me physically sick.

I do have siblings but they are selfish (some dont keep in contact or send birthday cards to my mum)

Scary, scary times.  

Sorry to hear that, Carl. :( Would the other person who shares the kids with you consider a temporary arrangement to hang on to them full-time until this all blows over?

Carl Fredrickson
2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Sorry to hear that, Carl. :( Would the other person who shares the kids with you consider a temporary arrangement to hang on to them full-time until this all blows over?

Red, she would love to but the thought of 4 months without my kids makes me feel ill. TBH being my mums carer has restricted my life in a lot of ways and my kids are often what keep me going. 

Just now, Carl Fredrickson said:

Red, she would love to but the thought of 4 months without my kids makes me feel ill. TBH being my mums carer has restricted my life in a lot of ways and my kids are often what keep me going. 

You could be in regular video contact with them. Think of it like you were going on an extended trip overseas. I apologise if this comes across as uncaring in any way, btw. Just trying to find a solution.

on a lighter note, I'm probably in the at risk category at 65 reasonably fit & healthy and never get colds or flu so maybe  I'll be OK. My son at 31 is a sports journalist, what the feck is he going to write about for the foreseeable future...…………..pray for him!

3 minutes ago, argyjambo said:

on a lighter note, I'm probably in the at risk category at 65 reasonably fit & healthy and never get colds or flu so maybe  I'll be OK. My son at 31 is a sports journalist, what the feck is he going to write about for the foreseeable future...…………..pray for him!

Online eSports! One day, it will be all we have. ;)

Carl Fredrickson
2 hours ago, redjambo said:

You could be in regular video contact with them. Think of it like you were going on an extended trip overseas. I apologise if this comes across as uncaring in any way, btw. Just trying to find a solution.

Cheers. I watched Military Wives on Monday and what struck me hard was that the wives were left home with their kids when their partners went off with the army . The thought of that upsets me. A few days later it could be reality that I am not prepared for. Hopefully the SG stand will be effective enough.

1 minute ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Cheers. I watched Military Wives on Monday and what struck me hard was that the wives were left home with their kids when their partners went off with the army . The thought of that upsets me. A few days later it could be reality that I am not prepared for. Hopefully the SG stand will be effective enough.

I'm banking on the latter as well, living with my elderly parents. Is there any way that you can divide your flat/house up so that your mum can be kept apart from the kids as much as possible (using different bathrooms etc.)?

luckyBatistuta
2 hours ago, redjambo said:

Online eSports! One day, it will be all we have. ;)

Yup, my mates lad makes money from this. He got a job with RedBull through it.

Carl Fredrickson
4 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I'm banking on the latter as well, living with my elderly parents. Is there any way that you can divide your flat/house up so that your mum can be kept apart from the kids as much as possible (using different bathrooms etc.)?

Thought about it - two toilets but only one shower/bathroom. Also only one kitchen. This weekend i have kept their contact at minimum without letting on why but I think we will need to have a chat about it. Her attitude is that she has had a good innings but the thought of the end being caused by us isnt a pleasant thought. 

Bindy Badgy
17 hours ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Look into getting an aerobics step and use some of the free routines on YouTube. You can pick one up off Amazon for less than 20 quid. Obviously, it won't help with your desire to get outside but, it's good exercise.

Dropped my boys off at my folks early this morning before school. Both in their 70s but first thing my mum did was give my boys a hug and a kiss.

No virus is stopping my maw from hugging her grandkids...

🤣

Jambo-Jimbo
23 hours ago, weehammy said:

Glad that my parents have both passed away ( in advanced old age) as they would have been so scared and we would have been so worried about them. Now the Mrs and I just have to worry about ourselves!

Best wishes to everyone concerned about elderly relatives and friends.

Know what you mean, mine if alive would both be in their 80's now and probably quite frail, neither would have a clue about mobile phones far less computers, so would be totally useless at ordering anything online.

On 15/03/2020 at 09:52, Marvin said:

I have a pre-op assessment on 1/4/2020 for upcoming major surgery. Still going ahead it seems, only thing that concerns me is the hospital I'm referred to has previously been the centre of a MRSA outbreak. Worse still its supposed to be a state of the art modern hospital. 

At least if I cough on my morning commute to work I can have 2 seats to myself on the train. The speed that people move away from you is quite amusing.

Yes, i noticed how thats happening today   :)

I had Sepsis/Renal issues a couple of years ago which reoccurred when i got my Flu jab last year, and had to be taken into back into Hospital.  I am worried that when they eventually create a treatment/cure for this epidemic, it would not be safe for me to take it.......   Mind thats if i have not kicked the bucket by then...  :) 

Lots of my gigs have cancelled which leaves me in a fairly big financial pickle. No tourists means no money being made in that regards. Dunno how I am going to survive. Wife only works part time and she has already asked her boss for more hours but unfortunately he is in the same position. Talking about shutting his resturant during the day as he has no customers.

Utterly dire and I will admit I am hugely stressed and worried about it all. 

Two kids to feed. Couldn't care less about myself. If it wasn't so serious I would laugh in all honestly. 

Feel for everyone who is going through finacial difficulties and anyone with Ill health I wish the best. This period is sobering and when things recover and get better again I will certainly appreciate it far more. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

Just been put on a 3 day week as there's no orders coming in at work. Two guys paid off just now. :(

Health wise, concerned for my elderly parents. At least I'll have time to go shopping for them if they need to stay in!! 

dobmisterdobster
23 hours ago, Restonbabe said:

It's the financial implications. I have a 6 month old and trying to find baby milk today was a joke. 

These people stockpiling is causing even more of a problem. 

Going to struggle if the schools shut down as that's even more food required to feed my 3. 

We are just gonna have to get on with it. 

Keep calm and carry on. 

Stay safe folks 

Same. My six month old daughter needs milk, nappies and food jars.

Not bothered about myself but I can't have her go without.

Carl Fredrickson
22 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Dont know where you are based but Sainsburys at Straiton and Lidl (or is it Aldi) at Wester Hailes both had plenty of baby stuff today. 

My daughter loves spaghetti and I am down to the last few strands of it. I havent seen so many empty shelves in my life. Went on a soap hunt yesterday and today as I am running out and got some in Costco. They had a nice wooden garden bench but no spaghetti. 

For those worrying about mortgage payments, I'm pretty sure the banks will be accommodating to you taking a payment holiday. Obviously it'll be added onto the end of your repayment terms, but a small price to pay really.

On ‎15‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 14:26, Stokesy said:

That' what concerns me, I wish they would hurry up and close the schools so we can lock the family indoors. I am concerned by the time they do that the virus will have exploded in terms of numbers of carriers.

No extra income because of the lack of football. If the horses stop then my game is up for the time being. Will the government shut bookies and pubs soon? I'm cashing out as much as i can in betslips for the time being to get my holdings as close to zero as possible. When places like bookies get closed down we don't know if they'll be opening up again.

It's very quiet at work. No sensible person wants to be on a train. I'm not even doing my job properly, just covering the bare minimum. 

My Mrs is getting paranoid as she comes under an at risk group so she's doing my nut in. She's paranoid about what it means if she's advised to self isolate.

My Sainsbury order arrived with no supernoodles earlier. That sucks.

Was waiting on a new job offer last week, only to be told their board of directors have put all recruitment on hold. 

minor compared to some of the issues people have shared on this thread 

Bindy Badgy
On 15/03/2020 at 14:44, redjambo said:

Perhaps better to be safe than sorry, although that would be a difficult decision to make. If you're confident enough that you're taking sufficient precautions not to pass anything on then you might be ok. It would probably be best to ask the folk in charge of her chemo.

All best wishes to your mum, Stokesy, and to you.

Thanks mate.

Just spoke to my ex and agreed that our son should stay with her in Edinburgh for the time being. I stay in Fife. 

I'll still speak to him, facetime sort of thing, but will miss him not being here, being a moody teen, on his Xbox etc etc (only joking, he's not that moody!)

Wife has already had clients stopped (she's a complimentary therapist for adults in care) so financially a hit.

Oh well, still got my health! 🤔

7 hours ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Nappies and milk are obviously essential but food jars not so much.

I'm noticing there's plenty fruit and veg left in shops and it's pretty easy to turn them into meals for a 6 month old. Some decent recipes here  https://www.nhs.uk/start4life/weaning/recipes-and-meal-ideas/?gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=Cj0KCQjwx7zzBRCcARIsABPRscNhgbDpCQrCsi7s2WyptzCTlq-bPWukOK9KiASb13dDhU1LDagFf6kaAuX1EALw_wcB

7 hours ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Sure I read earlier today that if you call the number on the back of the milk jar they will send one out to you.

Dagger Is Back

The thing about this is that it affects or will affect, every single last one of us,

I’d like to see the Government establish a wide programme of support

- mortgage payment holidays

- utility bill holidays

- tax payment delays to include VAT

- access to cash savings without penalty

- linking in with TV companies to provide free of charge services and think about what kind of programmes could be provided to keep folks active and help mental health

Then I think, how the hell will that ever be made possible?

On 15/03/2020 at 10:29, argyjambo said:

From what I hear on TV here you are probably quite correct. The highest risk group are the over 80's especially those with health problems, they are the majority I believe of the area deceased. Three in particular from the same seniors care nursing home. If you are over eighty you have no complaints you have had a good kick at the ball, better us the any youngster with a life to look forward to.

doctor jambo

We are a 6 GP practice- should be 8 but recruitment has been difficult

we now have 2 GP 's in self isolation, so we are now half staffed for the next 2 weeks

the last week has been utterly hellish already

hundreds of phone calls per day

loads of the elderly now getting housecalls

already been in work since 6am.

this is a feckin nightmare

Jambo-Jimbo
12 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

We are a 6 GP practice- should be 8 but recruitment has been difficult

we now have 2 GP 's in self isolation, so we are now half staffed for the next 2 weeks

the last week has been utterly hellish already

hundreds of phone calls per day

loads of the elderly now getting housecalls

already been in work since 6am.

this is a feckin nightmare

It's only just began, gonna get a hell of a lot worse before it gets better.

doctor jambo
13 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

It's only just began, gonna get a hell of a lot worse before it gets better.

We are on the brink of collapse.

10000 patients many with cancer and other serious illness.

lose another 2 docs and it’s going to result in deaths, not due to the virus, but due to collapse in normal services 

Jambo-Jimbo
56 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

We are on the brink of collapse.

10000 patients many with cancer and other serious illness.

lose another 2 docs and it’s going to result in deaths, not due to the virus, but due to collapse in normal services 

Many many people will die all over the World due to this, that I'm afraid is the simple fact of this crisis.